Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

seizure later posted:

running someone down as draaaaaaaven feels the worst because you'll often outrun your axe blades and either have to step back to pick it up and have to use your speed boost again to catch back up or you drop the axe and suddenly all your damage is gone. it's an annoyance that you just don't have to think about with any other adc.

They actually tried to change that to allow maximum speed kiting but Draven players complained and they reverted it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

exethan posted:

my sunday sivir adventures: overall 13.6 kda and 8.2 cs per minute

The season 2 Taric/Sivir lane owns, props to you and Telly for bringing it back.

The w crits really are huge, and her ult already leant she was pretty much going to be useful no matter what.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

As Amumu they just kind of trundle away after I bandage them.

In addition to the advice given already, take alternative gank paths aside from River/the respective tri bushes: sneak into the lane bush when your laner is shoving, let them push past it and gank (or just sneak in as they go to shove your laner under tower). Try not to stack slows (i.e. red + blue smite, or abilities) and whatnot and remember that you can just do a u turn and come gank again asap if you blow a flash!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe we should make a discord channel?

Although lord knows I mismanaged the Silversquid tourney into oblivion the chat channel itself is really good.

The 50 member cap seems arbitrary as hell...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Caterpillar is kinda bad since it's both a straight recolor and a straight downgrade to one of his best skins, but I'll concede that point. Rumble gets second place.

Sonoran's also pretty bad, but Fireworkmaw can make up for a lot.

Imo corki is pretty solid, except for Red Baron. Heimer also has a bunch of really solid skins.

E: although snow day bard is the best skin in the game and bard is the best aesthetics of any champ so he of course wins overall.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Libertine posted:

I think I've played maybe more Thresh than anyone here (if there's someone I'm forgetting, apologies), including long stretches of playing nearly only Thresh in ranked 5s with Goons in the previous two seasons and a lot of games in solo queue ranked. I don't think Thresh is fantastic right now, he's certainly something you CAN play with anything and is versatile and flexible, but I don't actually have a lot of scenarios where I can say "Thresh is the objectively best pick to make" so I mainly only play him now when I want to have a fun game throwing hooks and lanterns.

Thresh's major downsides besides the obvious of his mechanical complexity:
1a) Nerfs to his base kit over the years have left him as one of the least durable hard engage support champions in the game. You have to engage some fights to win games as Thresh and he isn't durable to survive the burst rotation of really any well farmed carry of an enemy team unless he can totally pick and disable them.

1b) Subsequently, he is great in chaotic skirmish games, but he's really underwhelming in a straight-up 5v5 team fight which is what a lot of win-or-lose the game scenarios come down to in solo queue.

2a) He has no reliable way to make use of any of the Keystone masteries. Looks like most solo queue and pro players 50/50 on Thunderlord's and Bond of Stone and neither of them are fantastic on Thresh, both of them can end up liabilities if you position him poorly.

2b) I really think supports who can proc Windspeaker's Blessing on many people are the strongest supports right now. The win-rates fairly broadly reflect that. Giving your team a bunch of free resists just for existing and using your abilities gives you a lot of "hidden power" over the course of the fight. Especially if you aren't mechanically flawless as a support player, things like Janna, Soraka, Alistar, Nami, Taric, and Sona are all pretty straightforward to play and you can just blast Windspeaker's all over your team.

I think I've played a pretty similar number of Thresh games (maybe a handful more across smurfs) and I pretty much agree. This is the first season since his release that he hasn't been my most played champ. I think he still does have a place in pick/skirmish comps, but his former roles as one of the best generalist support picks has in many ways been taken over by Bard, and he often end up feeling like a very fragile choice (especially late game versus LW items).

His lantern is still gamechanging, and it seems as though at higher levels that's a big part of why he gets picked, but with the Kalista nerfs his lane combo with her will probably fall off a bit more in popularity.

For keystones, I think he's best when he can go Thunderlords and snowball a lane advantage, but that isn't possible in a lot of matchups and can hit or miss -- I personally think the 45% cdr is more compelling than any keystone, but it does mean that you're even squishier.

He's definitely balanced around a high skillcap, but at this point in solo queue is still around 48% despite the fact that the average number of games players have on him is 91, the highest among supports, which does raise questions about the theory that people who don't play support defaulting to him can explain it.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

he's pretty much been left alone for the past like 10 patches, he's always been really neat and fun to play, just most players have never played against him and don't expect the amount of burst he brings to a lane at level 1, and for whatever reason have a silly compulsion to chase after him in his portals, which makes it silly easy to set up a stun

couple that with some pretty substantial burst and ignite, and you can conceivably kill ADCs, midlaners, or assassins that chase you through the portal

Yeah, after the last round of buffs a while back he's pretty much been the best generalist support, and has seen a lot of pro play because of it.

