Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i was excited when i finally built my cyclops but then i realized i don't and can't seem to find power cell recharge fragments and that stupid monster eats power like crazy even with efficiency upgrade. Not fun doing the seamoth solar recharge/prawn moonpool shuffle to charge two dozen cells.

I've searched the entire jelly caves and mushroom fields and can't find poo poo. my end of the mushroom field base can't find any data fragments either with its scanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think the collision doesn't really work for the prawn when docked. It used to be that it didn't for the seamoth either but they seem to have fixed that, just not for the prawn.

i've jumped through my seamoth a lot, i think it's just flat turned off or does not exist from the bottom. One of my beefs with the moonpool is that it doesn't seem possible to access prawn upgrades from it and changing out batteries still requires jumping in, although in theory that isn't problematic given that the pool recharges (it is if you dont have the cell charger though)

GlyphGryph posted:

I have found the cyclops... doesnt really drain power all that much? I have been using it a lot and I am still on the original power cells, even though I have so much copper I made two whole backup sets of power cells. rechargers would really just be a convenience, its not like it takes long to refill the thing from gathering, esp. with a scanner room.

I DO try to do all my crafting in various bases though and mostly use the cyclops as a mobile supply warehouse (it contains something like 24 wall lockers in the first room alone right now).

I thought I would hate it after the changes but even though the fire for going to fast thing is dumb as heck I still love being able to scavenge for stuff and have the endless storage of the cyclops to stuff it into.

i dunno the drat thing was burning it fast and i never installed anything like fabricator or medkit or anything else. All i have is a growbed. To go from my mushroom/bulb base to the nearest lost river entrance was like 30% power loss (It is about 900M away). Really it's one of the things preventing me from setting a much deeper base up. I even went through the trouble of stocking the cyclops up with enough materials to set a self sufficient base up at any location

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Wow, like I said I have been driving it around for a while and I have only used up like thirty percent TOTAL.

Are you using silent running or pinging the radar or always being in max gear or i dunno, always having the outdoor lights on?

Nope

the lights also don't use power since you can turn the engine off and leave all the lights on with zero power loss

probably just gonna say gently caress it and setup in deep lost river, i can't advance without getting kyanite or nickle at this point

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 5, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Krogort posted:

Silent running, sonar and shield burn trough battery very fast, other than that you can probably go through the map north to south like 5 time before running out.

i'm not using any of those. Sonar is an on for one ping then off again thing when i need it

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Nah, peepers give much more. Gelsacks are a weird strat I blundered into but it works so well I'm drowning in sacks from one external plant bed and never have to worry about power.

i usually just throw bulb bush cuttings in but my one bioreactor is a supplemental reactor to some thermals i have

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Kinda funny they didnt want to add guns but quite frankly ive indiscriminately murdered dozens of bonesharks, sandsharks, stalkers and the repulsion cannon launches things a hundred meters.

As for cyclops energy draw still havent figured oit why its so high and yes i do have the 300% mod in.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

Did anyone else just rip the cameras off of their scanner rooms and throw them away? Because Stalkers keep coming around and stealing them, and it's super annoying.

just turn off their beacons and let them, it helps get more teeth.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah the dog whistle noise in particular is really distinctive and noticeable

who knew those leviathans were screeching racial epithets

and i'm pretty sure the bonesharks liked to yammer about :biotruths:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
nothing public no

but hes got a rush of defenders that seem straight out of 4chan so probably for the best

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dongattack posted:

I'll never understand why people just don't make a anonymous account to talk about hosed up poo poo instead of using their Lead Sound Designer account :q:

Because they don't think it's hosed up poo poo so why would it be bad?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah. Guess we know why he applied for that job

:biotruths:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

uXs posted:

You can make water out of fish, or out of salt and coral in a second using a fabricator and a small amount of power. But extracting water out of, well, water, for that you need a gigantic machine, a shitload of power, and it also takes half an hour. Oh subnautica, you so crazy.

