Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've played Subnautica three times now and I always lose interest when I get the Cyclops. For me it's a really immersive survival semi-horror but the more layers you have between yourself, the world and a big bitey thing's mouth the less fun it is, by the time you have the all of the powerful technological options and the only real threat is a Ghost ramming your sub out of spite it's nearly a different genre entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

Is there some random terrain generation going on with Subnautica? I thought the map was fixed, but this time around the giant coral tube with minerals in the shallows didn't have any side holes into cave systems.

Also, is Below Zero more or less scary than original Subnautica? Going down to the 500m mark now in Subnautica and this might be the 4-5th time I've noped out of the game after reaching that point.

Out of interest, was at least one of the times specifically because this song started playing as you entered the blood kelp zone? The first couple of times it happened I didn't realise it was just the area theme and thought it was the game warning that a leviathan had spotted you and just ran away in terror

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

The last time I stopped was when I was doing a sonar ping and saw the grid fall down into nothingness, and far out in that nothing the grid showed a leviathan

By the way, do sonar pings get noticed by any wildlife?

I'm 99% sure they don't, the game says some stuff about Reapers using sonar through their roars too but I'm pretty sure that's just PR. I loving loved that emergent horror of being out in open water in the dark though, the worst is when a Reaper goes into silent mode and the first you know about it is it doing its charge roar right next to you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wanna do a replay with Reaper Assholishness set to 500%

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dyz posted:

Game used to have terraforming. It had a terraformer tool that you could use to move voxels from one place to another. Buildings used to terraform the environment when you placed them. Hell you could dig in the sand. Theres an early playthrough somewhere where someone just dug straight down to the lava castle.

The problem is it made save files massive (GB sized) and unstable, so they removed it.

Thank you! I never knew this was ever a mechanic!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I did not find Subnautica scary at all. I guess there are moments where something pops out of nowhere that gives you a jolt, but the cartoonish graphics, goofy looking fauna and relatively non lethal game design never really felt spooky tbh.

It's definitely a game that's scarier before you can see the wires. Once you figure out how easy it is to deal with Reapers as soon as you have the Seamoth alot of the dread goes but early game I found being anywhere in their roaring distance absolutely terrifying. And the first time the blood kelp theme started playing with inky black abyss around me in every direction I just ran straight home because the music sounded like I'd just been spotted by something that was going to chase me down and eat me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The attack roar is (usually) alot more pissed off, rather than the passive roars you hear in the distance

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Congrats to General Battuta for getting to work in such a famous and popular author's world :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i have legit thalassophobia and while subnautica has also legit helped with that, i still can't stand the underwater islands zone

going into the bit where the AI says "this biome meets five of the seven criteria to be a horror movie" was soothing because there are WALLS and GROUND

Yeah, I think Lost River was meant to be the spookiest zone but nothing got my lizard brain screaming like my first visits to the mountains and upper blood kelp regions

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They should make the next one without any fancy mobile base or power armour to build towards so you play the entire game at the bottom of the food chain with leviathans as a constant threat, that'd be my ideal Subnautica

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just modded in larger inventory spaces and proximity crafting and never looked back :cool:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Getting my yearly urge to replay the first game. I might need to go looking for some new mods, what are y’all’s favorites?

World map, storage capacities up, craft using items in proximity radius. If you can wait though I think they're backporting Subnautica into the Below Zero engine which is going to add alot of new options too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Honestly it would be super complex to implement and design a reasonable UI for, especially since there's a lot of 3D.

I played the last time with a classic 2D fog of war style map and that was enough for me, it doesn't need to give a perfect 3D representation of the area just give you a broad idea of where the regions are

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If your PC is up to it you can always fix the pop-in by going into the ini and making the draw distance GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND

Terrible for the frame rate though, even on my 3080 RTX at 4K it was dipping down to 30 and below

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't worry, those guys are the most threatening fish you'll run into. It's smooth sailing from here.

Nah, you've got to watch out for those Stalkers too, they can give you a nasty nip

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some people just cannot appreciate art

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This game is fun when it's about exploring and trying to survive misadventure. Stupid sea monsters randomly loving me over isn't my idea of fun.

These are the same thing. You experienced a misadventure and then immediately started complaining about it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It didn't kill me but the worst a reaper ever got me was when I was taking the Seamoth out at night with the lights off (to avoid notice) and I went past a Reaper which was doing it's sneaky no-roaring phase, I didn't realise until it did it's extra-pissed 'I'm going to loving kill you' roar right next to me with no warning

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pro-tip: You can win 100% of encounters with Reapers in a Seamoth by doing a corkscrew up motion around their heads until they get bored and give up trying to bite you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am shocked, just shocked that Cythereal cheated themselves out of a fun time by playing like an idiot and then complaining about the consequences of their metagaming

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Duodecimal posted:

Wait. This isn't the same person that refused to do their class quests in final fantasy xiv?

