Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zerilan posted:

Yeah. I played both subnautica and a bit of RE2 today (blind-ish run since i never really got to playing it either) and found subnautica way more unnerving.

So far I've managed to get to pods 3 and 17, get the habitat builder, and make a tiny 4 room base at the edge of the kelp forest so I can put stuff in lockers. Might install the easycraft mod to make the inventory management a little smoother once I'm crafting more.

As you're not opposed to using mods, I'll also suggest these:

AutosortLockers
BetterScannerBlips
DataBoxScannerFix
LargeDepositsFix
MoonpoolVehicleRepair
MoreQuickSlots
SnapBuilder

They pretty much all do what their name indicates and either fix things or - like easycraft - make the game less tedious. EasyCraft is available for BZ as well, thank god. AutosortLockers isn't though, which is a shame.

And finally, SubnauticaMap adds an in-game map that gets revealed as you explore.

I would basically recommend using all these mods, even on a first playthrough. (Except the map. Keep that for the 2nd time.) I'm playing BZ now and doing exactly that. And I'm probably going to install the map mod right before the end to see if I missed anything.

(There's also CustomizedStorage, which is great, but also has the possibility of making the game too easy. Still, it's all customizable so you're in control.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tom Tucker posted:

Hot take - don’t use quality of life mods. Tons of the enjoyment is in organizing resources and remembering to bring beacons and not knowing where something is. It creates stories and makes it feel real

Having all your items sorted for you automatically sounds dumb as hell. Why not just use console commands. Making a big base and getting ingredients ready then hull integrity falls and oh poo poo where did I leave my repair tool is the point of the game.

And like a map? I mean cmon. A map would straight up ruin this game. Draw one yourself with a ruler and some colored pencils.

I'm probably not going to convince you, but I love the mods I'm using. So here's what each of them does and why I like them:

Easycraft: this pulls ingredients for anything you need to craft from nearby inventories. You still need to have the resources nearby, it just saves you a ton of pointless 10-seconds back and forth trips from your storage room to the fabricator or to where you're building a new base room or whatever. Easily my #1 mod, because having to walk into my storage, to get the 1 copper I forgot for the 100th copper wire I need to make, is not my idea of fun or challenge.

AutosortLockers: gives you an 'input' locker, and a filtered 'storage' locker. (Both of which are more expensive than the standard ones. They are a bit larger than the standard too though, so eh, probably balances out.) Everything you dump into the input locker gets sorted into your storage lockers, and you can put filters on your storage lockers to restrict what gets sorted in them. Again, you still need to build the lockers, you still need to organize them, you still need to gather the resources, it just saves you manually putting the resources into the correct ones. And as a massive bonus, it gives you about a hundred colors for your lockers to choose from. That alone increases my organizing enjoyment tenfold.

BetterScannerBlips: makes the scanner blips bigger and smaller depending on distance, and adds a key for turning them on or off. Small QoL thing that makes going out for resources a little bit nicer.

DataBoxScannerFix & LargeDepositsFix: removes scanner blips for already opened and for depleted large ore deposits. These are just bugfixes because you're never going to convince me that keeping scanner blips active for things that are no longer there, is a good thing.

MoonpoolVehicleRepair: about the only difference this makes is that when you bang the seamoth on entering your base, the scratches get taken off.

MoreQuickSlots: I really don't see why having to open my inventory and selecting a different tool for a quickslot item a few hundred times per playthrough would be more challenging than annoying. And you still need to have the tools in your inventory, it's not going to magically summon a laser cutter or a beacon if you forgot to take one or if you run out. (I also strongly suspect that only having 5 slots by default is because they only had about 5 tools in early development and never bothered to increase the amount of slots.)

SnapBuilder: if you can't appreciate having all your lockers hanging perfectly centered and at the exact same height on your walls, you must be some kind of deviant.

So to summarize: sure there's enjoyment in organizing. I just prefer to organize the automation instead of having to manually put a thing into another thing, and repeat that a thousand times. It also doesn't have anything to do with forgetting beacons. And when the hull integrity fails I just use my repair tool, just like you. The only difference is that mine is always in slot 5.

