Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Plot twist: you were Agatha Zola all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

reignofevil posted:

I know a really easy way to make sure every game of xcom makes use of multiple squads.

Just make it so you need more bases for more radar coverage and your A team can't make it in time to that mission on the other side of the earth.

Cut down the range of your response craft, and you’ve got the OG XCOM mod that was “let the Interceptor/Barracuda carry 6 people” :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The skirmisher with Retribution and an assault with Blademaster are outright hilarious on maps full of Lost and/or chrysallids*

*as long as you can 1-hit kill them :smith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vulin posted:

I have no idea how to deal with a Chosen who can just swoop in, daze and almost kill one of my guys before vanishing again.

Be more aggressive. You can’t really wait to flush her out, so you’ve got to run her to ground. It’s a fine balance between fanning out enough to search and having other soldiers close enough to get in shots/grenades, but that’s your best bet on dealing with her when she’s got Shadowstep.

(Or abusing your Reaper’s shadow ability to get LoS on her, then unloading every explosive you’ve got in that general area)

Also, torch any cover nearby so you have better odds of getting eyes on her. That one is a tough nut to crack, but it’s doable.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

The Avenger slowly being remade into a cathedral of still-screaming flesh, being able to replay on demand the agony and misery of your enemies, tendrils of warm psionic wrapping around you in a loving crush of suffering…

This is how Slaanesh is born. Well, this and marines playing :black101: music so loud that it hits like a weapon :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I haven’t played in a while, but that last post reminded me of punching a Thin Man into a truck (which then exploded) with a MEC.

That was maybe one of the most satisfying moments I’ve ever had in either game, after playing the originals relentlessly and being in on the reboot since launch day.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Another was the main character from
XCOM: The Bureau Declassified. What, you haven’t heard of it? :haw:

it came out in 2013, was aggressively mediocre

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I really do want a Terror from the Deep remake. I have a weakness for cool underwater poo poo.

TFTD was my intro to the series, I’d love to see it updated. Some of y’all haven’t had to go hunting for lobstermen in cruise ship closets and found them with your last TUs, and it shows :corsair:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 24, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At least the bio-drones didn’t hide.

they were too busy trying to find you and ask for help, and liquefying your bones with their screams

That one little piece of lore in the TFTD UFOPedia hosed me up when I first read it at like age 12. Game wasn’t afraid to go dark at any point.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Sounds like someone didn't watch this handy guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

It’s a perfect guide, but didn’t exist in 1997 :cry:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just tried a random artifact site via OpenXCom/TFTD. Gave my aquanauts sonic cannons, sonic pulsers, ion armor, and chemical flares; standard late-game faire. Bumped the difficulty to veteran, because I was feeling good after trashing a similar site on Experienced with no losses (or whatever the 2nd difficulty is).

I’ve also been trying to not cheese the site (aka blocking the lift with 4 aquanauts, dropping down to shoot, heading back up before retaliation; rinse/repeat until you start seeing “alien panic” messages).

Lift positions for my squad are perfect; directly next to each other. Everyone is assembled in the 2nd floor, managed to get everyone down easy enough and into a defensive position for whenever the Tasoths and Tentaculats start rolling in.

Did I say “start”? Because after 3 dudes dropped down on one side, I noticed a square of the lift they weren’t using that was somehow still in shadow. Cue tentaculat number 1! First guy whiffs his shot ( :xcom: ), second one makes it without any more fuss.

Now I’ve got 3 guys bunched up by the lift, but otherwise still doing alright. Everyone else gets into position to start sweeping around the lower right section of the site, while holding the second lift and waiting for the sweeping teams to make it to the far edge of the map, then they can just move across the entire artifact site in a single line. Works in alien bases in the first XCOM, works fine with artifact sites in TFTD.

Well, it’s dark in there and I forgot to throw chemlights. Remember my 3 dudes bunched together? A tentaculat rounds the corner out of the dark and zombifies 2 of them right away. Bad, but still manageable. Zombies are a pain, but whatever.

…until the damage rolls are apparently garbage, because it took 2 shots to kill a single zombie (before leaving a tentaculat to deal with). Ended up with 1 tentaculat surviving the incoming fire, before a tasoth came down a nearby lift to join him.

Back to the other aquanaut section:
A tasoth pokes it’s head through a door unbothered, and MCs one of my soldiers. An aquatoid pops out and drops a stun bomb on 2 aquanauts; both go down and are out cold. A hallucinoid comes out of the dark and murders an aquanaut standing beside the MC’d one.

