Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Why is there a cop car chilling in front of my house? I haven't done anything illegal in a few days.

He knows, man.

He *knows* :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, never ever do your favorite hobby as a job.

I used to be BIG into computers, messing around with them to do all kinds of things and generally being 110% on top of everything going on in that field, including gaming and constantly upgrading my PC. I was elbow-deep in my Linux installation and tweaked the hell out of it for fun.

After 8½ years in IT, I don't give a poo poo anymore. If things just work reasonably well that's good enough for me, I don't have the drive to tweak anything now. And I'm not even in a hardware or programming position, I do IT Service Management, it's been years since I even wrote a script at work or did anything that would be described as "hands-on". And it's still enough to make me annoyed rather than motivated if my PC doesn't something stupid and I have to fix it.

I stay on Arch Linux for familiarity reasons, but I could just as well use Windows 10, I don't really do much of anything that requires a *nix system, honestly. I just stick with it because I know it really well by now and I dislike the lack of configurability in the Windows UI.

So I've gotten into a lot of other things instead, and I'm acutely aware that as much as I enjoy those things, I should never ever try to make a career of them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Raluek posted:

And, for the love of whatever you find holy, do not use a pull-through knife sharpener.

Get a Spiderco Sharpmaker.

I get my knives sharpened at the local cooking supply store. They charge $7.50 per knife, they make sure to grind the bolster correctly and they'll even sharpen serrated knives. And they'll sharpen anything for you. Lawnmower blades, blender/food processor blades, basically anything with a sharp edge.

If you keep the edge maintained with a steel, your knives should only need to be sharpened once a year or so.

Plus, it's super fun to browse the store while your knives are being sharpened. I know I don't really need a 5hp stick blender that looks more like an outboard engine than a kitchen appliance, but goddammit I want one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

I know exactly which store you're talking about. :D

(I want a 5hp outboard immersion blender too. Along with half of the rest of the stuff they have there.)

I buy literally all my kitchen supplies there. It's kinda expensive, but that's because they don't sell cheap poo poo like you'd find in most supermarkets. And it will never ever break.

In completely unrelated news, holy poo poo the Copenhell 2016 band lineup is looking fine as gently caress:

Abbath
Alice Cooper
Amon Amarth
August Burns Red
Beartooth
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Clawfinger
Converge
Dark Funeral
Decapitated
Dropkick Murphys
Entombed A.D.
Epica
Grusom
Gutterdämmerung
Havok
Helhorse
I'll Be Damned
Kadavar
King Diamond
Megadeth
Monuments
Norma Jean
Red Warszawa
Redwood Hill
Rival Sons
Scorpions
Sixx:AM
Tremonti
Tribulation
With The Dead

I am so loving hyped already :D

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

I turned 30 today, does that make me old?

Welcome to the club! :corsair:

Cakefool posted:

Today I thought I'd say bollocks to economy and drove my panda like I stole it. All 60hp of it :3:

It was great fun, revving the piss out of that little bastard. Then I got to a roundabout and violated commandments 1 through 10. I lifted. I got properly sideways in traffic and looked like a proper twat. Whoops. New tyres time I think. Didn't think I was going that fast honestly.

In other words, you drove it like an Italian. Rev it till the valves dance on the underside of the bonnet, then rev it some more.

The Panda has has a huge personality and responds so well to being driven like an absolute bastard. The only other tiny city car I've driven that felt even remotely as fun was a Peugeot 107. That little 3-cylinder Toyota motor is a heap of fun and it sounds so good when you rev it out. But the rest of the car felt so tinny and flimsy. The Panda feels like a 'proper car' without being heavy and ponderous.

Bajaha posted:

Driving like a twat can actually be more fuel efficient in some cars.

And nothing is more fun than driving a slow car fast. :colbert:

Exactly. I've driving a loaner Peugeot 206 1.4 while my 406 2.2 is being repaired (on it's 3rd week now :emo:).

It's slow as gently caress, but the engine is nice and revvy for easy rev-matching and the darn little thing handles amazingly well. I'm having way too much fun driving it, it'll be kinda weird going back to my big and comfortable (but also much faster) motorway muncher.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

I've got to say I'm into the idea of the 100hp panda, but I just spent all my money on this little bastard. Good tyres should help a lot, but if I could get another 10hp it'd be great. It does like to rev, eager little weasel :3:

I think I should leave this alone and make something else dangerously unsafe instead.

