Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A reef back somehow spawned by my escape pod and now it's making annoying noises and causing lag. Also there's furniture scattered around floating in mid-air?

Anyway this game is extremely hard to pull myself away from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the Aurora

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Met posted:

Their roadmap now goes to February... but I'm glad they're pushing it back rather than trying to stick to a schedule they can't finish the game in and pushing out an unfinished product.

quote:

We give all EA players the Cute Fish item. In game we query whether the player has a Cute Fish item in their Steam inventory and spawn a Cute Fish accordingly. The Cute Fish does not save/load. It just follows the player like a pet in Dota2.

If for any reason the distance between fish and player becomes too big we just teleport the fish right behind the player. (if we do this then anyone that doesn't want the Cute Fish to follow them around for the next 20 hours must knife him to death...every time they load the game)

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, I'll try to be considerate of people on the internet. Thanks for your input.

Do you need to talk to someone?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Making sure waves don't clip through the floor of the escape pod should be priority #1 IMHO, the game is basically unplayable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only way I can enjoy games is if everything in them is a greater failure than me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Not any more you can't, there are now boxes blocking the way. you angle down towards the cargo bay and there are a heap of large boxes (that you can't jump over) that were added, positioned right in front of the door. They were added presumably with the coffee and castles patch.

I also saw this when playing the recent patch. Couldn't get into the doorway in the rear of the ship without moving the boxes first. People said I didn't need the prop gun to get in so I thought I was missing another entrance.

endlessmonotony posted:

Shut the hell up.

What's wrong with you? What warranted that?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There's a ton of invisible walls and weird collision boundaries in the back of the Aurora. I honestly never considered jumping around to explore past the very obvious blocked door.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

emoji posted:

Imagine being so salty about hypothetically being incredibly bad at a video game because it mitigates godmode in the unfinished version a little bit lol.

Imagine some weirdo lurker jumping in to drop 20 posts in a row about how upset he is at the posters lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A single germ can kill an elephant. Makes u think

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Someone that claimed to know what they were talking about said that the Subnautica team were trying to make the Unity engine do a lot more than it was ever designed to do. Which seems plausible to me, Subnautica is a really complex game.

Reminds me of Kerbal Space Program, afaik that still buckles under it's own weight if you try to build a big space station or something complicated.

Unity games as a whole always seem to have a lot of performance problems so I imagine the purpose of the engine must be for something besides video games

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bhodi posted:

When they pull out deformability for good, the world will be be static and they won't have to have terrain data in the save at all and it will shrink to a fraction of what it is now. "Early Access Problems" is another succinct way to put it. None of these problems will be in the final game.

The devs seem to have a pretty negative response to criticism and their response to complaints about the save system is particularly stupid. I don't share your confidence that this won't continue to be an issue with the final game, and I highly suspect they're never going to get around to refactoring the code to make the terrain system behave sanely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe they can go back in time and decide not to use an engine notorious for being such a miserably poor-performing pile of poo poo. "It's a Unity game" is the new "They wrote it in Flash."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

I know very little about game engines but it always felt that the problem wasn't Unity itself, rather that Subnautica is trying to do stuff outside the comfortable scope of the engine. The Forest and The Long Dark are both on Unity too and neither of them have the performance problems that Subnautica does, but they're also both a bit more restrained and in TLD's case the world is broken up by loading screens.

Or maybe it's just bad programming or the huge shifts in focus that Subnautica has undergone over its development, idk.

Dreamfall Chapters isn't trying to do anything particularly impressive and good god does it run like trash. What happened with the Natural Selection 2 engine they nearly bankrupted themselves making?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 8, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what the gently caress is happening with this game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love the idea of claiming someone is LYING about some dumb videogame poo poo instead of just being confused or misremembering. Are Subnautica's competitors planting people in this thread?!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Digirat posted:

Not only that but their previous game had mod support, with an arguably more difficult situation to support them in the first place due to being a competitive online game

This is an old memory but I recall that the devs were upset that modified servers were so popular with the player base.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

Also, after some brief googling, there's a bug report tracker here.
https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/

If you want a laugh, read through the tickets. also be prepared to check back and see how bad it is post launch for a laugh.