Also today I discovered you need to actually plant the creepvine clusters to grow creepvine that will have clusters. Merely planting the creepvine won't do. That makes sense.

Yeah my first planting bed i used a cutting for it and welp, all i got was more cuttings then i was like ohh, seed, ok.

I've also got some beds setup that have a single piece of flora of whatever stuff i find in the safe shallows. Same with any dry land life

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

So I finally found my very last cyclops hull fragment and built one of those big ole bastards and, well, it’s a real different experience to pilot than my beloved little Seamoth. Best example I can think of is driving a tour bus versus driving a go kart. However, The depth mod for my seamoth currently only goes to 300 Meters so I don’t really have a choice here.

Some cyclops questions:

Is it possible to “nose up” or “nose down” the cyclops or is it always going to be more or less parallel to the sea floor? The only way I can figure out to descend in this drat thing is straight down with the C button but that’s going to make getting through even big tunnels with this monster a practical impossibility.

I’m hesitant to use the drat thing since it runs on, what, six full power cells that I don’t have any way I can think of to recharge in the field. The best scenario I can think of is that I can always make a resupply run using the seamoth from the cyclops back to my shoals base, which has a power cell charger and a shitload of solar panels, swap out the spent cells and pick up another set of fresh ones, bring them back to the cyclops and plug them into the engine, but that seems pretty cumbersome. Is it possible to build a bio reactor in the cyclops to power it with the souls of alien fish? Is there a solar array I can build on this thing like on the seamoth? I can’t see where either is possible.

Also, what things would you guys recommend building on/in the cyclops and where? I would like to use it as a mobile base but I don’t want to accidentally wind up turning it into a massive power sink.

Can't nose up or down, but the proximity detector should tell you what's close to hitting dirt. I built a bunch of lockers and a growbed to shove lantern fruit on. You can't build any reactors or solar stuff onto it which would apparently be too easy.

Just put all the mats to build a multipurpose room and a bio or thermal reactor + cell rechargers, and you can pause and recharge whenever.

if you build a mod station you should be able to upgrade that 300m to 900m

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

This opened up the game for me because now I can actually find things with the scanner HUD upgrade. First thing I'm probably going to do is set up a FOB there and dig up all the magnetite because it was a colossal PITA to spot, just a dark rock on dark walls.

All the parts for the Cyclops can be found in the NW mushroom forest, which is only 175m below the surface.

Cyclops is super easy to unlock so yeah.

One of the wrecks i found in the grand reef area though, had a good 10 engine fragments sitting around, it was really weird. Another wreck had 15-20 prawn arms. I restarted a game and there was no moonpool frags anywhere this time.

Something is seriously hosed up about fragment spawning, doesn't seem to have any logic. Not being able to find moonpool stuff is poo poo

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tobermory posted:

From a couple of quick restarts, it seems like a full set of moonpool fragments consistently spawns at wreck 20, just north of the signal for lifepod 19.

I got 47 million grav trap fragments there, no moonpool

grav traps inside (in a huge pile) grav traps outside. i think it was their volleyball segment

for real all the wrecks this world seem to be comprised of solely one type of fragment. Prawn arms for one, seamoths at another, cyclops engines at a different one. (my cell recharger was actually at the jelly base this time)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 7, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Spent hours last night moving my base out of the shoals a few hundred metres west to the red plateaus to hang out with the reefbacks. Feels good to finally have a moonpool put in. Now if I can only get over my crippling fear of the deep places. I don't even consider myself to be scared of deep water in real life this game just unnerves the gently caress out of me. I managed to go to the aurora and get everything and back without running into a reaper, didn't even know they patrolled around there till my friend told me.