RE: items, I personally think that if you want damage on Bard RFC is an especially good choice, because it gives you increased dps but also gives you a lot more pick potential with the increased range auto + meep slow, which is a lot of utility.

I generally favor more of an AS approach to building damage on Bard, especially because imo getting off more autos during a stun or in a fight to get off more meep empowered hits seems preferable to using his AP ratios and whatnot, but I could see an argument for something else.

Whatever you go though, keep in mind that there are hugely diminished returns on stacking slows iirc, so stuff like Rylais or Iceborn Gauntlet aren't actually particularly good on him, although the latter seems to be popular.

When I get to 6 items versus heavy tank teams I've gone BotRK a few times, which is definitely wrong but also very satisfying.

The caveat to all this dps talk, of course, is that Bard has really good base damage, and wants CDR and tank stats in most situations, so I think it's very, very rarely the right choice to build damage on Bard if you want an optimal build. But it is the fun choice, so who's to say that it's truly wrong, and when you're snowballing it's really fun.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Heehee Hartlocks posted:

their official clubs announcement page said 100 members so it's all good

quoting for new page

Can't get on League, but inv "pls no bm" pls.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Replace the level 20 with silver 3 or whatever they actually are and it's totally reasonable. Ranked matchmaking below like Diamond/Challenger has always been ok imo outside of boosted accounts.

E: to be clear, that's just the program you're using not updating it, which is probably more on them. Sometimes it also happens when no one has looked up a particular account for a while -- various plugins/sites will lag behind on elo or levels or whatever.

E2: that guy also shows as s5 plat but with no games played season 5; op.gg's just hosed.

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 15, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^ also that, holy poo poo. And the small sample size, for that matter.

Killed By Death posted:

Varus ADC has both a higher playrate and winrate than Varus mid though?

FWIW, it looks like people who play Varus ADC generally have a good number more games played on him than people who play him mid. FWIW, it looks like it's almost entirely mid Varus on probuilds, so it does seem like at some point in elo his role assignment does switch, just not before Plat.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That assumes that there aren't people who will alternate between stomping and trolling to keep themselves artificially low. That and it also assumes that somebody will get thoroughly crushed ten games in a row and keep playing.

Yeah the "get crushed 10 times" is a pretty huge barrier to retaining players. From my time leveling smurfs, there also is a pretty consistent influx of people who get banned, make a new account, and get banned or temp banned quickly enough a second time that they rotate through. Toxic and stompy games is a bad recipe for a newbie experience.

Imo aram is the best way to level accounts, but at low levels there are a bunch of bots and that still doesn't really help a new player transition to Summonerds rift.

Fake edit: I think I'm keeping the typo it seems more accurate

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

e: Me too.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

For my fellow bronze/silver players:

Learn Lux. No one in this elo can dodge a skillshot. She's gross. And I am bad at this game.

And the good news is, she's gross all the way up to diamond! She's been one of the highest win rate mids in a real long while, so otp that poo poo and climb.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

How are you getting S-ranks on support? I've gone 1/2/25 on matches where our team gets 30 kills and only gotten A+.

I think damage dealt/warding may play a factor as well.

Since the chest system I've gotten mostly S's, but score doesn't seem to have a ton to do with it: a 0-1-17 game was an S-, a 6-0-11 game was an S- as well, and a 3-5-23 Morg game was an S+.

I do consistently score 1 or 2 on my team in damage though, ward a ton, and usually farm more than other supports. I suspect that the first one in particular is weighted pretty heavily, maybe along with healing done or something.

That said, in the jungle a 12-8-12 Fiddle game was an S+ and I've generally found it easier to get S ranks in the jungle if you just farm and have a decentish kda, so vOv. I'm definitely worse at jungling, and I can do it, so you can too! Try playing tanks that bring a lot of utility (i.e. Amumu, Gragas) and just play like a tanky, roaming support.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Weighting objectives would explain a lot-- that fiddle game I got drag on spawn from when I solo'd it at lvl 4 and did a good bit of counterjungling which probably helped too.

