Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

fspades posted:

The new 'lids are super scary. :stare:

To those not watching, the devs just had a soldier run up to a corner, revealed a chryssalid, and it ran over to the soldier and stabbed him on its reveal move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LolitaSama posted:

I just started enemy within and theres a mission called operation final knife with a vip that coughs and doesnt trust my squad. Its absurd. Ive killed like 10 aliens and they keep spawning. Is this mission supposed to be not possible? Theres way too many enemies that keep spawning.

That's the infamous Portent mission. It's noteable for being extremely difficult for the point in the game where you usually get it, and it's also the first of three missions in the Operation Progeny mission arc that comes with Enemy Within.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

AegisP posted:

Ahahaha Beagle.

I like his reaction. Just a deadpan "Ok, Civilian, you're on your own. We're out of here."

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

"Operation Perilous Doom"

I have a good feeling about this!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Missed shots could cause collateral damage in the first one, it's seared into my memory ever since I accidentally got one of my soldiers killed with an errant sniper shot that set a car on fire

For me it's the many, many times a soldier missed and hit a meld cannister that the aliens weren't even hiding behind.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

So turns out when the Avatar project maxes out you get a timer, it's not an instant loss.

Shade over 18 days on legendary.

Did people really think Beagle of all people didn't know what he was doing?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

splifyphus posted:

That's hosed up.

I think it's only if the trigger happens on their Turn. Beagle had discovered a strat where you overwatch everyone and leave one soldier out of cover, then they patrol into him on their turn, everyone takes their overwatch shot, and *then* you start a new turn without the enemy ever getting to fire. Was a fairly broken tactic and also anti-fun, since it involved lots and lots of setting up ambushes in the hopes that they'd patrol into you.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

If you miss this 87%....

(sniper misses at 87%)

Jake Solomon certainly has him by the nards on this one.

This will horribly backfire if we fail the hack

(Fails 82% hack)

You'd think he's learn to stop doing this.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I really hope for an expansion, but honestly, I think trying to use a new tie in novel as evidence is really reaching.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

You can make PCS that make a soldier not take an overwatch shot below 25/50/75% chance. That's kind of cool.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zore posted:

Some of this sounds absolutely terrible. Building individual arms when you're encouraging like 100 soldiers with multiple missions running at once in particular sounds really loving stupid.

This is actually one change I didn't really like in XCOM2. It makes using a mix of lots of classes much more expensive than just a few; it's one of the issues Sparks have, for instance.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I want to say this is the one that starts with alien special ops guys going to abduct a lone wimpy musician from his houseboat and at least one getting horribly maimed because even regular humans are savage monsters compared to all aliens? If so that book owns bones if only for that concept.

Like, the theory was that any sufficiently warlike and intelligent species ends up destroying themselves shortly after inventing nuclear weapons, but we're unique in that we somehow got past that without going extinct, so we're the most deadly fuckers in the universe.

That's actually The Damned by Alan Dean Foster. And just to add to it, Humans also end up with crazy psychic powers.

Old Man's War is very different, and is in some ways sort of a rejection of the "humans are special" genre (in that humans are "special" in being assholes that everyone hates).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

The destruction fuckery gets to the heart of where LW2 lies in its philosophy - cover destruction is a cool mechanic that was both a source of fun mayhem and a tactical consideration in the original series, XCOM to a lesser extent, and XCOM2 to a greater extent. LW has always been about curtailing reliable tools and mechanics as "maladaptive tactics", as some grog put it earlier. The tragedy of LW is that on the surface it appears to be a creative, freeing rejiggering of formula, but it ends up an even more demanding challenge of mechanical mastery, as all tactigrog projects invariably become. It's a shame that the good ideas of the TC couldn't be realized with more elegance. But the existing elegance of XCOM is part of the problem that LW seeks to correct.

It's not like you can't destroy cover anymore. It's just it's own thing instead of the single universal tactic of the game. Or you can flank, or set overwatch traps.

If you don't like LW, no one is forcing you to play it, but it's kinda disturbing how all pervasive the making GBS threads on the mod is in this thread. "You're not allowed to like things I don't like!"

