Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Why are y'all talking up teeth as such a boon? Do they do anything other than the one recipe?

I just set my scanner near the forest to teeth and boom got more than I'd need the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stalker teeth can usually be found in piles under the floating scrap metal stacks that build up in the middle of Stalker territory.

Yeah, I just grabbed about 20 and put them in a locker and kept waiting to do something other than enameled glass. I made maybe 10 enameled glass the entire game, so just kept shaking the tooth locker going "c'mon, do something..."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, slap my rear end and call me Maida, that's it. That's where it is.

Good god, I can't believe I didn't check there.

Thank you all!!

Same thing happened to me. I never found it until I basically finished everything under 600m. Would have saved me a lot of fruitless searching for lost river entrances.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I feel very seen. gently caress driving that school bus between juvie leviathans.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So you know when you are in the end game with the sea emperor the AI voice says that local predators have been pacified unexpectedly?

I thought that meant it was safe outside, ie sea dragons.

So when I got done in there and needed to go back to my lost river base, I see a dragon just chilling in the middle of the lava lake, back turned to me. So I swim up to it and scan it. Then I go back and get in my prawn. I start samus-grapling my way across the lake and sudden I hear the ROAAAAAAAAAAR and the fireballs star coming.

Somehow, I did that, my entire first playthrough, without dying*, despite misunderstandings like that.

(*I intentionally drove the cyclops off the edge of the maps with the wife wearing headphones so she could combat her fear of open water to the serenading tubes of ghost levis. I don't count that explosion as a true death. Also made sure to exit before autosave kicked in because I woulda been pretty sad to lose everything there.)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

HiKaizer posted:

Once I have the Cyclops I don't really need a base, but I like building bases in Subnautica so I just do it for fun. I wish there were mods that added more cosmetic base items.
Every square inch of my cyclops was wall lockers, organized as needed. Once you get upgraded power cells and the thermal Regen, you can do anything with the cyclops except a k-turn.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

OgNar posted:

Enter the :goatsecx:

e: also deal going on if anyone wants it portable

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1504908423023845376

well hot drat. I just checked my nintendo store wish list today hoping to see if either/both were on sale, no luck there. This is better than I was hoping for. Thanks!

I re-loaded my game, which I last saved in the rocket ready to take off at the end, because I wanted to do some of the stuff I missed out on before. So I spent 3 hours tooling around the dunes, going to the sea treaders, following the edge of the map around in a giant circle, that kind of stuff.

I think since I beat the game I had no fear of dying/losing stuff, so I just took a seamoth and just zipped right by the reapers. Got caught a couple times and zapped to get free, but otherwise it was hilariously less stressful than my typical path of trying so hard to not be seen that I never go near those areas.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I got the final quest in Subnautica, it just so happened that I had been collecting various plants already and had all the samples I needed.

"Have at least one of everything that I never use or get rid of" philosophy finally pays off!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

This is how I feel about the games.

I really really REALLY want to do a hardcore run on Switch, but :lol: the crashes would kill me before my own negligence would.

I picked up the switch version for $20, and going from full screen 4k on my 3080 to the 720 on the handheld with like 24fps is hard.

I'm gonna play it still when on the go, mostly for ambiance and chill, but I can't fathom trying to pull switch prawn Batman skills like I could on the PC.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

chainchompz posted:

Just non-stop falling as you get heavier and heavier.
I mean there's a game there. The upper atmosphere is like water because installed alien tech includes some level of gravity neutralization for the purposes of gas collection. There was already buoyant life there (cloud leviathans!). Build bespin-like cloud city poo poo. Get better tech to survive heat and pressure to get rarer minerals lower in atmo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I bought it at launch and bounced. Started up again after beating Subnautica recently and have enjoyed it a fair deal. I think it just fits my groove of copacetic, chill traveling and resource gathering. Kinda somewhere between Subnautica and Satisfactory a bit.

I totally get other people not liking it or finding it bad, but I just like popping to different systems and seeing what's shaking, and it scratches that itch pretty well.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ftfy.

Also, without spoiling anything, have you scanned the necessary thing to unlock the multipurpose and observatory rooms? I don't want to outright state where they are but if you've found them, you've also found other audio logs.

I really, really enjoyed (the mechanics of) BZ, so it's a bit tough for me to go back through the first game without the 10+ improvements, but I played the original around this time last year and I'm really getting a hankering to do it again.

I missed the audio log near one of those rooms in the jellyshroom habitat until after I beat the game.

As a result, I had the same painful mid-game experience where I just wandered around the mushroom forests and floating islands but couldn't find the "next" area to advance things.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Well, if we're talking about pod 6, I once suggested the title be "Subnautica: Well, lifepod 6 were jerks..."

