Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The sea truck is growing on me. I'm running 2 though, one for exploration (bed-storage-aquarium-dock/PRAWN, with depth module and afterburner), and another for base-building and storage (3x storage + fabricator). I've got 2 actual cabs, mostly so I can skip swapping one cab back and forth. They get too unwieldy after 4 cars, at least without the horsepower boost (which I've yet to find :v: ).

Anyone got a good place for base building? I'm camped out near the Delta lab docks for now, I was hunting for PRAWN suit parts in the wrecks and that area is loving loaded so I just settled there after my first mini-base near the escape pod :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I would do that with the crabs in the first one after they bit me, YEET straight into reaper territory.

Why yes I died a few times to those little fuckers nipping me at the Aurora, why do you ask?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Of all the weird poo poo in the first game, the crabsquids just felt the most wrong to me. Maybe they’re the most alien, in my head? Between their weird look, their creepy noise, and their ability to turn off the lights, I would just rather not go near their habitat ever again.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s plenty of exploration to be done. The map doesn’t go as deep as the first one, but it feels like there’s a lot less open ocean type area; it’s a lot more twisty caves and crevices, and other assorted places where things are interesting.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

yook posted:

I think I played the current BZ build as far as it currently goes, but I'm not sure. There's an invisible wall getting to the teleporter ALAN tells you about after you build his body, and on the way there you can find a log file where Sam talks about hiding a cure for the karaa bacteria in a crawlspace near the frozen leviathan, but there's no waypoint associated with it.

It wound up taking me an hour or two finding my way back to the area, but I didn't find anything around there in the room itself and the one pengwing hole I found nearby didn't have anything special. I've found youtube footage of Robin injecting something into the frozen leviathan pustules that I assume ends the side quest, but I don't actually know if it's from this build or before they overhauled the storyline.

It’s this build, I found it (after looking up where it is). The thing you’re looking for is further away than you’d think.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got mine in the cave where you can get the popcorn anemones (I think?), close to where the Omega lab was under the lily pads. There is a circular hole there that goes deep, but has a gigantic rock almost (but not quite) blocking the way all the way around it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

On the subject of accessibility...the highlight interact-able setting is a game changer. No more hiding from me, you drat camouflaging mineral!

It’s such a small thing, and I loving loved it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Below Zero, Accessibility settings :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a serious game-changed :dadjoke:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Man, the thing I'd like most from BZ finally being "finished"?

The developers finding some way/motivation to back-implement some of the new buildable stuff from BZ into the original. I would love to have glass roofs for my seabases, even if the large seabases might be a bit too far, or the fridge, for my all-vegetarian run that I'm doing right now, where the only things I have to eat are kelp and (just recently, after like 10 hours of gameplay,) vending machine snacks (it being a swimming-only, no seaglide, run as well, so it's been kind of slower going than usual, including getting to the islands).

I just want to take the sea-truck for a spin through the Lost River :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I grabbed a mod that lets the Cyclops strafe, and that was a huge QoL improvement on its own for driving through the Lost River and other tight spots.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sneaking the Cyclops past Reaper and Ghost Leviathans was a genuine nerve-wracking moment. I essentially kept a base of 2 buildings to keep my water bottles supplied (and maybe an aquarium/moon pool?), almost everything else was aboard that big goofy bastard and losing it would’ve been catastrophic for my save.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

On my 2nd play through of the first one I took the cyclops out for one sub-900M dive to get the kyanite/sulphur for the prawn suit upgrades. Then left it wherever, who cares, garbage ship for jerks.

Quoting this so you can’t hide your shame.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Remove all vehicles except the seaglide and replace them with an oxygen rebreather pack that lasts an actual hour per recharge. Then make reapers patrol the entire map.

Turn Subnautica into the traumatic survival horror experience it was always meant to be. :colbert:

Ohhh, you want the extended tanks/decompression mod combined with DeathRun :twisted:

Reapers aggro is turned up to what you’d expect. I had one come up and steal my Seamoth from the little ramp by the door to the interior of the Aurora, and it chewed my poor Seamoth in half by the time I turned around to see what the hell the racket was. I had another mod that changed the starting lifepod location, and made it sink in a weird spot.

DeathRun made anywhere near a Reaper area into a trap, if you could hear them they could see you...and they were always looking around with hungry eyes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Increased aggro range is something, I guess, but does the mod change their patrol area size?

The problem is that as long as the leviathan patrol areas are as small as they are, once you learn where they are they turn from horrifying threats into more-or-less stationary turrets that you can easily avoid by just zooming a couple of hundred meters to the right or left in your Seamoth. In my last couple of playthroughs the only leviathans I ever had visual contact with were the juvenile Ghost in the Lost River and the two Lava Zone dragons.