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Perhaps not quite so extreme, but I think this really does touch on the core issue, which is that the LW devs seem to confuse exploits with basic tactics. Any good habit, smart tactic, or learned behavior is basically being worn at with the new mechanics as if they were cheaty exploits. I can understand wanting to downplay the bent towards "just bring all grenadiers every time", but at this rate it's a matter of time till they make flashbangs not break sectoid mindcontrol because people were doing that too much.
You don't have to break every habit or undermine every tactic. Some of them are good because they're good, not because they're exploitative.

Who the hell in this thread is telling you you can't like it? People saying "I don't like it, and here's why" is not the same as "you're not allowed to like it". If anything it's the folks defending the mod who are attacking the detractors for having the wrong and dumb opinion. There's a lot of this "gosh I sure am critical of this FREE MOD that's FREE and yet somehow I'm still complaining even though it's FREE :jerkbag:" going on.

How is saying the devs are wrong or saying that the mod is a "tragedy" any different from saying the people that enjoy those things are wrong? Like I said, if you don't like it, that's fine. But there's a difference between "I don't like LW because the cover changes don't appeal to me" and "LW is a terrible mod for grognards because you can't destroy cover anymore." If it were just a few that would be fine, but it seems like the whole thread is people coming into it just to complain about a mod they don't have to play.

And you're completely wrong about why they did it, too. Grenadiers were literally considered the ultimate tactic in X-Com2. The game was all about cover destruction. Compare that to what you say about them nerfing flashbangs breaking mind control; that's not going to happen because that's a specific answer to a specific problem. Whereas grenades were literally the answer to everything. If every enemy in the game mind controlled you and winning was all about bringing flashbangs, then yeah, they'd probably get nerfed.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 20, 2017

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

MikeC posted:

You are stuck in the same mentality that the Long War devs are stuck in. Rather than seeing the use of explosives as a necessity by players to minimize RNG, they see it as an obstacle to making the game more random and thus harder. They don't understand that taking away player agency in the game is actively unfun. Very few players like looking at a situation and seeing little to no options to significantly advance your position. Long War devs and yourself see it as "okay" if you use tactics to advance your position in an incremental fashion and tilt the RNG in your favor. If you do everything right, but the AI still scores that 20% chance hit and knocks out your elite operator, you guys see it as :xcom:. The vast majority of players see this as plain bullshit where there was little to nothing they could do to affect the outcome and to them it is incredibly frustrating.

Long War 1 was an incredibly popular mod, and LW2 looks set to follow in its footsteps. I'm sorry you feel challenged that other people are enjoying a mod you don't like.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

How early in grenadier is the perk that makes your grenades blow up cover more/better?

There's one at tier 2 (the first one you get a choice for) and another at/near the bottom that also improves terrain damage. I assume they stack, though I haven't had a chance to really test how effective you are with just one.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

Does Long War 2 need the DLC to work?

I don't think so. One of the patch notes mentioned that it had Spark changes for people who owned the DLC, which I assume means it still works if you don't have it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

I think it's largely an issue in the early game - and I admit I am just guessing - as apparently suppressors can reduce infiltration time so maybe fitting out your guys for stealth will be worth it.

There's also upgrades in the GWS that reduce infiltration times for larger squads.

I get the feeling that you start with 4-6 man squads depending on infiltration times, scaling up to more like 8 in the later game with upgrades and equipment, and can use 10 man squads for missions that never expire (I assume the blacksite and most other storyline missions will at least be like this).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

sullat posted:

Just picked this up on the sale, going to run through vanilla a few times before taking the LW plunge. Ran the first blacksite mission this morning, was good fun. Lost my sniper because I forgot the first rule of raiding, though. One question, they keep saying I can recruit engineers and scientists at HQ, but I don't see the option when I go back to HQ, where do I get more of those guys?

Once you've picked up the supply drop for the month you should be able to go back to the HQ and get it (there's another button, not the same one you use to scan for intel).

You can also sometimes buy them at the black market.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

If the LW2 mission timers seem short, I just discovered that as soon as you have officers they get an ability to extend the timer by 2 turns. It costs 10 intel, but you use it during a mission so you only really have to spend it when things are tight. Looks like higher level officers can use it multiple times in a single battle as well.

(Also, command and the other officer abilities make the death from above ability on snipers much more useful).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Is the key to LW2 to forget everything I know about XCOM2 and try to play it as an actual stealth game?

Sort of. Some missions are stealthy, and the mod does try to add tools for being stealthy, but other missions are just kill all enemies.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thank you.

