Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I've posted it before, but this is a good playthrough and technically canon since they included all of the characters in the base game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA

This is absolutely hilarious.

Getting the urge for underwater exploration again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

wolrah posted:

It's good and I recommend watching the series. Also if you like that sort of thing and enjoy Half-Life, check out "Freeman's Mind". Basically the same idea. There's a Freeman's Mind 2 but it's incomplete and has been on hold for a few months.

Yeah I am definitely going to check out his other stuff.
I could swear the voice of the helpline sounds like McChris/Hesh though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

While I am enjoying it, I see that it is as buggy as it ever was.
Yesterday I ran into the same bug I hit like a year ago, in the prawn bay when you go under the water, through the pipes I hit an area where it looks like I can get some air. And it clips me through the ceiling, so I am now between the walls.
The cheat warpforward 10 got me out of it this time. Last time I think I had to go back an hour to my last save.

Just now I finally got my prawn suit built. I load it into the moonpool bay and as I am trying to access the upgrade menu, I just simply get into the suit and it drops me down, through the world and into the jellyshroom caves. Hopefully I can get back up to my base and build a jump upgrade or grapple upgrade and get it back, not sure if the cyclops can get down here.

Still, I do like this game over all. This time I am taking my time to get to big squid lady and just building all the things.
The scanner is a new one for me. Works well finding stuff like quartz, though I did have a helluva time trying to place it connected to my base. It just wouldn't place right.

e: Trying to walk it up this shaft.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 17, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Really Pants posted:

The grapple arm should be easier--everything you need can be found above 500m. Can you leave the Prawn Suit there and go get your Seamoth to craft it?

I did end up going up and building the grapple, luckily I had the materials.
Now I am in the process of making a river base which I will just leave a 2nd prawn suit for mining, just need to find some nickel.
Which I still haven't seen any of. I assume its all under that corrosive fog.
The main reason I am building a river base.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Everything seems to respawn, even those titanium chunks the sharky things play with. They never used to.

I just 'finished' my game though I havent built the final items yet.
Though I had to do some cheating at the end with those warp gates. I play on a laptop thats not brand new so the gates were really loving with me. Like dropping me through the world, and then having to reload which takes over 5 mins to do. And then it would just do it again.
I'll probably just leave it as it is and just build bases in all the biomes. Maybe even one on the 2nd island.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Does Below Zero play on the same engine?
I'm pretty much at minimal specs for Subnautica on my laptop, though it runs fairly well except for a few things like the portals.
Just wondering if the new one just as well or will it just kill my vid card?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Larry Niven had a small version, I think he even called it a pond in the Integral Trees/Smoke Ring books.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Just got a new computer a week or so ago, and Subnautica was the first game I barreled through because I could finally play it on a non potato machine.
Found a good spot for a base near the Sea Treaders Lost River entrance this time.
Normally I just set up by the entrance to the Jelly Shrooms.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

On my last run I never even built a nuclear reactor. I found the bio reactor and a double stack of fish breeding tank to be more than sufficient.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Bushmaori posted:

Have there been any PC performance patches for Subnautica in the last year anyone know?

There was this one in Nov, though I can't tell you how much of an improvement it was as I had moved to a new PC at that time.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/264710/announcements/detail/1617282814901122773

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So I'm pretty far in the game right now. Just cleaned out the Vaccine Research Facility and I'm kinda stuck. my good old Seamoth can't get any further, but I need nickel to make depth upgrades to get the Cyclops and Prawn Suit upgraded and oops, can't find any nickel in the Lost River so far. Also can't seem to find the crucial Prawn Suit upgrades like the grapple hook or drill arm. My main problem is that anything I want to check out in the Blood Weed Forests seems to be defended by 1 or more Warpers. Like those fucks are everywhere down there. I guess my luck in not having Reapers spawn anywhere they'd actually be a problem (I haven't seen either of the ones that are supposed to defend the Aurora) balanced out. How do I deal with those drat things because they always freak me out.