Anyone want to place bets or a drinking game?

quote:

Water floats into the escape pod while your inside it

2018-01-24 02:18:40

lmfao I haven't touched the game in months and they still haven't loving fixed this one?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think I found a time capsule and then lost it when I got blown up by a crashfish

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How badly did I sequence break by looking up the code to the Captain's quarters in the Aurora after I had opened up everything else? I was just being lazy and wanted to avoid having to remember to come back to the Aurora to open one locked door.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nullEntityRNG posted:

None at all. The real time sink is curing the disease and building the rocket

Awesome. I got the transmission necessary for it after a few more minutes of exploration, anyway, which totally vindicates my decision.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Outside of Eco location via Sonar underwater, isn't sound underwater nearly directionless otherwise? It's not like you're playing a FPS game above ground where sound works normally and maybe that is the case here?

No, it's not directionless at all. It's just less affected by bouncing off of things. I think what makes it tricky in a game like Subnautica is that audio engines (except OpenAL/HRTF) have a really tough time convincing you that a sound is happening above or below you. That's not as big of an issue for games without full 3D movement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m at like 10 hours in and still waiting for the Lifepod 2 signal so I can figure out where to build my base in the goon recommended fashion.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Section Z posted:

Unless they shuffled things around. Have you tried building a thermal plant, or entering the DEEP grand reef? Otherwise you will be waiting forever for that particular signal.

Nah, I thought the recommendation was to wait to build my real base until I got to Lifepod 2 to save myself a ton of time and hassle so I've just been poking around the sea floor and using my single cylinder and solar panel. Guess I shouldn't have taken that so literally.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HexiDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65NfCXFOGu8

Alright, pulling from containers now works with the Habitat Builder tool, and all the tooltips seems to work correctly. I finally got the 8 toolbar slots hooked up to keys properly, too (due to a bug with dnSpy, it's currently really difficult to get that above 8, but whatever). There's a link in the video description with instructions on how to "install" it - you're just overwriting the existing Assembly-CSharp.dll file in your Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed folder.

I might do automatic sub-component crafting later, but I'd have to screw around with the UI to get the tooltips to make sense. Sky's pretty much the limit for what can be modded, if anyone has any good suggestions.

This is awesome and saves so much busywork. Thank you!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There needs to be a towel item in the game just to add to a time capsule

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Danaru posted:

This might seem like an odd question, but how do you actually turn ON the alien arches? I've always gone to the gun island second and never really gave much thought to it after stealing or scanning everything

I don't even know if that's worth spoiling, but just in case

You put a cube in them

Some of the ones you find need to be turned on from the other end

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Davethulhu posted:

I tried to play the game as unspoiled as possible, and am now enjoying watching the occasional streamer play.

This guy has been playing for at least 50 hours, has lost 5 sea moths, and has been on the brink of finding kyanite for at least 10 hours. The seamoth losses have apparently traumatized him to the point where he spends 90% of his travel time in the prawn suit. As such, he's still eating fish exclusively, and as far as I can tell has never built a grow bed or plant pot. He also ignores chat, which lately is a lot of people mocking his gameplay decisions.

https://www.twitch.tv/shenryyr

Edit: He just discovered the existence of the scanner room hud chip.

What should I be doing for food in the late game?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Pot or growbed with your choice of fruit, either Lantern fruit or marblemelon. But I dont see anything wrong with just carrying the thermoblade and making meals on the go.

Yeah the thermoblade's been doing it for me. Haven't yet found an area where I can't easily chase down a couple fish.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

The deeper areas at the edge of the shallows are basically ideal. The area near Pod 17 (and the Jellyshroom Cave entrance there) is also great for a first base.