Should I get rid of all other mods, or are there still some QoL of UI mods that are good to go with LW2?

QoL mods are still good and most should work fine. Somewhere there's a huge list of mods the LW2 team tested for compatibility (edit: "somewhere" being the previous post apparently).

I originally figured I should take all the mods off and did, but the first thing I did after the first infiltration mission was realize how wrong I was and reinstalled Evac all.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Even if that's what that is, Long War is supposed to make 10% of the miss above your hit chance into glances, so anything above 90% hit always does at least 1 damage.

If you get a graze and they get a dodge it works out to a miss. Do Codexes get dodge (if so: ouch)? If so, that would explain the miss; even with 100% accuracy you'd be getting 90% to hit and 10% to graze.

vvvv No idea.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 22, 2017

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

marxismftw posted:

How do I keep advent from stealing 95% of my supplies - ive assigned duders to manage resistance cells (admittedly they are low rank, but I expected I'd see some effect)

I dunno. I assigned soldiers to each haven as I got them (mostly squaddies). First drop I had one catch the faceless mission then got the vast majority of my supplies stolen, second I had another and had about a third stolen, last drop I got them all and finally had enough to build stuff.

As best I can tell it happens over time instead of just at the end of the month; that second drop I caught the faceless right before the drop and still lost a lot, but the next month I had nothing taken whatsoever. So if you've already dealt with some faceless it might just be a matter of waiting.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I would encourage people to watch at least a few of that guy's videos. I guess he was a playtester for Pavonis and is the only streamer/youtuber that I've found that seems to know how the mechanics of LW2 work for a whole campaign. He's been rushing lasers, setting all of his haven personnel to Intel and only taking missions he can 100% + infiltrate. There's also a mechanic for taking over your region completely and kicking Advent out by running a series of missions that the game never actually tells you about. He also stealths a bunch of missions rather than trying to fight. I found his vids to be very helpful, especially for the completely opaque strategy layer.

Got a link? I tried looking through the thread for the original video but nothing leapt out at me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Lunethex posted:

I have a Sharpshooter with Serial, Cool Under Pressure and Rapid Reaction from AWC perks. Basically the god sniper.

Aim is really nice for Sharpshooters as well. It's basically a free advanced stock that doesn't use an upgrade slot.

Do people usually spread out their AWC perks or try to train a few super soldiers?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Don't forget rockets. Ambushing large pods with rockets, especially if they are up on a collapsible building or something, is just the loveliest thing.

Give your technical an SMG and sneak him in close and you can do something even better, ambush with a flamethrower :)

Not only does it do damage, but it has a 75% chance to inflict burning (which makes a unit take damage and be unable to attack for two rounds), and makes a lot less noise than a rocket. There's also a perk that adds a chance to disorient and panic to it, which makes it an incredible ambush weapon; spray down an entire pod and between the damage, panic, and burning odds are most of them will never get to attack.

Looks like it might be too good since in the future it's getting nerfed to a 60% chance to inflict burning.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Captain Gordon posted:

What difficulty should I play LW2 on for the first time? I finished the vanilla on legendary multiple times.

I never even tried to play XCOM2 on legendary, and I've been playing LW2 on veteran. OTOH, I watched/read a lot of advice for LW2 and restarted a few times after getting a feel for new strategies.

If you want to jump into it, I'd say veteran. If you're already familiar with many of the changes and new tactics people are finding, probably commander.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

MF_James posted:

Do you guys usually just bring 6 people on missions in LW2? Just wondering if i should be building squads around 6-8 people or 8-10, I would guess you want to have an extra guy or two for when people get wounded?

I've got 3 squads of 5 and 1 squad of 8. The idea was to use the squad of 8 for indefinite duration missions and supply raids, and that worked great for assaulting the Advent Regional HQ, but one of them got injured for 19 days. So then I started using that squad as fill in replacements for other squads and now it's basically permanently out of commission as half of its members are constantly on other missions :D. Assuming things ever quiet down a little my plan is to use the heavy squad for the DLC missions while waiting on another HQ assault/black site.

At the start on veteran difficult it appears base infiltration time goes something like: three and a half days for 3, 4 days for 4, 5 days for 5, 6 and a half for 6, and so on, so I think 5 is the ideal "light squad." But occasionally you get a nice 8+ day infiltration timer and want to bring along a 6th, so I use squads of 5 and have a few floaters to replace injuries/add a sixth as needed.

