Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Trump get stumped?
Yes
No
#FeelTheBern
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I was going to write this OP tonight. I had millions of brilliant ideas. It was going to be full of hilarious jokes. But Joementum got there first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
CAUCUS RESULTS VIEWING INSTRUCTIONS

In case of Hillary win, play this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

In case of Bernie win, play this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x72w_69yS1A

In case of O'Malley win, play this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ZiyxguUvc

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

quote:

2. Skunk River Arms Gun Shop -- Hayesville, Iowa

Republican Iowans caucusing in this town of about 50 can buy a gun at their precinct if so desired. That's because they're voting at a gun shop with an inventory of 1,200 firearms.

"The more people you can get to caucus, the better off the country is," said owner Dan Glandon.

quote:

7. Jimi B’s Bar and Grill -- Bernard, Iowa

Some caucuses take place in restaurants, and for Democrats voting in Jackson County, they’ll be voting at this rural hot-spot. Joey Olson, the manager of Jimi B’s, said this is the second time the bar has participated.

Olson said they’ll be open for business while voting takes place, so Iowans can enjoy homemade pizza and other delicious bar food.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

oystertoadfish posted:

mildly subdued lol @ republican caucus process because it's clearly a stepping stone to the ultimate goal of replacing caucuses (caucii?) with primaries

it's not. iowa is a caucus in order to prevent a conflict with new hampshire. new hampshire law says it must be the first state in the nation to have a primary. iowa only needs to have the first presidential preference by 8 days, so iowa runs a caucus so that both states don't have mutually contradicting laws.

iowa can never move to a primary system without losing its first in the nation status.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

Sure they can, they just need the RNC to side with them over NH. The NH state law is a signal of the state's passion for being first, but the only person bound by it is the NH Secretary of State.

Sure, the parties could change anything if they wanted - up to and including ending IA/NH's dominance. But NH would not be likely to go along with Iowa moving to a primary unilaterally, and they would end up in a frontloading war.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pinterest Mom posted:

What's New Hampshire going to do about it after the RNC strips their delegates?

Honestly, nobody campaigns in NH/IA for the delegates so even if they were stripped they would probably still retain enormous power. It would probably take some other, harsher kind of penalty.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
May the corn be with you.

Always.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

blue squares posted:

Its not even monday yet. you just can't contain yourself, OP

It's Monday. The caucus is happening right now. You're missing it! Hurry!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Jewel Repetition posted:

The caucus starts at 7pm so that's when I'm tuning in. It's impossible to tell when the actual results will be announced, but it'll be sometime after 10pm.

Results should start coming in earlier than 10.

This year, the IDP partnered with Microsoft to develop a system to report caucus results. Each caucus has an app which reports to the IDP. The IDP will update the results every 15 minutes with the latest results. The presidential preference portion of the caucus begins at 7:30pm. By 8, some of the first results will be coming in. By 9, most of them should be in, minus caucuses with technical difficulties or those with extenuating circumstances.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Hey, I think Microsoft is actually pretty good these days re: producing good software.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
It's going to work. Wait and see.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
You'll be like, "You got it right, CC!"

Also, the phone reporting system still works as a backup.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

memy posted:

How long will it take for the actual delegate numbers to come out?

The national delegate number will take months. The county delegate numbers (and their associated SDE value) should come out within 15 minutes of the presidential preference portion of a caucus ending.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Generation Internet posted:

:psyduck:

What the actual gently caress.