The point of the game, for me, is exploring the deep sea, and building cool bases and big gently caress-off submarines. Not doing the pointless busywork of manually putting a copper into the right locker and then getting it back 10 minutes later.

Restrictive and repetitive manual inventory management has been in gaming for decades, and it's time for it to go. It's not challenging, it's not fun, it's just annoying and takes away from what your actual game should be about. If your game becomes empty when you remove it, frankly, your game sucks.

I do agree about the map. Don't use it unless you've finished the game at least once. But also, do replay the game at least once with it, because you've probably missed something cool during your first playthrough and the map will show you.

uXs fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 18, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Ebola Dog posted:

I've not done much base building in below zero yet but I never really used foundations in subnautica because of how fiddly they were. I generally prefer how the base modules look when directly on the sea floor rather than foundations and it avoids clipping issues etc. Just use more bulkheads and reinforcements!

I only use foundations to put my external growbeds on. (And now as a yard for parking my seatruck modules.)

Stabbing every plant type you come across to check if you can grow them yourself and then also doing just that, is amazingly useful btw. And it looks cool as hell.

It does make the bottom of your base look a bit ugly with the hundreds of extra legs.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Laughing Zealot posted:

I never quite got why there's no Alterra personal in the area any more, let alone why they seemed to have hauled rear end leaving so much stuff behind.

Seems pretty obvious to me that they all died in seaglider, seatrucking, and snowfox accidents.

Or maybe they all froze to death since there was only a single winter coat on the entire planet.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OgNar posted:

You simply need to pin a recipe to your hud

Holy crap

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh god, I googled a video for this and additionally learned that you can apparently build double-wide alien containments in large rooms.
Goddamn, I wish I'd picked up on this sooner.

My next playthrough is essentially just going to be 70% homebuilding

Something I also never thought of is that you can breed sea monkeys and then just release them outside your base since they don't despawn unless killed.
Someone should try this in combination with the HUD-recipe trick for resource-gathering.

Holy crap!

I was already planning to build a showroom for all my beds, I wish I had known about this.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Section Z posted:

So after confirming I have scanned them already.

Am I missing something or do ribbon plants not show up as an option on the mineral scanner or scan room (one right by the escape pod too)? They can list table coral, at least. But I'm out of battery parts and still didn't get around to unlocking alien containment or exterior planters.

Yeah they're pretty much just plants.

There's quite a lot of them and they regrow/respawn.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ending spoilers:

Am I supposed to actually do something with the injector thing near the frozen leviathan? I left the planet with Alan, but I can't but feel I've missed something with the Khaara storyline. Am I done or should I keep looking?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Oasx posted:

In the audio logs Sam reveals that she made a cure for the virus and hid it, in her room (I think) you find a map that shows you where the various areas are where only the spy pengling can go, one of them is marked. Take the spy penglin there and send it in to retrieve the cure, and then use the cure on the injectior.

Wow. Kinda amazing how you can basically skip one half of the ending completely and you'd never even know.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Oasx posted:

I disagree, I didn’t find Maida to be particularly interesting. Sam’s story actually felt personal, the game could have done a better job at urging you along and reminding the player about deploying the cure, but that is something they could probably still fix.

Ending spoilers:

I 'finished' the game by following Alan to his gaff, then reloaded the save because I wanted to build a showroom for all the beds I'd collected, and also because I still wanted to find the blueprint for the propulsion cannon, dammit. After doing that and generally mucking about for a few hours, I suddenly realized 'hey wait a minute, wasn't there a huge-rear end frozen monster in the ice somewhere and a suspiciously empty vaccine delivery machine? I wonder if I could do something with that?

So yeah, the game does a REALLY bad job of making you finish 1 of the 2 storylines.

I guess this wouldn't happen if you would diligently drive your mecha-penguin into every single hole you find, but the vaccine cave must've been the single one I skipped for some reason. It doesn't help that, apart from just this one and the other one with a PDA, most of the holes are just filled with loving quartz and just feel like a 'fun' but ultimately useless mechanic.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Celebrity Ghost posted:

That being said, the caves made me wish the sub had a Pathfinder upgrade, or maybe the seaglide's little local map. I definitely would not have found Grandma's deep sea cottage if I hadn't looked it up; I thought I had thoroughly explored those caves and then poof, a tunnel I somehow never went down. Then again I never found the frozen leviathan without help, so maybe I just suck at exploring caves.