There's researches in the GTS to reduce the infiltration times for larger squads but they're both incredibly expensive and require high ranked officers.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

marxismftw posted:

Is there any benefit to getting indefinite duration missions past 100% infiltration?

Higher resistance reduces the number of enemies on the map. There's diminishing returns, though, so the difference between 50% and 100% infiltration is a lot bigger than the difference between 100% and 150%. There's a few other bonuses, too, IIRC. Like 150%+ reduces your evac timer by one turn.

Enemy numbers can't go below extremely light, so if I don't need the team back I usually just infiltrate until then or 200%, whichever comes first.

The Dregs posted:

Do I have to have all the DLC to run the new Long War? I didn't bother to pick up the anarchy or alien hunters because they looked poo poo. I have Shen's Gift and resistance pack, though.

You don't need any, though Shen's Last Gift will add Sparks and Alien Hunters will add the rulers and unique equipment.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

marxismftw posted:

Thanks for the replies, but I understand the basics of infiltration. I'm talking specifically about base assault missions that have an indefinite duration and require 100% infitration to initiate - I'm just wondering whether I should launch those at 100% or whether there is actually a bonus for waiting till 200%.

edit - between 100% and 167% (at which I decided to stop being patient) enemy numbers never went below swarming, so its possible that they are capped for these missions.

You can reduce enemy numbers through infiltration on a base assault. It might just be so high that it wont drop below swarming even at 200% though; it's very high to begin with and is boosted by the region's advent strength.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is it possible to get a headquarters assault below "swarming" if I wait for 200% infiltration or do those missions just assume I can send in a full squad of 6+ dudes?

I'm pretty sure I remember getting mine below swarming, but it's highly dependent on advent strength in the region and maybe difficulty.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Lunethex posted:

There are reports of soldiers being unable to vault over railings and low cover and jump through windows, anyone getting this?

Yeah, I got this. I literally ended up with two soldiers trapped in a building because they wouldn't jump off the roof (even in spots where there was no low cover) or go out a window. Basically, it made the map behave like there were giant invisible forcefields around the building, it even stopped AoE on explosives and stuff. No map mods other than LW2.

I loaded back from a geoscape save and regen'd the mission and it worked fine though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

MF_James posted:

I have done a ton of missions that reward me with a intel/recruits/havenpeople and an "intel package" (supposedly), is that what should start the liberation chain?

I forget what the missions usually are, but I think I have had multiple kinds (hack this, rescue this guy etc) and I only seem to get the first thing, unless the intel package is another mission? If it IS another mission they have always been ones with <24hrs infil time left which is LOLnope

If a mission lists "intel package" as a reward, then that means if you win you'll uncover a PoI on the map. However, if it lists "Recover intelligence" or whatever as an objective, but doesn't have Intel package listed as a reward, then I think that means it's either the first liberation mission or a facility lead.

I think this might be why so many people are having trouble with the liberation chain. I always have mine pop up pretty quick, but if you don't recognize it when you see it, you're much more likely to skip a mission that seems to have minimal rewards. Often times I'll get one mission with a reward of "~25 intel, Intel Package" and another that just says "~25 Intel" and the latter is the Lib 1.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

sullat posted:

So what's up with Long War 2 soldiers not being able to hop over low walls? Ordinarily, I wouldn't care, since frankly, those would pose a problem for me, but also because I could use grenades to make shortcuts, but it is getting annoying and preventing me from flanking sectoids 24-7 like I used to.

It's a bug in two maps, apparently. Normally they can. Already noted as fixed in the 1.2 changelog.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

a cow posted:

So I just sent my ten best dudes away for at least 16 days to infiltrate my first HQ assault in LW2. Should I be expecting some kind of bullshit, like infinite reinforcements? Will going over 100% infiltration make much of a difference?

If you've done a swarming supply raid before (where you just send a huge force and don't bother infiltrating), it's basically like that. Except harder, with several turrets and a boss pod. But the same strategy applies, just try to set up a killing ground and keep mowing them down until they're gone.

The normal infiltration bonuses still work, but if the region has a high advent strength it's entirely possible it will be pegged at swarming no matter how much you infiltrate.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

LW2 makes you have to build weapons individually? What made them think that was a good idea? Building them as a single project for everyone is one of the changes that I've seen pretty much unanimously praised.

