Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Does that save-copying lunacy still happen if you don't have an SSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Mehrunes posted:

Your lunacy is amusing but for anyone who's actually interested my save files with a new game are literally 21mb with the seamoth out to the zones immediately adjacent to the crash zone.

I would say I haven't explored very much, mostly because I don't know where everything is. I built a cyclops for the first time yesterday. I have visited both islands, taken a terrified trip around the crashed Aurora (on a seaglide!), visited the mushroom forest and the reef full of flat coral trees, been terrified by warpers, spooked by deep caves and made myself a home under the reefbacks of the great plains.

My save game is 1.02 gb? What?

E: It's also worth noting that I already have subnautica installed on an SSD. My ProgramData directory is not seeing any notable size changes when I launch and play the game. Lucky me for not being subject to this 'optimization'.

E2: \/ \/ \/ Nope, regular steam version.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 31, 2017

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Also, regarding my brand-new lightly scratched cyclops: the health bar doesn't go all the way up? The engineering station in the aft compartment says 100% health, but the healthbar displays on the conn and status hologram aren't full?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Am I to understand that the devs don't know how to or think they can't disentangle their colossal shitpile of a terraforming system from the game without the source code?

What the hell.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

When I heard that the devs were honestly blaming the engine for their absurd pop-in and broken terrain system I hardened my heart and accepted that this game is probably not going to be fixed. This doesn't mean I can't hope, but I can also hope to win the lottery by having Odin's loving ravens deliver me a winning ticket. Doesn't quite make it likely.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

HexiDave posted:

Yeah, I noticed that - the reason is because Subnautica does the hunt for resources iteratively for every single blueprint each time you fire up a crafting window, and again when you craft an item. I'm gonna see if I can find a way to cache the resource list all at once so it can quickly scan.

I feel this gem of game-logic discovery needs to be highlighted. This is not a mark of a competently implemented codebase. Then again, they do have that wonder of "copy your entire savegame's memory footprint onto your C drive" I guess I shouldn't be surprised it didn't get more delighted fanfare.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

HexiDave posted:

My large, submersible son is ugly, but powerful:

The Sea Emperor is proud of you.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I actually managed to build and power a base before I ran out of air, planted a melon and bulboa seed so long term hunger/thirst are taken care of, thermoblade cooked fish to prevent myself from dying of thirst until they matured, and am now... well, I'm not really entirely sure what I'm going to do next, hahah! I'm just sort of slowly expanding the base and my farm.

I'll figure it out though. I think someone said if you build multiple air tanks you can swap them out for extra time? That might need to be what I end up doing.

There's at least three exits from the region you're in to the surface. If you have a seaglide and the first high-capacity tank you can probably make it from the lava transition to the surface without difficulty. Knowing the way is the biggest hurdle.

And I don't think tank-swapping works? I think back in early beta you could carry multiple tanks which automatically boosted your air, but no longer.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I printed out this map and scribbled all over it old-school style.

I probably should have noted more, but once you have enough materials to drop beacons everywhere the map is more for directional reference than navigation.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I kinda wish there was a hand-held large drill to use on resources nodes without the Prawn. The bloody thing is just so awkward to use compared to the Seamoth.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

It was an interesting shift in perception when I determined that the low breathy 'aaaaaaaaaaahh' noises I'd been hearing on and off for a good portion of the game were Reaper leviathans.

They're out there. Screaming. And they hate you.

It's the ones that aren't screaming to watch out for.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

I just learned from the steam discussion forums that a modder is currently working on a mod to make subnautica multiplayerable.

I recall there already was a mod that did that. No idea how well it worked though. I bet there's more than one working on it too.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Wrr posted:

Once the player is at a point of sustainability where you have essentially infinite resources for survival, and the loop of returning to base with resources to get food is broken, just get rid of that mechanic.

Why return to base? Your cyclops should be like an RV. Fill it with equipment and grow your food.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I think the basic point of "Devs did not fix fundamental issues with their engine" has merit. (To say the least.)

