Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bogart posted:

Backspace to force and turn.

Make sure you have no other actions with other soldiers before you press backspace, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pharmaskittle posted:

I like to blue move to the evac, then take potshots at any enemies in range, then evac because your turn doesn't end.

This is the pro way to do it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Coolguye posted:

smdh if you don't headcanon it as some dude firing wildly as firebrand pulls him up

Heck yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

du -hast posted:

Some questions since I read the OP and page2 and don't really have any answers:

Regarding cover:

Ok if the enemy is like this:

X <-enemy

--- <- barrier with cover
      Y <-- my character

Front has 50% cover. Am I covered at all? Or does my character have to have both side and front cover to be covered?

How many medkits should I do on each mission? I give the silk armor or whatever the earliest developed one is to my rookies.

I haven't finished the one in Saudia Arabia and already Avatar has taken to red boxes. Am I hosed?

I am worried that leveling up my characters in the side quest is going to make me lose the game, b/c by the time they're able to do the loving difficult Saudi Arabia one I'm pretty sure Avatar is gonna have half the world while I'm stuck with punk-rear end Africa.

How long can I spend leveling these guys before I literally lose the game trying to beat the first hard mission.

I don't understand cover really at all, like what cover angles protect you. Obviously if an enemy is straight ahead then you have 50% cover but diagonally is a goddamn mystery to me. Also it's really a pain in the loving rear end when you're in cover for one enemy, and another 3 just happen to spawn immediately while that side has no cover and wipe you out instantly, despite being careful during this process. Is there any way to know what angle the enemy is gonna spawn at to avoid being spawn killed?

Basically I want to play this game but the cover thing is fuckign me up and it's impossible to get my characters to a decent level without Avatar already having taken 2 squares and I assume on the way to taking more.

/rant

you're basically covered unless you are fully flanked; bring one medkit; don't worry too much about the avatar gauge and just work towards facilities or plot missions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just started playing xcom 2 today. I have played the older xcom games, but don't really know what I am doing here. So far giving my ranger the axes and the +2 melee damage skill has turned her into the deadlist member of my squad by a good margin. Not really sure what I should be prioritizing when it comes to the campaign map or research. I am just kind of going to each event as they come up, and completing them.

On the campaign map you should be prioritizing heading towards the various locked facilities, with a side detour towards unlocking the continent bonuses if they're really good (reusable weapon parts and PCSs are really good)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

build a flashbang and bring it immediately

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

marshmallow creep posted:

See, I had been doing that, but these load times are so fast I don't have time to press it.

I want to be in this reality

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Stephen9001 posted:

It came with the resistance warrior pack. It's an option for those wearing the resistance warrior armour.

There's definitely a mod that allows the sleeves (and EXALT sleeves) to be chosen alone, for that armor-over-sweater look

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I enjoyed hard west

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Theron posted:

So, in the interest of dressing up my space barbies the best to kill aliens when the expansion hits, what are some of the better mods out there for customization?

capnbubs is the gold standard, titanfall gear has some interesting options, there's a new prosthetics mod out that's pretty cool

I have far too many of these to do off the top of my head, so I'll fill in a big list later

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh i think there's some really detailed Halo armor sets if you're into that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ravenfood posted:

Any good dress up packs for lategame gear? Most of them seem like they work best for T12/t2 stuff and those tiers, especially T1, has the most vanilla variety on top of that. I don't even mind the aesthetic of Warden armor, I just want more variety.
i believe there's a pack called Warden Armors that's exactly that, and I think there's also a pack that re-imports the EW armors back into the game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There's a Sneak Suit mod and a Section 9 mod that are really good even if you don't care about their source material

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

add grimy's loot mod and lw2 classes and then powergame through wave com

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maluco Marinero posted:

Oh geez so much work coming up to do compatibility.

yeah we'll see how that all works out, but i was just posting what I was doing to kill xcom time while I wait for WotC

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Spart's stuff is fantastic

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pull up thread, pull up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

temple posted:

Should wait for the expansion before getting this or get it now?

At this point I'd wait

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Alchenar posted:

The both new XCOMs feel like they've really struggled to place the robot classes - in the originals they were there as an ablative HP platform that would never improve but which used sensibly could keep your rookies a bit more alive and only cost money to replace. Firaxis kept the 'not as good as a veteran human' bit but without the mass attrition of the originals and with much much tighter resource constraints they're just a sub-optimal choice.

In XCOM2 SPARKS literally cost more than a human recruit, you should get more for your investment than not-quite-as-good-grenadier with a gremlin. The left skill tree should have cool firearms based poo poo like squadsight-suppression, the right skill tree should take Wrecking Ball as a starting point and turn your SPARK into a room-breaching murder blade machine which punches out Sectopods.

