Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Altran posted:

every game i tried with goons, wow, dota2, etc...there is a sense of "we don't care, we just here for the fun" factors in it, but the fact is that most of the guild/communities/corps are very try hard, with the mmr/item level/whatever of epeen measurement average much higher than other communities

my question is then are goons, not limited to eve, but SA games community actually the most try hard neckbeards of them all? even if we just say we don't care about the epeen measurement stats

The upper management of the Goon guild in this game try very hard and take it very seriously. As a result, everyone else gets to chill out, fly what they want, and until recently amass truly staggering amounts of money by AFK farming.

My interpretation of a tryhard is someone who tries very hard for mediocre results, as opposed to someone who tries hard and exceeds. Neither of these things should be considered insults; always do your best, no matter how you bad you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Altran posted:

i noticed, especially gsol dudes, other's work are not very noticeable from a line member's point of view.

and char mender's one man freight service, why is he immune to burn out?

I plan to send Angelique a glowingly worded Evemail thanking her and ITL for all their hard work, hopefully as a reminder that they're well appreciated.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Valatar posted:

So with this new station poo poo, are POSes gone? W-space was my favorite thing about eve, but living in a bubble and having to pray that nobody stole my ships out of the corporate hangar really wore on me after a while. If it's finally possible to dock in a wormhole, my interest is slightly piqued.

Citadels are in wormholes, and it has changed everything for the better. I specifically waited to join Holesquad until after Citadels were released and I have been pleasantly surprised with how well things are working thanks to them.

Incidentally, I finally finished training Command Ships. Could someone :ullerrm: a good small gang Amarr or Caldari Command Ship fit?

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 23, 2016

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Hole Violence uses Sleipners as a doctrine.

Minmatar BC V is in the queue right after I finish Command Ships IV. My Leadership character doesn't have Projectiles so the Claymore will have to do.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 23, 2016

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

I did something like that with the Astero I used to run highsec DED plexes. Eventually I realized how phenominally dumb it was to have 500m in deadspace fittings on a frigate, and retired that particular autism chariot.

Kept the Sansha scram, though. I use it to gank wormhole explorers now. :smugdog:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Fly a Proteus, if you have the skills for it. You get naturally high EM/Thermal resist and boatloads of extra damage, on top of the safety of a long-range scram.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Eris is the worst of the interdictors, but it's still an interdictor, and those are always welcome for gatecamps.

Magus is the Gallente Jump Destroyer, and is the third most useful ship to have on a gatecamp.

Daredevils and Vigilants require Minmatar Frigate/Cruiser skills, but if you can fly it, those are the second most useful ships to have on a gatecamp. Daredevil moreso, since it's fast enough to burn for a decloak on anybody trying to slip your camp.

e: there's also an instant-locking Keres, which is really useful for the ~40km point and long scram.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 16, 2016

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

there's a handful of cases where you want them to be at 4 so the penalty for having the rig doesn't affect your ability to fit a ship, but for the most part they're not worth it. The only time I think you actually NEED a rig skill to be at V is for industry purposes.

Specifically, the various weapon rigging and armor rigging skills should be considered on par with basic fitting skills when it comes to training. If you're looking for something to train, bringing those up to IV or V is not wasted SP.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

This patch could have just been the new additions to the Tactical Overlay and I would have been a happy camper. Do you know how long I've been waiting for a Heading indicator?

I'm so happy.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Elsa posted:

I'm still disappointed. It's based on the ship model and not velocity.

It is. The vector arrow increases in length the faster your ship goes. Same for other ships approaching you, too. You can tell at a glance if something is faster to you, their heading, and how tight your orbit is. All this is stuff that you can glean from a properly set up Overview, but I am 100% for taking information out of that box and putting it into the game space where it belongs.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Elsa posted:

There's a difference, though it's small. You could say negligible. A ship model's rate of rotation is capped and it's possible the velocity changes faster than the rotation of the ship model. And I agree with you, I've made quite a few suggestion threads about getting rid of the number soup called overview in favor of a real HUD.

Either you've been undocking in unpropped Battleships or I'm having a stroke and can't understand what you're writing here.

There's a big blue arrow. Points which direction your ship is going. Gets longer as you go faster. Different from the one that shows up when you click in space to move.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

And that, ladies and gennelmen, is why you put a faction or officer multispec on your widow.

