Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Sitting in the parking lot at the new hedge fund office. Everything about this place is abhorrent to me. My contact is running late so I sit in my car, praying for a meteorite or freak earthquake to erase the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've reached my wits end with my career. Nothing within the industry holds my interest or seems interesting which means I don't want to know any more about IT than I already do, and every task that's given to me is like pulling my own teeth since I have no interest in it. One motivator for me to get into IT instead of auto repair stuff was someone told me that the ceiling for wages is much higher in IT than automotive, but if I don't give half of the smallest rat's rear end about IT, how'm I gonna make any more money? :smith: Once I get my credit cards and student loans paid off, I'm gonna go find a fuckin job I like and devil-gives-a-gently caress about how much I make.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

(I feel like I should keep this copied down somewhere to paste when needed)
This is what everyone tells me, but I have never been "DUDE I LOVE COMPUTERS." I groked them when I was younger and the only reason I cared about them was because I got to play video games on them and if I could build a PC myself I'd save a buncha dollary-doos to spend on doritos and mt dew. In fact I actively avoided turning computer work into my career and in the last 14 years have had 23 jobs with just the last 3 being computer/tech related. I'm good at what I do and I'm competent, but I don't care. And yeah, life isn't a Friends episode, but 90% of my friends love (or at least don't despise) what they do. Guess I just feel left out. I should probably just get back in the weight room to work through this kinda poo poo instead of drinking so much. I know my 8-5 isn't my life, and I know I need an attitude adjustment, and I whine about this poo poo way more than anyone else would. Blergh, brains.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Right, yeah, I'm in Minneapolis and I don't think I'd ever want to work on cars for a living even if it pops up in my brain every few months. Daily drivers that are more than, say, 7 years old are basically rust-infested to the point where you can't adjust things like tie rods cuz there aren't threads anymore, just rusty bits. I brought up auto work in my first bloo-bloo post cuz I wanted to do that when I was in high school and dad said "no, you'll hate it, you should do computers instead." In all likelihood I'd be saying the same thing about IT if I worked in a garage so I should figure out what I like about this career and find something that I at least don't hate.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

corn in the fridge posted:

Why do you say this?
Cuz I like Heinlein and it's easier than typing out "I understood computers on an intuitive and deep level" why you gotta be a killjoy? Are you shocked to find a nerd on an internet forum?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like mic-dropping LaF, it's a fun time, especially doing in just a few paragraphs what Michael Moore took a whole movie to explain.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

Whats wrong with putting knives in the dishwasher? I have some decent Henkles and I do that :ohdear:

It's way too harsh of an environment in dishwashers for quality knives. They typically rattle around and bump up against things that they ought not be bumping. The knives can also score and cut the protective coating on the dishwasher racks and lead to rust problems down the line. A list of things that should ever touch a knife's blade:

1.) Food
2.) Warm tap water
3.) Dish soap
4.) A soft sponge
5.) A sharpening stone in the hands of an experienced knife sharpener
6.) A non-ceramic cutting board

That's it.

edit: forgot the sponge

scuz fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 4, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

Ok thats what I was thinking but I make sure the sharp parts arent able to touch anything while in there. Especially other silverware.
The heat in the dishwasher along with the chemicals that are in like 99% of dishwasher detergents can shorten the life of your blade, too. It takes 30 seconds, just wash it by hand.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
This was fun! CPGGrey does similar things but without all the colors and fun sounds.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The gently caress happened?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

She got dizzy and fell. Hit her face against the wall and split the inside of her mouth open. Her entire face from the nose down is totally purple and swollen. Luckily my uncle lives with her and was there to call 911. Sitting in her ER room with her and my aunt awaiting some test results.

She's been in the ER room for 20+ hours now and hasn't gotten a loving room yet. My dad is coming here after work. You guys think I have a bad temper and a short fuse? God help the nurses when he arrives.

:ohdear: I hope she gets better, man. Grandmas are important.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

I turned 30 today, does that make me old?
Happy birthday! You can now use the phrase "back in my twenties" when telling a story.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

I don't usually get bad headaches, but I can't seem to kick this one. I've been home sick 3/4 of the week with sinus pressure/headaches/stomach cramps and I'm way down on energy. It's bad enough I don't trust myself driving except short trips. Anyone have any headache/migrane med suggestions? I usually only take Ibu as needed.
There was a headache that followed me around for 6 months that turned out to be severe sinus pressure. Ibuprofen and mucinex religiously for a week was the only thing that helped.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Add me as another goon to the "UBIQUITI OR DEATH" wifi group.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, who would replace a CV boot when the whole half axle is only $20 more and 90% less loving work?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

Because he quit his job and uses weasel words on here to paint himself as the victim, even though quitting automatically disqualifies you from receiving UI benefits.
It's shocking to discover how many people don't realize this. Fighting for UI benefits after quitting a job is harder than finding a new job unless you've smoked your weight in weed on a monthly basis and all your prospects require you to fill up a cup.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
LG G3

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Unironically.
Mine would be great if I hadn't dropped it, out of its case, 5 feet on to the concrete stadium floor. Now 1/2" of the top doesn't respond to touches. I love, love, love the buttons on the back, will always have a phone with buttons on the back from now on.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Ok, so I think I'm going to go with the Moto G, and I noticed on Amazon that I can get a second gen for 99 bucks, is the third gen 80 bucks better tho?