It opens up a lot more tactical and strategic options. Consider Sparks; one of the reasons they were considered weak in Vanilla is because you have to invest a lot of resources into building new armor and weapons of a type you'll only use on a few soldiers. Building them individually means it makes more sense to use varied rosters and have various grades of troops (an A-Team with the best weapons and a B-Team with hand-me-downs, for instance), and makes the strategic game full of interesting tradeoffs.

Not saying it's for everyone, but it's not really a unanimously positive change either.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Not a Step posted:

Reliable cover destruction is a necessity if you're relying on Aim to carry the day. High cover + tac sense + built in defense means no one but an aim stacking sharpshooter is going to have a chance to hit, so you need either autohit abilities, flanking or cover destruction to reliably remove enemies. Trying to move into flanking is incredibly dangerous thanks to the high density maps and yellow alert, and LW2 removed aiming angles, making flanking all or nothing, so that really just leaves autohit or cover destruction. Grenades can do both, which makes them the solution in most situations. Maybe if grenades were separated into 'does damage' and 'blows objects up reliably' that might be a good balance point? Another attempt at balance might be large AoE non-cover penetrating anti-personnel grenades and high damage/high cover destruction but low AoE HE grenades. I don't think the LW team could ever come up with that on their own though.

And yes, I understand that shaped charges exist, but theyre a pretty poor tactical combat tool. Those are for creating your own doors in facilities.

I understand why that annoys people, but at the same time those are options that are now much more useful when cover destruction isn't almost universally the best option. You can still flank safely by using a shinobi to make sure you don't reveal anything, or you can overwatch and use flush to force the enemy to move, things like that. Or use an officer to focus fire and unload on it with a bunch of shots. Making cover destruction more random also gives other tactics the chance to shine.

Additionally, cover destruction isn't limited to just grenades either. There's demolition and saturation fire on gunners, shredder guns if you use heavy weapons, and similar.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Amish Ninja posted:

So I have two regions liberated right now, but one of the adjacent regions (to both) has gone up to strength 11. Should I be worried about an impending invasion? I already went through one invasion mission and it was pure hell. I'm not sure how to mitigate it. I have two people in that region's haven; Psi soldier advisor with a recruit and an intel person. I had one in hiding for part of it, but that didn't seem to affect anything at all in terms of regional strength. Is there any way for me to preemptively deal with this?

I believe that if you have people working intel in a liberated region they have a chance to detect the invasion before it launches (which makes it show up as a supply raid in the liberated region instead), but that's both chancy and means taking that region off the deliciously profitable liberated supply task.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Whole bunch of posts here what make me never want to try Long War 2. Why would I want to put my balls in a vice voluntarily?

As usual on the internet, the complainers are the noisy ones. Plenty of people in this thread have mentioned loving LW2, but they usually just make a post about it and stop. Also, as mentioned, LW2 also has difficulty modes. It's only as hard or as easy as you want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Not a Step posted:

LW2 isnt that difficult, its just obfuscated as gently caress. Once you've had a look under the hood and/or a bunch of experience and know the style of play the system wants you to engage in its really not that hard, barring getting yellow alert murdered because gently caress you or viper grabbed and murdered because also gently caress you.

You can manipulate the kinds of missions that spawn by intentionally failing the 'bad' ones to clear them off the map so you can get good ones. Its pretty easy to have 3 scientists and 3 engineers in April. You can control the market to get troopers in demand after the first supply drop to get a cash injection. You farm troop columns and supply raids (0%ing isnt even necessary, even if it is 'optimal') for supplies and loot, and liberate a region eventually when you get around to it. So long as you make noise in one part of the world to keep ADVENT from going to the moon you can always power through liberation in some forgotten corner in late summer to address Avatar. Keep 4 rebels or less on any one job to reduce ADVENT retals, unless you're trying to bait retaliations for experience.

You only need one A-team and set of gear to do story missions and farm troop columns, plus a few backups to replace the injured/dead. Every other mission you do from stealth, where if you get engaged you die anyways so its better to bring no gear at all to increase movement. LCPL shinobi officers with ghostwalker, command and oscar mike can lead 75% of stealth missions, so pump them out of the GTS and give a commission to anyone who survives a mission.

I've nearly won my Commander difficulty campaign and I've never stealthed or intentionally failed a mission. I don't question that it's a good tactic, but you make it sound like it's necessary to win.