I've heard of people putting Rotrex superchargers on their 1.2 Pandas, and getting around 120hp and a boatload of torque. It almost seems like a necessity if you have the glacially slow 4x4.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

Don't loving tempt me

E: ~£5k fitted, no loving way. The 100hp costs less, has better brakes and suspension.

The ride is punishingly stiff, though.

88h88 posted:

So the 4x4 Panda is a car that a kei car could probably outpace?? Amazing.

~20 seconds 0-60, baby.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

Because I make poor decisions quickly I haven't test driven one.

Trust me, it's an absolute riot.

You can't not drive it like a hooligan everywhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I prefered the Ford Fiesta ST150 I also test drove, though.

A little more compliant in the suspension, and by far the best gearbox I've ever used.

But then I ended up buying a French barge instead, because ~comfort~.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just got the insurance statement for the busted rear quarter panel and mirror etc. from when my car was hit while parked, back in December.

Turns out that a new quarter panel, mirror, paint, various parts and labor costs around $3,600 :stare:

Amusingly enough, they also ask me whether I would like to pay this myself, which would let me move into a cheaper bracket and save $150/year on my rates.

Uhhh, I think I'll just pay the deductible, and stay in my current bracket for another year, thankyouverymuch.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 6, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Reddit's format is utter unreadable poo poo, THAT is something that can be grouped very well. And it does indeed have a much higher percentage of absolute loving morons. Burn it to the ground, the Internet would be noticably better.

Then follow the burning with a nuking of Tumblr and Twitter.

Does anyone actually use Reddit for anything other than looking at naked ladies on r/gonewild?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Unfortunately, the absolutely horrendous navigation and layout on Reddit kinda negates all the good content.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

As opposed to the professional and modern layout of these here forums, I assume?

As primitive as it may be, it's still lightyears ahead of Reddit.

SA (and other similar forums) have simple and direct navigation and threads that are easy to follow (ridiculous megathreads notwithstanding). Reddit spins off wildly into multithreaded discussions that are an absolute nightmare to follow.

Maybe I'm just not millennial and borderline-ADHD enough for that type of layout, because the information just gets lost in the noise for me.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 7, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

What's the easiest way to find the ssid of a hidden wifi network from a Windows platform?

WirelessNetView is pretty straightforward:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If it wasn't such an unreliable gas guzzler, the Range Rover would be the perfect car for most people.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I am STEAMING loving MAD right now.

My insurance company apparently believed the other persons testimony more, even after viewing my dashcam video, so they're saying I'm 100% at fault. They're saying I should have looked out for other traffic before performing a lane change and that I "forced her into the other lane". How that somehow justifies the fact that she rammed me, I have no idea

I calmed myself down a bit and wrote a very clear an concise email that I did not accept that ruling, that I did in fact check my mirrors and over my shoulder, and it was completely clear before I began my lane change, and that it was only after I had begun my maneuver that she tried to overtake and then rammed me.

gently caress!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Bet you they didn't really view the video.

Maybe they haven't, but I don't want to call them out on it right away.

I'll be going through the normal complaints process, first step is to complain directly to the auto department, which is what I have done.

If they don't change their decision, I'll raise a complaint with their overall quality department. And if that doesn't work, it's only ~$30 to raise an official complaint with the insurance complaints board.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Screenshot the video with captions for each action that occurs and print it all out.

And send it to them now?

I'll let them respond to my complaint first. Once.

The most annoying thing is that the accident happened in September, and it took them until January before they even got back to me. And now it apparently only took a few days. I have no idea what went on for 5 whole months before anything happened.

Unfortunately, since the camera is only pointed out my front window, you cannot tell from the video alone that I am well in front of her and that she accelerates to overtake when I am almost done with my maneuver. However, I thought it was abundantly clear that she accelerated hard while I was in the middle of changing lanes, in order to overtake me, simply by the speed with which she passes me after the collision.

I wish I could show you the video, but I don't know whether that's advisable.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 11, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

Wait so you have video proof that it isn't your fault that they completely ignored :psyduck:

I can sort see how the video can be misinterpreted if you completely ignore my testimony. Still, as I wrote above, it should be pretty clear that we were definitely not going the same speed at the time of the collision.

