Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ever tried to store all of that video?

Especially if it has to be streamed to a remote location since having bodycams store footage directly/only on the officer is a great way to ensure every bit of footage that shows cops in a negative light ends up missing or damaged and unrecoverable so I guess we just have to believe the cop because cops would never lie.:cop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cahffetz is human garbage and if the Dems ever manage to retake all 3 branches he deserves a spot high up on the list of people to put in a windowless supermax cell and never hear from them again. It'd still be better than he deserves.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Can Chaffetz and friends get in trouble for undue influence?

In the most technical sense, maybe.

In reality? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

next time they try this poo poo trump is gonna ruby ridge the poo poo outta them isn't he

He'll give them a medal, sell the property to private parties, and then drop the hammer when some rich donors complain about white trash cowboys causing problems for them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

not if they're white, no

instead, he'd probably insist on negotiating with them personally to show off how much of a dealmaker he is

via twitter

Ideally he'd just start calling them a bunch of liberal paid protesters and cause a bunch of white wing infighting among the true believers as a result.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the "higher standard" is not simply taking their word for anything and that all laws apply to them extra-hard

"Your honor I believe that police officers, in their attempts to be like Judge Dredd, should be treated as such and held to the strictest standards. That's why I support the death penalty for any police officer who is found committing a crime while on duty."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I look forward to another of these incidents happening with Trump in office as his response will definitely be rational and not either total agreement with the occupiers or ordering an immediately full scale assault on the compound.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Between the one person not getting a firearms charge and only some getting conspiracy charges I have no idea what to make of this poo poo other than the defendants are either going to win on appeals or end up serving a fraction of their sentences in exchange for not appealing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Especially when one of the jurors was already a fan of that stupid poo poo and oh hey look they ended up convincing everyone else to let a bunch of guilty-as-gently caress people walk. Didn't the people who got off on all charges include the guy who was arrested at Safeway after having stolen and driven a government truck there?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Judge's letter to jury.

All this letter will do is make the jury go "fine gently caress it, not guilty, now let's go home."

"No this guy we caught driving a stolen vehicle didn't break the law" and "this guy reported nation/world wide pointing a loaded rifle at Federal officials and asking for word to open fire didn nothing wrong" is inexcusable.

All of these people need to be made to disappear. Instead a sovcit/Trumpist or two is going to make them in to major heroes to the militia movement.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Already set the date for the retrial, I'm hoping the judge did it because he he wanted no chance of it coming back "innocent" so decided to try them again. At least they will stay in prison for a while longer.

I'd hope so because "hey stay in there until you get a decision" was probably met by prosecutors going "THEYRE GOING TO SAY NOT GUILTY SO THEY CAN GO HOME YOU rear end in a top hat" until the judge realized they'd hosed up.

When you have days of deliberations and no verdict for a guy who is on film pointing a gun at law enforcement, itching to open fire, you might want to consider that there's a sympathetic juror in the group. The biggest issue in these cases, as shown in the original refuge case, is some rear end in a top hat being open to sovcit (or militia) poo poo finding their way on to the jury and ensuring that the actual rule of law is discarded for their dumbass libertarian white power views.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Geoj posted:

Jurors lie about impartiality and then refuse to find the defendant anything other than innocent regardless of the evidence.

Its notoriously hard to prove though.

The only real recourse in those cases is to hope a juror slips a note out to the court saying "hey juror X lied their way on to the jury and has planned to push for verdict X the entire time" or they do what Juror #4 did and claim someone's being difficult, when the 'difficult' person was just refusing to go along with a NG verdict.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

that the snitch was found guilty makes this an absolute certainty

This is the best/worst part. They can't figure out what to do about charges for people on video aiming guns at LEOs but the fed's snitch they had no problem nailing to the wall.

Prosecutors have to be frustrated as gently caress because all this time you have the white wing militias blaring their poo poo in the area to maximize their lovely ideas spreading and tainting your potential jury pool.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that one terrorist sympathizing Wahhabi rear end in a top hat alwaki because he probably radicalized a bunch of the various attackers. while i think its a bad precedent, personally i think the world is better off with one less wahhabi cleric poo poo head. the only unfortunate part was his son was with him when he got voiped.

His son was collateral damage when they took out another target, IIRC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Is Aaron Hernandez innocent? 🤔

Yes, it's literally part of why he killed himself (apparently).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Why. Why would you lie about that? A vehicle that just fled from law enforcement was speeding towards your road block. You're (federal) law enforcement, saying you fired at a vehicle in that situation is going to have pretty much every pro-cop person in the country support your actions. Instead it just adds fuel to the fire for these anti-government conspiracy assholes.

loving moron.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Good. One down, far too many to go.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tafferling posted:

What did he do differently from the other guys? They were all videotaped doing the same things. The only thing that separates him from the others is a drunken admission of culpability.

He didn't have a sovcit jurist in his corner like the others.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The defense is still unambiguously going for nullification. Infuriating.

Why wouldn't they when it's already been successful in a prior case?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can't help but notice that in those tweets we only heard about the two jurors who sounded like they wanted to go with guilty, and not the two complaining about them who are likely sovcit assholes that need to be disappeared.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there any way at all to keep juries from being constantly inundated with jury nullification poo poo?

Kill the anti-government militants or disappear them to gitmo like they'd have done if these people looked middle eastern in the slightest.

The only thing Janet Reno did wrong was that she didn't declare open season on militias.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So what's the chance of the bundys themselves getting convicted?

At this point less than the odds of the feds just dropping the charges , or having the entire clan killed in an unfortunate prison riot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing is, though, that the prosecutor and judge did do quite a bit of pruning on what appeared to be an incredibly lovely jury pool. JJ Macnab talked about a number of "red flags" that came up with various jurors during jury selection...