I'm assuming that was a regengu you died to - those things are pretty obnoxious, and basically unkillable by any single ship short of a supercap.

I'm watching the stream. I'm not familiar with the Regengu, but his fit has a shield booster, cap injector, and what I assume to be a 100mn afterburner.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

https://zkillboard.com/kill/54865027/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/54864634/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/54865024/

Fun ship. Too bad I burnt out my MSE when I was burning for the guy, might have stayed alive. The Init. guys showed up about halfway through to jump him off a gate, I felt especially cool to be a part of that.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 29, 2016

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Someone talk to me about the the Dramiel. I took it out for a bit of a run and heated up to 7km/s. Is this thing basically an Interceptor murderer? 'cause it seems like it's very good at that.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Ten hours later, my single Capital ship is comfortably sitting in Sakht. I know it's been said many times before, but holy poo poo, gently caress Greyscale.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

While I'm sure there are lots of legitimate reasons to have exclusive AT ships, I would prefer it if CCP just gave everyone a 1-run BPC of each of the ships when the AT finishes. There's so much interesting design space that the AT ships take up that we're never going to see because CCP needs to feed PL their yearly welfare cheque. Makes it difficult to get excited for the Alliance Tournament.

On the other hand, I hope next year's Alliance Tournament is sponsored by ORE.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Eh, not really seeing it. The prize ships are, by design, so overpowered that they couldn't realistically be made generally available without dominating the game to an extent that would make the Orthrus and Svipul seem fair and balanced. I'm also not sure which particular niches you think are occupied by prize ships to the exclusion of regular ones. The only one that springs to mind is covops-bridgeable logistics, but it's not the existence of the Etana or the new armor one that's keeping CCP from making ships with those capabilities generally available, it's concerns about their general balancing.

In terms of design space, there's a lot of things that AT ships do that are really interesting; the Cambion has that massive module overheat bonus, the Whiptail is a drone Interceptor, the Sansha's HIC can move full speed with its bubble up, and the two AT combat CovOps ships are basically the Blood Raider and Angels version of the Astero.

Balancing them is a given, but I don't generally have a problem with them being odd outliers when it comes to the things they can do -- they're Pirate (and Navy) ships, they're supposed to break the rules and do unusual things. It would be insanely cool to be able to fly (balanced) Imps and Malices and Chremoas in places other than SiSi.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

That'll probably dip though. Most of the AT ships CCP have released are far better as a pair than on their own, meaning their value in the AT is now diminished which affects their price. Added that you rarely ever saw them outside the AT, and the ships will pretty much be unused inside it now as well save for the Etana which apparently is OK to use on its own in a comp without a mate.\

Edit - Also the other people are correct, making the AT ships widespread available for 2-3bil or whatever with their stats is stupid and bad for the game. CCP either need to stop doing prize ships (they won't since that's the main draw for teams to compete in the AT) or change the prize payout structure again (they did it 2 years ago) so that its less top heavy. Right now it's a lot better than it was during say AT10 when only 1st & 2nd place got the goods, which is why you'd see HYDRA try their hardest to fix matches so they could get 1st & 2nd place (only to get caught doing it twice :v:). They didn't care about winning the AT itself, they cared about getting the shitload of money off selling the AT ships etc.

It would be cool if CCP put nerfed versions of the AT ships in their respective faction's LP stores when the AT finished, and instead just had a massive 5 trillion or however much prize pool. As it stands I have no reason to get excited for AT seasons, there's maybe 200~odd people who participate, and none of the strategies or fits have any relevance on TQ outside of massive gimmicks.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Edit 2 - Oh and lol at the "PL welfare check" whinging people are doing. The AT payouts/winnings are pretty much isolated from the rest of PL's finances per the public reports PhalanxIII (PL's head finance dude until this year) put out on TMC. Running B0T was far more lucrative and integral to PL's overall needs than the AT was. That's what happens when you make a trillion ISK per month.

:thejoke:

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 27, 2016

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Sunber posted:

Except that hics are generally disposable in that situation (supers doing gently caress-off dps I mean) as they are likely to die in a fire

Bringing HICs to regular fleets is also viable, since a 33+km scram is goddamn wacky.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

It's literally just gonna be a bus for my rattle to get from DED to DED with a cyno from my alt. I am far too terrible at this game to actually fly a carrier. I mean, eventually I'll have skills to use it, but that's a future problem. For now, I would be surprised if it is ever on grid with anything other than a station/cit.