I also think vision is often pretty weak in solo q, so that's a pretty easy metric to outperform in.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah, I think that tells you a lot.

This is pretty interesting. I would have thought Darius would be played (even if he's a bit weak atm) or Rumble what with the jungle Rumble thing supposedly being popular there. It does look like a lot of the champs have just a handful of players, or one person with a pocket pick anyway (i.e. Heimer).

Some of the item builds are a bit wonky -- Key's Bard items are Eye of the Watcher, Sightstone, FQC, and Spirit Visage -- but overall pretty cool. Mostly what I learned from the Bard pages is that you can pretty much have any combination of either type of pen, ms, as, attack damage, ap, armor, mr and mana and be fine. Which validates my dumb experiments somewhat, and means I'm going to need more rune pages.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Killed By Death posted:

As far as I can tell, their statement only says they were getting paid less than other freelance casters for other games (Hearthstone, DOTA etc), not that they were getting paid less than Riot's own broadcast team?

My impression is that the Riot employees are already paid a competitive salary that they are not, so even if the amount they get for one event is similar, or even if the OGN guys are paid specifically for the event and the Riot casters aren't, there still seems to be very uneven compensation.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Bliss Authority posted:

His stars apply spell effects. Rylais shot up to my top priority items for him.

Yeah, they talk about that specific interaction in the Champ Spotlight (but you have to listen to Phreak for way too many minutes to get to that bit).

I think Echoes --> Sorcs --> Rylais seems like a decent core (as people have said). He has pretty low cds, so I don't think you'd have to itemize much into CDR rather than HP/AP/resists, but I dunno. Maybe swifties for kiting with stars and whatnot, but I guess we'll see.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Maybe I'll just give up and play Amumu.

Go for a Runic Echoes --> Abbysal start and you can transition to tank but still poo poo out damage early. Yi is ok, but if Riot keeps nerfing his tankier builds imo he'll get less and less reliable. Amumu, otoh, is probably just going to sit near the top of solo queue win rates forever.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^ Bard 6th or 5th or any item BotRK is great and I have a 100% win rate on it. Over 3 games. On a smurf in silver...

It turns out Hextech crafting pretty much means I can always just unlock new champs that way, and spend my IP on dumb runes and name changes..

I just bought a full set of scaling armor quints and critical damage runes with my newfound wealth.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I mean it would be better if you couldn't get stuff you already own, especially if it swapped over champion shards to skin ones if you own all the champs. For whatever reason I've gotten a majority champion shards, which I can't do anything until a champ releases, at which point I'll presumably have another pile of them to get rid of. Still free stuff though.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Neat. Can anyone give advice on how to build him because champion.gg has him at a 46% win rate; but I understand that's mostly because he has a 10% play-rate and people who don't know how to play him/pick him on the right teams are losing games at champ select.

There's a lot of ways to build Bard, and especially in terms of runes a lot of approaches are strong in their own way. In general though:

Run Flash/Ignite 90% of the time, he has a ton of early lane pressure and base damage and you really want to be able to capitalize on that/bring damage for roams. Versus all assassins you can go exhaust, but he has a lot of cc options already/ways to stop allins and it can be tough to justify giving up that much power.

For masteries, I think 0/18/12 with Thunderlords is the best way to build him, but there's some debate.

For runes, pick and choose a combo of the following:

Reds: Hybrid pen, Magic Pen, Attack Speed, AD
Yellows: Health, Armor
Blues: Magic resist, mana/5 (imo not a great option b.c you get so much from chimes, but some ppl do it), AP, AP/lvl or CDR if you have a specific build in mind.
Quints: Armor/HP, MS, AP

I would look at probuilds or the like to get a better idea of what are good combinations of these. IMO the best Bards to watch/emulate are Wolf & Madlife in the LCK and Aphromoo in NA. However, all of the above runes have been used by Bard players in high elo and it's very much personal preference. I have 3 or 4 different Bard pages I swap in and out, but honestly a standard AD reds page with AP or AS quints and tank yellows/blues will do just fine.

Items:

You want to build tanky cdr as a general guideline.

Always start spellthiefs, but from there you can go FQC or Eye of the Watchers, depending on how many wards your team can provide/if the ghost active is useful/whether or not you need to just rush for Aegis.

The other 'almost always build' item is Locket, or if you don't need the tankiness Banner, but at a high level it's pretty much all Locket.

For boots, you can go either Swifties, Mobos or Lucidity. I personally choose one of the first two if I'm roaming heavily and am going to build a Mikhaels/Zekes or other CDR items and choose Lucidity if I want to go straight to a tankier build.

For flex items, Mikhaels/Zekes are pretty popular. Use these if you go MS boots, or have a strong carry to protect. Generally very solid options on Bard.

Frozen Heart, despite being imo a bit weak at the moment, is very good on Bard -- he can keep people just in the aura pretty easily, and if you go swifties/mobos FH can go a long way towards getting you to 40% cdr.

Randuins and Spectres Cowl are both fine tank items, as well as Zz'rot if you're capped on cdr and need the pushing power.

Iceborn Gauntlet is something a lot of people like on him, that does give him stats he likes, but with the way slow stacking works you don't get much out of the passive when it procs on a meep-empowered auto. I personally never build it, but a decent number of people do.

As for when to pick him, he's pretty versatile and there aren't any auto-loss matchups. That said, he is pretty weak to Blitzcrank all-ins, Soraka can outsustain him pretty well, and Sona can often outdps in early trades. Even those matchups, that statistically are low 40% win rate for Bard are still mostly skill matchups, and even if you lose in lane you can go roam and get advantages elsewhere. IMO he's the strongest generalist support at the moment, post the Thresh nerfs and his buffs.

e: the caveat to him being strong & versatile is that he also does have a pretty high skillcap, and while you're figuring out how to play him it can involve a lot of feeding and bad ults. But imo he's incredibly rewarding to learn, he was my first Mastery 5 champ and is definitely my favorite character in the game. As you've probably gathered from a lot of other posters, he's got a v dedicated player base.

There's a lot to playing him, I would look on /r/summonerschool or /r/bardmains for challenger level guides, there are some surprisingly good ones. Or watch Aphromoo/Wolf/Madlife vods/streams. The former has really solid roaming play, Wolf is good all-around, and Madlife pretty much hard carries with his bard ults.

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 31, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

So I gambled with skins in the hextech poo poo and got yellow Akali. I've been trying her out and what the gently caress is the secret behind her? I've done marginally alright as tank Akali but I still struggle during the laning phase even post-6 unless my jungler shows up to help.

I actually don't think she matches up that well in the top lane against current meta champs -- Trundle steals her tank stats, Poppy 1v1s her throughout the game, others are too tanky to kill etc.

Play the laning phase to survive in a lot of matchups, unless you see gank kill pressure/the enemy misplays. Afterwards, where Akali really shines is being a huge disruptive force on the backline in teamfights imo. The top laner on my 5s team plays her a lot and generally he can either get to the carries and kill them or distract them long enough to take the fight. TP/roam timings are very important imo.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I'm now 20-3 on Nautilus this season. Why are people still not banning him every game?????

It's amazing you've gotten to play him so often, in plat+ he's the 4th most banned champ in the game. I'm honestly not sure when he was last open in one of my draft games. I guess just keep picking him -- there are a lot of really strong champs at the moment, but sometimes ban rates just don't make sense (i.e., why is Raka not p/b every game? Why is Fiora banned 20% of the time) and there's a pretty big disconnect/lag between champ power and ban rates.

Godspeed.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Someone give me a Bard jungle build ASAP!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Echos -> Some Sheen item -> Swifties -> Voidstaff -> Tanky poo poo

Go thunderlords.

Oof ty, about to try this.

First game, went Echoes --> Iceborne --> Swifties --> Locket, and strength of ages which was a terrible mistake.

Second, Echoes --> Locket --> CDR boots --> FH --> DMP with Tlords, much more successful. I think I also like red smite or trackers, tried blue the first game and it was kinda redundant.

Maybe lichbane or some poo poo next game for the movespeed.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Just so you know I am pulling this out of my rear end.

If it fails, troll'd. If it works, I'm a loving genius.

TBH that's every Bard jungle build. I think void 3rd is mb too greedy, but we'll see. I might slot it in a bit later -- this account is in like low Gold elo, so games last a really long time and I'll prolly get to 4 or 5 item anyway.

I'm also considering the Devourer --> RFC Bard, but idk.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Best jungle Bard build: red smite devourer, conclusively proven over three games.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^^^
Flash feast 2.0.

Hopefully it will have a similar travel speed as LeBlanc w or even Ahri ultimate so I can make those sick flay denies. This is definitely one of those items that'll be tough to judge until it comes out.