E: I can hardly watch the video or read any of their e-mails, I get so pissed off.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 11, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

I'm not going to tell someone not to spend money on speakers, because music is the best thing in this lovely world.

+1 million billion trillion

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

I need to address legendary levels of fiat NVH before I spend money on speakers but as I spend an hour a day in my car I think I'll buy speakers for mine at some point.

I actually found the Panda very reasonable on NVH for a small car.

But maybe that's because the diesel clatter drowned out everything else :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

In the US, unless you actually changed lanes into the other car, if you were ahead, you were in control of the lane and therefore not (or less) at fault. Usually.
It may be lawyer time, if there are significant $$ at stake.

I'll stick to the complaints process for now, as there is a well-defined complaints process with several escalating levels, the highest being the insurance complaints board.

My main argument is that her reported version of the events directly contradicts the video on several points. The most important of those is that she claims that I accelerated wildly along side her to overtake her on the inside, when in fact I was ahead of her the whole time.

And of course the collision only happened after I was actually fully within the lane and had completely finished my maneuver.

She could have braked at any point during her hazardous overtaking maneuver or even just released the accelerator, and nothing would have happened.

Her report is also extremely accusatory and tries to pin anger issues etc. on me, which is part of why I'm so amazed my insurance company actually believed it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 11, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My dad once got a speeding ticket in a Fiat 600, with 5 people and luggage for 14 days in it.

He still has that ticket, framed and everything.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

literally a fish posted:

Their subscription-only Roadkill Garage show is off to a good start, too. That seems to be "Dulcich and Freiburger do stupid poo poo with their absurd army of vehicles" and episode one involves a ball hone. Not sure it's worth the :10bux: it costs now but I only pay five and despite not getting access to any of the race footage (basically only the originals) I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

I just signed up and it's $5/month for everything, with the first 2 weeks free of charge.

Are you seeing some prices I'm not seeing?

E: But it doesn't want to play any videos in Chrome on Linux :(

E2: Disabled HTTPS Everywhere, that fixed it. Roadkill trumps security, bye bye HTTPS Everywhere.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 14, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo, Deadpool.

Best Marvel movie since Iron Man, by far.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

I've got to go see it some time. To be honest I was really skeptical and thought that it was going to be stupid.

It is kinda stupid and silly, but in the best possible way. It fits the character.

And there are some really great "did he just say that? And did I just laugh like a retard at it?" moments sprinkled throughout.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryhampster posted:

Agreed. Soundtrack was killer as well. Had a ton of fun.

The soundtrack is by Tom Holkenborg aka. Junkie XL, who also did the Mad Max: Fury Road soundtrack.

BloodBag posted:

Do you have to like the comic book to enjoy it? I never read comics and don't have any reference for deadpool outside of the reddit echo chamber showing cosplayers doing *zany thing* in that costume. I liked the first ironman and the first avengers, if that helps. The rest of the comic movies I could take or leave.

Not at all. I've never read a Deadpool comic apart from clippings posted here and there, and I still enjoyed it immensely.

Cosplayers thinking they're cool by doing *zany things* in a Deadpool costume at a con is a completely different thing compared to Ryan Reynolds actually being funny as poo poo as Deadpool.

The baby hand scene had me in stitches, as an example. The humor is very R-rated.

E: If nothing else, watch it because Morena Baccarin is ridiculously smokin' hot. God drat.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 15, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BloodBag posted:

Well, I mean I'm sure the wife will enjoy it if RR loses his shirt at some point, which probably is a given for him.

He does, and more.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

blk posted:

This is a national trend, every metro area has a restaurant or local chain like this.

There's a lot of strong opinions about pizza in this thread - I'd recommend this book to most of the people with those opinions http://www.amazon.com/American-Pie-Search-Perfect-Pizza/dp/1580084222/ref=sr_1_23?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455776677&sr=1-23&keywords=pizza

Thin crust, tomato sauce, mozzarella, one meat, fresh basil, wood-fired oven, no items, fox only, final destination :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I bought a $30 trimmer a couple of years ago, and I've been rocking the as-short-as-possible buzzcut since then.