Also, I have no idea what lvl 5s are (or 4 or anything for that matter).

Side story: Yesterday a Tengu hotdropper caught me on the gate to enter a site. I was in the site before, saw probes on dscan, docked up. He bookmarked the gate and left system. I waited 10-15 minutes and undocked and headed back. He popped back into system and warped to gate and scrammed me before I could get aligned.

I said my good bye to my 1b+ ship. and just deployed drones to fight him in the mean time. After 3-4 minutes of him orbitting me, he took off. He was only at 50% shields. I assume his friends were either afk or just out of range, because he ended up dropping someone 2 jumps away about 10 minutes after. Lucky me.

Smart money's on forgetting the Liquid Ozone to light the Cyno if he was orbiting you.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

ullerrm posted:

The Vagabond is vicious if it can actually maintain tackle. The problem is, it's a four mid ship for an active tank. So you have basically four viable options as far as mids are concerned:

* Prop mod, tackle, invuln, XLSB with a bunch of cap regen mods in the lows (i.e. no DPS to speak of)
* Prop mod, tackle, XLSB, injector/cap battery
* Prop mod, tackle, invuln/second-tackle-mod, XLASB (if you don't kill it before reload, rip)
* Prop mod, tackle, 2x LASB (tank's not very good)

So while it's got tons of tank, it struggles to stay in tackle range (much less autocannon range) with only a single prop mod and tackle. Most good fits for it are AB/scram, which severely limits its flexibility and makes it prone to being kited by Balanced Legion ships or caught by gatecamps.

The Deimos (and for that matter, the dual rep Phobos) basically does the same thing a million times better because it can spend its lows on tank instead of its mids, giving it a reasonable set of tackle.
The 100mn + cap battery + LASB Vagabond is legit. Turns like a brick, but can out-tank anything it can't outrun. Mordu's Legion ships will run out of ammo far before you run out of tank.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

I'm dangerously close to having fun with this game.

Delve is so cool guys. There's so much fighting, I can undock and get into a scrap just three jumps from Sakht with whatever I'm willing to fly.

I love the Slicer so much: https://zkillboard.com/kill/55424870/
I love how Drop turns it into a murder machine.
I love how much damage it does from fuckoff ranges.
I even love how badly I've been getting owned every time I screw up.

I love drugs, I love lasers, this game is good, go and PvP.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

MorsAnima posted:

What do you do when you encounter a lone... svipul

The deadliest game.

But nah. So far my experience has been to keep a wide orbit and stay out of scram distance; Gamma is well enough within long point range that I can apply full damage. I haven't been able to kill any of them yet though, because the Slicer doesn't have enough cap to run two guns, an MWD, and a long point for more than a minute.

I've been putting real thought into dropping one of the tank modules in favour of a cap relay, or maybe picking up Mindflood instead. It's an amazing skirmish ship, but has very little staying power.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I've been dabbling in solo PVP. I'm awfully bad at it though :smith:

I might just stick to ganking miners.

This is one of those little secrets of the Solo PvPer: their killboards are mostly losses. I mean look at mine -- that Garmur was a sweet kill, but you didn't see the 250m+ in faction frigates and T3Ds I slammed into a gatecamp the day before.

You're going to lose way more ships than you kill, but keep at it. It's a learned skill, like everything, and eventually you pick up your Game Sense that'll give you a near-instinctive understanding of what to do in a fight. Before you know it you'll be posting solo vs gang pvp videos and airing bad opinions about balance all over /r/eve.

I like to call it the Chessur arc.

ullerrm posted:

:love:

A man after my own heart.

I saw you roaming earlier in a Jaguar! How did that turn out?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

the aeon used to be the best super but is now probably the 2nd worst with the citadel changes

the hel is now the best super, which 2011 me never thought I'd say (nyx is close 2nd)

Wait what makes the Wyvern the worst?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Libluini posted:

Even in in-game chat people were talking about PL losing. Nice to see someone else win!

Anyway, I wanted to talk about Assault Frigates for a bit, so:

Crosspost for maximum coverage:

Are people still complaining about OP T3Ds and how awful Assault Frigates are? Because I had an idea!