Not sure about their patrol range, they just came charging as soon as I could hear them (and it seemed like they gave chase for longer too). I’d hear their roar off in the distance and figure “oh cool, it’s out there somewhere far away” then the next one was LOUD and directly behind me, right before it started chomping.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s a simple mod that allows the Cyclops to strafe left and right, and that improves the handling ability of that sub far more than you’d expect.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The ghost leviathan’s screech chills me every time I hear it, if you want an early intro to it go off the edge of the map just a bit :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

Theres one in the bone zone tunnel too

And on the grand reef. So many opportunities to meet a new friend :unsmith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

My mothership's reactor just went critical and exploded, netting me the radiation suit blueprint. I never explored it before it happened, did I miss out on anything particularly cool?

You didn’t miss anything, there’s no way in before that point :)

there are multiple PRAWN suits in the biggest room, make sure to scan them so you can build your own giant robit

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Same. I liked it in BZ, but never wanted to touch it in the first one. I think they lowered it a little, and flattened it a touch beyond that in BZ?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

The entrance isn't particularly obvious. It's not underwater. Go up the left hand side towards the front and there's some wreckage you can climb up onto (you're in the right place if you're getting attacked by the crawler things). You can then clamber up and over towards a way in, but you have to put some fires etc out and you won't get much further without a laser cutter and propulsion cannon

there is also a reaper leviathan that patrols this area, duck in through the ship structure and you should be able to avoid it.

“Should” is not a guarantee, but this sea is a harsh mistress indeed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just in case...

You can put indoor growbeds wherever they’ll fit, then grow marblemelons and lantern fruits. Get these from the wrecked Degasi bases on the floating islands above the Grand Reef (southwest section of the map, where you can find crab squid and a ghost leviathan).

Aquariums to store fish for later food/water also isn’t a bad idea, if you don’t want to dedicate storage space to them. You can build most of the interior base pieces in there, provided you can actually find a place to fit them.

Keep in mind that you can lose the ship if you’re not careful. I end up decking mine out, but playing really conservatively with it (using whatever other vehicle I’ve got as a wayfinder before committing to exploring a new path).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I forgot that I’ve got a mod enabled where fish can breed in the aquariums :v: that’s why I went with those, 1 aquarium of Reginalds and 2 of bladderfish on the Cyclops mean that I’ve got a never-ending supply of fish, and a few wall planters of fruit would potentially keep me stocked forever. I’d only have to return to the surface to swap/charge power cells :)

Adding a thermal charger and parking in some vents would really turn the drat thing into a base, rather than just a behemoth of the deep that has to surface for air power...:getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Re: Fishing; all fish smaller than a shark will respawn, eventually. Shark size and above can be permanently removed from the map. As I did to those loving manatees near the starting pod.

You didn’t like the manatees farting at you and laughing? :haw:

I didn’t realize it until after my first play through, but if you’re feeling bold you can scan/collect one of those gas pods before they pop, and they can be used in a torpedo for the prawn suit, I think?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Doesn't the player get a warning about "several leviathan-class organisms in the area" which causes most people to just Nope out?

That’s the one you get going into the dunes, where there is always a reaper party going on :gonk: The areas border each other, though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, that and the sickening feeling of seeing the ground just curve away from me and plunge deep down, farther than I could go.

Whoever did the water visuals for this game was loving spot on. I’ve been scuba diving in places where this exact thing happens, it’s such a a loving weird feeling and this game gets a good approximation of it. Same with looking up to the surface from below, as the light comes down through the ripples.

Both of those are goddamn close in feeling, if not the sheer loving scale of it. There’s nothing that’s going to compare to being on a loving wall dive watching the surface run the gently caress away from you at an alarming rate, but both games handle it pretty loving well.

e: added some loving swears, shitbirds beware :ninja:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 4, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I wish more people had made mods - aside from that multiplayer one the only ones I could find were fairly basic QoL mods.

Gimme:
  • Cyclops speed module
  • Radio module for all vehicles (be able to organise MP3 into folders for stations, or work with the Spotify API)
  • More base components, like a Cyclops dock

I think the speed mod and docking mod both exist on Nexus? I know the docking mod is there, I’ve got it and it’s good.

e: Cyclops docking mod link.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/554

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

For the truck, I ran a fabricator, 2-3 storages, an aquarium, and Prawn docking module. I also had a mod that let me stack resources though, so I could make ingots of out any metal I had or stacked table coral, etc. Otherwise I would’ve needed a ton more storage modules :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Danaru posted:

The prawn suit owns though, why would you want less cool things in the game

While not the preferred method, word is that it’s possible (and :black101: ) to grapple on to a reaper leviathan and let it drag you around. Can the Cyclops or Sea-truck do that? :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Taerkar posted:

The Cyclops would be a lot more frustrating to use in many of BZs areas.