Fignuts, it's Howlin Mad Marguerite!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Finally after 4 irl days of just meandering around the ocean with no idea what to do next I accomplished more in an hour than I had in the last 13 hours of gameplay. Finally finding (and planting) some gel and then going to the caves with the endless supply of lithium was a game changer. Me being unable to secure those two resources reliably was basically holding me back from doing anything. In the course of an hour I had a prawn, every Seamoth upgrade (now I can go to 900m woo) all sorts of QOL stuff around my base, better gear etc etc...which finally triggered a radio distress call for the first time in like 15 hours, and then another before I could even answer that one. First time in a while I have been able to turn the game off with a bunch of stuff to do when I come back to it.

I honestly really like the game but I really wish it would throw you a loving bone in some capacity. I have 21 hours of play time and I feel like half of it was just me having no idea where to find what I needed. It really killed the pacing for a while there. I hear the sequel almost goes too far with the QOL stuff to where you don't really have to do anything on your own though which doesn't sound great either.

My thoughts on something that would have been a godsend in subnautica 1, would be to have each lifepod have a button in it that "sends out a pulse" or something and updates your PDA with a list of resources in the rough area its in. Maybe even imply which ones arein great quantities around there. Since you can always set the lifepods as waypoints and check the PDA it would give you an idea of which direction to go in to find something, while not being invasive at all or messing with the player driven exploration.

Really just make some kind of highlight or note when you get in range of a PDA or log so you don't miss the critical one that points you to the grand reef hab.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have experience with these games in VR? I bought the original on PC a while back and refunded it, because although it actually looked great in VR I was using the rift controllers and the right stick did nothing i.e. I could not turn at all unless I physically turned around in circles, which imo was an instant deal breaker. But it looks like maybe that wouldnt have been the case if I'd just used an Xbox controller and maybe it was just something with the oculus controller? Just seeing if anyone can confirm if they control allright with a normal pad.

Man I couldn't stand the UI more than the controls. Can't imagine a gamepad saves Subnautica VR.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Man I love the cyclops('s horn button BWAHHHHH)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There are no long expeditions in subnautica (when you can cross the map from end to end in 5min in the moth)

I kitted out my cyclops with those nut trees and tons of storage. Made getting poo poo down in the lost river so much easier. Drive forward, prawn to get materials, back to cyclops. First playthrough I had no idea what I'd need so I just grabbed everything, and having the mobile base cyclops made it so much more efficient than "5 min trips" every time my inventory got filled. Which was all the loving time, inventory limits are the worst part of Subnautica.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I didn't bother with nuke power in Subnautica, heating vents were located near some good sites. But my BZ main base (centrally located) didn't, and I found a ton of uranium, so I went with nukes. I figured I could just keep refueling throughout the game.

I never needed to change a single fuel rod. Seemed like easy mode.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It's pretty simple. If you legit die, delete your save.

Boom, permadeath.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I got my prawn stuck under a mushroom tree's top. It was a tight fit and I thought I could make it through if I grappled. Nope. Got stuck like Austin Powers driving a golf cart.

Had to make a new one.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Stasis rifle and blade was how I felt with crabsquids. gently caress those things.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I only have two bases now. :v: I disassembled Mushroom Kingdom and Xochimilco for materials to make The Maw, positioned at the mouth of the river cave thing that gave me strong 'gateway to the final dungeon' vibes.

Yep, assemble the maridia base just before the lower norfair base.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I feel like cheating relieved the tedium. I never felt like reapers were threatening, just irritating.

See and that makes me wonder how we played the same game. I treated reaper screams as "do not go there" alarms, which made gathering some cyclops pieces and getting into the aurora absolutely white knuckle. I can't imagine playing the game without having a sense of foreboding as you advance deeper and deeper, I have to believe knowing you had cheats available to remedy any ailment removes risk and tension.

Although, I never died in my first playthrough, so maybe I had different goals and mindset toward it?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Me, or cythereal?

The one who meta-gamed the least fun way to optimally "solve" Subnautica.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

If James Cameron played one video game in his entire life, I'd expect it to be Subnautica.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

wolrah posted:

Sleeper module is critical for the mobile jukebox. No one should be stuck seatrucking in silence.

Prawn dock and storage are also very useful, fabricator was mostly useful late in both sides of the story when you end up needing to fabricate some one-off things while likely far from a base.

Teleporter I built but never used, probably would have been more useful earlier in the game when I was getting lost in caves and/or wrecks a lot but by the time I got it the need just wasn't there. Maybe it's useful for a glitchless speedrun?

Aquarium I never even built, but I play on Freedom mode so for the most part I don't need to think about any animals that aren't attacking me.
I only ever went around with one storage and prawn holder because I hated losing maneuverability. Making a giant undersea freight train was massively unappealing, and it was always a chore to exit and decouple and get back in. Making it seamless to uncoulple, a button you could hit from the cabin, would have made that better.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

zeldadude posted:

This is moreso a response to posts a few pages ago but I have got to be the only person on earth who didn't really have any issues with bugs in Subnautica. Like... At all.

Glitchiest thing I remember happening were the poison guys in the crash zone always clipping through my base, that's about it :shrug:

I got off better than most, but I still lost a seamoth to the hungry mountain island (nom nom) and had the prawn get stuck inside a mushroom in a weird way.