The tentaculat comes in and does what they do best (more zombies!), the tasoth moves off into the dark and lands a killshot (despite the ion armor), another aquatoid shows up with a melee weapon and proceeds to practice its stabbin’, Roberto-style.

2 turns, 10 aquanauts dead, unconscious, or under alien control. Survivors are split between the lifts, meaning I can’t get them into the 2nd floor and block access/try to regroup. Zombies and tentaculats will run down the survivors on one side, the MC’d aquanaut had 2 sonic pulsers on him (besides his sonic cannon), not looking good over there either.

I abandoned that hopeless mission, I’ll try again tomorrow :stonklol:

OpenXCom fixes a bunch of issues that the original games had, 2 of which hosed me here: the hallucinoids didn’t do damage with their (freezing) melee attack, and aliens wouldn’t use melee weapons (aside from the lobster men, using their claws).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I will sing the praises of Remote Start, for this very reason:

Nordick posted:

Let me put it this way:

(lower picture was the Assassin, weak to explosives and reapers, hiding inside a bus. You can see the 20 damage she took if you look closely.)

I’ve pulled this off exactly once, on an Avenger defense (I think). One-shotting a drat Chosen is probably the most satisfying thing I’ve ever done in this game.

It’s situational, sure…but when that situation arises, there is absolutely no substitute.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Is there a mod that makes the same function across classes (overwatch, for example) bound to the same key? I can't tell you how many times I'm in the middle of overwatching my squad when I have my templar accidentally shoot at a pod with his pistol. It sucks.

Should be the Y button, in the stock game. Is it not for you?

Idk where they spell it out, much like the camera levels and zoom controls (T/F and G/V, iirc).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

AH! Never knew that. Thank you! Will just need to retrain myself to using Y instead of 2.

I just remember a :dadjoke: from when the first game came out, I think? Somewhere in this thread, maybe.

"it's XCOM, not 'press Y' COM" :suicide:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jackhammer posted:

I don't get this complaint after finishing campaign in classic, wotc and impossible modes in all forms. It's all good fun even if you cheat a little

By “cheat”, do you mean running 6 ranger colonels on a single mission? Because this is far more fun than it has any right to be :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Scandalous posted:

I’ve now got Enemy Within on my phone lmao

I got it for my iPad, but forgot about how many QoL mods I had installed for my PC version :laffo:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Gasmask posted:

my new favourite thing is parking an assault with Bladestorm on top of a reinforcement flare and letting him chop everyone to bits as they jump out of the landing craft

I think the most fun I ever had in this game was taking 6 assault colonels on a mission. Idk what that mission was, but run/gun, bladestorm, rapid fire, and untouchable made it a loving blast, and a short mission :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Not to mention a lot of the mods and expansions make things like damage typing resistance much more important.

Hell, this got important even in TFTD. Lobstermen would shrug off sonic shots all day long, but melee or stun damage would put them straight to bed no problem.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rohan Kishibe posted:

In my experience, I found out that they countered the first time I melee attacked one and he killed my ranger so I proceeded to never melee one again. And in fact I assumed for ages that berserkers shouldn't be meleed either.

Murdering a berserker in melee is about the biggest flex I can think of in this game. Not even the counterattack from a ranger, just charging the loving thing and splitting it right open as it stands there stupid and confused.

almost as good as punching a Thin Man into a truck that then explodes in the first game. Not quite there, but still satisfying :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea losing a pile of few soldiers every mission was expected for me, but you’d cut through the chaff real quick about which ones were serious threats to the aliens and which weren’t. I liked to sort them based on reaction (50 or better), accuracy (60 or better), psi (when it came to that), and that became their last name. Javier [rxn/snp] was normal, but if they were good at all 3 they just didn’t have a last name at all. Anyone with a last name was alien reaction bait a scout, and stayed that way until they earned their designation or their tombstone.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When I get my advent progress to high I use Reapers to cheese the hell out of facility missions.

This was my entire reason behind choosing the starting area that gave you a second reaper. Ghosting whole facilities with them felt more like a game of Thief than X-Com. Nobody knew anything was wrong at all, until there was a brand new pile of explosives sitting inside and there was suddenly a hostile dropship coming in for a pickup :getin:

They’re also great for dealing with the Alien Rulers too. Turns out that a repeater works on them just as well as it works on other aliens!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

insane things with remote start

Setting a claymore next to the Assassin when she’s standing next to a thing that can get Remote Started, when she’s weak to both Reapers and explosives, and watching her get one-shotted exploded into oblivion does count as an insane thing, but it also counts as a beautiful thing :unsmith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I just went back and started an ironman replay and on the first camp attack the sniper showed up and proceeded to one shot my squad one after the other.

