Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

Its Rust style lots of people multiplayer. I've read that its fun (if you enjoy that sort of game) until someone rolls up in power armor on a T-rex and annihilates you with a plasma rifle while you throw rocks in retaliation.

So, every game in that genre, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

They can't actually decouple terraforming can they? They're just removing terrain deformation and calling it a day.

If they remove all ways to deform the terrain they can stop tracking changes to the terrain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Huh, when did they add being able to deconstruct the fabricator and signal receiver in the lifepod?

If they're going to let you do that I would have thought they'd let you pull out the power cells as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

It's unrealistic? :shepface: You can push a button on a device to create a large room complete with oxygen scrubbing and lighting out of some chunks of titanium, but a scifi power source is where people call foul?

to be fair, I've always been on the side of "It's cool, so gently caress it" scifi reality, but still

Specifically, unplugging one of the power cells on the wall and plugging it into your base is presumably very difficult.

I can only assume the self charging cells use BS1363 and everything else uses Walsall Gauge 13A

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The air bladder substantially improves your ascend ability allowing you to dive significantly deeper than you otherwise could.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

You absolutely don't need anything but a scanner, a welder and a radiation suit to get into the Aurora.

You can just enter from the back of the ship, run through the fire above the first part with a bunch of boxes stopping you and drop down. You take about thirty damage.

I think you need a laser cutter to get into all the compartments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What makes me suspect it may be intentional that you can jump over the crates is that there's a way to climb back over them from the far side that seems deliberate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reinforced dive suit also expands your thermal resistance to about 70C I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SMH if you aren't running up to every squid you find and punching it in the... erm... tentacular plexus with the prawn suit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

Before or after a warper pulls you out of it?

Never actually happened to me, I always go punch them in the face too. They bugger off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a bit weird that you specifically need silver for circuitry and you can't sub in gold.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

An actual question: Am I using the outdoor planters wrong if I'm using them for Acid or Deep Mushrooms since they're a 1:1 input:output? Having them near/at a base is much better than having to go to Deep Mushroom spawns.

To get seeds out of mushrooms you have to hit them with your knife.

Be aware however that there is a reason they are called acid mushrooms. And also that they are not necessarily immune to their own acid, I have had them chain react before.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the game would be better if it was a sequence of survival challenges that you can progressively overcome. So to start you have to spend a lot of time finding basic food and water, but as you progress and do that for a while and get somewhere while doing it, you get to automate it away, which then facilitates the pursuit of greater challenges.

To an extent the game does that, but also to an extent, the game likes putting in "features" that make you very susceptible to losing major chunks of your progression and making you redo them, which is very counterproductive to an exploration game.

"No you explored wrong go back and do the last level again so you can have another go at exploring" is not good design, and the cyclops changes seem to be a substantial step towards that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 8, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The edge of the shelf is creepy enough as is, and I don't see why you need to stop people going into it, there's literally nothing there. You could entirely realistically just make it go below crush depth for your sub, as the abyssal plain does, and be done with it.

I don't really see what introducing more chances for the crappy spawn code to dump a reaper on your head benefits anything. And I genuinely do like that you just hit the edge of the shelf and it just... drops. There is nothing below you but endless black, no matter how deep you go. That's a really neat thing made all the cooler by the fact that it's actually real, real life does that. Putting reapers in it spoils an actually neat experience that can be had in the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 21, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Voyager I posted:

I think in general stealth gameplay is something you're meant to design a game around from the very beginning rather than something you add on a whim 90% through development.

Also unless you're playing silent hunter, possibly it shouldn't be a thing in a game where you're driving a house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bhodi posted:

:rolleyes: i'm not having a "this isn't realistic" discussion in a game that has magic fabricators and the ability to carry enough material in your swimsuit to construct a giant sub, again, out of thin air

I'm just saying it makes sense in game logic if you take a material from a creature and make something with it, that creature will have the ability to damage it

However a nuclear space submarine from the future shouldn't be damaged by slightly oversized barracudas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I cannot imagine using the cyclops in a slower gear than it was already lodged in before the patch, drat thing is painfully slow as is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a difference between 100% invincible and "have to drive in first gear everywhere to avoid taking tedious chip damage from everything."

Making it vulnerable to massive lifeforms and environmental hazards would be one thing but I see no compelling reason to make it vulnerable to smaller things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not even as though it does anything, moving around on the surface is easy, in any vehicle. Why would the biggest most expensive vehicle be more affected by wildlife than any of the other vehicles?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thermal generators that needed to be positioned away from the base for optimum thermal power (good temps for them are bad temps for your player character) and which could attract predators, or things trying to nest in them and jamming them up, could be an interesting mechanic. As it would encourage you to go and fight something.

Would need to be quite carefully handled though and no doubt they'd just make peepers bump into them and cause them to chain explode or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are a number of items which only fit in the big room unfortunately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I was inspired to play by the Neebs gaming series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMmiTTTUdQs

I got a lot of tips on avoiding early problems watching these, like reinforcing your base and such. Probably best to start with the first video to get the setup and injokes.

Anyways, I realized a scanner room will help me because I am having a bitch of a time finding the gel I need to make the Prawn Suit. Though do I really need one? Outside of the drill for the large nodes, I don't see a use for it yet. My Sea Moth now goes down to 900meters, and I admit, the Cyclops is pretty hard to control, not to mention every aggressive fish attacks it if I get close even with silent running on.