Also, did you take the prawn in the containment facility? I can't imagine you wouldn't, so I don't know how you avoided needing to grapple just to move there.

I never had too much issue with popin though, only a little here and there. Does computer power or resolution make a difference? I played on a 3080, 4k res, it was always beautiful and clear. I bought it on switch just for BZ when the combo cartridge was on sale, and I found it so janky with terrible controls (how can you play SN without a mouse??) that I threw more money at UW to get a PC copy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

looking down from underneath the floating island into the blackness for the first time was the only time the game ever unnerved me, 'till i went down and discovered the grand reef and decided i wanted to live there 'cause the grand reef rules.

Yeah looking down from there and hearing ghost Levis off somewhere was a huge incentive for me to scoot along the surface like a water strider until I got the prawn.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

A bit sad I left the full base above but that's ok.

?? Didn't you say you brought the cyclops with you?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

still more SN and most of the new regions are pretty neat. gently caress the kelp caves, though, I kept getting stuck/lost in there.

Yeah most of the new biomes are pretty cool, and little touches to make free diving more viable (albeit tense) was fun. The strike against BZ is that the map *feels* significantly smaller. The actual biomes are cool but the overall feeling of compression makes it feel like an amusement park instead of a world.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I really don't feel the same way, I love SN and played it twice to the end, but once you learn a few tricks it's really trivial to avoid all the predators. The cyclops (in my second run) might as well have been a godmode, nothing even aggroed it.

Do a lap around the aurora in it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

All these AI advances and still no way to procedurally generate interesting, viable Subnautica maps.

Sigh.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

*hears reaper scream in the lost river* ah gently caress

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dave Angel posted:

Grounded and Valheim could be worth a look in that respect. Does occur to me that almost every recommendation will feature combat of some form, hard to think of much else that avoids it as a gameplay feature to the extent Subnautica does.

I played Subnautica, Outer Wilds and Return of the Obra Dinn each for the first time one after the other and, man, that was a top tier run of some excellent gaming.

Kinda hoping the Outer Wilds recommendations get a "I didn't really care for this Fallout game set in space" reply now.

I'll say Grounded worked for me a LOT more than Valheim as a subnautica analog. The emphasis on combat is obviously different, but Grounded's basebuilding felt a lot more like subnautica than Valheim's did, and the map-directed exploration and progression also worked way better as a subnautica type game than Valheim's procedurally generated world does. The art style also does a LOT more for me too.

I'd say the downside is that if you don't like twitchy combat, Grounded loses a lot of points, because it's a LOT of timing and combat strategy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I have a huge issue trying to go under the island where you can't see the bottom, it's just inky blue darkness and you faintly hear a ghost leviathan.

Other than that I'm fine! Never had any issues in BZ, only that one spot of Subnautica.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

What are you talking about? Before starting a game of cities skylines I always assemble a team of architects, civil engineers, and public finance experts to ensure the smoothest play experience possible.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Promethium posted:

About 15 hours into Below Zero and I have yet to find a good place to put a main base. The lifepod area is too shallow, the radio tower island is central enough but surrounded by predators and not very visually appealing underwater, and the lily pads and vent areas are pretty but practically at the edge of the map. There's a stretch of kelp between the lifepod and the robotics base that I tried settling at, but the nearby jellyfish loved humping the structures and making it a hassle to move around. Maybe I'll find some deeper cavern later on.

Plot spoilers: So far this voice is acting way too nice for a species whose previous commandment was 'nuke everything in orbit' so I'm curious if it's going to pull something once I build the body.

There's really one good area to build a base IMO: the twisty bridges, facing the heat vents toward the sunken ship

lots of room, great vistas for base-building, no leviathans, reasonably centralized.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Outer Wilds isn't that kind of game but I still got that feeling from getting back to my ship after a nasty bit of exploration and blasting away and just drifting in space in my cozy homey little ship interior.
Ahhhh so cozy in my safe ship.

*Sad tune starts playing as the sun expands*

Oh, right.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Lynx posted:

I know I'm super late to the party here, but I just finished SN for the first time. Quick question about the endgame.

After meeting the Emperor and curing the disease, every aggressive fauna ignored me. Not just in the Emperor's aquarium, but everywhere. Is that supposed to happen? Nothing went after me from that point forward, other than a reaper who attacked my unattended Seamoth. From what I could find online, it sounds like only Warpers leave you alone after the cure, not everything.

Also, my food and water levels seemed be stuck maxed out after the cure. Not really sure if that was supposed to happen either.

That happened to me too. I misread the dialogue and thought that was INTENTIONAL. So I went out, equipped my scanned, and scanned the sea dragon with ease. Then later when I started to get attacked I very much WTFed and thought I must have just gotten insanely lucky to not get munched by the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So I know nobody here would have any knowledge of a new subnautica game in the works, so here's a link to RPS catching Unknown Worlds' parent company hinting at an early 2025 subnautica release.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-next-subnautica-aims-to-deliver-underwater-survival-spooks-in-early-2025

Far enough away that I'm gonna forget about it and be pleasantly surprised whenever something actually concrete emerges.