Link to the EVE-forums if you can stand the awfulness.

So, would this change bring Assault Frigates back from oblivion? Too much? Not enough?

From a microgang/solo perspective, this would effectively remove any frigate without 4 midslots from the game. Anything that can't fit at least two webs, an afterburner, and tackle is going to be incapable of fighting an assault frigate; there's a reason the 10mn Confessor is so popular, and it's not because of the speed:sig ratio.

e: to clarify, the meta is already heavily skewed towards webs thanks to the oversized afterburner resurgence, and this won't do anything to help AFs except make every other ship worse. Buffing them like this won't solve the problem with T3Ds being so powerful, it'll just bring more restrictions to fitting as everything shifts to two different loadouts for ships: anything that can kill an AF vs AFs.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 18, 2016

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

I've blown up hecates with a solo sabre, they're still crazy good, and the best dictor

I like the Hecate, but it is absolutely the worst T3D of the four, and is pretty much just a bad ship overall.

Just conceptually, it's an extremely poorly thought out ship. You have:
  • A blaster ship with extremely low base speed.
  • A weird incentive to fit an MWD on a brawling ship, but with none of the things that make MWDs worth fitting.
  • One more turret slot than the Svipul or Confessor, but less power grid.
  • The extremely low base speed and outright criminally low mass means a 1mn Afterburner fit Hecate is slower than some unpropped frigs.
  • That loving local rep speed bonus. I could spend paragraphs on how poorly thought out it is. Whomever thought this was a good idea needs to have their head checked. Among other reasons, it a) discourages fitting an MWD because of reduced cap b) actively punishes you for fitting an Ancillary Armor Repairer since it dries out your charges faster for effectively zero benefit, and c) forces you to give up a precious mid slot for a cap booster.
  • The same capacitor capacity as a Jackdaw (875Gj), on a ship that needs to use cap for its guns.
  • To consider that the Confessor has a 10%/level cap reduction on guns and 1000Gj at Cap Management V. At max skills the Confessor is actually using less cap to fire its guns than the Hecate, while sitting on 12.5% more capacitor.

All of this coming together means there's really only one good way to fit a Hecate:

code:
[Hecate, 2-web bulk rails]

Reinforced Bulkheads II
Reinforced Bulkheads II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
IFFA Compact Damage Control

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier

150mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
[Empty High slot]

Small Transverse Bulkhead I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit II

Requires a 1% CPU implant.
Dual webs, bulkheads, and rails.

But don't get too excited. Most things that have a scram+single web will still outrun you.

It makes me really angry that such an interesting looking ship is so garbage.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

how long can you queue skills on an alpha account?

24 hours.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Zephyrine posted:

There are several reasons why Bhaalgorns dropped in price. The introduction of capital neuts meant that "dropping Bhaals" was no longer the most elite way to disable a super. At the same time the fighter changes meant that Bhaals used against supers and carriers will be vaporized in seconds.

Capital Neut effectiveness is reduced by sig radius. They're marginally useful against other caps, but for the most part Bhaals are still the best way to cap someone out in a fight. Their webs are also pretty good at making Fighters more manageable to kill. Bhaals still have a place in small gang and wormhole pvp, the price is just another example of what we've been doing for years to Rattlesnakes in Deklein.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

They do when you lose tackle off EC-300s. :negative:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is there a good write up of the new citadel arrays they just introduced? Basically just a summary of what they do would be nice since I missed that stuff.

Disclaimer: I've not done as much research as I should have, so take this only as a guideline. Some of the numbers could be off.

Engineering Complexes heavily favour specialization in production; the specific reason for this are the rigs they use:

* Medium rigs for Raitarus are divided by class; T1 ship size (small, med, large), components, fuel, all kinds of research, T2 ship size (small, med, large again) etc. all have rigs meant to increase ME, and another set of the same type for TE.

* Large rigs for Azbels combine the ME and TE increases, but still restrict by class, so if you wanted to make a subcap production Azbel, you'd spend all three of your rig slots on Small, Medium, and Large ship and have nothing else for components, research, or T2 ships.

* XL rigs for Sotiyo are much broader, giving ME and TE increases to entire grades; if you wanted to produce T2 ships from BPC to T1 to component to T2 hull, you can do that using a Sotiyo.