I think going the opposite way (bringing the sea truck into the original game) could have some fun to it, though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WebDO posted:

In BZ you have to make the drones at the scanner room module station. I think they cost a computer chip to make each in addition to some other stuff, which makes it one of the pain points for my run. You need like a full locker of table coral before you leave the only biome in which you find them in reasonable concentration and that's probably still not enough.

I'm glad they did this with them, I got annoyed at having them spawn in automatically with the scanner room and then clog up my HUD with camera drones that had been dragged off by stalkers. I never really used them though (probably because they kept getting stolen by stalkers, again :v: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I haven't ever tried a hardcore playthrough, probably about 5 or 6 months after I beat below zero I'll try and play through one and below zero on hardcore without dying in either. I imagine that would be a lot more tense.

A reaper going quiet then roaring right over your shoulder has a far different feeling when you’re ~10hrs into a hardcore run, I’ll tell you what :shepicide:

it got me :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

uXs posted:

I only use foundations to put my external growbeds on. (And now as a yard for parking my seatruck modules.)

Stabbing every plant type you come across to check if you can grow them yourself and then also doing just that, is amazingly useful btw. And it looks cool as hell.

It does make the bottom of your base look a bit ugly with the hundreds of extra legs.

I had a kelp garden outside of one of my bases in the first game to denote the parking area for my cyclops, and it felt like coming into a runway with how much light those drat plants were putting out :3:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Guessing a lot of resources don't respawn or anything, so is it possible to like, entirely gently caress myself over by wasting metals on poo poo (like accidentally made way too many pipes at one point)?

I don’t think so, but there’s typically a ton of titanium floating around here and there so it shouldn’t really be an issue. Crack open random limestone outcrops and recycle wreckage* if you’re short.

*first game only

The most annoying to waste for me was always magnetite. Idk how, but I always felt like I needed it for something.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zesty posted:

You can just move the range upgrades. It takes no effort and you don't need multiple scanners running simultaneously in either game.

Exactly what I did to get the fragments around the deep Lilypads. Otherwise materials were easy enough to find without a scanner. I used it maybe once to get gold and silver early on and twice to get a bunch of copper when I ran out.

I like keeping track of all of the Reapers, thank you very much :colbert:

Scanning for them in the dunes of the first game and seeing 3-4 blips pop up is always a good time :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Also if you want to force a scan for an item you’ve got one/a few of (and need more), drop it outside the scanning room so the room picks it up as a scannable object...then go for a swim and see how many more blips show up along your journey :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

If I put a few plants in some external grow beds, will they multiply so I can actually farm them? For instance, I put a couple ribbon plants in a bed but have seen no change at all. This seems counter to the apparent goal of farming, making the beds just open-face storage lockers.

e: Also, as per the thread title, all I need for base building are options to sufficiently replicate this:

One can get pretty close as-is, I’ll admit.

Why would you replicate Pod 6? Those people are a bunch of jerks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The Degasi saga is my favourite part of this game. If you've beaten the game but still haven't checked out the cinematic trailer, I recommend you do it now. Even if you saw it once before playing, rewatching it after you've been through everything is neat.

It's a cinematic that is set to Bart's final audio log, recorded approx ten years before you crash landed on the planet.

What always struck me with that whole storyline is just how cavalier they are with going so far underwater. Sure, there was some hesitation, but I'm over here making GBS threads bricks because a crabsquid is chasing me in my seamoth, and meanwhile, they're all "So, we're definitely heading 500m below the surface, we'll be fine. Oh, we're here and Bart's bored." The bulb forest or whatever biome it is near their 500m base just fills me with equal parts awe and dread.

Like....fuuuuuuuck, I don't think I have thallassophobia, but I'm at least somewhat anxious about, I don't know, the potential of never seeing the sun again. :ohdear:

Also, with the dad's final log where he talks about thinking that he saw a light below that he's going to go investigate... was that a mesmer?

Edit: actually, you know what that reminds me of? Silent Hill 2, at the historical society/prison, at one point, James sees a big hole, and the game states "you can't see the bottom. Jump in?". And that's what you're supposed to do, but IRL, I'd be literally looking for any other option. Anything. Gah.

That game section hosed with my head enough that I am still automatically wary of any historical society (before you even consider the likely racism involved some way or another :v: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I got a mod that ups their aggression and the size of their patrol areas, keeps things spicy in the dunes and near the Aurora :getin:

It has a bunch of other settings too, it’s on Nexus and called DeathRun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Usually it’s just the studios developing them

Perfection :stare::hf::dadjoke: