Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

There's a picture of miscaptioned as being the Ford GT but is actually the SMP Racing Ferrari there.

It's the one before the pic of the timing tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

IMSA GTD (GT3 specs) is good, but IMSA GTLM looks like it might be completely nuts this year.

Certainly LeMans is going to be fairly mental. The Corvettes, 911s and Fords from the US meet the Aston Martins, Ferraris and er... Fords from the WEC.

So many good cars, and that's even ignoring that the amateur cars can absolutely fight with them if they gently caress up even a little bit.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

LM-spec Am cars are going to be 2015 spec this year but that may still allow them to be dangerous in the 24. But for the sprint races, yeah, forget it.

Yeah, and I quite like that actually.

It lowers the incentive to "cheat" the driver rankings to get into the Am class but also means lower budgets for the Am guys.

I assume that's how Andrew Howard's managed to put together the package to run the Beachdean entry with AMR, which is where my cheerleading will be going.

That said, I'm REALLY going to enjoy the Ford UK v US meta-race.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh god.

I'd rather have actual Maldonado.

At least most of the other CEO ride buyers are either competent or polite.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It always is. Ginetta Jrs is basically any given karting championship but someone thought to give 14 year olds a 3 figure number of horsepower.

It's glorious.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm watching that expecting him to clout the wall with every rotation.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The team is currently 1st, 2nd and 24th in the championship. His best race result was 18th, by 8 places.

In only one race did he beat another Honda and the competition there consists of 2 other late 40s part timers in year old cars and a rookie in a team that has never run a Honda, also in a year old car. In race 1 he finished a single place ahead of one of those, was 2 and 4 cars behind the same car in the others.

None of this should have been news to Team Dynamics so I can only assume we start at "The cheque was made of rubber".

Pablo Bluth posted:

The original Autosport story, now amended, suggested he might be a person non-grata with TOCA not just the team.

Andrew Jordan tweeted and then deleted that it sucks when a team is let down by a driver.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 14, 2016

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Man, I wanted Ford to win, but not like this. Hope ACO fixes their BoP before Saturday, or all those turbos blow :colbert:

I assume they can't, otherwise Ford would not have been so stupid as to show their hand.

That said, don't worry there's no way the GTs are making the end at full speed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Norns posted:

Is the 67 just racing for data or what?

Well it's not a huge class, it's probably worth a punt.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Meanwhile on Eurosport we get Liz Halliday and thus win forever the battle of women pundits.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

There's been surprisingly little hilarity of any kind.

I mean Krohn spun but.... you know.

The only actual CRASH has been a Porsche.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

Only logical place in motorsport for it, use a standard P2 car as a base and prove it can handle running in faster, slower and same speed traffic without directly competing and having to go wheel to wheel with other cars.

Fair but I wonder if they'd take the risk of it loving up and ploughing through a slow zone at 200

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Same "Tracey Krohn's driving" joke as in IRC goes here

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I.....

wow.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Eurosport got it instantly too.

The telementary, which was live on the screen at the time made it pretty clear it wasn't going above 120mph either.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be fair, Bernie was a little unlucky that it all went south at LeMans as the F1s were on their formation lap.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Poor Delta wing, still having issues :(

Given they're running to an entirely different ruleset and can pretty much be as slow as they like and be BoPed up to competitive, how the gently caress is it still so unreliable?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

IMSA is ending PC as expected after next year, but it won't be replaced. Series going down to 3 classes.

The sweetener here though is, to encourage those drivers into P itself, the leading Pro-Am Prototype entry gets a guaranteed grid slot in P2 at LeMans.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The fucker deserved it though. The one he punched had just forced him onto the grass at the fastest part of the circuit and caused the crash.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nissan canning a works motorsport program before they race would save some time.

More efficient than their BTCC/LeMans approaches of being loving awful then leaving mid season.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be fair, that's basically what they did in BTCC, they just provided the tools to a bunch of loving idiots.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

track day bro! posted:

I remember Nissan being pretty drat good during the supertouring era, was there another point when this happened?

Just last year.

Nissan got bored after 2 rounds when the team were fairly hopeless, they then proceeded to get sued by the driver who wasn't the team principal's son, lost one of their licences for not bothering to field the 2nd car, didn't pay any of their bills and were kicked out of the series at the end of the year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

julian assflange posted:

Congratulations Toyota 2017 WRC champions

Now come on, surely Hyundai's 11th all new car in about 3 years will finally be any good.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, he's starting to get a touch of the Onslow-Cole's here in terms of going through all the teams.

Shoulda stuck with his comfy setup at his dad's team.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Have ByKolles even confirmed their return?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I can't see anyone paying for both a top flight F1 and LMP1 program

A top flight LMP program is of course the problem they've had in the past.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nah, it'll be the third car Andy Neate briefly stunk up in 2016.

Simpson was supposed to have that ride last year but couldn't pony up enough cash.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

Rumors was that Tordoff was taking up a day job, which is why he didn't seem that bothered about losing the title.

He's never given up his day job, he's an accountant.

VW were never in BTCC, but you're getting your teams mixed up. The VW that were build by Team HARD have been bought back by Team HARD from BKR/BMR. PowerMaxed used a pair of fairly ancient Chevrolets last year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, I'd imagine you could pick up something faster, cheaper.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

That's a pretty meh art car from BMW.

I really really really hope we get another manufacturer into LMP1, I don't want to whiplash from an amazing era to implosion THAT quickly. I mean, it's sports cars, it's inevitable, but still.

Yeah, subsequent year LMP1 car counts as LeMans could very easily go 14, 9, 5. And that's assuming ByKolles really do decide to run when they're literally the only ones in LMP1L.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's a very weird sport where you lose your job for being judged too good.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Hah.

Although they did replace them with 3 former LeMans winners.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BMB5150 posted:

I'm not shocked there gonna be close if not at GTP speeds. They were talking how at Le Mans, P2 cars are going P1 08-09 speeds let alone the DPi's being a little bit faster than stock P2s.

They may have been talking about it but it's not close to true.

Pole at LeMans in 2008 was 3:18. LMP2 pole this year was a 3:36. Hell, LMP2 pole was a couple of seconds quicker in 2008 than 2016 thanks to the Porsche Spyder Evos.

The arse end of the LMP1 field in 2008 was doing those times but those were ancient Courage and Creation cars.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"The BTCC is for works teams"

With that depth of knowledge how can they fail!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, they also all have indicators and horns too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

VikingSkull posted:

if the FIA is a restaurant it's Chic-Fil-A

Can't be, Chic-Fil-A is popular in the USA.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm Crap posted:

Well, he'd only be a small fraud if he hadn't won four titles, wouldn't he? Seriously though, it took an incredible amount of things going his way for that to happen: Toyota's ban, Colin McRae always crashing out from the lead at crucial moments, Carlos Sainz's constant unbelievable bad luck... what year was it Sainz's car literally died 200 meters from the end of the season?

1998, and yes it directly handed Tommi that championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Essentially it's the Manor that went bankrupt in F1 2 years ago.

• Locked thread