Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I watched PL gameplay suck the life out of my friends. They gave away their stuff and won EVE and now I have half their poo poo.

So can I have your stuff

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Reverand maynard posted:

The amount of people that would need to be in the know for a trap is pretty small. Someone to offline the tower, a FC, and someone like gigx on comms to explain that they are no longer in the cfc

The amount of EVE players required for such a plan is approximately 900 lbs

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Rhymenoserous posted:

Defender missiles could be interesting if they didn't only target missiles aimed at you.

Or if they targeted bombs

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Endie posted:

Part of me feels that you'd probably want a whole weapons-system that only targeted bombs, since the ability to firewall a bit with defenders then clear bombs then swap to anti-ship dps seems on the powerful side. But another way to counter bombers would be good, yeah.

I just have deep Caldari PVE roots and extensive missile skills, so it's just wishful thinking. Bomb defense would be a hell of a role and Newbie Caldari missile ships would be superstars.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm against AOE anything, and would also like to avoid asking for more dev resources.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I suppose smartbombs already do the same thing as a flak cannon would, and better. Area damage in a sphere.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
They should be called shockwaves

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I wonder what the Fadeklein alliance is about.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Altran posted:

Ok I have been on pl.pl forum for my phorde spy (can you even call it a spy?), and I stumbled upon snigg public recruitment thread, one of the question that gets asked alot in there is to post a dread travel fit, and someone even went as far as saying none of the thread in the recruitment forum is correct. i am just curious, what is a correct dread travel fit? i think the inquirer didn't gave enough information , do i expect to travel with a group, or solo? am i using jump drive or star gates, etc...

I think they would be satisfied with an answer like, I'm not eating space aids for a 3 billion ISK ship, and I'd rather buy it on site or just exclude myself from dread pings when we get wherever you were looking to travel to.

If I have to travel with a dread I'd rather just keep a mobile depot and a MWD on hand. You can get dreads to enter warp in one MWD cycle with as little as a leadership booster in fleet with Skirmish Warfare V trained. So in the sense of gate travel just MWD cycle like the supers should be doing. For jump travel you can dock or your Nag should have cap injectors anyway since you should be ninja sieging.

But for the most part a dread fit of mine is no different from a combat fit save for a mwd and a mobile depot.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
A lot of those questions sound plausible to most people but to some people it's like asking how you would fit your Avatar for mining ice.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Dr. Pangloss posted:

66 contracts and an ISK transfer later and one of my characters is now devoid of all assets and isk, excluding one set of +4 Int / Mem implants when I remap in about 10 days. Inspired by VG, I'm taking him on a walkabout, starting with a Pend Insurance provided Velator, my mission will be to take him from nothing to something. Not sure what the ultimate goal is yet, but I like the idea of having a character that can fly any frigate, destroyer or cruiser and seeing what I can do with him.

With a 2-month old, I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with Eve anyway, or join fleets late at night as usual, so this will give me some direction and casual goals to reach for.

Any thoughts on restrictions? I'm thinking I can't join a corp, but I can form one once I can afford it, to avoid taxes. Also thinking that I have to try to kill something at least once a day (that I play).

I did something similar since yesterday but it was basically putting a new character into horde. I haven't ratted with anything lower than 50 million SP in five years and this morning I found myself pulling serpentis frigates away from its cruiser friends.

I loving hate to loving say it goddammit but the motherfucking dailies WoW bullshit is fun. gently caress.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
gently caress you CCP for forcing me to rediscover fun in a shitskilled rifter.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

somnolence posted:

Incentive for everyone to log in and undock once a day. :D

And I'm upset about how eager I am to get home and take a few more of my ultra low sp cyno alts through their dailies. The first character I took through a daily was a 50M SP character in a Raptor with T2 guns. I took a level 1 mission to avoid having to wait for belt spawns and found that I could blap frigate rats. Instead of stopping at the first rat I found the blapping and agility so satisfying that I finished the mission.

Motherfucking stupid game.

But with so much SP it's not very satisfying to have another TEN THOUSAND WHOLE S-Pees :hawaaaafap:. Sure enough, take the same 10k and spend it upgrading a bunch of core skills from level one to two and the daily is a half hour of fun and possibly some refit to go with it after freeing up some fitting with skills.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Haha totally not ninja edit snipe

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

If you want a really silly restriction, you could try 'iron man' and past a certain point only use modules you loot on your ships.

This is phenomenally dumb and that's why I suggest it

There is a real sense of accomplishment in killing larger and larger rats with modules pulled from their wrecks

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

CommonShore posted:

How would you get hulls?

you can always double up on civilian guns on the Ibis and start over

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I sold a young member of GSF 12 injectors for 4 PLEX as a small experiment and I've been meaning to follow up with him to see how he's doing. I'm not completely convinced injectors are a good habit for the younglings. I agree completely with 10k SP awarded as a trickle, but not a pile of 500,000.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I feel like SP addiction would be in the DSM if it wasn't an activity in a video game played by 40 people.

poo poo I feel like EVE would be in the DSM for that matter.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Morris posted:

I used it to get past some of the more ridiculous time-gated skills (CPU/Powergrid/Electronics Upgrades/Hull Upgrades/Weapon Upgrades 5) and ultimately into an interceptor and bomber weeks earlier than I could have otherwise. At the time those were basically the only fleets going out and if I had spent another month spinning in a shitfit T1 frigate with gimped fittings I may not have kept playing.