While the ECs themselves have a built-in 1% ME bonus, the real value comes from the rigs, with T2 obviously being the best. The benefits scale according to sec status; highsec x1, Low x1.9, Null x2.1. A Highsec Raitaru would give a 2.9% ME bonus, a lowsec would give a 4.7% ME bonus, and a null would give 5.1%. None of this, of course, is taking into account the TE bonus the rigs give you, assuming they're even fit.

So what does this mean?

Any given large-scale production system could have dozens of Raitarus, up to a dozen Azbels, or two Sotiyos (only three rig slots, natch). If you're doing vertically integrated T2 ship production, you'd need a Raitaru for:

* Invention and Copying TE
* Component ME/TE
* T1 Ship ME/TE
* T2 Ship ME/TE

For one hull class. If you wanted to make a different size class of ship, you need two additional Raitarus -- one rigged for medium T1 ship ME/TE, the other for medium T2 ME/TE.

And remember that each of these things can be in a single system, driving up the System Index and making your jobs more expensive.

So, where do producers stand? If you're a high or lowsec producer, join a null corp and use their ECs. If you have access to an Amarr T3 station, don't feel bad about using it, a T1 rigged Raitaru barely beats it by a rounding error, and you end up getting more diverse options for what you can build without shipping materials all over a system. If you have a T2 rigged Raitaru, use that above all else, but keep in mind that Amarr T3 stations have significant TE bonuses as well.

If you or your organization manage to erect a Sotiyo that isn't stuck in a dead-end and easily defensible system pumping out supercaps all day, treasure that fucker because it will do everything you want it to do.

And finally there are T2 rigs, which I won't get into and solely exist to make efficiency-obsessed turbospergs like myself weep bitterly at rig prices. Suffice it to say that T2 rigged Sotiyos are only viable in the realm of large coalition assets and the filthy filthy rich.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Even odds they'll just drop supers on whoever they want until someone does something stupid, loses a Titan, then it's off to Tribute to practice for the AT.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Kalthor posted:

For the people living in spooky wormholes - what's the ship/fit of choice for scanning down wormhole chains?

I've been using a Covert Ops Helios loaded with various Scan arrays which seems to work but I would love to know what the professionals are using. :shobon:

Any of the T2 CovOps ships work. If you're dedicated directly to scanning wormholes and nothing else, that's the ship you'd want to use, as it can slip into frigate-only holes and gets places really quickly.

If you want to do a bit of light fighting, I have a combat Astero that I use when I want go to find a fight with, say, a lone interdictor camping a pipe.

code:
[Astero, Injected Dual Rep]

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Small Armor Repairer II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
Warp Scrambler II
5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive

Core Probe Launcher II, Sisters Core Scanner Probe
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Ancillary Current Router II
Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II

Hobgoblin II x5
Acolyte II x5
Warrior II x5

Cargo Scanner II x1
Standard Exile Booster x1
Nanite Repair Paste x52
Sisters Core Scanner Probe x8
Relic Analyzer II x1
Data Analyzer II x1
Navy Cap Booster 400 x10
I keep a Mobile Depot and explorer refit in the cargo in case a juicy site comes up on scan.

I know some people use T3s to do scanning, but the only fit I know is a shitload of medium smartbombs in the highs so you can blow away covops without having to lock and decloak.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

various cheeses posted:

So I'm curious, what's the current state of the CFC? If we no longer hold Dek, what are we doing?

Did we lose the game?

We're all in Delve, making a mockery of Highsec by flexing our unironic Drone mining Rorqual backbone.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

Faction ships as a whole though are kind of a mixed bag right now; all 3 guristas ships are amazing and see widespread use, whereas the serpentis and blood hulls are all very niche and not widely used. Both machs and nightmares are popular, and the cynabal and phantasm have decent uptake, although both dramiels and succubi are very niche. Rogue drone ships would be super cool IMO.

I'd say faction ships are all in a pretty good place right now; Phantasms, Vigilants, Ashimmus are all pretty popular solo boats, and of the frigates you mentioned, the Daredevil will never be bad as long as it has that web bonus, the Succubus shits on anything without a web, and the Dramiel is probably the game's most versatile frigate, especially after the small artillery buff.

The Dram in particular gets a bad rap probably because people are so quick to compare it to the Garmur, but it flies -- or should be flown -- like a dual prop scram kiter that holds people at 6km and comfortably applies damage in falloff.