I got my first nickle by taking the Seamoth as low as it could go in the Lost RIver and then diving down to find nickle around the green mist areas, and higher on those walls.

For the Prawn suit arms, you just need to search out more wrecks. I think I got them at the larger ones like the submerged islands. Though frankly I just followed youtube vids.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Zesty posted:

Most definitely not complete enough. Right now it’s just proof that the foundation is there.

If you know you’re going to want it though, the price will rise when it’s almost complete. Might as well get it cheaper while supporting development.

I got it last year and played a couple hours just to get an idea of the direction they’re going. I’m optimistic but willing to wait for 1.0 at this point before opening again.

I've been waiting and waiting for a sale, but haven't seen one yet. Except for May EGS had a $10 price on it.
But since i'd rather go Steam and you are right about the price going up, i'm thinking of getting it soon.
Though, i'll likely wait until its done to play.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Everything I've watched about Below Zero is someone following the storyline.
Can you just ignore it like in Subnautica and just go build bases for no reason other than exploration?
I do hear that it is smaller.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Can't wait for Below Zero to be structured.
I've been playing for awhile and have no idea what I am supposed to be doing.
I have had no story progression since the start even though I have found multiple things like a mine, a sunken space ship and an underground base that I cant get in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Bought Below Zero on an impulse but lol the steam forums seem to hate it. nothing but complaints about lack of biomes, the sea truck sucking, the storyline being inscrutable, things being too deep, the game not being deep enough even if some items are too deep, etc etc.

I bought and enjoyed the first one in EA so hopefully that's just how the forums are and it isn't as bad as they imply

While I can say that all of those points are accurate, I am still enjoying it.
Just bought it a few days ago also and i've felt a little lost here and there.
But as a big fan of Subnautica, I would say this is a decent continuation of it.
Knowing that the story is going to be reworked is a good thing.
The Seatruck is not even comparable to the Seamoth and the Snowcat is near useless as the area you can use it in, you are just banging off the walls constantly.

But its still a decent game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

GamingHyena posted:

Wait, you can autolevel the cyclops?? How?

You can make the Cyclops NOT level??
I don't think mine ever was not level.
Or maybe i just controlled it with ascend/descend, i dunno.

With the Seatruck, i think the whole fabricator module was useless, they could have just added into the storage module, or just made the main cabin slightly longer and stuck it on the back wall.
It seemed forced and useless.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 23, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Down in the mines and found these guys doing some weird crabby ritual, which isn't all that weird I guess.

If I didn't turn around again to find it getting larger.

Regarding the Mine
FYI I was able to navigate my Seatruck and 1 storage module into the vents in front of the ramp to rocket island.
With some bumps and scrapes it leads down to the mine

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Can you attach multiple storage modules to it? Seems like maybe dropping a fabricator attachment and storage one might be a decent moveable base for manufacturing food and airing up while leaving it hanging outside caves and stuff. Multiple ones would be good cus they have poo poo locker slots for their size

This is what I did for moving a lot of material down below, had 2 storage and 1 prawn attachment. It was slow, but adding the fabricator module onto that and it was so horribly slow that way.
Wonder how many modules to bring it to a halt?

Also in the new large rectangular room, steps leading out to other rooms or a hatch do not work.
Its like they have an invisible wall in front of them.
Though if you run first it gets you through.

I do like the way the containment fits in, though it does take a lot of space.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Section Z posted:

Huh. No planters in the new alien containment? That's lame.

Does it at least have a higher population cap than an individual Multipurpose room version? Casual google has only turned up old news "Pop count is ten" just like the base game.

Given how many windows I crammed into my MP pillar bases, I do like that they added glass roof options though.

It only uses the same materials as the standard size so it only goes up to 10, once I realized that I put a standard double stack of rooms off to the side with 2 containments.
With the scanners higher power usage I tend to use 2 bio reactors where I don't have sunlight so need as many fish as I can get when scanning.