Yeah the sonar from the original is sorely missing.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

The seatruck was a little disappointing, only because I found I didn't really need any of the cabs. I carted the storage and prawn carrier around for a while, mostly to bring all my tools/suits with me everywhere, but ultimately all that did was save me a trip to my base if I was going from deep caves to the surface in one trip. My hot take, though, is I like the concept and would like to try a version of Subnautica where you get the truck and fabricator earlier, but there's no base building tool (and obviously make the cabs bigger/decoratable/etc). Let me live in a mobile home in a bigger ocean.

I think the Seatruck is amazing and way, way better than the Seamoth or Cyclops.

It fixes the biggest issue I had with the Cyclops, where you had to choose between taking a Seamoth or a Prawn with you. Take the Seamoth and you can't go deep enough or dig the ore piles, and take the Prawn and it will take you ages to get back to base. The Seatruck can just haul the Prawn and when you need to quickly go somewhere you can dump the modules for a quick second and zoom off to wherever you want to be.

That said, it could use some improvement: the storage module is too small, as is the storage in the fabricator module. The sleep and aquarium modules are pretty useless (the game sorely needs fish breeding in normal aquariums), and the teleporter is too expensive and would require 2-way teleporting to be actually useful.

A sonar module would've been awesome, but probably overpowered.

I did and do love the Cyclops, but the Seatruck is just better because it's a (slightly smaller) Cyclops and Seamoth in 1.

(And why didn't they make a farming module?)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pollyanna posted:

You figured it out before I did, at least :(

I have one major center base and some outposts with moonpools and scanners. I commute back and forth a lot. It's kind of unfun, actually.

Also, you probably picked up a map of the area. It's extremely important that you get to Omega as soon as you're able.

Outpost with moonpools?? That seems like a huge waste of resources.

In the first game I usually make a second moonpool where everybody and their dog builds a second base, but that's it.

In the second game I have 1 main base and no second base.

I do have a bunch of scanner outposts, but they just have a scanner and some kind of power generation, that's all.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

coolusername posted:

How do you use scanner rooms? I built one but I'm not.. exactly sure how to make it work, to be honest, and I do need help because I'm so bad at finding fragments that I don't have a grav trap unlocked but do have a nuclear reactor recipe because I'm kinda randomly stumbling on things.

The basics: build scanner, give it power, select thing to scan for, wait until blips appear on the map.

It has an integrated fabricator to make its own upgrades, of which the HUD chip is the most important one. Unfortunately that requires magnetite, which can be a pain to find. Without the HUD chip you'll have to watch the 3D map for blips, and then see what direction and distance they are from your scanner room, and then go looking in that general area.

With the HUD chip you can just swim around and the scanner will stream the information to your HUD, which makes it about a billion times easier to use.

There's also range and speed upgrades. I mostly go for 2 of each, unless I really really want the extra range. (Range upgrade also needs magnetite which makes them expensive. #1 goal for scanners at the start = find more magnetite.)

The last upgrade are the cameras. You get them by default in SN, in BZ you need to make them manually. I prefer the BZ system because they are useless. Don't make them. (I'd even go as far to, in SN vanilla, to go take them out and throw them in the trash.)

More generally, it's a good idea to make a scanner room in several places: your base, and at other interesting places. You can either make a new one each time, or demolish & rebuild. I mostly make new ones because I sometimes return to the existing ones and because the config can be slightly different. (Mostly because of different power needs.)

It can be a good idea to take the upgrades with you however, especially because the range upgrades can be precious.

Also, WARNING! If you demolish your scanner room with the upgrades still in there, you will LOSE THE UPGRADES.

Finally: the scanner room (at least in Subnautica, I'm less sure about BZ), can only detect items when the game has loaded in enough of the area. So you may need to have a swim around your scanner first, to force the game to load in the surrounding area, before your scanner will work properly. This will reset each time your game loads.

uXs fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 21, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tsar Mikey posted:

Thanks to the goon that posted that list of QoL mods a few days ago. I only installed the SnapBuilder mod, but it's calmed my nerves significantly. My lockers not lining up caused me way more anxiety than anything else in either of these games.