Arguing about this point, or people's reaction to it, does not seem productive.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

that looks like rear end

It's more Spacestation 13, or Substation 13 than Subnautica.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Heffer posted:

How good is the prison loaf science?

I don't know but it has (optional) secret traitor mechanics and a clown costume. Also enormous undersea monsters whom are far more aggressive than Subnautica's fauna.

honk

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

On a side note, has anyone tried that Nitrox mod for multiplayer? My wife got super excited when I mentioned it but I have no idea how viable it is and I'd hate to get it up and running only to disappoint.

The mod is good and moderately stable. Observe a pair of goons using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljEEEXgUvEw

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Friend and I have been playing this mod. It is janky in ways that exceed even the original Subnautica, issues we've run into:
(issues about modded-multiplayer)

You're quite correct. The stream I linked now has some subsequent parts, and uh. Yea. Issues. In my defence the experience in the first clip seemed acceptably, for given Subnautica levels of not quite right.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Base building is still as good as always though and they certainly solved the issue of never having enough silver or copper this time around.

Out of curiosity, what's the limiting factor this time?

(Note I haven't played Below Zero, and am somewhat on the fence about it.)

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

The Eurogamer Article posted:

Unknown Worlds is currently working on "a new genre-defining game" due to launch into early access in 2022

I am confident this will not be genre defining. More likely just an uncommon or rare mix. Still, curious, assuming they hired actual programmers this time.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

problems
-I have the prawn blueprint ... I cannot build the drat thing for the life of me.
-No idea how to get the cyclops. i have bajillion parts for it.
-nothing progresses the story
-Game is hard as hell to google because of it's disorienting nature
-not an actual thing I am confused about, but gently caress everything needing copper and it being such a pain to harvest. For how much you use it, it should be as easy to find as titanium.

Cyclops ship schematic pickups are divided into three parts: engine, hull, and bridge. I think you need 3 of each to complete them. Check your schematics progress.
As for the Prawn, I think some of the materials required are gated behind (below) Seamoth depth upgrades, but it's been ages since I built one. How deep have you gone in meters?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Given you can cycle between keel, conning tower, and tail mounted cameras and pan them around (in addition to the cockpit) I would entirely dispute that the sonar is required. It is merely very useful.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

badjohny posted:

Has their been any talk from them about apple silicon support? I am running the experimental build and it flys on my M1 Max but native is always better. I know they are doing a big revamp for the 2.0 build of both games, just didn't know if it was on their radar. I looked on their discord but didn't see anything.

While the direct answer to your question is probably 'nothing' I can think of two reasons the expected answer should also be 'nothing':

1- Apple Silicon is still a teeny market share.
2- These devs are only now becoming competent.

Remember when they thought they needed the unity source code to remove terraforming from their game? Hilarious!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Do folks who don't like the Cyclops not know they can use the keel, stern, and conning tower cameras?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I was hoping Breathedge was gonna be a subnautica clone, but it's just not very good and the writing is some of the most grating, infantile poo poo I've seen since Postal 2.

This is an insult to Portal 2. I don't mean that to be confrontational but because of how unbelievably bad the writing, jokes, and general childishly nonsensical moronic experience trying to play Breathedge was. You can't even see Portal 2 from there.

Every time I came across a particularly dumb joke I paused and considered stopping, but kept playing because "Surely it must get better" and it was almost scratching the Subnautica itch.

I mean, the premise is almost ideal for a similar sort of gameplay; you're stranded in a derelict spaceship and must scrounge components, materials and blueprints from the wreckage strewn asteroid belt to improve your gear and gradually venture further and further in search of raw materials. It's visually very pretty, but the writing is truly offensive. Sadly the pacing is also rather poorly done. Each time I scrounged up materials for a venture out to the next signposted checkpoint 9/10 times the next immediate action was "Turn back and run for home else you'll suffocate". I ended up unlocking a number of things but never seemed allowed to build my own space habitat despite unlocking various parts. No idea how much progress that represented and don't really care to give it another go.