Uncommitted actually usually wins some delegates, and then they can go to the county convention and caucus for whomever they like.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Generation Internet posted:

I just can't fathom how democracy is done by standing in corners in the year 2016, and that candidates spend millions of dollars to get people to stand in corners. The whole 'yell at your peers you you can visibly see voting' is weird as hell too, as far as 'official parts of a real goddamn election' go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnh-136QqO8

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

OctoberBlues posted:

The only time I was ever able to do the Iowa caucuses was in 2004 and this one douchebag went to the Kucinich area even though I heard him say earlier he wanted Dean to win. He then spent 5 minutes reveling in the attention that the Edwards and Kerry camps gave him to try to get him before going to the Dean group where he should have just started at if he wasn't an attention seeking rear end in a top hat. Good times.

yep this is the iowa caucus

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Not that I know of. They did support Obama in 2008, which might be what you're recalling.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?id=D000000115&type=P&state=&sort=A&cycle=2008

Microsoft employees were one of Bernie's top donors by employer (after Google).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

thrawn527 posted:

I, um...what?

So they give a percentage of the 27 delegates, based on the statewide vote, but the part I don't get is what "nearest the rounding threshold" means. If they come up with 26 delegates after rounding, do they give the person with 1.9% the extra delegate instead of the person with 13.8%?

If Candidate A is awarded 1.9, Candidate B has 1.4, and Candidate C has 1.2, then Candidate B would be awarded an additional delegate.

Candidate A needs .6 to reach the next rounding threshold. Candidate C needs .3. Candidate B only needs .1.

And Candidate B? That candidate.. is named Bernie.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

pathetic little tramp posted:

WRAP IT UP SANDAILUIRES

*flexes muscles*

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Thanks, man.

I wonder if they wish they had.

Probably not, because the Straw Poll was a massive scam and waste of money.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Can campaigns bus in supporters to their Caucus location?

Yes.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Bernie is outperforming in rural Iowa. He swept most of SW Iowa except for Mills and Cass (at least so far). He won Sioux City and much of NW Iowa. But the three big Bernie areas - Story, Johnson, and Black Hawk - are letting Hillary run way too close. This is giving Hillary the win. The students are not turning out at a sufficient rate.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Uncommitted is on the board! #TeamUncommitted

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Clinton may have enough results from precinct captains in remaining precincts to call the race prior to official results coming in.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
how do results get lost? here's some fun examples:

a precinct where literally no one showed up

a precinct where the chair didn't show up and so a random person who didn't understand caucus rules or caucus math simply had people vote for who they wanted and then never told anyone the result.

welcome to the iowa caucus!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

OrangeKing posted:

Make that a 5-0 lead in the coin tossing primary for Clinton: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-flip/79680342/

The Tails Never Fails strategy

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

a good illustration of the iowa caucus in my opinion

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

pathetic little tramp posted:

Bernouts are raising hell that "doing a coin flip is not in the official rule book! We want a recount!"

If Sanders clamours for a recount, he will lose major support in NH. Do not call for a recount, you will regret this!

how do you even recount a caucus

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Makes more sense than giving away extra votes by chance. It would be trivial to set up assignment rules that don't rely on that and it's endlessly amusing that people think the current way is in any way defensible.

Who exactly do you send as the "unassigned" delegate? I don't see how you can pick someone who isn't a Bernie or Hillary supporter.

Honestly, there are problems with the Iowa caucus but coin flips for ties are not one of them. County delegates are worth very little and you need some way to settle ties. Removing or adding a delegate to a precinct is just as arbitrary as flipping a coin, even if it "seems" more professional, and it's just as likely to unfairly bias toward one candidate or the other.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 06:20 on Feb 3, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

They can, but it's rare. They get picked because they were one of the biggest proponents of their candidate at the meeting, not just some guy who was like "I like this candidate I guess".

Not always. There's horse trading involved sometimes ("caucus with us and we'll let you be a delegate") and oftentimes it's a struggle to find people who will be a delegate. But your delegates are meant to be elected from your preference group - still, someone could change their mind between caucus day and the county convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

fishmech posted:

Except there was a clear winner.

In a sense. In reality, the winner on the night of the caucus is just an estimate anyway - the actual delegate fight happens later. The only reason SDE is reported at all is out of convention to figure out who "won" on caucus night.

• Locked thread