A couple of weeks I decided to just go full-bore and shave it instead. It only takes a couple of minutes, and I like it more than the buzzcut. Shaving my head every 2-3 days also provides an excuse to shave the edges of my beard at the same time.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 18, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Got an offer for cheap name-brand motor oil from Ivan down on the corner? Yeah, it's fake.

http://www.automotorblog.com/watch-counterfeit-engine-oil-russia/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BloodBag posted:

The morbid reality of walking through a dead man's house is a heavy burden to bear.

It's a very strange feeling, it feels very transgressive, like you're trespassing into something private that should be left alone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

Spent all day yesterday helping friends move house. Today I choose to eat lovely food and do very little until later when I go out to see some friends and watch some live metal. Tired as gently caress.

Sounds like an awesome sunday to me. Which band is playing?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I completely forgot to post about this, but I finally got my car back after 4 weeks (!) at the mechanic for accident repair. It turns out that replacing a rear quarterpanel is actually a pretty big task, plus they were understaffed due to one guy quitting and one guy going on paternity leave. But I had a free courtesy car, so that's OK.

It feels so weird coming back to my own car every time I've driven some other car for some time. The seating position is completely different, not nearly as upright as in the 206. The clutch bite point is way up high in comparison, and the brake/accelerator pedals are much less front-loaded. And of course it's heavier, more comfortable and has a boatload more torque. I can't wait to blast it down an onramp again :D

88h88 posted:

There's a good few actually, my friend's new band are playing for their first time here so I have to go make an effort. They're described as being "like being bludgeoned and glassed at the same time as being kicked in the face." Post sludge. I'm not a particularly big follower of the million and one metal genres but they're pretty tight.

https://soundcloud.com/conjureruk/tracks

Sludge isn't my primary preference, but they sound pretty good. And metal shows are always fun, some just require more beer than others.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

Yeah replacing a rear quarterpanel takes cutting an assload of spotwelds, putting a new panel on, getting it just right, spotwelding it on, re-corrosion-proofing all welded or cut areas if they did it right (hint: they didn't), then body filler as required, sanding sanding sanding filler sanding sanding, prime/paint/cc, and reinstalling all the trim and stuff that had to be removed. It's about a million times more work than a front quarterpanel.

There's a reason I drive 150km to where my parents live to use this particular mechanic. And it's because he does everything right. He actually had to send the car back to the painter, because he wasn't 100% satisfied with the clearcoat on the repainted parts compared to the original paint. I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed it. He's a stickler for quality, and probably the only mechanic I trust to do a perfect job the first time, every time. He's not the cheapest, but he's probably the best Peugeot mechanic in the country.

And I have to say, it looks absolutely good as new, both inside and out, they did an amazing job on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, goddammit. My insurance company still maintains that I was at fault for the traffic accident that happened in September. They even state that because the other party honked at me, I had obviously put them in danger, and therefore I was responsible.

The "little" problem with that is that I was the one who honked, and that it happened much later than if she had wanted to warn me about my lane change. I even stated this quite clearly in my descriptions of the incident, but apparently they couldn't be bothered to actually read those.

So off the case goes to their complaints department, with yet another detailed description of what happened and why the other party willfully and deliberately drove into me. I'll be calling them this afternoon as well, once I've cooled down a little.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

...wouldn't it be in the interests of YOUR insurance company to be on your side on this??

Not if they don't think they can win the insurance case against the other company.

That's the hosed up thing about insurance companies, they don't care about their customers, only which cases they can and cannot win.

If they side with me, but don't win the case, they get nothing. If they simple concede the case, they'll lose the payout to the other insurance company*, but they'll still get my deductible. And they'll save time and money.

*Actually they won't, because IIRC payouts on liability insurance is paid for by a collective fund or something.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 22, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

New thread title.

Yes, I agree that such a rare occasion should be commemorated.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I dunno, and I duncare, but it was too good of an opportunity not to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I dunno, we had some mindfulness classes at work a little while back, and it all just seemed like new-age trippy-dippy bullshit to me.

Sure, it's fine to be conscious of yourself, your own decision-making processes, and your reactions to the world around you. But there's no reason to tie it up in mystical bullshit.

Hi, it's me. I'm the cynical misanthropic nihilist. God is dead, everything is bullshit, leave me alone.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 24, 2016

• Locked thread