If by any chance the above intrigues anyone, let me mention the following irritants that bothered me, ranging from the merely uncomfortable, to nose-wrinkling disgust, to eye-opening-surprise at how this was chosen to be included in a commercial product. Variously and often repeatedly playing Breathedge subjected me to:

Dick jokes, scatological humour, objectifying women, insulting the player's intelligence (literally, your companion AI insults you), jokes complaining about censorship of violence against children, using the concept of 'gender identity' as a punchline, offensive stereotypes, more dick jokes, and generally inappropriate humour one might expect of a poorly socialized fifteen year old male who spends all their time on 4chan. Without filters or impulse control.

I regret thinking about it enough to write this.

Play Outer Wilds instead.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 3, 2023

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Chamale posted:

He said Postal 2

I am illiterate.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

OgNar posted:

In general the new mod structure is using the BepInEx mod structure rather than then old QMod manager.

I may or may not be incompetent or otherwise very dull, but in my recent exploration I was not able to get much result from the Subnautica mods available via the R2 Modmanager for Thunderstore.

It is my understanding that a good number of them are not compatible with the latest patch, and haven't been updated.

Some have, however, which leads me to believe I am doing something wrong. Can anyone else comment on general mod function... ness, from that source?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Plastik posted:

Playing through the game for the first time, ...
I have about 30 wall lockers down there and have since I got the thing so if this becomes A Thing...

Huh. Subnautica is indeed a buggy game, even after years of patches and many many other, different bugs that's the first time I've heard of that happening. I think I've had... three playthroughs and always outfitted my Cyclops similar as yours, but never experienced that particular adventure. I would empty those wayward lockers, deconstruct them, replace them, and not worry about it.

If it happens again, (which I entirely believe could happen again, Subnautica is just like that) then maybe you're a special kind of lucky.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So I'm finally getting around to playing Below Zero. I can see why there's no Seamoth or Cyclops, given what they did with the environment design. I still miss my giant submarine.

A spoilery question: Y/N

Do I need ever need to come back to the various minor alien curios I'm finding for Alan? I imagine any larger discoveries will be obvious, but I'm not sure about the little ones.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Zesty posted:

Let us know what you think as you play through.

I don't really know why it's taken me so long to play it. I think I heard about how much of a different experience it was and shelved it for later. Recently I watched a blind LP of Subnautica, which inspired me to replay it. I've since had a bit more free time and booted up the sequel. It's certainly different, but still has some of the same magic.

I was stuck with the Seatruck without depth upgrades and no rebreather for quite a while, which made exploring deep rather tricky. I've since improved both but am still without the high capacity air tank, which is a bother, but the truck cab itself can sneak into most of the regions and suit itself to refill my air. Annoyingly I have the ultra-capacity tank unlocked, but it's an upgrade of the mid-tier version...

Amusingly I built my first non-tube base right on top of the SOS signal. I'm amassing a pile of most of the basic resources, so mostly I think I'm limited by blueprints/fragments and figuring out where to find specific rare items. Like where the heck 'Spiral plants' are. (Don't answer that please.)

Thus far it seems like most of the large predators have been scaled down, and don't seem very threatening. (We'll see how wrong I may be)

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Thus far it seems like most of the large predators have been scaled down, and don't seem very threatening. (We'll see how wrong I may be)

I AM WRONG.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

My initial impressions were that the game felt smaller, but denser. I think this is still true. My first playthrough of Subnautica I played with a paper map (only crater outline and the Aurora wreck) and I think I'm going to try to find and print something similar. The game gives you broad maps soon enough that I feel like I know the shape of the surface map, at least the seaborne side. The Delta Island is a pretty good landmark, although given all the signals received my beacon list is getting quite crowded.

