Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

fishmech posted:

No more so then everything else about the Iowa caucus. For instance, picking cards out of a deck to decide was done in at least one precinct in the 1992 or 2004 primaries. I forget which one.

Most people I see talking about the coin toss poo poo are less "FRAUD!" and more "haha oh my god Iowa caucuses are so loving insane".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Most people I see talking about the coin toss poo poo are less "FRAUD!" and more "haha oh my god Iowa caucuses are so loving insane".

Ugh, not on my facebook. Why can't my Berners be more pro-Bern and less RARGH CHEATING SHE-DEMON OF THE BANKS!!!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Xenophon posted:

Ugh, not on my facebook. Why can't my Berners be more pro-Bern and less RARGH CHEATING SHE-DEMON OF THE BANKS!!!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Northjayhawk posted:

You can't award half a delegate. Someone has to win, how else do you break a tie other than a coin flip?

Why not? All you need then is one more half delegate from another precinct to add up to one from each campaign.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuschia tude posted:

Why not? All you need then is one more half delegate from another precinct to add up to one from each campaign.

It's against the rules. Precincts must return whole number delegates.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

A delegate is a delegate. You can't say its only half.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenophon posted:

Be facebook friends with me, I'm the chill bernie bro that posts ironic pictures from SA and promises that Bernie will get rid of Rachel from Cardholder Services phonecalls.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

What about a pair of paraplegics?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Fuschia tude posted:

There's probably a good joke somewhere in the Democratic caucuses arguing about half delegates while the Republicans had a midget as Jeb's featured speaker in one precinct, but hell if I can dig it out.

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
I'd be a lot more helpful if my clues button weren't broken.

soscannonballs posted:

Midgets could represent half delegates. Problem solved.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Xenophon posted:

My facebook is pretty much all HOLY poo poo THIS WAS AWESOME! I CANT BELIEVE HOW CLOSE WE GOT!!! WOOO KEEP PHONE BANKING!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

fishmech posted:

Yup. Besides, "delegates" aren't an abstract mathematical construct, they're living human beings. Each precinct will be sending a particular number of people to the next step, each of whom supports one candidate or another, and they get those numbers as close as they can to the ratio of the preference vote last night. You can't send a fractional person, at least not without a table saw.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fishmech posted:

The reason for this is that the precinct caucuses are electing delegates to the county caucuses. You cannot send half a person to the county caucus.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Joementum posted:

The reason for this is that the precinct caucuses are electing delegates to the county caucuses. You cannot send half a person to the county caucus.

watch me

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

You're not my dad!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Is there any reason why they shouldn't just drop a contested delegate, send one less?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Let's ask King Solomon who won Iowa.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

remusclaw posted:

Is there any reason why they shouldn't just drop a contested delegate, send one less?

That would mean sending 0 delegates.

You only need to do tiebreakers in single delegate precincts.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

But if its a tie, shouldn't that be the net result anyway?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

remusclaw posted:

Yes. That precinct earned that delegate because of the percentage that voted democratic in the last election. (The Dems in Iowa reward precincts who vote democrat and punish precincts that don't).

Its also why you can't combine half-delegates from different precincts and send the one guy, that community earned the representation, you can't take one away just because they happened to split evenly on the presidential preference. You have to find a fair way to break the tie and give the spot to someone standing in that room.

There really is no option other than a game of chance, and anything other than a coin flip is stupid because people don't walk around with decks of cards or dice in their pockets.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

OK thanks. A way around it might be to double the amount of delegates each place that earns one gets. Thus, there will always be at least 2, and so they can be split. Too many people?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

remusclaw posted:

But if its a tie, shouldn't that be the net result anyway?

No, are you high or somethin'? Removing their representation means everyone there is hosed over.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I asked because I didn't know, you an rear end in a top hat or something?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

soscannonballs posted:

Jeb Bush has a clear route to the nomination, but first, we need to talk about parallel universes.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

remusclaw posted:

OK thanks. A way around it might be to double the amount of delegates each place that earns one gets. Thus, there will always be at least 2, and so they can be split. Too many people?

You can't remove the possibility of a tie by doubling the number of things to be apportioned, because they can be apportioned between more than two candidates. O'Malley did get a few.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The person earlier said "You only need to do tiebreakers in single delegate precincts." was that incorrect? Because that's what I was basing that idea off of.

The alternative, to cut down on delegates added is instead of doubling, is to start with a base of two, first earned nets two delegates, after that one per.

remusclaw has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Feb 3, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

You can't award half a delegate. Someone has to win, how else do you break a tie other than a coin flip?

Wow, people really will defend anything. Award a half delegate to each or just award it to undecided. Or keep recounting until one side wins.

The whole "delegate" construct is an insane farce anyway. Ideally just get rid of the caucus system entirely.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, people really will defend anything. Award a half delegate to each or just award it to undecided. Or keep recounting until one side wins.

The whole "delegate" construct is an insane farce anyway. Ideally just get rid of the caucus system entirely.

Delegates are actual people who participate in actual meetings.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

remusclaw posted:

The person earlier said "You only need to do tiebreakers in single delegate precincts." was that incorrect? Because that's what I was basing that idea off of.

The alternative, to cut down on delegates added is instead of doubling, is to start with a base of two.

The number of total delegates at a precinct isn't the issue. No matter how many delegates there are, the precinct can end up in some sort of tie due to viability thresholds and the number of people who show up. For instance a small precinct gets 1 delegate. 30 people show up and 3 of the candidates each get 10 people in their camp. Now if they had a delegate count divisible by three there'd be no issue, but then what if that same group distributed themselves differently?

Gyges has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Feb 3, 2016

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

That would mean sending 0 delegates.

You only need to do tiebreakers in single delegate precincts.

You also need to break ties when a precinct has an odd number of delegates.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I suppose dragging in the first person you see crossing the street outside to be a tie breaker would have it's objectors? Too likely to be a known partisan.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, people really will defend anything. Award a half delegate to each or just award it to undecided.

Or we could just flip a coin, which makes a lot more sense than keeping track of "half a delegate". We're not talking about sophisticated educated people working within the party apparatus, these are whoever shows up from the neighborhood, we need X names written down on a piece of paper stating that these people were chosen as county delegates, and hopefully they all show up at the county caucus next month.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Delegates are actual people who participate in actual meetings.

Yeah, that's dumb.

But there's no reason you couldn't send someone as unassigned.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The selected delegates go on to make more decisions than just the nominee. They will also vote on the platform at the convention. They'll vote on the state party leaders. They'll help schedule the next series of caucuses and conventions. They'll adopt new bylaws for the party. They'll decide how party funds are dispersed. It's in the party's interest to ensure that these people are interested in being involved in the business of the party.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What happens when there's a tie between many candidates? Do they find the guy at the caucus that plays a lot of Dungeons & Dragons?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess you could have them all flip coins, eliminate people who don't get a heads at each round (unless everybody gets tails, then you try again), and go until one of the last two people gets tails

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

But there's no reason you couldn't send someone as unassigned.

Yes, there is. "Unaffiliated" is its own preference group. My caucus had literally zero unaffiliated voters, and thats not going to be uncommon, people who are willing to show up and endure an hour or more of bullshit probably have an opinion.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lycus posted:

What happens when there's a tie between many candidates? Do they find the guy at the caucus that plays a lot of Dungeons & Dragons?

Probably either drawing straws or picking cards from a deck.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They should use Roulette wheels at the Nevada caucus.

Double 0 means Chafee gets a delegate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

somewhere in the west it's in the official rules that ties are broken with a hand of poker

• Locked thread