Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How did I just find out that Torque's Get Over Here combos with somebody else's Overwatch? This is delightful news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hah, amazing! Do you overwatch on the enemy starting position, ending position, or anywhere in between?

From what I can tell you have to just pull them through the overwatch cone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oddly enough, despite everything this game does wrong the basic tactical gameplay is quite good once you actually get more than two party members. there's a fun game here, covered in complete bullshit.

I gave up because the game wanted me to keep grinding while it felt they kept dangling I believe it was the third character just out of reach (the girl with fire powers, I think). It just got too frustrating. That said I genuinely think the devs are trying to work on stuff but it's probably best to just wait for them to, you know, finish the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've gone back to playing WOTC and did the first rescue mission. The Resistance fighters were hitting so well I wondered if I had a mod installed. Which hindsight was good as I was playing a bit too cautious and was wildly out of position most of the map to do anything but take a few potshots.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

Since i'm in an xcom mood and I can't play chimera squad due to the constant crashing I reinstalled WOTC

the first mission post tutorial I got a reinforcement pod of two stun lancers and a priest :negative: only one person died from that, at least?

I feel that. My last mission I triggered a pod which triggered another pod and it was four MECs and two stun lancers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Four Mutons and two Berserkers are you KIDDING me. (That mission did not end well.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clarste posted:

For what it's worth, I say the story goes nowhere because it feels like they realized that they'd be in Early Access forever if they waited until the story got somewhere so they just rushed out an ending that doesn't resolve any of the main characters' arcs and called it Season 1. In some ways it feels like the entire game is a prologue to the real story that doesn't exist yet?

Also, I used the Lone Hero Irene build for most of the game (after she ended up soloing a mission by accident), but right at the end when they start introducing a billion snipers with Fire Support and melee enemies with anti-counter I decided she needed a more flexible build that wouldn't just run off and die by herself constantly.

So they finally added her so your team can recruit her? When I was playing it mostly felt like I was grinding the same missions over and over again for very little gain and getting nowhere and she was clearly the next 'name' I was supposed to be recruiting but I got frustrated before that happened.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Video game marketing is also extremely paranoid about leaks so actors will sometimes basically get censored scripts where only their own lines are in there - as in they don't even get to see the other half of the conversation they're having.

There was a reason in the guild strike a couple of years ago part of the terms were 'tell us about the character we're playing.' You also hear stories where they're not actually given any direction as to personality so they have to make it up on the fly. The industry likes to pay out for big voice actors but not so much big voice direction.

Synthbuttrange posted:

You miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

And 95% of the ones you do.

I'm sure we've all had soldiers we got attached to in our runs and my first one from XCOM: EU was a female sniper who despite high ground and such would regularly miss her 95% shots but make the crazy 25% shots from downtown. Whatever nickname the game gave her was I forget, but her nickname was Jinx.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Midnight Suns is 75% off in the Steam sale - as someone who REALLY likes XCOM but dislikes marvel generally, is it still worth it?

You know who loves Marvel? Like especially 80s and 90s Marvel and grabs from it with both hands? Jake Solomon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Light Gun Man posted:

I got and started suns and I think the best part is the mechanics of knocking dudes into each other and into hazards. that shits rad.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun and Spidey in particular is good at using the environment which unfortunately can mean if there's not a lot to use Spidey gets a bit pillow fisted.