Going back to my original Subnautica playthrough, I deployed a number of scanner station and recharging outposts (Close to 8 I think, that was a bit more of a slog) which given the size of this space may be better suited. Although, I have just found enough magnetite to upgrade my (BZ) scanner room to 500m and I kind of wish the map would scale down a bit for the space. It's nice that I can scan for rare things I'm missing (also FINALLY have the hud chip) but it's actually rather frustrating to try to path the route from the map if you can only find 2-3 in a remote cave.

It's nice that ion power cells are unlocked so much earlier, so I probably don't need to include charging stations if I build many outposts. That and all the nuclear loot from the Mercury (nevermind the ore) means power has been an absolute non-issue. The recyclotron is a neat perk, and I haven't even taken out my prawn for mining yet, although I'm going to want more copper soon. I don't know what we're supposed to use this absolute huge amount of silver for. Maybe I'll fill a spare locker with wiring kits.

The resource mix change from the original and the broad scale removal of metal salvage (although fragments make up for it somewhat) I think are a positive change. Generally I'm swimming in Titanium and have been setting out on expeditions for specific things. With a double storage seatruck I can carry a fair amount of goods (although the various small-ish storage lockers are a bit of a bother) and so my resource shortages have moved from Ti/Copper to gold, to lithium, and now back to copper and lead of all things. I'm sure lead is plentiful somewhere.

I feel like I'm missing something as I still haven't found the first tank upgrade, exploring with 75s of air is a bit of a bother, but with vehicle support it's been manageable. I've been using the air bladder as a safety utility. Did anyone really feel like the handheld mineral scanner was useful? I'm pretty sure I'm going to relegate it to the locker now that I've a scanner room link. My limitations now are on user time to build and make a nice base as I'm full up on resources and new tools to test.

Semi-spoilerish question, Y/N
Is the magic ion quantum teleporter locker of any use? Wouldn't I need two or more? And if I build one, can it be recycled? Maybe it has a magic huge capacity.

Also I do not want to go back into the purple crystal zone.

E:

Waffle House posted:

... aggroing, snarling Cryptosuchus ...

That's my impression of most of the shallow surface level carnivores; medium sized, noisy, maybe a danger if you're out in your seaglide, but not very threatening and I acclimated quickly. I've only encountered one small leviathan at that depth that was not basically ignorable once I got my Seatruck. I do wonder about the gameplay decision to put a Seatruck defence module on Maida's table That find definitely reinforced my impression and I wonder at the different experiences of those who may have overlooked it.

Deeper though, there's spooky things down there.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 9, 2023

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why not just take a spare air tank?

I was going to say, you can just carry a second tank. You have to swap them manually, and it is a compromise on inventory capacity, but the game doesn't really tell you that the tank itself is holding the air, despite having an 'air bar' on the tank item.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Noot fish are very silly.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Waffle House posted:

Bigger or smaller than a Seamoth?

About the size of a multi-purpose room?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I vaguely remember thinking 'this is amazing' the first time I dove in from my pod at night and saw all the bioluminescent critters. It's still pretty great to see sometimes.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

General Battuta posted:

What the gently caress lol

The common Subnautica experience. Everybody finds 1 new entirely unique bug.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I desperately want to play Call of the Void when it's released, ...

Sorry to be a Christmas grinch, but you've probably seen the sum total of content for it. It's a fan video that hopes to somehow become into a mod. One day. "If there's enough interest."

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

So my first thought was "Oh No! Live service bullshit."

Then I thought about Astroneer, which has a somewhat similar gameplay, although it's much cozier and safer. (No mobile threats, and otherwise your other threats are falling off things to your death or asphyxiating, both extremely avoidable, especially as your oxygen tethers are cheap and easy to craft)

It appears to be monetizing around cosmetic hats and costumes for your astronaut, and runs regular and holiday events and challenges. It is also very supportive of multiplayer and you can absolutely ignore the cosmetic extras.

A Subnautica with that sort of business model would be pretty great in my mind. Modern game dev is expensive, even so if you're bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Zesty posted:

The microtransactions of Astroneer are the worst part of it, and they're so out of place.

You can just not click the 'dress up my astronaut' button?