I’ve told y’all this before, 95 times out of 100 the Chosen sniper just fucks around uselessly in the backfield while you dunk on all his little buddies then rush him to finish off the mission.

Those other 5/100 times though…you’re just doomed. There’s no cover, no tactic, no weapon that will save you. He becomes the Eye of Sauron, none who fall under his gaze will live to tell the tale.

It fits in with his dialog, where he’s just kind of bored until he decides to stop loving around.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rocket punching a Thin Man into a truck (that then explodes and ragdolls the corpse) is easily one of the top5 most satisfying things I’ve ever done in a game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Same. I wouldn't mind them going to an I think the huge advantage of going to that scale is that there wouldn't be such a disconnect between interceptors and skyrangers and the guys on the ground- you could have vehicles play a role in the tactical combat layer.

I liked one of the ways OpenXCOM played with this, turning every fighter into a transport. Your base interceptor only has room for 6 guys, but if you down something and want to run the mission immediately (day/night, end of month, whatever) you have that option. Just like with the Avenger in the endgame.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Panzeh posted:

It's true- even XCOM '93 heavily favors attacking on the active turn over relying on reaction fire because both the reaction mechanics give the active player a little break on first-sight, and because snap shots are less efficient than throwing grenades or taking auto shots (or blaster bombs, or any number of options). The optimal tactic in '93 is to use exactly one unit to spot, and have everyone else attack from out of sight range or move out, attack, and run back to a protected location. There's an AI mod that actually has the AI do this, and it's called Brutal AI for a reason.

Most people tend to overvalue reaction fire in that game because of a mechanical flaw in which the enemy begins with a full set of TUs on your first turn which means they get full overwatch, so novice players get dunked on for walking out of the skyranger. The veteran player just hits end turn once you start the game. (If you do this vs Brutal AI you will get absolutely shat on though).

I always hunted the aliens outside the ship with snipers/a spotter, but there was another bug that would cause anyone inside the ship to come out looking for you around turn 20.

That’s where they walked into an L-shaped ambush made up of all my most reactive shooters :getin:

There was always inevitably one that had to get dug out, but teams of 3 with high reactions were usually pretty good about sorting that out with minimal casualties.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Don’t Waste My Time and Evac All are the 2 big ones I remember.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Now put it on a Reaper with Banish and give her an extended mag :sickos:

This is the way :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

I’m playing Enemy Within again, and always love when Control says “We trust you will handle this with discretion.” As my three MECs with full grenade launchers and power fists suit up.

Uh, sure buddy, going to discreet the gently caress out of this one as I punch a man through a wall and lay down the grenades. Right on it.

Listen, sending a message is important sometimes. More important than staying quiet in the shadows.

Especially when the message you’re sending is “gently caress you, gently caress your cover, drat shame you shitbirds didn’t just stay home” :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Gauss weapons are from Terror from the Deep. There's a lot of little bits of XCOM 2 that are nice little nods to that game, right down to the final base being at the bottom of the ocean.

I forget if it was XCOM 1 or 2, but Central making a crack about chrysallids during a mission and saying “thankfully they aren’t on a cruise ship” made me :gonk: and brought me straight back to hunting for lobstermen and triscenes in random cruise ship closets in TFTD.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

It was the newfoundland mission ew added when you find their nest on a freighter.

Oh right, the ship at the far side of the map.

:cry:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lynx posted:

Has anybody here tried Aliens Dark Descent? I know it's an RTS, but it seems like it might scratch that Xcom itch.

Echoing the above, it scratches the XCOM itch pretty well. Think like if XCOM and a dungeon crawler like Diablo/Diablo 2 had a kid that went off to join the colonial marines, and you’re not too far off.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Also, Don't Waste My Time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If you want something that kinda-sorta scratches the XCOM itch, Aliens: Dark Descent is on sale for cheap frequently-ish. It’s your squad of colonial marines vs hordes of xenomorphs that you tried to sneak by (and failed, because someone in your squad is clumsy and now a queen is enraged/her minions are hunting :twisted: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Now you got me thinking about lobsterman sushi rolls

They sound like they’d be pretty tough, but satisfaction is the best seasoning of all.