Wait until you start making exterior growbeds.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
You know what I like the least about Below Zero? How it's literally less deep than Subnautica.

In Subnautica you need to keep going deeper and deeper. You start by barely making 100m before having to go back up for air, and increase your maximum depth by getting better air tanks, depth upgrades for your seamoth, getting a Cyclops and its upgrades, and finally a goddamn robot suit to go deeper than you could ever imagine when you were just starting out.

That is something that is sorely missed in Below Zero, the sensation of going crazy deep.

Really hoping that if they ever make a new game, they go back to that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Rynoto posted:

I was curious and tried to put a pengling into the bioreactor.

They are not good fuel.

I wonder if you can put Sea Monkey eggs in there.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

That's not what you did anyway? Curious if you took the truck all the way into final biome, I would assume the shock module recharge would to be slow to keep them off you in the last room. I ditched my truck as soon as I go into the purple crystal biome.

The tactic is to just wait until they grab you, then zap them. You get a damaged a little bit, but if you just repair when you get to 50% or whatever, there's 0 chance of dying.

uXs fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 21, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Section Z posted:

I still can't decide which "upgrade" is more passive aggressive.

That headlamp, or replacing the ultra glide fins with High capacity size 90 second air tank that consumes 5 air a second to gain JUST as much extra speed as the penalty for wearing an air tank in the first place or whatever math the wiki listed.

I am personally more annoyed with the removal of ultra glide fins, considering I loved those things in the first game. But the fact a head lamp of all things also demands an ion battery to craft (according to the wiki) is it's own special brand of pettiness.

I tried the headlamp once for exploring a wreck, but it was fairly deep and removing the rebreather is such a huge penalty that I switched back almost straight away. Would've been nice if they could've balanced them better, or if they made the headlamp an upgrade for the rebreather. (Or put it in the place of the chip or the compass maybe.) Because as it is now, it's not really a choice. And yeah, an ion battery to craft one is ridiculous.

Agreed about the ultra glide fins. I preferred those in the original for the speed, over the charging fins. But I know from watching streams that other people were the opposite and preferred the chargers. Pity that they removed something that gave you an actual choice.

Oh well, at least there is still 1 vestimentary choice you have to make.

But it would've been nice if they had spent a bit more time in tools & equipment alternatives instead of making 10 different types of beds.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Wow I never realized that the aquarium module actually actively does what it says in the description.

That makes it hugely more useful and now I wish I had dragged it around more.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bad Munki posted:

This would be awesome, and hey, maybe make it provide ping functionality.

Someone hire this man as the ideas guy.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

drat, I was excited to use the hoverbike but the controls feel fantastically bad to use. In particular how weird the turning is, where it only consistently turns with the mouse while you're holding W and the rest of the time you get a weird half-mouselook that only turns the vehicle once you look far enough to the side. And why can't it go in the water? The game is 90% water.

Unless there's some other part of the game I haven't encountered yet where it's relevant, the entire thing only seems to exist for 1 part.

The only part where the hoverbike is actually useful is when you can use it to jump between some of the islands in front of the main land. Some of them aren't accessible any other way I'm pretty sure.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pollyanna posted:

Does anyone else get slightly nervous when they think about re-doing their own base? There's a lot of different ways to set this drat thing up and I have absolutely no idea where to start.

You definitely need a room for power, and a room for growing food. But I'm a little daunted by all the other things you can make.

Anybody got base designs I can copy? :haw:

I have a front yard made out of foundation with a bunch of growbeds and space to park seatruck modules.

Then I start with a multipurpose room that has machines like the fabricator, mod station, trash can, rechargers, ... and a bunch of lockers with food, water, gear, ... all the important stuff you need all the time. It has a hatch to get in, and then branches out to my farming room (just a multipurpose room), the moonpool, and a large room for all my storage.

I put the water room below this main room.