Space hicks trapped on water planet is a pretty fun series, cheers for linking it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gel sacks afaik only spawn in a tiny little trench on the nearside of the aurora. It's the weirdest thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Nah they're in a couple different places like the Mushroom Forest and most of the really deep areas.

Guess that explains why I never find them as I never go to the forest because there's nowt there.

Also you'll probably need the aerogel to get really deep because pressure comps are expensive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The visibility in the lost river can make it hard to find the way down from there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can make a base anywhere really though I would suggest not putting one next to reaper territory. That cave has thermal vents in it so it would actually be one of the better places if you don't mind the slight risk of being eaten. Though you would struggle to get the cyclops in and out of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To my knowledge nothing will yet attack the base deliberately, it's just a pain in the arse cos they will go for you and your vehicles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's also the other exit that just takes you out into the open ocean. Much easier.

Or the other other exit that brings you out in the grand reef.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sea treaders do generate resource outcrops but it's only a few specific types of resource.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

Question: what do you guys consider 'must have' in a base? I've set up a small-ish but fully functional base in the lost river - power from a geyser, some food from plants, water dispenser, fabricator, battery & cell charger, and a moonpool.

I'm probably going to add a scanner room since I've never used one and this place seems like it might be a useful location to try them.

Tallest point of the base has to be a multipurpose room with all the walls covered in windows, accessed by a ladder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Riveting gameplay to some, it seems.

As opposed to gluing two batteries together and sticking them in the reactor?

You can make new, charged powercells.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

These days though, actual agency is a dirty word while people berate you for "Overusing your flamethrower" in Alien Isolation, having expected a flamethrower in an aliens game to kill some xenos rather than just be a mild inconvenience for them to walk through unscathed and eat your face.

In fairness, in an Alien (singular) game that's basically exactly what a flamethrower does. It's in the film and everything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haven't played in a couple of updates but the new ping manager and the changes to seaglide power usage are both fantastic, I never used that thing because it used to guzzle batteries but now it's really useful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I've been having trouble finding anywhere that actually looks safe to make my sealab.

I'd love to go into one of the dark bits just for the observatory value when everything's all lit up, but I figure one of those eels or a stray reaper or something would just come and blast me apart.

I quite like making one in the red grass plains above the mushroom caves for my first base, from there you can drop one in the blood kelp or the grand reef, I would say don't go deeper than 200m or so until you get thermal plants because solar panels stop working by 300m down, so you either have to keep fuelling the bioreactors or settle near a thermal vent, and there are some excellent places near thermal vents to make deeper bases, one of them just above 900m down which puts it at the edge of your seamoth range with all the upgrades, makes a perfect staging point.

You can also build a surface base in the shallows, the water is shallow enough in places that you can easily drop a foundation above the water and cover it in exterior plants.

But the red grass plains or the little sandy part between the grass and the descent to where the reef begins are probably the nicest places, good open run of water for the cyclops and fairly central to a bunch of useful biomes, also solar friendly though you might need a few of them at that depth. No large predators. Also some nice geological formations to build around with the big pillars or the little caves in the sandy section.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There isn't really much technique involved in using it, just drive it past the baddies, use silent running to not get hit for a bit, turn the engine off occasionally and repair it.

Basically just accept it's a pile of poo poo and don't use it unless you have to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

How do you guys power your bases? I've been using a combo of solar and thermal plants but it seems unstable, especially once I install a water purifier. Plus, the max power from the thermal plants is continually fluctuating and I can't figure out why.

Thermals if deep, solar if high, sometimes with a bio reactor if I can't get either of the others.

Water purifiers use an absurd amount of power so generally I recommend leaving them to fill up and then just pulling one filtered water out at a time when you're full on power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

botany posted:

Update: found an alien building that is also a transformer!

Update 2: ... uhm... :gonk:

That's basically how that normally goes yep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Dreamfall Chapters isn't trying to do anything particularly impressive and good god does it run like trash. What happened with the Natural Selection 2 engine they nearly bankrupted themselves making?

It also runs like garbo, entertainingly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I just find it baffling that the developers seem to be trying really hard to remove the fun from the game. It is a nice game and does some things you don't really get elsewhere but it has barely improved in the past year or so. They just keep faffing about making nonsensical changes while adding in some story content.

For a game whose greatest strengths are atmosphere and visuals they seem rather unconcerned about lousy performance and very overly concerned with making you click the most amount of buttons and wait the longest possible to make sure you don't die of hunger or run out of submarine batteries.

Like the initial development of the game added good things and now they just seem to have run in circles for a year doing little of substance and having no idea what they want the game to be. It's bizzare.

The game isn't bad and I don't think I paid very much for it so I'm not feeling ripped off, but the devs are still idiots and don't seem to have learned anything from their previous game development which did basically the same thing. They have a good art director and an utter idiot with no sense of direction in charge of design, and another idiot with no sense of his own capabilities in charge of programming.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Now these are all good things! They worked well this time. Code optimization tho... and as everyone here knows, they should be making any new content mostly so other staff has something to do. Who knows what the finances look like but they haven't fired anyone I guess?

Still, could you imagine if the game got proper draw distance on console hardware? I think Subnautica could get shockingly successful if they only could solve that gordian knot.

Least they not adding bad content.

Even if they did solve the technical issue I would honestly prefer to keep most of the draw distance limitations, maybe make glowing objects visible in the distance but the specifics of the terrain work well being kept in the fog. If your base and some glowing objects showed up as landmarks though, that would help orientation.