Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, you're in the ocean, and the thing about oceans is they have a bottom. Don't you wonder what's down in the black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I know, right? These people are receiving help from a stranger and throwing it in the mud. Then, when it comes their time to help someone else, they give them a bottle of piss. It costs absolutely nothing to put anything in a time capsule, why would you not do that. There's some kind of deep social commentary to be made here but I am too angry about this and I just can not be arsed.

I mean you can make the argument that you might want to make your time capsule something enjoyable, not necessarily powerful. The fanfic ones for example are great for that. But just putting a gently caress you in there is daft yeah.

I wouldn't want every capsule to have endgame loot in them but I'd put, like, a bunch of nutri blocks and +50 water bottles in it at least, something useful. Or something interesting like a hint message or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was considering putting as many of the hardest to get to plant samples in there as possible, and then call it a GECK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd like to do that but plant seeds take up a ton of space. Think you could only fit two large ones in there max.

Yeah it'd have to be the small ones which does limit what you can get.

Torps honestly are kinda weird, they don't really do anything, they home in which is nice, but I don't really know what the point is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Subnautica is getting modding?

Now I'm gonna wait for a dope modding scene.

Well, more that subnautica is being modded whether the devs want it or not, I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here? Do I go to the big wreck? I would just like to know so I can check this off my list.

Look carefully at the horizon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So do you need a free hand to pick up stuff in the prawn suit?

Yes, though the drill will pick up what it drills happily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pelvic thrust to engage the grapple donger

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

They should do that anyway. Having a pilotable vehicle that you can walk around in the interior of is something I never knew I wanted so much in a game. Like, how has no one made a spaceship game like that yet??

AFAIK only Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen (lol) have that as upcoming features

X4 has that too to a degree, if you're curious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The least known spice girl, obviously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asciana posted:

Nah, I died to that one the first time I went in the Aurora because I didnt know what to do. Lesson learned quickly.

I mean, your instinct is generally to mash buttons and flail and afaik that's the optimal solution.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DraegonX posted:

How do you guys get to the deep grand reef degassi base? Specifically, I mean where do you enter from the surface. The only was I found was to go to lifepod 2 and then all the way through the lost river. That can't possibly be the intended route, right? But there doesn't seem to be an entrance anywhere near the waypoint beacon they give you and I couldn't find any other way in. Thanks.

The cavern it's in opens out into the main grand reef, the deep reef and the grand reef are directly connected.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

From a game design perspective, crafting time can be seen as a way to encourage the player to optimize their time. If something takes a long time to craft then you will look for something to do during this period of time. This could be working on other projects, or figuring out a way to optimize the crafting process. A lot of games with long crafting times include forms of automation to speed up the process and allow you to process multiple materials at once. It adds another dimension of progress to the game; you aren't just working towards building more stuff, but building more stuff in the most efficient manner possible.

I don't think this has a place in Subnautica though. Subnautica doesn't have enough materials and extensive crafting projects to make automation a reasonable design goal. Without automation, there is no way to improve crafting times, in which case they serve no purpose. They just annoy the player by wasting their time with very little or nothing they can do about it.

Probably my favorite aspect of this is in Space Engineers, where manufacturing parts takes a long time but is very automated, this gives you incentive to, while the parts are being made, go find more resources instead. It works well I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Space Engineers is more or less built around that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

So if I adored this game, I'll like Space Engineers? I'm wary of early access games but it's on sale on Steam right now, so

Space engineers has no story, is the thing, or really that much gameplay goals? You can mod it a bunch to add more things to encounter but it has no plot at all. It also doesn't really have the art direction of this game, it looks very nice but it's very dependent on you building cool looking stuff with what it gives you, and because everything is built out of blocks, the art style varies dramatically based on the style of the person who built the object you are looking at.

Specifically if you like the idea of building and driving around a large vehicle you will probably like space engineers, but if you liked subnautica for other reasons then space engineers is an entirely different game. The two aren't really related much at all outside of that one thing, space engineers is more or less 100% about building and driving around large vehicles and putting useful things on them like automating parts of their functionality and making them resistant to battle damage. You can also mod it a lot to add quite a lot of stuff, including a few scenarios for you to play through if you do want a more plot driven experience.

Here's a playthrough of a scenario, though the game's undergone a major graphical rework since this so it now looks a lot more cinematic and also wheeled vehicles work much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD7YOubN2k4&list=PLTlpO3Ief-8EVnVdI6uBNwWpqzCTaEcc-

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 25, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Empyrion has more environment content to explore but I find it unspeakably tedious to play and also it doesn't really appear to involve much vehicle design because most of the functions you would have to build systems for in space engineers it just automates for you. Except weirdly for the resource collection, distribution, and refinement systems which it doesn't automate at all, putting it in this weird area where collecting stuff is extremely grindy while also there is not very much functional for you to build.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cubes store "5 kilotons of TNT" worth of energy.

https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Ion_Cube_(Subnautica)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that from the game? I can just about parse it but I haven't ever found anything like that when I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Khanstant posted:

fwiw worth, aside from was distance santa translates into, i got your shitck and thought it was cute

Santa is north, cowboy is west, I think.