Then the other rooms that I don't need as frequently are accessible through that first set. I ended up with:
-large room with bedroom, kitchen/living room, and bathroom
-3 large rooms with aquariums (I went a bit mad)
-large showroom with all the different beds (same)
-scanner room
-control room
-observation room
-multipurpose room with bioreactor (my main power is a bunch of solar panels, if you have like 5 of them you almost never have to add fuel to the reactor)

I try to avoid ladders because I don't like them, but there are still a few.

I reinforced almost every wall that has machines or lockers on it, and then replaced almost every other wall with windows. Plus there's a bunch of extra hatches for quicker access to whatever.

Obviously didn't start out as big it ended, but the main principle is always main room => important rooms => less important rooms. Then expand and redesign and redecorate as you go on.

Section Z posted:

I'd say the former given how often the cause of such things busting cheevos is the game save breaking unless you console your way past bugs :v:

It is a little like coding in declaring 'If bugs make you so mad why don't you make a game then' in pouty huff.

Weird how opening the console disables achievements, but I can add all the mods I want and they still work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Khanstant posted:

Huh. I have no more breadcrumbs in Below Zero. I also built 3 new seatruck modules just to see and oh man they really slow me down, not really sure any of them are worth lugging around, gonna leave em at the base next trip home. At least fabricator comes with storage, Aquarium would be fun for Wet-Snowpiercer Cosplay but otherwise a worse storage module unless you're on some big fishing quest for your home aquariums I guess? It also spawned with a dead boomerang that still swims around in the tank, go figure.

The aquarium literally does what it says in the description: it actively collects fish out of the environment. So as you're hauling it around, it just grabs fish out of the ocean for you to eat.

But I guess you do need to either have a fabricator module as well, or manually drop them in the sea again so you can stab them with your cooking knife.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone want to give me some advice on original subnautica? I got it for free with the stat at home promotion.

I've gotten inside the captains quarters, have blueprint for prawn suit, and explored the area around the degasi base that's at 300m or so.

I just don't know what to do. I am lugging a scanning station around and dropping it at the edge of various dropoffs and trying to scan for fragments. I'm not finding much for the cyclops. I haven't bothered making the prawn suit since I know it just walks around and that seems super tedious without a plan. I have no radio signals to explore or anything , the breadcrumbs have totally stopped. I need rubies and a few other things for the prawn suit and the next set of upgrades and have no idea where they are.

I guess one question is how much to worry about big enemy beasts? Obviously the one by the aurora I'm going nowhere near, but what about the others?

If you have gotten the very obvious timed event, you should have fairly obvious goals with specific depth requirements. Check your logs?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’m far enough into BZ having found no evidence of its existence that I assumed it was just removed. Is the stasis rifle also still in? I haven’t found anything for it either, and wish I had since it’s the only way I know how to scan leviathans

I scanned it by repeatedly dying.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

How do you kill them? Prawn drill arms and frequent repairs?

I didn't bother. You get a free shock module that gets rid of them instantly. If you're quick enough they do no damage at all. So it's not worth the effort imho.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yinlock posted:

imo the land stuff COULD have worked if there was any effort put into it besides none at all

not the snowfox though, that thing is unsalvageable

e: also I found the antidote completely by accident by just stumbling upon the spot and sending in the ol robo penguin, I didn't even know it was A Thing because I never visited the zero lab, so robin going "OH THIS MUST BE SAM'S" was weird as hell :v:

I think the game could fairly easily be improved by making it a bit more linear.

As it stands, you can easily skip half the game. It's possible to finish without finding the antidote, or even seeing the frozen leviathan. In a far bigger game with tons of side quests it can be ok to skip a few, but this game only has 2 storylines and the Sam story is why you are there in the first place, so this makes no sense.

You don't even have to change much, in a pinch this could be done by just not letting the player leave with Al-An, either because the player character doesn't want to leave without finishing what Sam started, or by having Al-An not wanting to leave before cleaning up his mess. Or both.

An even better method could be to make the stories more integrated. Have the player find Al-An in the course of finding out what happened to Sam, then have Al-An assist with that quest, instead of solely focusing on his own resurrection.

You could also have Maggie help out a bit here, maybe she has some more clues about the antidote or about alien body parts.

This would solve a lot of the pacing issues I think.