It does seem interesting but definitely a prime candidate for "strong on X champ, let's nerf champ and then the item" as people have suggested.

foutre fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 7, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I think Yorick in particular is especially broken, probably something to do with ghouls/ult. And the system in general being hosed.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Ascension is only good with fun characters like soraka snow day bard and bard/

Nid is actually pretty fun as well, pouncing around in between denying caps with your spears is great.

VVVV True.

foutre fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 10, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

re: the earlier discussion about champ shards being pointless for people who already have all the champions, in the thread when asked about it they said:

"The champion complaint is totally legit. We have a solution in the works and are going to add alternative uses for champion shards and/or blue essence in the future."

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Elentor posted:

Yeah... pretty much. For those who don't know, depending on what type of player you're playing against, playing defensively but not overly so like that can win you the game against crazy odds in some situations. Some low-ranked challenger players are one-trick ponies that rely on extreme aggression. If they pick a champion that desperately depends on getting fed you can increase your odds a lot by simply not dying, which is easier said than done. If you're, say, gold, and manage to bait and get a kill - which is REALLY not uncommon if you watch those "bronze to challenger" streams, you have to make sure not to throw the advantage again. Getting one or two kills against someone who's overwhelmingly better than you won't stop that person from murdering you and take the advantage back if they want. You can either play safe as long as you can keep up in farm or try to gank other lanes and players who are more vulnerable, but you'll probably be baited and outsmarted if you decide to go one on one even with a gold advantage.

That happens a lot in streams when you see high elo players against low elo. If you're like me, not a particularly mechanically good player, you play the wait game and wait until the enemy make a positioning mistake. That mistake usually comes in the shape of being arrogant and disrespecting your opponent. Because of the snowbally nature of the game most people in LoL do that constantly.

If instead you're worried about improving, against every player overwhelmingly better than you the best practice if you don't care about what others think is to accept your miserable defeat, try your best to play normally, get your rear end kicked, then watch the replay over and over and see what they're doing that you're not. Also, while playing the game goes way beyond laning, if you can get someone better than you to duel you as a different champion and then reverse the match you'll get a huge load of data on what you're doing wrong if you lose both match-ups.

Oof, I've been getting to experience this. I'm playing mid in my school's mini-LCS tourney, and out of the 8 teams 3 of the other mids are Masters/Challenger now or in S5. Over the last ~6 months of playing versus them I've actually gotten a good bit better at surviving lane. In the first few months I would generally get solo-killed mid at least once a game, from overstaying or going out of position, but that happens very rarely now. Instead, my problem is that I've been so conditioned to playing incredibly safely that even when I get first blood on one of them (only in like 2 out of the last 8 game) I have trouble pushing my advantage and often end up getting out-farmed and out-roamed anyway.

At a certain point, they just are just strictly better than I am and that's some of it, but I think the skill that most differentiates them from the other Plat/low Diamond mid laners is how efficient they are with their backs and roams. Even if I put even pressure on the map, they seem to find better timings for everything and inevitably end up 3 or 4 waves ahead at 20 minutes. Just watching how replays to see them manage waves/pressure is really illuminating.

It's frustrating in game but definitely has been a great way to improve, 10/10 would get wrecked again.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

^^^ 100% to being a goddamn noob.

Darth Windu posted:

And I tell them "stay golden ponyboy"
This is the best thing, truly Bard reveals new and exciting mechanics every day.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Guy who tried it out at first, try out some of these item combos and see if you like them:

1) Echoes

Core ) Sunfire/Abyssal/Rylais

Late/Team comp dependent) Frozen Heart, Spirit Visage, ZZ'Rot

If you just prefer RoA, go for it, but for having fun playing AP mummy you might like these better!

RE Builds in general:

You can always build sub-optimally at any level, but RoA rush Amumu into Cinderhulk doesn't make that much sense.

Echoes -- Sunfire / Abyssal / Rylais will give you a similar midgame spike as RoA and will also give you the tools to make plays and get gold to reach that spike faster. In a vacuum RoA is a good generic item for anyone who wants mana/hp/AP, which is most of the cast that uses mana, but you have to look at the opportunity cost of going for it.

You're emphasizing Amumu's weaknesses and sacrificing your early game in order to get a pretty comparable return in the mid/late game.

If you want to go the AoE AP tank route, Echoes --> Sunfire --> Abyssal is basically strictly better at the moment, and has enough synergy with his kit and the other items that it will give you a better spike than a scaling stat stick + late cinderhulk.

If you want to go more heavily into AP snowballing, Rylais/Liandries have incredibly high win rates on Amumu and their passives synergize with his kit really well in a way that isn't captured by gold efficiency stats alone.

If you need to go so tanky that you can't afford to go Echoes, Cinderhulk into FH and full tank gives you more utility and faster tank stats so you can do your job earlier (although I think that's worse than the Sunfire/Abyssal core, but hey).

It's not an indefensible purchase, but if you want to do damage there are better options (and more fun imo), if you want to be tanky there are better options, and if you want a mix there are better options at well. At that point it's safe to say that it's relatively bad. You could win games, and could win games because of the efficient midgame power spike, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't on average have won more games with a better build. If it's just fun, go for it, but just because you can succeed with weird poo poo at lower levels doesn't mean there aren't better options for winning at those low levels!

e: I don't think the 15% extra bonus hp is going to mean that much in terms of meaningful tankiness, but I guess I'll try it out now that I've been rude about it for a while and find out. My instinct is that the cdr and damage from other items would let you be net more disruptive than just being able to take more hits anyway, which is a v. important part of tanking, but I might be wrong!

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 14, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I run 10% so that I can cap out on heavy AP supports, a la Brand/Zyra/Vel'koz, but otherwise it does end up being excessive. On those champs I'd generally rather build more AP than the last 10% of cdr, although even in those edge cases straight AP is definitely reasonable. Sometimes on Morg I'll go CDR runes if I think that I'm going to rush Zhonyas, but if the game goes past the FQC/Locket/Zhonyas core it gets awkward.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

It seems like it would be easy to do the math to try and determine whether or not 10% CDR from runes or AP from runes is more gold efficient.

Flat CDR is slightly more gold efficient than AP, and scaling cdr is definitely more gold efficient than flat AP (at least as of season 5, maybe it's changed since then). As mentioned above, that different champs scale better off different stats (although imo 40% cdr is probably optimal for almost all supports atm) which can make things trickier. Scaling AP blues are actually some of the most gold efficient post 6 in the game, and it looks like some pros are switching to that on AP supports, but I haven't tried it out yet.

The problem is more that a lot of the good defensive itemization for AP supports is tied to items with CDR, so sometimes it makes sense to sacrifice a small amount of gold efficiency in runes in order to allow for those build paths.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I vote any of the band names as new thread title.

Re: taric, I haven't managed to get him yet, he's always gone in the first rotation. However, playing against him (and purely anecdotally) he seems strong, at least post-laning .

Part of that may have been that both times I've been fiddlesticks, whose crowstorm gets wrecked by his ult (until I figured out i had to fear him rather than a priority target) but still, he was loving impossible to kill, despite me being fed and him stacking armor. I think im going to ban him for now unless I can pay him. Definitely seems like a marked improvement over his old kit.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Could not tell you the last time I saw fiddle in a ranked game.

Which is a shame, he's actually pretty good right now. I've been playing him more lately (4-1 in ranked with him at the moment, admittedly tiny sample size) and he actually feels pretty strong. A lot of other junglers are either doing the semi-cheesy clear that gets a really early 6 or trying to gank earlier to counter that, which gives a lot of room to steal stuff/powerfarm to a stronger 6 (and 150 gold earlier item spikes) etc. More significantly, Runic Echoes is so much better on him that the jungle sheen item, and the CDR boot buff lets you flash ult a lot more if you need to go that route.

Still an awkward little scarecrow, but definitely worth trying! For whatever reason he seems to mostly be played by people with 100s of games on him and nowhere else, but he's honestly not that hard to pick up and is fun to play atm.

I've been playing him with mpen/scaling hp/cdr/ap, max w - q - e, level w-e-q, go Runic w/blue or teal smite -> CDR/Sorcs Shoes -> Hourglass -> Abyssal/Dcap/Void/Rylais in approximately that order, if anyone wants a standard build to try.

e: Although if most fiddle's perform like the one in that game, then maybe it's a mercy so few people play him...

foutre fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

The Mash posted:

She's a lot of fun to play and has more 50/50 matchups (or within the 45/55 range at least) than basically any other top laner. She has counterplay available to her against most things and most champions similar can outplay the Fiora.

Yeah, I think fiora as she's tuned now is pretty much gold standard for rewarding good play & counterplay. Pre-nerf not as much, but they definitely nailed the kit's mechanics in the rework. If all reworks are as good as her and poppy ill be happy.

• Locked thread