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/896092406273028097
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/896093078162857984
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/896093874535276544
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/896095796109557760
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/896108361560670208

Either they need to move the trial to another state or just save us some time and drop all the remaining charges because jesus loving christ.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

This may be thread-adjacent but I heard that JJ MacNab is being harassed by leftists on twitter because she also does work investigating leftist extremist groups.
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/900381228083200001

etc.

:smith:

I can't imagine how our country was retarded enough to elect Donald Trump. :thunk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jose posted:

and now they might all get murdered the next time they decide to push their luck lol

I'm sure Donald Trump's administration is definitely going to go WACO on a bunch of white wing terrorists. :rolleyes:

Though given his temper tantrums I do give it slightly higher odds than if a Democrat wins in 2020 since unless America has a brief moment of clarity we'll end up with another meek rear end in a top hat like Obama.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah he posted it today.

This tweet has another link:. https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/901632369462919168

We the jury, that definitely doesn't contain sov-cit and anti-government jurors, find David Fry not guilty of threatening to kidnap a judge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pretty sure I said this would happen back in November after Trump won. All someone has to do is say "hey if you do this your base will love you even more" and it's a done deal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bundy's going to walk, either due to another jury with a sovcit or similar crazy on it, or because Trump will pardon him on a whim.

The lesson here is that Janet Reno Did Nothing Wrong. :shepicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I agree that the trial location should change. Let's move it to San Francisco maybe Philly.

I'd say DC but that just increases the odds of Trump issuing a pardon on a whim.

I'd love to believe he's going to change but I give it a year, tops, before he's back out there doing the same poo poo unless the militias start to view and treat him as a traitor for whatever reason(s).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mavric posted:

Boy I'm really starting to think this whole needing guns to fight off the tyrannical government thing is just code for I want to kill people I don't like.

It wasn't back when it was written because they'd just done exactly that (with help from the French, among other factors).

Today the 2A would do nothing to stop a tyrannical government. Not just because most of the 2A nuts would be actively supporting it since they're a bunch of white wing assholes and there's a significantly higher chance* of any dictatorship in the US being right wing, but because even if there was a tyrannical government that the militia movement stood against en masse their success relies entirely on mass defections from the military (and for the defectors to steal anything not nailed down). Otherwise the militias would just get taken out with one of numerous means of superior firepower. The irony is that the more effective groups would basically be fighting the military the same way ISIS does.

* Anyone who disagrees, look at the Democrats and various insignificant left wing parties (or spoilers like the Greens) and tell me you see politicians competent enough to form any sort of tyrannical government that wouldn't rip itself apart long before then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

“They are grouping together Black Panthers, black nationalists, and Washitaw Nation,” said the former homeland security official. “Imagine lumping together white nationals, white supremacists, militias, neo-Nazis, and calling it ‘white identity extremists.’

IDK who this person is but they're really loving dumb or they were intentionally loving with the reporter. Literally all of those movements are white identity movements. The possibility of a couple irrelevant militia groups not being a bunch of white wing assholes doesn't change that. :psyduck:

There's a bunch of 'shocked' people in that article who are absolutely smart enough to not be shocked by the idea that the FBI under Trump (and Jeff Sessions) is ramping up the racism.

quote:

“To hear there is a new initiative targeting black identity extremists is surprising given that shift,” said Alvaro Bedoya, the executive director of the Center on Privacy & Technology at Georgetown Law.

Like, there's nothing surprising about this at all. Someone at loving Georgetown should not be surprised that after Trump decided to cut white extremist investigations that he'd ramp up the investigations in to black people. gently caress all these 'shocked' assholes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zil posted:

Yeah that is going before the US Supreme Court.

In a 5-4 ruling...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

zegermans posted:

MOre like in a 9-0 ruling the court strikes this down with the 5 conservative justices offering a concurring opinion that reads in its entirety "you're saying the quiet parts too loudly"

You give them too much credit. The LA court's ruling reads like something Gorsuch would write.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

nm posted:

Oh, god, that would attract even worse people than being a lawyer.

It'd also result in such an insanely corrupt justice system that it wouldn't be funny. Take the buddy-buddy corruption of DAs and Cops and toss in courtroom juries? gently caress that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Well when the Bundy clan end up with several times more supporters on their ranch for the next standoff maybe we'll get lucky and one of them will say something Trump takes as a personal offense and he'll order drone strikes against them all.

It's more likely that Trump would give Cliven the presidential medal of freedom, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'd love to know what sort of evidence could be exculpatory for Cliven Bundy considering that the armed standoff on his ranch isn't exactly something that was faked and his non-payment for grazing fees isn't in dispute either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The entire lot of them are going to walk due to a combination of being white wingers and that the Feds are loving idiots.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

BLM LEOs are dicks. Poorly trained and generally disinclined to listen to reason. They were right in this case, but running roughshod over civilians is their general way of doing business.

Tha't literally every LEO at every level. BLM are hardly unique in being poorly trained assholes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So will Trump give the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the Bundys this year or next year?

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm really glad to know that it's now legal to not pay grazing fees, point guns at government agents, and illegally occupy federal land (while wrecking the poo poo out of it and stealing cars).

Only if you're white and right wing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I can't see these idiots not doing something like this again now that they've gotten away with it twice, and next time I have a hard time believing the feds won't just light their asses up at the first semi-plausible excuse.

:lol: if you think the BLM under Trump is going to be allowed to do anything to the Bundys.

We need Janet Reno 2: Militia Purge Boogaloo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I, for one, am shocked that a DoJ lead by Jeff Sessions doesn't want to prosecute white wing extremists.

Gotta free up resources to go after minorities who don't know their place Black Identity Extremists, who we all know are the real threat to America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I know DR makes some odd arguments in the SCOTUS thread but :eyepop: