Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

You are surprised people are not watching hockey. In Florida.

Maybe not in Orlando, Tampa Bay has been a huge hockey town for awhile now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone live in or used to live in Buffalo? I'm gonna be there for a week in March and need poo poo to do.

Niagara Falls. Or if you're into hockey hit up a Sabres game. Bills games are always fun, but that's out of season.

Find a good place to get a Beef on Weck and some wings. That's all I got :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ever ran a master cylinder dry while bleeding the brakes? I did it twice!

gently caress tiny reservoirs in the rear end :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Dude, don't you have a kid? I'm pretty sure that's what they're for.

Yeah, he was in school though when I was trying to get it done. Did it the first time and was pissed, then when I finally got all the air out (and there was a lot of air) I was on the last caliper and heard a giant sucking sound from the master and was like FUUUUUUUUUUCK. On the bright side the lines are loving flushed well I guess :v:

QuarkMartial posted:

What's the best way to bleed brakes by yourself? Time to change the fluid in mine since it's at least 225k miles old :v:

Invest in a Mighty Vac.

[e] And preferably a camera to watch the loving reservoir.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 2, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's cheaper to keep your kid home from school and have him pump the brakes than it is to buy a MightyVac.

To be fair I've never had a problem flushing/bleeding brakes myself with a mighty vac, but the the loving Protege MC serves double duty to the brakes and clutch and the reservoir is separated in half, so half the amount of a normal reservoir goes pretty loving quick and before you know it you're sucking air and yelling loving oval office LICKER loud enough for the entire block to hear.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Man I am such a sucker for these treasure hunting shows. I even love Prospectors on the Weather Channel. TONIGHT ON THE CURSE OF OAK ISLAND... THEY FIND NOTHING... AS USUAL.

Lol just like the Hunting For Bigfoot show, who is stupid enough to watch that thinking they're gonna find something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So Scion is dead huh? Toyota is absorbing some of the cars but the TC is done.

Good, now hopefully Mazda will bring back the 2 with the Skyactiv instead of re branding it through Scion. I want the new Mazda 2 dammit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

It seems natural that poo poo and piss would go together.

:golfclap:

stevobob posted:

Gordon Ramsay shows how to make hella small onion diddlies with minimal effort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGS067s0zo

Was waiting for him to start yelling at me. I like Gordon so much better when he doesn't have to "perform" for the camera.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Not many people had Dave Mirra in their deadpool.

God dammit. I wonder if CTE was part of it, lord knows he's had a ton of concussions over his career.

But leaving behind two kids willfully.....I can't fathom that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I also wonder about guys like Hoffman and Hawk, really all that generation of guys. Helmets were never worn outside of competition.

Helmets don't matter, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVfkPBiLjjY

There's gotta be a ton of retired pro skaters and bmx riders walking around with CTE.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been lucky skating bowls like that for years that I never hit my head really bad, mostly ankle, knee and hip injuries.....Although that poo poo will probably catch up with me later :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I almost bought tickets to Monster Jam a week ago for tomorrow night because it was supposed to be clear in the high 60's, but now it's gonna be rainy and in the low 40's gently caress that. Must be nice to be a weatherman for a living, never get it right and still keep a job.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What sucks is they ALWAYS come down here in the winter so it's a crap shoot, could be in the 70's, or if there's a giant coldfront blowing through it could be in the loving 20's.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We don't get it nearly as bad as you guys inland, the summer rains rarely last long on the west coast, it's usually the winter storms when it rains for a day or two.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

i love when family members on fb claim that if you're minimum wage aka "making the same as a 15 year old" at age 22 then you're a failure at life. and then tell ME to back off and quit being confrontational when I bring up that that group includes me.

Yes, because everyone who works for minimum wage chooses to do so!

Sounds like your family is a bunch of morons, and facebook is nothing but a drama enabler.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I think football is fairly easy to understand and appreciate. Does one team put together a play that advances the ball? Does the other team stop them? The downs and breaks completely reinforce the per-play nature of the game, which I like. Compare to rugby, which is so much more free-form and flowing, with much less specialization in positions and roles.

It seems like it would be easy to understand, but a lot of people I run across that get bored with it don't really get what's even going on. When I was a kid I thought it was boring because I didn't get it. Baseball is even more in depth, and I have just recently begun to appreciate the skill and strategy involved and I actually enjoy sitting and watching an entire game now, even on TV sometimes.

I think soccer is boring as hell, but I suppose if I grew up watching it and knew everything about it I'd probably love that lovely sport.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

literally a fish posted:

gently caress spending 3.5 hours for 12 minutes of actual playtime. At least AFL actually has sport happening most of the time.

Hyperbole bullshit.

[e] An NFL football game is 60 minutes with a clock that generally only runs between the ball being snapped and stopped. Yes there are time outs and commercial breaks but there's no shortening the 60 minutes they still have to actually play.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 8, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, ok. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe that's bullshit, if you don't want to watch it don't I guess?

I enjoy it so whatev.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

literally a fish posted:

ridiculous ratio of playtime to not-playtime.

That's your opinion, and in my opinion, your opinion is bad :)

The NFL is the #1 sport in the US, I don't think it would be in that spot if it was ridiculous in any way.....The Super Bowl is a loving holiday here, you're from Australia right? It's ok, you don't have to get it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't say that, lol.

I said if it was RIDICULOUS like you say it is, it would not be #1 and a BILLION dollar money making machine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

drat..you just gave me a thought. I never list a number because I don't technically have a burner #...but I do have a second line that I don't use for ANYTHING that is technically work related, but work uses my primary cell... I should just list that #. Might make things easier.

I never list a number and just weed people out through email, it's pretty easy to tell who's for real and who's not, then once I determine they're not a moron I'll sometimes give my cell number but most of the time everything is done through email.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just recently went from a 34" CRT tv to a 60" LED, and although the size difference is awesome, the picture quality is not even close to the CRT :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Shot in the dark, Trinitron? I love those TVs. When I worked for a TV delivery company so many people were throwing them out because they were too heavy to do anything with, but they are awesome TVs.

Yep, the Wega XBR, it was like looking through a window sometimes. Haven't seen anything close besides maybe the OLED tv's but they're way too expensive.

I loved it but it was just too small for the living room and too big and heavy for anywhere else. I put it on CL so hopefully a gamer will keep it going or something, I'd hate to trash it.

Tusen Takk posted:

what kind of cables are you using to plug into it? have you ordered the HD cable package? I had the same issue when I first switched to a flatscreen from a CRT and then I realised its because my channels were still in standard definition, not HD, so everything looked like poo poo comparitively

i only use my CRT for my old consoles now

Yeah I'm using HDMI and I've had premium HD for awhile now. I set it up to the best possible parameters via rtings.com and it helped, but it still falls short. I know I'll get used to it so no biggie, the size trumps that worry.......Watched Jurassic Park on it and it was amazing :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Who is your TV provider? A lot of them compress the poo poo out of most channels, to the point that they actually look worse on a 1080p TV. U-Verse in particular is horrible about this.

What kinda TV did you get anyway? I'm going to be looking to get something a lot bigger sometime this year.

I have brighthouse, and my CRT was 1080p HD with HDMI as well.....It's not the signal, it's the TV, but I'll get over it because the new one is huge and I can hang it on my wall to save space. The CRT weighed in at 200 POUNDS and needed a stand made of solid Oak just to hold it up, I have tweaked my back more than once trying to move it (with help).

The new TV is a Vizio E60-C3 I got on sale at Walmart for $698, it's a lot of TV for the price, I paid over $800 for the CRT back in '05 or so.

Tusen Takk posted:

They're all privileged, racist, ultra right wing fucks who don't understand how taxes work and all think they're going to be millionaires one day even though half of them work in a garage with no plans of getting an education and no brains to start their own business

I had a roommate in the military whose goal in life was to be a millionaire but had no idea how he was going to accomplish it, and was flabbergasted that I wasn't motivated by money. How could you not want to be a millionaire? Everybody wants to be rich :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 9, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Recccommmend me a good Android smartphone that I can use without a contract (Cricket, Metro) and won't poo poo the bed after a year. Features are nice but reliability is more important to me. Been looking at reviews and it seems like there's nothing available that doesn't have a good amount of bad reviews.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, so I think I'm going to go with the Moto G, and I noticed on Amazon that I can get a second gen for 99 bucks, is the third gen 80 bucks better tho?

Also Cricket offers the Moto E for 30 bucks with activation, but they don't offer the G what the gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Since you guys know your electrical poo poo I have a question. I have a pair of Bose 101 amplified speakers for my TV, and when i turn up the gain so I can control the volume with the TV remote I get lots of humming noise at low volume. It goes away with the TV off. I can reduce it by turning down the gain but then the volume is reduced as well. The RCA cable coming out of it is very cheap, and I was thinking that if I soldered in a higher quality cable with better shielding the humming would be reduced if not eliminated, am I correct?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Put an alligator clip between the two on the bare case back of each. If the hum is gone, it's a ground issue.

I don't understand, what do you mean by the "bare case back"?

Cellular Suicide posted:

Don't have a ton of EE experience, but after building a few headphone amps/tube preamps I can almost assure you the quality of the RCA cables is not the issue. You can almost wrap aluminum foil between the connections and, as long as there's continuity, it'll transmit the signal without alteration. You may have a ground loop issue, try making sure they are both firmly grounded to the same source and go from there.

Both the TV and speakers are plugged in to the same source, a surge protected power strip. Should I try a different power strip and see if that works?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cellular Suicide posted:

The noise going away with the TV off is a good sign to point towards a grounding issue, try to connect two unpainted surfaces between the speakers and the TV with some spare wire. For quickness, you might even just find a case-mounting screw on each device (make sure it's a metal screw going into a metal part of the case). Back each screw out just a bit, wrap a stripped end of wire around the screw and tighten them back down.

Geirskogul's advice was way better than mine - try to find an unpainted, bare metal portion of each device and connect them by attaching a wire between them. If the humming still occurs there probably isn't a 'clean' (sorry for being vague, I don't have a better word for this) signal path in the speakers to handle being turned way up with a very low input volume. Some of the better (Millet hybrid) amps I've built can handle being turned to max without much extra noise or distortion, while the cheaper (CMOY or similar) ones distort badly near full volume.

Ok, I gotcha now. So if it does turn out to be a grounding issue how do I fix it? I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just a lovely amp on the part of bose, but I've had it apart to clean the volume control and it seemed pretty substantial so who knows. I also have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors I could hook up and see what happens.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Be careful with these, they might make you realize how terrible the Bose stuff sounded :v:

Haha yeah those are connected to my desktop along with a powered sub for music. The Bose are actually decent for a TV, WAY better than using any stock TV speakers, but I have considered upgrading my desktop with bigger monitors and putting the M-Audio monitors with the TV. For now the Bose are doing a decent job, I've had them for two decades now and they have been through multiple CRT's and now an LED TV :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, if the tether works I'll just leave it, one more wire added to the nest won't hurt I guess. Thanks!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Check rockauto for replacement lamps, they were only $25 each for my camry so i just replaced them and it looks ten times better. On the other hand $120 each for the Protege no loving way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hate watching movies that were filmed near where I live because it's always like OH poo poo WHAT LEO IS GETTING MAULED BY A BEAR NEAR THE 7-11?

Spring Breakers was filmed on my beach, I remember one of the producers coming to our bar asking for empty beer cans to film a party scene. Was kinda fun to watch it and figure out exactly where they were shooting, but the main thing I got from it was James Franco lines like "Y'all like Beyonce?" "LOOK AT MY poo poo" and "THIS IS HOW WE DO IN ST.PETE'S!!"

It's St.Pete not St.Pete's dumbass :rolleyes:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got an interview tomorrow as a lamination operator. Whatever that means...

It means you'll be working in a factory, congrats!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Factory work sucks balls, I'd rather work in a quiet office imo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've never worked in an office thankfully so I can't really speak to that, however I did work in a factory for Molex running a machine that made solderless connectors and it was a miserable experience, but YMMV.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It earns the R-Rating big time and it looks like they cut a few things that were too harsh even for that.

That's kind of too bad because my son really wants to see it. He's gonna be pissed when we leave him with grandma :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nothing wrong with embellishing a resume, everybody does it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Valentine's day is a scam perpetrated by retailers :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I liked the new star wars movie :shrug:

• Locked thread