No that was CJ, a different obstinate idiot in the FF14 thread

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Personally I was assuming that the radio was in fact two-way and they just didn't write dialogue for the PC to help with the immersive self-insert aspect of the atmosphere they were going for.

WHY WOULD YOU ASSUME THAT??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Between this thread and the Valheim thread it really reinforces the fact that other people play these games for significantly different reasons than I do.

Same! I couldn't care less about base building in this game but I've played three times and never completed it because my interest starts to flag as soon as I get the Prawn and Cyclops as it stops being an ocean survival game and starts becoming a power fantasy, but I've had so much fun playing it an a super immersive survival horror-lite I'm more than happy with what I've got from it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oasx posted:

I would actually say that the ocean survival part only really starts once you get the cyclops. The first half of the game is more or less a nice casual experience, once you need the cyclops the survival aspects of the game kick in a lot more, and it become somewhat of a chore to play.

Eh, the wonder and the terror of the ocean fade away for me once you've got the heavy armour. It might be more mechanically taxing but I stop being afraid of Reapers and being surrounded by pitch black water, which is basically what I was playing for. The base building and power escalation doesn't really do anything for me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did I misremember or wasn't this update supposed to have setting for tweaking the AI too? I don't wanna come back until I can make Reapers the perfect killing machines

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oasx posted:

I cannot imagine not having a second air tank, it's just something I always do in Subnautica games.

I like to carry more than four stacks of minerals back with me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Real talk: I found a reinforced swim suit. How much do I have to fear the terrifying big fish keeping me from submersible dominance?

You still never want to engage a Reaper outside a vehicle, but if you're caught out you probably won't be instagibbed

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you can hear roaring at any level but the most distant you don't want to be outside a vehicle for any longer than absolutely necessary, that generally won't change throughout the game no matter your upgrades

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd be happy if you could just take a nap in your escape pod

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Subnautica (mostly) cured by thalassophobia and made me love the ocean. It's like an incredibly safe and mild form of exposure therapy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I found a 2D map in my second attempt at the game extremely useful, even using a ton of markers I found having to work out location positions by their relative position to other locations very disorientating and having even a simple 2D map that laid out exactly where you were, where you'd been and where you hadn't been really helped me get my head around the exploration. Maybe not something to use on a first run though, it's probably worth at least trying blind. Install the craft from proximity mod though, that's just a pure QoL addition that doesn't affect the gameplay at all other than saving you crafting system busywork where you have to go back and forth between different lockers

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You should do absolutely none of this on your first playthrough

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chamale posted:

Hey diving enthusiasts! My tourism agency, Titan LLC, is hard at work on our next submarine. We've got five new open jobs for people who won't ask questions about the last person to hold the job.

Submarine pilot - must be familiar with a PlayStation controller

Mechanic - minimum five years experience operating a hot glue gun

Lawyer - must know how to write a waterproof liability disclaimer

Orca attack prevention (new listing!)

Quality assurance (new listing!)

The office is a luxurious cruise ship on Newfoundland time, and pay is supplemented by tips from our wealthy clients. Please apply or send to your bravest friends.

:imunfunny:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The last first timer here only get spoiled by himself whilst poorly pretending that he hadn't, I think the thread is pretty much in agreement that it's a game that moreso than most others really benefits from going in blind and the experiencing the wonder and terror without foreknowledge

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You never forget the first time that spooky 'oh god is this chase music? Am I being chased?!' plays out in the depths

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think I got something very different from the game than most people, the more powerful the vehicle the less interesting the game became. I liked the unupgraded seamoth the best, once you got to put self defence mechanisms and so forth on it though it lost some of it's charms

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You could think of it less of a 'bug' and more of an 'emergent emergency jump'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

More dangerous sea horror sounds great actually. I'd even be happy with 'reapers but they don't give up immediately'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

Putting MrX into Subnautica is perhaps not the vibe people are looking for here.

Subnautica fans seem to be a split between the base builders and the survival exploration horror fans (or the people who like both halves I guess)

Mr X predator is exactly what I'm looking for, as long as its presence doesn't feel too artificial and gamey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Alien Isolation in janky VR is the most terrified I’ve ever been in a workplace, I don’t even like remembering it

I don't think I could play thay game on a computer but playing it in VR sounds genuinely harrowing. Literally childhood nightmares come to life stuff