Yeah I've been enjoying the Jellyshroom Cave area. No major predators, lots of good materials around there and once you get power transmitters it's easy to get thermal power going. The whale sounds are endless, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Whoever made the PullFromContainers mod, please treat yourself to a fine steak because you have earned it.

Yeah, I'm getting to the very end of the game now and I spent most of my playthrough using this mod. If I'd had to grab stuff from my containers manually it would've added literal hours of tedium.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I liked the Cyclops but all my deaths in the game were attributable to clipping through it and bouncing through the geometry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Floating lockers I find a lot more useful in earlygame to set up survival stashes by my beacons with water, salted food and maybe batteries.

I think a lot of people don't realise how convenient base building really is, especially since you can literally just pack up everything and relocate an entire base with no loss of resources. You can pretty much just slap down a base anywhere in a couple of minutes as long as you bring all the materials you need.

Though while scanner rooms are indeed useful it trips a lot of people up that they're massive power hogs, and best to build multiple solar panels for them. (especially since all power generators increase your power storage accordingly)

Nuclear reactor is more for when you build a giant vanity base with a whole collection of hand-raised critters.

I also get entirely what you mean in that the game gives you a lot of endgame toys when you barely have any need to use them. I think maybe the final research facility isn't really enough for a 'final dungeon' type area despite being located perfectly for it. Maybe the final quest should give you more reason to explore far-flung corners of the map, though that could get tedious- it's a bit funny that if you've paid attention you can complete the list within minutes because you know where to find everything and might even have it in your garden.

That final quest was awful. By the time I got to it I was fully ready to cruise to the finish, so it took the wind out of my sails and I just completed it as fast as I possibly could. I think it would’ve been better to expand on the idea of incrementally solving puzzles in the alien bases with the things you get on other exploration errands.

Wrr posted:

Seconding the better inventory management as a desire. I grabbed a mod that allowed the crafting devices to 1) pull resources from nearby storage lockers to build from and 2) build all the intermediate items automatically when I want to build something higher tier. Reeeeeallly makes life much more simple. Doesn't feel like it breaks anything either.

This is the only mod I used in my play through and I would recommend everybody use it when starting out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might be just as well that they originally planned on having wandering Leviathans who patrolled almost the entire map, but it turned out to be technically infeasible.

Thank god. That would be rotten for my nerves.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

The mode is titled "baby mode" and it has a picture of a tiny baby!!

Oh lord we don't need another hundred weepy "think pieces"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I think the reason Subnautica is good is because the devs are really self critical and they're able to admit when they've made bad design decisions. Having them rip out the entire story or redo all the above water parts are really positive signs. It's better to be persistent than talented. If you keep redoing parts of the game until they're good then you're going to end up with a good game.

the Destiny 1 team did this and it took 2 years to make that thing into a good game

the Anthem team also did this and it never became a good game

there's admitting your mistakes and there's floundering. fingers crossed what's going on with the new game is more the former.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

Yea, I feel that was a missed opportunity to have depth itself be a threat to the diver. The reduced oxygen thing woulda been great, if it wasn't disabled instantly by a single item. Same with lava and water temperature, etc.

edit: vvv It's a video game man, of course they're not going to do stuff like a 14 hour decompression for a 15 minute dive. But, imagine if there was no rebreather mask, and going deeper meant having to be faster and faster for mandatory diving sequences. Or having suits that matter. It's real easy to mix it in with a fun game mechanic, and UW just... decided not to. Didn't someone say that the O2 meter was not in the first iterations of the game, like how off the mark could you be?

iirc an early version of the game had a nitrogen narcosis/bends mechanic that sounded like absolutely no fun at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Look, the Planet's got two huge-rear end moons crazy close in orbit. The fact that we don't have 30-metre waves kinda suggests that physics/chem/bio is out to lunch in this 'verse.

They're just not very dense

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn’t really care about the plot in Subnautica but I did appreciate that it pushed me to explore and the environmental storytelling was great. Love to find wrecks in weird spots with little stories about what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Outer Wilds hits like every major phobia out there

The chill is an illusion!!