Put a sonar mod on the seamoth if you're worried, the pings really help spot reapers. I usually roll it with the depth mod, solar charge, sonar and a storage unit, although the solar can easily be swapped out when unneeded for something like durability. The sonar is just so handy for finding hard to spot little openings too, and it has the range to show you that you aren't far from solid ground/sea bed.

plus i think the leviathans roar whenever you ping

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Power question, if I have a base set up with both solar and nuclear will the energy reserves from the solar panels drain first, preserving the generstor's fuel rods, or will it drain both simultaneously?

I believe it drains based on the order it was constructed in, so start with building any thermal or solar units first, and end with bio/nuclear

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

uXs posted:

I have 10 numeric keys, no reason not to give me 10 quickbar slots.

1 Knife
2 Flashlight
3 Scanner
4 Repair tool
5 Habitat builder
6 Seaglide
7 Laser cutter

And that's about it? Except for the guns I never used. But no, I'm basically forced to switch out one or 2 tools each time I go inside or outside my base.

Game is excellent, but there's some really weird (or stupid) choices.

the repulsion cannon is actually ace so you should use it. it's fun to launch warpers ~100m away from you

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Oasx posted:

The cyclops combined the lava section was not fun, and it was the first time the game felt like a chore. But I completed the game and overall it is a great experience. I just hope the developers get around to fixing all the bugs that have been around for years.

Something odd happened to my base towards the end, the upper part of it became completely flooded despite the structure being high, and the lights were notability dimmer. Not sure if it was a bug or I did something wrong.

the dim lights thing happened to me too, not sure why. probably a bug.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm sad that large numbers of flares seems to tank the framerate. I wanted to light up the ocean in front of my house.

setup exterior beds and plant creepvine seeds. those fuckers are way bright

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ah right, then it's more like PRAWN punches and drills don't do that much damage compared to the knife or the thermoblade.

Which kind of makes sense.

There might be ranges on what can spawn where but yeah, the map is pretty static. Subnautica is less about your survival skill and more about your survival experience in this place. Procgen is great for replayability but bad for telling a consistent story.

You can kill most things with 2-3 prawn punches. It does way more than the knife. The drill doesnt do much in comparison either, but does drive stuff off.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Section Z posted:

When they are working as intended they are supposed to gently caress off. But, well, it's not quite as enjoyable when something in their AI realizes "Wait a minute. I'm literally unkillable!"

I've not been unfortunate enough yet to have them camping out a base though, except when I make small one room outposts with a fabricator by the shoreline where I can frustrate them by swimming the five feet to land.

EDIT: Unrelated, my closest call last night was forgetting how bullshit the cyclops energy economy is without thermals and ions. "I'll just pop my timecapsule ion batteries into the single charger and off we go. I'll have the thermal reactor soon enough-Why are multiple power cells drained already... Oh, right." Everything is all topped up again, but figures it happens the one time I didn't obsessively craft 12+ spare power cells.

basically don't build energy using things into the cyclops until you get thermals, after tho... considering you only really need one trip to the lava stuff.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

The ending is pretty cool, but you could watch it on youtube if you don't have the mats for the rocket on hand and can't be arsed to farm them.

I do know that the achievements for building the rocket and launching a Time Capsule are currently bugged, though, so there's no harm in waiting is that's something you care about.

My first delve to the lava area with the cyclops i ended up crawling around with the prawn drilling everything, since it's got drill nodes for every single material it's easy to just spend a half hour or so running around doing nothing but gathering materials

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I do wish the Beacons let you filter by color and/or type. I got to a point pretty quick where I was limiting how many I dropped because the screen took forever to scroll through.

Edit: And I still can't get over the fact that the water filtration machine takes up half the power output of a nuclear reactor. Like, less than an hour into the game you can easily find plants that sate your basic needs literally forever, so why bother making it cost so much?

Less clicks = bad to the devs. My next playthrough will probably have that turned off since it's only ever a problem early on.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I understand the need for a set number of clicks to keep the pace steady, but it woulda been cool if they'd gone with something like what Stardew Valley has where you gradually unlock more automation and quality of life stuff as the game progresses.

it's more that the devs view convenience as something that should come with significant drawbacks and not just stardew valley's automation curve which does not include any real drawbacks

but i'm also not sure why the stillsuit is so out of tune with that since food is super easy as hell to keep maxed out

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's a very specific feel/experience that the devs are going for with this and unfortunately past a point automation actively goes against that. It's too empowering.