As it is now, just having a scanner room built but not working almost loses power with just a bio reactor running. Before I added a second on my main base I would just hit it with Q to partially unbuild it when I left for a bit.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Arcturas posted:

I just realized you can scan for wrecks and data boxes and this is a game changer.

I find the data box scanning quite frustrating in both Subnauticas. After you make your way all the way over to it, it just disappears because you already had that info.
I'm assuming that, because they disappear on me constantly.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Concerning Below Zero from earlier today

"The next update will be this month, and nothing new storywise will be in it. Which means your save will be fine for this update.

https://snexpansion.unknownworlds.com/changes-and-checkins to see there're actively working on Below Zero, in case you have any doubt.

Check the Favro, EA8 (Feb 2020) in the project roadmap also. EA8 means it's the eighth update.

And please, use the search bar next time."

So a new update is coming soon, but nothing big enough to warrant a fresh save file.
But any progress is welcome.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

With all the power expertise I have a goofy question: Do the Seamoth lights trigger the Solar panels?

I had a scanner room with a solar panel around ~190m and at one point I got there to find it unpowered, hopped into the Seamoth and turned the headlights on, at that moment the pop up told me my base had power. It might have been a ridiculous coincidence, but does 'solar' work that way at all?

I just happened to be scoping out the big tree for a base setup, so tested it. 1 panel, Seamoth lights in its face, power sitting at 0/75.
At a depth of 887, i think.

And you thought you discovered infinite energy. :D

Its possible they could have missed that one though, so I had to try.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 13, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

New Below Zero update

https://steamcommunity.com/games/848450/announcements/detail/1706237789329936882?snr=1_41_4__42

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Did they ever actually add any additional voice acting or interactivity beyond the original 'hey hoped you like the early access demo' part of getting to launching a rocket, or is it all, beyond that, just 'non-interactive stuff you can find in the world' levels of story? I last played in, like...ah, the end of march, last year.

There are at least 3 different voice actors with various interactions maybe one more.
Not sure what changes they will make to that with the new story.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And technically you need a Cyclops to finish the escape rocket, since one of the final parts is a Cyclops mod.

Well technically, but I bet most people just build the escape rocket once and then just load up a save from before launching and just go back to doing business as usual.
This could easily be avoided by watching someones LP of the ending.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

When you finish the game you can put items and a note in a capsule, if I recall a bunch from real early access was then added to the game or its dynamic or something I forget.
But any time capsules found are from previous players.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Below Zero got a big update

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/below-zero-frostbite-update/?k=8

Experience the beginning of an all-new story and intro cinematic
Explore the extensively reworked Glacial Basin
Interact with the new cold mechanics and avoid hypothermia
Discover new Snowball interactions with the Snow Stalkers
Encounter escalating weather conditions
Uncover further improvements and polish to existing biomes
Enjoy crisper, and more clear in-game text

Which may be exactly what I need for this funk i'm in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

FYI its still bug ridden.
The new pod you crash in, I noticed that the fire wasn't animated.
I walked around it and saw that it was just a static sprite.
Also, I later fell through the world and had to reload a save from 30m before.

I'm still playing it though, new stuff is new stuff.
I haven't heard any interaction between the sisters yet.
I kinda liked the players voice.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 1, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The Base Control Room is new in BZ isn't it?
I don't remember it before.

Also, just like in my last play of Below Zero, I think i've broken the story again.
Last time in my ever exploring fashion, I think I found things before I should have and could never progress.
I think I have managed to do it again.

Also, when you died previously, did you drop all your items on the ground?
Maybe I never found the stuff before or maybe its new.
But I died right at the docks this time trying to get in my truck.
And when I swam back, I saw all this ore just rolling down to a gully.

I have still found like 6 PDAs that consist solely of TBD as text.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 1, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The forums are filled with people saying the story is now worse than it was before for Below Zero.
I understand it is early access but poo poo, you don't just rip out most of what story you had and leave people hanging without any direction.