(I would also have cut a bunch of the above ground areas, and added more and deeper ocean biomes. Or at least make the above ground more interesting with better landmarks. Or have a better and more complete map. You wouldn't even need a fully automatic and complete map, just something that encompasses the entire area instead of just half of it, and a pointer with the PC remarking "I think I'm somewhere in this area" would be a massive help.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pollyanna posted:

That means I gotta go allll the way to my base and back in this slowass truck, something like 2km total. Subnautica more like Schlepnautica.

You know you can detach your modules right.

And if you really can't be bothered, just teleport so you can watch the ending, which is still pretty cool.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Wrr posted:

They're not in the game normally, but if you hit F1 it brings up the console and you can see a bunch of bits of info, one of which is which biome the player is in. If I'm ever really curious thats what I check, otherwise it would just be outside-the-game community naming stuff.

I think opening the console fucks with your 'chevos tho, if you care about that. Disables them until you restart for the original and disables them on that entire playthrough for the second.

I don't think F1 counts as using the console, there's a checkbox somewhere you need to use to actually enable the console, I think it's on F2 or F3 somewhere.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mastershakeman posted:

Thankfully I found a portal inside the lava castle so i think it's literally going to be easier to portal out, seaglide to my original base, tear down the moonbase and vehicle upgrade thing there, then bring it all back through the portal and rebuild it at 1200m down.

the cyclops and prawn upgrade path is completely hosed, i absolutely do not want to have to go back out tediously so i'm just making a second module to upgrade which requires a bunch of titanium i gotta get too

frankly this game really fell apart at 900m but im so close to the end i might as well finish it , even though i'm brute forcing it at this point by moving a scanner room around with a power cell charger since stupid slugs keep draining my cells whenever i load them to move the big boat around

You can upgrade the Cyclops in place, no need to go back up.

Make sure you have a modification station and the right ingredients, then just be quick about it.

And the Prawn doesn't need to have the depth upgrades if it's docked somewhere.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mastershakeman posted:

Only reason I don't straight up uninstall is that my kid is super into the rocket I'd halfway built. So I guess at some point (after wasting an hour trying to jump + grapple out of the lava castle) I have to portal up top, get enameled glass/stalker teeth (don't have any) then deploy a mobile vehicle bay at 1200m down (maybe in a moonpool? Can I do this?) And put in the depth upgrade immediately. All this so that I can take the prawn to the ion cube deposit at the final spot, where it will probably glitch out again but I won't care so long as I can get cubes

Why would you need to do this?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Oh right. Yeah, the Prawn in the alien bases is the buggiest poo poo of all time, it always gets stuck. Most of the time you can get it going again with the grappling arm, and/or the jump jet upgrade.

Pretty sick that the devs just left it like this, it's the worst.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I started building a storage room in a large room with a dividing wall don the center, with large lockers all along both sides of the separating wall. I put signs above each locker with their contents but one side of the wall the signs were fine and the other side the signs got all glitched and unreadable. It sucks and I gave up trying to build a cool base.

You know you can label the lockers themselves right.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Comrade Koba posted:

You can’t label the large standing lockers.

Oh right I overlooked the 'large' part there. I hardly ever use them, I mostly just put everything in wall lockers, except for titanium when I have tons of it. And the reason is pretty much because they can't be labelled.

And yeah, signs suck. I could never place them where I wanted and in the places you can, half the time they're not on the wall but floating in the air in front of them. Eventually I just gave up trying to use them. Shame.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Comrade Koba posted:

I don’t think they’ll ever do a Subnautica 2, much less a third. I think it’s much more likely they’ll subcontract it out, which seems like a far better option than having the same people mess up a third time.

I’m any case, I’d bet actual money the Below Zero storyline is over and done with and won’t be picked back up.

The ending leaves a perfect opening for a new Subnautica on a new planet though. Sure there were a lot of buildings there but nothing says the rest of the planet couldn't be mostly submerged. Plus if the aliens were from another water type world, it would explain why the aliens bothered with, um, 1234b to begin with.