It's also something that keeps the limited nature of the world from being too much of a drawback. The more automation you have, the more you're going to explore (because there's only 3 things you actually do in the game: gather, build, explore,) the faster you're going to run out of things to explore, the faster you're going to put down the game and never pick it back up because you're finished with it.

Heck, in my completed game I never went to the Dunes, Sea Treader Path or the meat of the Mountain's zone and pretty much the only thing I was missing was the stillsuit. Also passed up the Ghost Tree area in the Lost River.

that might be what they were going for but it doesn't feel like it accomplishes that with how quickly those stop being problems

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Marblemelons aren't great because you have to harvest them with your knife and that can cause problems. Chinese potatoes don't have that problem.

Bulboa tree is the only plant that gives acceptable water now ever since they nerfed the fruit.
I usually forget that you Bulboa's are even edible though so I grab a lantern and chinese potato. Eat potatoes and top off my hunger with lanterns, then stick the rest of the potato plant in my bioreactor (after replanting of course.)

When I've got an alien containment set up I gradually migrate to salted reggies and big filtered waters though. Can't be beat.
When you get the stillsuit the lantern fruit works fine since it grows like 20 at a time and you never have to replant or even equip your knife

GlyphGryph posted:

The reason people say to grow plants for food is because they provide water too (bulboa tree is better than lanternfruit because of this). So basically you can top off your food and water for no cost every time you return to your cyclops/base without consuming any resources.

What engine bugs? I've never had a problem with them. I've got them in wall hangars all around the cyclops.

Chinese potato is garbage, not enough water quality, Bulboa tree is better.

I'm a fan of bulbos myself, especially since the last slice off it always gives you two so you can replant and eat

Oasx posted:

Another thing that I think would help would be to put the damage indicator on the main cyclops hud, having to stop and step back so you can see that screen is a little annoying.

Also, when I first tried removing lava larva’s manually, a new one attached itself to the hull as fast as I could pull them off, is it actually possible to do something about them without the shield generator?

Lava larva die in 2-3 thermal slice hits, i usually made a point of hunting down ones i just peeled off the hull and murdering them

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I put 3 posters, the mini aurora and two ion cells in my capsule.

I never actually found any capsules while playing

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think I got that time capsule! The first one I found was basically just that; it all decorates my house now.

my title was just like "memorabilia" or something. i was gonna toss in some other posters but i figured someone would Get Mad that i didn't put something at least marginally useful in, so i threw in the two ion cells i ripped out of my cyclops. this was before i knew people were super bitter about 'useful' contents

i did manage to find one in a restart (sans food/water mechanic because those are frankly just irritating to me since i don't feel like they are interesting enough to deal with), and it had a heat knife, two salted peepers and a water or two, so basically i got a bunch of stuff that doesn't help this playthrough

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Any recommended graphics settings to turn down that will improve performance and not make the game look like poo poo? I turned textures down to medium and, since I'm playing big picture on my tv, it was imperceptible. But I still get quite a bit of hitching when switching biomes or breaking the surface.

The game is the problem

to expand on it, it runs like poo poo pretty much regardless

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Jets, Thermal, Depth, Cargo (more drill space).

i do appreciate how the +cargo on the prawn actually expand the one inventory it has, instead of add another pouch like it does to the seamoth

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

The whole point of the cyclops is that having one means you never have to build a second base. Anything you can do in a base you can do in a cyclops, although being able to recharge power cells comes later and is never very effective so you will want to build like eighteen of those and a whole bunch of batteries so you only have to return to your normal base once ever to recharge them, and even thats based on puttering around doing poo poo that isnt needed.