I actually got info to send me to that place Krazyface found on the iceberg.
But it consisted of "Cryptic directions to greenhouse" but had no actual directions, had to look it up on the wiki.
But after reading up, you can't actually get in until an interaction you need to have with a prawn suit on the glacier base with the rocket, that is seemingly non functional now.

While I dont recommend 'not' playing the new update, dont come in expecting a functioning game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So you can build 2 layer big room which allows 2 layer containment. Sadly the containment feels a little too 'clean' without the planter bottom. And its bigger so feels a little more empty. Also, the glass top doesnt really fit well with the containment, but its all new so maybe thats still coming.

I do like being able to color and name the base now through the control room.

Beware the control room has a joystick that lets you use your wasd to move the whole base around in a 3d projection, but doesnt indicate what key to get out of it.
I just started hitting every key out of frustration and got out. Maybe its the tool alt key?
You can also click on a room to disable it in that projection, though the only room you'd need to do that with is the scanner since it has a constant power draw.
But thats why you always have a bio reactor running.

e: it seems if you can drive into the moonpool with a extended truck, it yanks off the cab and will reconnect you on re-entry.
I truthfully though it would just fling me off into the distance and saved before trying.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 2, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Finally unlocked all the truckster modules I could find.

Sadly while I scanned 3 Planter fragments and unlocked it, it doesnt show up on the Mobile Vehicle Bay to be crafted.
About 75 feet long and drives like poo poo with all modules attached and Truck upgrades installed.

Fabricator
Storage
Aquarium (only holds 16 fish?)
Sleeper (with picture frame and jukebox)
Docking

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

And you really don't even need to get near them now with that sulfuric area that is just jam packed with lithium, sulfur and quartz.
I think lithium is even more abundant now than lead. Lead is the only thing I am constantly out of now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They posted an update about Below Zero, it mostly just talks about the last update and how Covid is loving them up as much as us.
But while they will continue to work on it, it will likely be awhile before any voice gets recorded.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

New Below Zero Update.
Looks mostly minor.
But any improvements/advancements are good.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/below-zero-salad-days-update/?k=8

here is the video from that page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHybGKKza0

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

If you’re talking about the seatruck depth modules, you unlock those automatically as soon as you build the seatruck.

I thought you had to find it.
Though maybe that was back when your sis was sending drops.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Is this worth playing now you think? I played Subnautica earlier this year or late last when it was on Gamespass and I really loved it. By then it was basically bug free and the story was in-place and I really loved the experience start to finish. Beating Outerwilds is leaving me with an exploration/vastness itch. Am I going to spoil the magic by poking around now or is this already a different experience and/or that "magic" was something you only really get to have once so no harm no foul here?

I would personally give it a wait still until they do some kind of story update.
It was still kinda broken last time I tried and I dont think this update fixed any of that unless someone else knows otherwise.

e: oh a new page and it was kind of answered. nm.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Tries to entice people to buy things" is a really weird complaint to level at a store, since that's kind of their entire purpose.

The store recommendations got a lot better after I figured out how to blacklist Anime tags, though for some reason it will still periodically include those games in a recommendation queue, with them greyed out and a note that it's on my blacklist. Which... great, okay, you've identified it's a genre I'm not interested in, maybe take that off the list? My biggest complaint with that whole system is that it's very obtuse to figure out how to blacklist tags, and it's very limited in terms of what preferences you can set. It's all cool and futuristic for a recommendation algorithm to dynamically learn what I like to play, but it would be nice to be able to give some direct input as well.

Is it possible to blacklist pixel art games? Because that would wipe out like 60% of the junk games to wade through when I am shopping.

On Subnautica side, I just played a little since the Salad update and there is still a ton of 'temp' descriptions.
So some progress but still a ton to go.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've tried naming it other things, but it always comes back to this.

e: you know the only good thing about the truck over the seamoth is that in the truck when I just jump out, i dont take 1/3 damage from it slamming me in my rear end.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The best part about Neebs and Appsros Subnautica Lets Play is that they actually got some audio work in the game from that series.

Open link to current time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutKaaVZ-Lc&t=1900s