EW MECs were complete murder-shithouses and you should have gotten one ASAP

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nordick posted:

I think these propaganda posters speak volumes even without words

oh no

Bogart posted:

impossible. xcom knows nothing of loss

WELP

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Any word on how cosmetic mods are doing so far? Any day 1 qol mods like Gotcha+ / numeric health / evac all that still need updating, or?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the first time i ever saw the hunter I never got a shot off before he grappled into a mass of resistance fighters and got killed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Performance is miles better with WotC than without on PC

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eschatos posted:

So I'm generally against save scumming, but every now and then something happens that is just egregious bullshit. I'm on my sixth attempted Ironman Commander campaign, doing the second supply raid. My squad has picked up a few wounds, currently sandwiched between the Assassin and her robot buddy on one side and a flock of lost on the other side. My skirmisher has taken the most damage, and is currently standing on an elevated platform in a warehouse with two lost directly underneath. I then decide to take out the lost first since they're an easy kill. My nearby grenadier lines up a shot, kills a lost, and in the same shot takes out the platform my skirmisher is standing on, sending her plummeting to her death. That earned itself an instant Alt+F4.

that sounds like operator error

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's one of those things that both LW games fixed iirc by making the environment more durable

I still remember how obnoxious XCOM1 could be when a thin man would blow away your high cover like it was a piece of detachable plastic and then the 2nd thin man would just 1 shot that dude who isn't in cover anymore

Feels like it breaks the rules of the game so I can't blame him

poo poo my bad i thought the first person blew it up with a grenade

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Backhand posted:

Yay, way to.... not quite die, I guess?

sounds about right, really

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MacheteZombie posted:

e: the warlock in my campaign is weak to close range attacks and immune to melee :(

t a l o n r o u n d s

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Danaru posted:

Completely blew alpha-striking the King Viper because I forgot he can immediately react when I move, so he froze two of my dudes when I repositioned. :cripes: He's only got four health now so it'll be a treat when he reappears again.

I also uh, started the facility mission with an extra soldier I've never met before. He had no headshot on the hud or anything, and I stepped away while loading to grab some water so I didn't hear if Bradford introduced him, but he had the plasma rifle and armour you'd expect from a rookie. I'm pretty sure I haven't changed any of my orders, and the only new continent bonus is that I get supply drops instantly. Anyone know what that's about?

do you have the order that gives you a chance for resistance soldiers? that's exactly what that sounds like.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maluco Marinero posted:

Nearly every enemy is scary as hell if you let them get hits in. I had a Chrysallid mission that was a total run away once they got in to the civilians.

There's no real patch it out solution to the alpha strike dynamics of the game, that ultimately even late game targets are more like differently decorated targets rather than enemies with their own personality.

People more readily identify with Stun Lancers & Mutons as a source of grief simply because they appear at a point in the game where the enemy has the capacity to hurt you.

It's a shame really, cause there's so much good stuff in the game content wise, but it's undermined by the general dynamics of combat in many ways that suck the novelty out of repeating the experience, for me at least.

were you the person that wrote the mod that changes actions to individual initiative to avoid some of the ability (on both sides) to alpha strike?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

redreader posted:

I have war of the chosen on my ssd and never want to play base xcom 2 again. I was making some space when I realised there are two giant folders side by side for xcom 2, and for WOTC. I knew people had said 'it's two separate exe files' but it seems to mean it's two separate installs. Can I trash some files from xcom 2 if I don't intend to play it again, I just indend to play WOTC? (making some space for shadow of war)

do you have literally anything else at all you can uninstall / delete

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Light Gun Man posted:

I've installed a shitload of mods but man I still find myself wanting clothing options that just aren't there.

Anyone seen like a karate gi or any kind of extra modern day / business kinda clothing? I keep wanting to make dumb characters in suits and stuff and there's like three torsos I keep using over and over.

I believe the combination of resistance gear mods and allow full customization mods allows you to get a suit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eraflure posted:

Yeah, gives them better range which in turn gives rangers better cover options which means it improves their mobility.

if you want to do this just give them a rifle. Shotguns should get laser sights and extended mags, maybe hair triggers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If I'm getting weird behavior after changing mod configurations, what's the main ini file I need to delete?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

If I'm getting weird behavior after changing mod configurations, what's the main ini file I need to delete?

it's everything in Documents\My Games\XCOM 2\XComGame\Config\ according to -bg-

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Light Gun Man posted:

Neat. Does the mod loader keep any manual changes you've made? It stores the mods separately so I'm guessing maybe?

if you delete that directory everything reverts to its defaults

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Samovar posted:

Anyone else finding their mods aren't functioning correctly? When I try to load my game I get a bunch of warnings for all of them.

this happened to me on my first launch after the big patch, just exit and restart and everything worked fine the second time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jfood posted:

It takes a while... a long while, but you can edit the inis so only certain weapons appear in the game. I trimmed it down to about five or six that I really wanted to use and the screen loading is pretty much back to instant.

is there a way, by doing this, to ditch the 'standard' weapons?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ThermosAquaticus posted:

So the original reboot (Enemy unknown/within) is on sale now - worth picking up? Or would the lack of xcom2 improvements annoy me?

if you buy it, you gotta get EW.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jblade posted:

say goodbye to modding, say hello to cosmetic lootboxes for your soldiers customisation needs!

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RBA Starblade posted:

XDOOM, where every action is run and gun!

yesssssss