Although its also a really amazing cargo truck, yeah, incredibly useful for that if you DO want to build a second base. You can even store an entire base inside (I do, I have a locker for scanner room and thermal power, and one the moonpool and upgrade station, and a third for power cell chargers. If needed, I just build a base on the fly and disassemble it when I am done)

As soon as you get the thermal charge you stop really needing a base unless you need a scanner room. Vents are all over, just put up a cell charger and charge away

basically once you've made your go down to the lava spot you've got everything you need

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Weirdly, the game already sort of has some sort of silent cache. If you pick up a time capsule and don't have room for it, stuff isn't ejected on the ground. It's held in some ethereal space until you free up inventory and then it just appears there again.

the stillsuit does that too if you're out of room for pisswater

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Good ol' scanner room hopping for stuff.

Bioreactor is ok but charges too slow for any serious base usage. Multipurpose rooms are a big boon on base design not only because they're good rooms but also because they have 8 slots you can stick reinforcements in so you can have one really tough room and the rest of your base as glass/windows.

bioreactor's purpose is as a backup for serious powerdrain times on thermals, so they should take minimal time

like "i'm charging 4 batteries, 2 cells, the prawn and running the scanner"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Section Z posted:

People falling through the earth is apparently still claimed to be a high priority, but it's been an issue with the game for well over a year now. And they still launched with it that way :sigh:

I was slingshotting around with my prawn suit and flew through unloaded terrain. Only managed to save myself by a well timed grapple into the tube from the lost river leading to the lava area

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Danaru posted:

drat, building at 900 depth is no joke, I installed a water filter, and immediately all my walls started imploding on me :whitewater: Thankfully there was a lithium deposit like, literally right below my base, so I was able to poo poo out reinforcements without any effort.

Something I've been noticing is when I mine out a large deposit, I think a little bit of it remains just barely under the map. This wouldn't be an issue, but it still pings on my scanner room, and now I have three titanium signals that I've already mined out as much as possible.

Also I figured as much, but drat Leviathans have a bunch of health. I decided to get real spicy and grappled onto the ghost jerk in the lost river, but I ended up dying of thirst before drilling him to death. I haven't seen him for a while so he seems to have gotten the message, but now I'm worried he'll be out for revenge :ohdear:

As far as i can tell the drill is not even close to as strong as just the punchfist

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

Bioreactors and nuclear reactors both are suboptimal compared to thermal reactors, imo. Nuclear is okay if you can get over the terrifyingly huge need for otherwise-useless lead, but the bioreactor is just WAY too much trouble. Build near a thermal vent, and stack a dozen thermal plants on it. Problem solved forever.

i usually plop down a bioreactor/2 thermals and it handles everything

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Devian666 posted:

I played through the first time never building a scan room. It's not critical unless you are focusing on large volumes of material.

Stalker teeth are annoying to find and it helps with that, and those stupid loving teeth also have an annoying habit of falling through the world. They're not "critical" but they are definitely a QoL item

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Untrustable posted:

I am stuck? I'm 48 hours in and have spent a considerable amount of time building a massive base at lifepod 2 along with a prawn and a cyclops. I have constant nuclear power and a self sustaining base for the most part. Lifepod 2 was the last radio transmission I received. I don't know what the game wants me to do. I did get attacked by a ghost Leviathan but it didn't stand a chance against Fishpuncher (my prawn's name).

Explore deeper areas and look for holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

No you can't complete the game without building a base, you need to build at least a moonpool at some point. The Prawn Suit Depth Module MK1 can only be crafted in the vehicle modification station, and that requires a moonpool, Cyclopes not allowed. You can make the Mk2 and Mk3 depth modules in the normal Modification Station (which you can put in the Cyclopes) but not the first one.

You also can't beat the game without the Prawn Suit, you need the prawn suit depth upgrades to mine Kyanite for MK3 depth modules to get the Cyclopes into the final story areas.

you could theoretically make an insanely long air pipe but haha wow effort