Granted I was able to due this largely thanks to an unusual windfall for a newbie, because CODE. had paid me 3b for finding them a plex-tanked Obelisk :v:

I wish they'd stop with level V prereqs and move toward a wider range of ship effectiveness based on skills and specializations. Wanna fly a racial cruiser level 1 HAC? Have your HAC but enjoy incredibly poo poo fitting and DPS.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Ledenko posted:

I have an alt with a confused set of skills that I plan to sap of all sp I can. I don't fancy subbing it because I don't plan on playing with it. Can I use hours for plex for it or is that frowned upon?

They never know. You can also initiate a character transfer after activating the account using hours for PLEX.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

I'm considering getting about 10b (JDC V...) of injectors to put one of my guys in a panther

Injectors are good for that, but they get quite expensive once you want SP intensive things

for what skill? I also want to advise you it's a waste of ISK if you don't get all 500k SP per injector.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I killed my alt in a machariel who happened to be transporting skill injectors and PLEX. FC what do

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Hexyflexy posted:

CCP losing CCP Veritas is the dumbest thing they've ever done. He is by far the best (and only, as far as I can tell) good computer scientist they've ever had on payroll. Did his thing (Brain in a Box and a bunch of optimisation stuff for years), got bored of CCP, hosed off.

Veritas staying at CCP would be one of the dumbest things he could do as a programmer, in the opportunity cost alone of working on code that isn't poo poo. Staying would mean continually obsoleting himself. At some point you have to realize a thing just doesn't have to be your problem.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

So I'm considering getting a Wyvern, even though they're poo poo, because I've always wanted a Wyvern

it's not a terrible idea, right?

do you know what the new fighter/ bomber mechanics are like? I suggest experiencing that before deciding any supercarrier is a good idea.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

for me, it's a free skill injector every 40 days, so I'll take it willingly

I bet you will

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Reverand maynard posted:

Its literally just killing a single frigate rat in my guardian then warping off. A monthly lore thick story line mission that gave out sp would be preferable IMO as the current use feels dumb. It doesn't encourage you to play eve it encourages you to log in an alt, kill a frig then log out.

To a person who worships metrics, there's no difference.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

bluegoon posted:

Can you actually run missions in a SB?

As a gimmick you can run missions in pretty much anything. I also did a flycatcher level 4 but I can't find the pictures fast enough to reply with it in a timely manner.

Level 4 mission

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone think up a Velator fit that can run level 4s.

Stock. There's that one mission where all you have to do is loot Quafe from a container and bounce.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

so my new GF plays eve, should I tell her I do too?

yeah and make bad puns about ganking dat rear end etc in bed

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
:siren: woop woop ma'am this is the faction police commander I'm here to scan your cargo :siren:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

yeah i'm not going to read that sorry

The guy didn't know how to explain EVE to his girlfriend to even ask if he can play when she's around. Then one night they're making sex and she poops in his hand. He uses that opportunity to sit her down at the computer and tell her about EVE.

Different situation, but appropriately Syndic Thrass.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ullerrm posted:

Ironically, when they took them off the store, they couldn't give them away. They had tons of back stock, to the point that everyone at Eve Vegas one year got an Apoc model free, so that CCP could write them off.

That said, someone's made a Triexporter-to-STL converter, so if you have access to a good printer and are willing to do your own painting, easy enough to make your own models.

Thanks. For clarification, is this "EveNT team makes the fits, and teams have to use them as-is"? Because that's simultaneously interesting and awful.

I was about to buy a ticket to EVE Vegas that year just because I was in Los Angeles and it was easy enough. The free ship model was the thing that put me over the edge. But then they changed the Golem model and that's what I wanted, to paint the Raven model like a Golem in the Lai Dai paint. Easy enough. So then I didn't go, and I don't want the Raven model anymore.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Syndic Thrass posted:

gently caress is that supposed to mean

You know, not completely relevant but gets posted anyway

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
so I decided to check on the moros and how big they made the fleet hangar and ship maintenance bay and

A MOROS HAS 10,000 M3 FLEET HANGAR AND 1,000,000 M3 SHIP MAINTENANCE BAY?????

holy poo poo

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ullerrm posted:

Yep, every capital now has a big gently caress off SMA, and refit capabilities. I keep my HAW guns in my fleet hangar.

Sadly, there's not a ton of use for the SMA on most dreads. I keep a spare cyno ship in mine, and a bunch of unfitted frigates to use as chaff when shooting sticks.

(And you STILL can't fit anything in the Rorqual's SMA except miners and haulers. :ccp:)

oh wow. the chaff thing is an excellent idea. :haw:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Eonwe posted:

pretty good

I recall your av being much more... muchier

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
it looks to me like we're at 2008 levels, can't really accuse me of spinning that due to bias. What I worry for are the newer space games that flat out do the space experience better. I don't see it drawing players away but it will certainly present some tempting alternatives.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FranktheBank posted:

I heard a lot of good things about the Tengu soloing Sansha 10/10s. Killing only what needs to be killed to go to the next room. What kind of fit would I be looking at?

I would tell you but I don't know. The only person who ever admitted to doing Tengu 10/10s taunted me with the ISK they earned and nothing else. suzy rc mudstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Nunes posted:

Are there any good resources online that I can do some reading to learn basic principles and ideas for learning to get better at pvp? I primarily want to understand how to start thinking about fitting and how to recognize if I have the right ship/fit for a particular engagement in pvp. I hope this question makes sense. I don't have a lot of successful experience with pvp.

I didn't begin to understand modules until a year in, and just filled mids with hardeners and used cruise missiles on PVE battleships because lol 200km range (farther is good, right?)

You can pvp in whatever you want, but if you want to win you have to recognize which fights to take.

If I recognize a ship by name it's because I've been killed by it several times.

• Locked thread