Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

GameCube posted:

"Did they shoot him? You assholes"

The video on its own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw9sfuFGghY

I love the Home School Teen's attempts to contribute. "We have to get Ryan back!" "I'm an EMT!" "*shrieking*"

That is some excellent felony stop verbal commands by Captain Shouty there. Only one person talking, clear, loud, unambiguous and repeated. Very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh I agree.

Every sovcit win be it a course case or traffic stop, seems to be officials that can't be bothered to deal with there bullshit. It reminds me of a child that whines until you say "fine eat eat ketchup for dinner"

It's grownup petulant children.

Petulant children hits the nail right on the head. I was kindof struck by just how much Finnicum yelling "We're going to see the sheriff" over and over again sounded almost exactly like my 8-yo when we tell to do his homework or he's going to lose his xbox time.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

Good thing this isn't a drug case or they'd be walking.

quote:

An external hard drive with a terabyte of storage can be easily purchased online at outlets like Best Buy for around $100.

This kind of disingenuous bullshit pisses me off. Server storage is significantly more expensive than just buying a loving external drive from best buy and attaching it to the network. At my previous postion, we had the office manager for one of our doctor's offices request us to increase his departments share quota by 500GB and when he was denied, offered to buy the storage himself. When we quoted him our cost he flipped his poo poo.

On the other side, only have 40TB of global network storage as a federal agency is a travesty, but I am not the least bit surprised based on what I've seen working for the government.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Mirthless posted:

I don't really know how it works in server farms, but what's expensive about it? There's 2tb datacenter drives on Amazon that sell for $150. I'm guessing the cost is something other than the physical storage itself?

At the time, 600GB drives were just south of $1000 each (looks like they still are, drat), and they got installed in pairs in the storage servers, and in a RAID 100 (4 mirrors double stripped, 8 drives total. $8000 for 1.2TB of storage) in the application servers. We also have 300, 120 and 76GB for other uses, mainly older servers. Company policy was to increase the storage quota 1GB at a time for department-level folders and 100MB at a time for personal drives (this is a hospital, noone should be storing anything outside of the medical record system that is more complex than excel/word/pdf documents). The manager was tired of requesting 1GB bumps every couple months and wanted a lot in one go with no actual justification for it. That's just the physical cost of the storage, doesn't include the extra storage needed for shadow copy backups, full/incremental tape backups, power, HVAC, bandwidth, etc.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Dealing with federal IT systems gives me a loving headache.

Mismatch of contractors who have to talk through marginally qualified feds instead of talking directly to each other to fix the bandaid on top of a bandaid on top of a bandaid on top of a bad decision from 10 years ago that hasn't been ripped out and replaced because the budget process makes it drat near impossible to get a multi-year expensive project approved, so you just apply more bandaids.

Edit: Since I took us on an IT derail, I am extremely interested in seeing how much, if any, of that multi-terabytes of evidence is logs and captured network traffic from the militants deciding to either use the wifi in the refuge or straight up hooking computers up to the network and David Frye's "hacking" of the computer by using a Linux USB stick.

CommanderApaul has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Mar 24, 2016

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Geostomp posted:

I forget, did this analysis make headlines in '14? I feel like I should remember the temper tantrums this would bring from right wingers, but the sheer number of conservative persecution rants kind of blur after a while.

I don't think so, the last big right-wing temper tantrum over this stuff was the DHS report in 2009 that the Republicans labeled as "the government using the word terrorist to describe law-abiding americans who are upset with the direction of their country under democratic leadership" or some such similar nonsense.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Raku posted:

Is sempai detaining me!?

senapi will never create joinder with you

Plan Z posted:

Quote this post to receive your SovCit militia name.

Hit me.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

red19fire posted:

It's a well-established fact that neglect alternated with savage beatings are the key to success in the music industry. Source: Joe Jackson, Ike Turner.

:stare: It's like they have a pathological need to self-incriminate.

They see absolutely no need to lie about their actions because THE CONSTITUTION is on their side. Their whole schtick is just a more insane version "conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed," and their continual losses in the courtroom are just proof that both the system is to get them and they aren't sovereign citizening hard enough, and they double down on their insanity.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Bonfire Lit posted:

but it was federal equipment and federal authorities so it doesn't count

You see, WE THE PEOPLE are the Federal government, and you can't steal your own property and you can't arrest yourself, and furthermore.....