Also Cricket offers the Moto E for 30 bucks with activation, but they don't offer the G what the gently caress.
If AT&T had a Motorolla in their line-up, I'd've gone for that no problem. Good choice. Regarding "80 bucks better," I'd say "no" at first glance. 4 cores is awesome and 80 smackeroos can get you all kinds of ________.

edit: upon closer inspection of their specs, I'd say "absolutely no" to 80 bucks better.

scuz fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 10, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ronin: a Good Movie that features Real Action & Car Chases. Watched the opening scene of Age of Ultron and decided I didn't believe any of it and that it wasn't exciting v:shobon:v

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Radios are Xanax for old cars. Worried about noises and odd creaks? Turn up the radio.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good news/bad (maybe) news time.

http://www.badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/binky-the-public-unveiling/

quote:

It is with much excitement that we can announce that the public unveiling of Project Binky will be at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed. From 23rd to 26th June, we’ll be at the famous Goodwood circuit in West Sussex.

As part of the Link Engine Management stand, we’ll be there showing off the car -whether it’s finished or not – drinking tea and generally hanging out watching some of the world’s greatest vehicles and drivers hooning up a hill.

The Link Engine Management stand is no.77 so if you’re going to this amazing event, please come along and say hi.

We simply cannot tell you how excited we are about this opportunity and we have to express our deep thanks to all at Link ECU for making this happen, especially to Philip Royds who came up with the idea in the first place.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Good news is that Binky's going to loving Goodwood! Bad (maybe) news is that we might not get another video until then :smithicide:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The bonus at my company was an all-expenses paid trip to NYC. I couldn't go, so I got nothing.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

How do I stop Windows Update from updating my graphics driver automatically? I keep having to roll it back because it is buggy!
Turn off Windows Update. You can also select which updates to ignore though the control panel. Figure out which update is bugging your fuckery and ignore the poo poo out of it.

corn in the fridge posted:

This has always amazed me how SAC, AI's resident punching bag, constantly gets tons of abuse for a bit of recreational drug taking, whereas 14 inch, a literal meth addict, is treated as some kind of papal saint or something ijdgi
He's not though? :shrug:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

Congrats - you fell for corn in the fridge
gently caress, I blew it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

Those aren't options in Windows 10. :( It's stupid there's no advanced mode. I can disable the Windows Update service I guess... but I want security and bug fixes for Windows.
See if this here gets you any closer.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

And the posting of a medical diagnosis of such. Not taking sides, but you can see where the confusion could come from.
I'm giving 14" the benefit of the doubt. He's able to hold down a job, get poo poo done, and navigate the minefield of his own life while still finding time to post about it on an Internet Forum. No meth head that I've ever met would be able to do any of that for any length of time. Plus he's got a prescription for ADD/ADHD pills or something, it's all in his wonderful thread, go read it sometime.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hey neat broke my house key off in the lock, time to take that fucker apart and post some pics of a circa 1923 mortise lock :dance:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

I think he said his prescription ran out and he was getting prescription drugs from someone else. Perhaps you may want to re-read his thread sometime.
Mah bad, he did mention that.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cooking for a lactose intolerant person for like 2 years learned me the following:
  • Goat butter is goddamned delicious
  • Lactaid milk is your bestest friend
  • Goat cheese is a-okay and available in nearly all varieties at co-ops
  • You'll learn a lot about goats

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

C) be stuck on Miata.net forever

D) Have every website turned into forums.vwvortex.com

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The window pane test is taking a chunk of your dough that you've kneaded and stretching it out very thin. The idea is that if it forms holes before it becomes translucent (like a window pane) that you have more kneading to do.

I think it can be a bit misleading, but I'm not that good of a baker (or very patient).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
sup goatse welcome back and stuff!

:rip: Excalibur. You were older than me and my dad and had a good run. That axle bolt was just too much.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's my next stop after the tool library for an air compressor this weekend. I took a look at Home Depot's selection (I have gift cards) and wasn't terribly impressed. If I'm gonna get it from China, I'll get it from HF. A 4-footer, eh? Seems good.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

The 4-footer is best bought from home depot :v:

Guy knew exactly what I was after when I walked into the plumbing aisle with my brand new 3/4" breaker bar and started test fitting its handle in long drops of black steel pipe. I got one with one end not threaded because it lets me grip the very back end of the extension pipe for maximum leverage without digging threads into my soft dainty hands.

Behold, 5' of torque:

I've been trying to break it for two years and I can't.

:swoon: that'll do!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Got to create a character in DnD and since our party members are all halflings...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was drunk.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
A part of my IT job has me spending 4 hours a week in a hedge fund's office that smells like stale cigarettes. 90% of their infrastructure is well beyond end-of-life (who the gently caress uses Windows ISA? Who EVER did?) and there's no reason for a company with fewer than 10 employees to have an on-premise Exchange server. I've told all of this to my supervisors and they're having me fill out a spreadsheet that's a zillion miles long with clandestine acronyms that I have to keep looking up which are only used for this sheet. It's a complete cluster gently caress and my asthma is acting up and it's just a sad, sad place. All I wanna do is fix computers and go home, this bullshit is so far out of my job description that it's beyond the curvature of the Earth.

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 24, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes there is. You loving hate cloud as the abortion it truly is
I once hated the cloud as you did, but now I have embraced it. Come with me towards the light where major email outages are Someone Else's Problem and maintenance does itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean if I had like a *nix server running email at home, fine, awesome, but I don't, so google-all-the-way! :buddy: In related news, guess who's installing Microsoft Access 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

The analogy works, here's what happens when AI posters try it:

What's the best way to get that blown-up into like a 46"x32" picture so i can frame it? I love that picture, reference it all the time.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Rick and Morty is the best show. Ever.

Edit: damnit wrong image
Well you're not wrong!

scuz fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2016

• Locked thread