So yeah, Subnautica 2 on alien planet, with a weird-rear end mix of alien and human tech, and give it to people with a better sense of how make game good.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Oasx posted:

I think it’s very likely that they will do a third game, the first game was very successful and it is my impression that Below Zero is also doing well also.
The bugs in the first game, and the minor issues of pacing and storytelling in the new one aren’t really a cause of concern.

They are both truly great games in my opinion.

The protagonist's primary goal is to find out what killed her sister. It's extremely easy to end up just not finishing that storyline and not even notice. I wouldn't call this a minor issue. Below Zero has some great ideas and cool environments, but the story is complete poo poo.

coolusername posted:

Honestly I just want the same game as subnautica, with the various QOL/graphics improvements of BZ, but set on a totally different planet. I love the scary exploration and the "where am I and what the hell is going on?" factor which I felt BZ lacked partially due to the planet already being familiar. I want new alien fish to scan.

This. What I want from a game like this is going deeper and deeper into unfamiliar and hauntingly beautiful biomes and getting ambushed by scary monsters. Not drive around on a scooter and pilot penguin robots - as cute as they are - into clearly marked holes.

uXs fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 7, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Fangz posted:

You don't notice because you get sidetracked on to a primary quest that seems more important and more interesting? I mean the Sam quest is kinda weak, but "protagonists' goals at the end != their goals at the start" is not some kind of inherently bad storytelling thing.

Changing goals can be a good thing, but you can't seriously think it was well handled here. It was dropped halfway because they changed writers, period.

Also, it doesn't even make sense for Al-An to want to gently caress off so quickly. He's scared to tell Robin he caused the plague, so he obviously cares about it. But then he doesn't even bother telling Robin to inject the antidote so the virus is completely eradicated? That's just stupid.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Dyz posted:

In 200ish hours of subnautica I have used a scanner room exactly once.

E: I don't use beacons either. :v:

That's crazy, the scanner room is my #1 target because it's so useful.

And not using beacons, well, I don't even know what to say.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Oasx posted:

I think Below Zero had the best map size, it just cut out all the empty areas. I certainly don’t think it needs to be larger than in the main game.

Nah, it should've been bigger. Especially vertically, but I could've done with some more horizontal space too. I want to explore and build poo poo! But there's not enough to explore and not enough space to justify building extra bases.

I get that maybe going back and forth all the time would become tedious though, but maybe they could introduce some kind of teleporter tech? Hang on...

As for empty areas, the solution here is not to remove them, but to fill them with stuff.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Demiurge4 posted:

I think what Below Zero should have done was have the entire surface covered in ice with just a few access points scattered across the map and have it be a flat ice sheet for the most part.

How would you avoid drowning when you have like 30 seconds of oxygen at the start?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Geodude posted:

It's kinda sad how we were all excited for months to play BZ, comes out then the thread slows to a halt :(

There was a lot of things in BZ that I wish were better polished. As it's been mentioned multiple times; the story was half-baked and didn't breadcrumb well, the above ground sections weren't fun and confusing, and being able to miss out on key plot areas like how I completely missed visiting the frozen leviathan until the game was about to end .

What bummed me out the most about BZ: were the deep end biomes. There was something about the crystal caves that just didn't capture that sense of wonder/danger that the end zones of Subnautica held. Maybe the build-up was better when you had to go through Lost River, then Inactive and then Active Lava Zones. Those biomes held a lot more story ie the labs, the containment, the tree, the artifacts and history, etc. There wasn't really anything interesting in the crystal caves.

Oh well! Happy to have played it, glad I waited for it to come out of early access. But it won't get a second play through from me. Where I've done 3 replays of original Subnautica.

End biomes: Maybe that's because they didn't open up? In SN, you get through some tunnels and arrive in fairly big and impressive areas. While in BZ, everything just gets more cramped. If the last crystal area was a more open area with some bigger features that could've been better. I also felt it didn't help that it went purple crystal => red crystal. Make up something new, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aaaaa! How did I not know about this thread until now?

gently caress I love Subnautica. I hadn't played it until this past May, and I haven't yet played Below Zero, but yeah. Easily one of my top 5 games of all time. Just a beautiful and wondrous experience.

I suck at hardcore, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

poo poo, now I kinda have the urge to try out hardcore.