I hope Ryan Payne's plea deal includes a requirement that he roll on everyone else.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Page 13 to page 34 inclusive for guns and ammo, goddamn.

Also I'm kindof upset at the complete lack of any network traffic captures since Fry was very obviously using linux bootsticks in the agency PCs on the agency network to do stuff.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Yep, conveniently left out the whole "building a pond on someone else's private land without their permission".

You missed "Physical Evidence - Guns - One (1) cardboard box labeled "TANNERITE, Brand Binary Exploding Targets", containing ten (10) containers that appear empty, with orange "Tannerite" labels" and "Physical Evidence - Guns - One (1) container, opened, with orange label, "TANNERITE Brand Mixing Container and Instructions", with small amount of gray substance."

Tannerite's a low explosive usually used to produce targets that go off with a bang when shot. It might be a low explosive, but it's still explosive.

Oh wait, this one's good...

Somebody tried to ditch his fighting gear.

Any idea what the "checks to MNWR" might be used for? There's also mention of bank cards under the government's name and physical cash. They going to put a grand theft/larceny charge on them as well?

Tannerite is pretty drat close to legal ANFO, other than the detonation method. They even have similar detonation velocities (~3500m/s or so). 5 lbs of it (10 1/2 lb containers) detonated at once would be a pretty good way to gently caress someone up real bad.

Mixed with a binder and in a slightly different ratio, it's also the fuel that the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket boosters burned. :science:

CommanderApaul has issued a correction as of 03:34 on Jul 31, 2016

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

He also seems to be arguing that since the court appointed attorney is a public defender and paid by the government, they can't properly represent his interests. Also that he didn't get to interview his public defenders to pick one.

"You have the right to an attorney, you don't have the right to a specific attorney."

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Seconding this. It's extremely good.

And also yeah the own video for seeing them in the wild.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

If you have the time and energy to go through a 156 page court decision, an Alberta Superior court judge went into great detail in a divorce case decision.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Okay last two gun law related questions from me, I think. I don't know this vocabulary in English that well, so please forgive any errors.
1. So with M-16 and Uzi (which are the only guns I am at all familiar with) if you hit the back of the round hard enough, even if the round isn't chambered, it can cause an explosion and damage. Is this also true of the rounds that were left there?
2. If this is also true, is there any kind of cause of action even if no explosion occurred? Or is it only if someone was hurt that it would be a legal problem? Are civil and criminal laws different on this point?

If you hit the primer of any round hard enough it's going to discharge. Same thing if you do something stupid like throw it in the fire like a friend of mine did at boyscout camp. The brass/steel case isn't strong enough to contain the gas expansion from the burning powder without the support of the chamber walls, so it won't shoot the bullet, it'll just pop like a soda can, just more dramatic and probably with some shrapnel. The chance of it happening by accident just rolling around in a desk drawer or hanging out in a ziploc baggie are slim to none, it's pretty much something you'd need to do intentionally.

People buy and store ammo in bulk in metal ammo cans, plastic buckets and sometime even ziploc bags all the time and it's not really a risk at all.

CommanderApaul has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Sep 28, 2016

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

xthetenth posted:

However, NASA saw an opportunity to stretch its budget with a discount moon mission...

Whereas defendant claims that he is part of the moon, and whereas all known lunar samples larger than 1g are determined to have come to Earth via the Apollo missions, and whereas USC states that all Apollo lunar samples are the property of the US Government, defendant is remanded to the custody of NASA to be placed in storage or on display as NASA sees fit.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

hangedman1984 posted:

I don't know anything about the Nevada political scene, but knowing how the rest of reality is going, I'm guessing he had a really good shot doesn't he?

he's running as an independent, and might end up peeling off enough hard right wing voters to get a Democratic governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Does this mean his militia is going to show up in Portland? I've been idly contemplating the conspicuous yet unsurprising absence of right-wing antigovernment protestors at the courthouse demonstrations.

I don't really want them to show up, mindyou, but the it does seem like the exact kind of federal overreach these asshats have been jerking themselves off to the thought of for years.