I haven't played much the last couple weeks, but I've been taking this Dramiel around and have had some small success with it:

code:
[Dramiel, ~ω~ Hawk]

Damage Control II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II
1MN Afterburner II

150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Nova Rocket
150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Projectile Burst Aerator I

Acolyte II x1
Acolyte II x3

Barrage S x2621
Republic Fleet EMP S x999
Republic Fleet Fusion S x2000
Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S x972
Nova Rage Rocket x1080
Nanite Repair Paste x55
It's simply the fastest frigate in space, and that kind of speed combined with a solid tank makes it chew up Garmurs, Interceptors, and other high-speed paper thin ships. It's also fast enough to run away from whatever it can't beat, so that's an upside.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

https://zkillboard.com/kill/59728257/

Who needs expensive ships to be good at PvP?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

working mom posted:

The eris suffers from the same problem that all 2-mid slot ships have, not enough flexibility, especially in solo/small gang settings. When you have to take a prop mod, your only other mid is likely to be a scram in the eris' case, so you can get ab/scram/web kited to death.

Honestly I do hope :ccp: look at 2 mid ships and fix them by adding another, even if it means removing a low or nerfing them in some other regard, right now they are just so under utilised because outside of some niche cases they just aren't worth taking over another ship

It's not as bad as you think for 2 Midslot ships: A Neutron Catalyst or Eris with Null loaded gets over 11km falloff, more than enough to pick off anything trying to scram kite it, Focused Pulse Coercers reach out to 19km with Scorch, and even the Retribution gets an optimal range bonus on its lasers. While that Eris was obviously poorly fit, 2 mids isn't an indictment of a useless ship.

The Punisher only has two mids too, but ask Pax Sex if he ever regrets taking one out for a roam through Delve and you'll probably be surprised at his response.

Besides that, the Cormorant and Thrasher have three mids, but they need to fit an MSE for tank, too, so they're still working under the same restrictions. The Cormorant in particular is actually an even worse Catalyst; less tank, less fitting room, less damage. It's even slower. The only thing it makes up for is costing half what a properly fit PvP Catalyst does on account of SAAR prices still being hosed.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 5, 2017

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

Casino war forced us to abandon our space didn't it?

Also the two mid destroyers could just use some better fitting to offset their two mids. Coercer can't do decent against anything because you run out of cap in less than 2 minutes without fitting cap mods/rigs, where as all the other destroyers need little or no capacitor to do their job. Yes indeed, do try to pit a coercer against a claw with 50km range. It's good with a fleet if you have someone to tackle for you.

That's a bad faith argument. In your hypothetical there's nothing stopping either ship from just warping out. Meanwhile, cap management is just as important a skill to learn as kiting or holding tackle; the Slicer gets under 40s with everything running, but nobody calls that a bad ship even with its two mids and limited fitting.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

working mom posted:

While true that they aren't completely useless, they are hindered a lot by only having 2 mids, even the corm could fit a MASB for an active tank, trying that on an eris would make you cap yourself out in 20 secs. Also, the kills you linked are all not completely combat fit with having cloaks/being hyperspacial fit etc so I'd argue that the sabres in particular would win if fully combat fit.

They Don't.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

omg :3:

Deja do you want me to share some alpha friendly ship fits for your race? Caldari actually have some really great pvp options in their T1 ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

Sure I'll take all advice I can get. I am really liking the Cormorant so far.

code:
[Cormorant, Alpha Cormorant]

Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer

Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner

Anode Light Neutron Particle Cannon I, Caldari Navy Tungsten Charge S
[Empty High slot]

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I
Small Core Defense Field Extender I

Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x800
As a new player, you probably won't be able to fit this perfectly, but that's alright.

The whole thing will cost you about 6m~ isk, can deal up to 300dps at 2km with Antimatter, 150dps to about 7km with Tungsten, depending on your skills.

Basic idea is this: get within 1km, apply Antimatter. If you're fighting another Destroyer, your superior range control means you can load Tungsten and keep them at a distance where you're applying perfectly while they're dealing in Falloff distances.

Sabres and other Interdictors are especially vulnerable to this. With clever piloting you can take down a ship ten times your cost. Don't expect to do it immediately, but with practice you'll know what you can take, and easily be able to win fights against overconfident opponents.

• Locked thread