Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Leyonhelm is still better than having the Lib that would be in his place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lots of lecturing to people paying no attention. Checks out.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

They'd outsource it to Transfield, who would make the computer systems unusable and the phone service would be useless. This would force everyone to show up to a centrelink in person, which have all been converted into detention camps.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's part of the retirement plan from politics.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably a limited rollout to a combination of swing seats and places where your mates live.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

The Guardian has a fun tool to let you put together your own budget cuts/allocations: http://www.theguardian.com/australi...rms-interactive

Oh man I got to buy all the things I wanted and still had 60 billion left over.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Just more disenfranchisement. We'd have to fight for our right to party.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A universal basics Card in Australia would be a Coles/Woolies giftcard.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ah yes, that negative income tax will help me pay the bills after I lose my job.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Scott Morrison was upset with the Guardians budget balancing thing because there was no kill the poor option.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When your main aim is shifting the burden of tax, ie cutting corporate tax and personal income tax and raising and broadening the gst, you end up 5 B in the red.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

BINGO!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Warren Truss to retire as early as tomorrow, apparently.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-10/warren-truss-expected-to-retire-as-early-as-tomorrow/7157176

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ruddock announces retirement. Truss to announce retirement. Gearing up to have positions settled before an election by the looks of it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's a pro-multiculturalism sticker, right?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Gotta give them the benefit of the doubt. These guys probably would sell out for a fake watch.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Saving 2.5 B is probably made up since offshore is more expensive than onshore and community processing.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The news is that he's doing it now, it's all election gearing. When is the latest the election can happen?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-15/treasurer-hints-at-negative-gearing-crackdown/7167346

There really isn't any detail on what he thinks is excessive or what he wants to do about it. But I still feel like it's a bizarro world type of day seeing that headline, even if it's likely to be hollow.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Gorbash posted:

14/01/2017 -this House expires on 11 November, then 10 days top issue writs, 27 days for nominations, and 31 days until polling Saturday, but it won't be that late.

Just with all the stuff the Libs are doing to get their house in order for an election, I was wondering if it's timely for the expected election date, or if they are going for something early.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Has anyone posted that Baird and Abbott have endorsed against Bishop for preselection?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-16/abbott-baird-write-references-for-bronwyn-bishop-rival/7170494

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-17/call-to-swap-rego-fees-for-user-pays-road-system/7175434

quote:

Infrastructure Australia report: Scrap vehicle registration fees and fuel excise in exchange for charging for road use

Vehicle registration fees and fuel excise charges could be abolished to make way for a user-pays road system if the Federal Government adopts the recommendations of a landmark infrastructure report.

The Infrastructure Australia report recommended charging drivers for using roads as a way of reducing congestion and helping fund major projects.

The report included nearly 80 recommendations which could boost the economy by an estimated $40 billion and leave the average household about $3,000 a year better off.

The report recommended a public inquiry, possibly led by the Productivity Commission or Infrastructure Australia, into the existing funding system for roads and the development of a user-pays model for motorists.

Introducing such a model "will require the removal of familiar taxes and charges such as excise on fuel and registration fees", the report said.

"The existing approach to charging for road use is not well understood by users," it said.

"Many users see roads as free, or at least free at the point of use.

"Fuel excise is charged at the fuel pump, but is not disaggregated from the per-litre cost, nor displayed on the fuel docket in the same way as the GST.

"Together, these factors further the misconception that roads are free and create public perceptions that reform is about new taxes rather than fixing the current flawed charging system."

Report calls for revival of Melbourne's dumped East West Link

Infrastructure Australia identified 93 priority projects across the country, including new metro rail systems in major cities, but it warned current spending levels were insufficient to meet those needs.

One of the priority projects was Melbourne's dumped East West Link road project.

The report found the east-west corridor to the north of Melbourne's CBD is one of the city's major congestion challenges.

"The audit found that this corridor had the highest 2011 road congestion delay cost in Melbourne, with a delay cost of $73 million," it said.

"This is expected to worsen by 2031, with delay cost increasing to $144 million."

The Andrews Government scrapped the East West Link after it was elected in 2014 at a cost of more than $1 billion.

Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas said the State Government would "build the infrastructure Victorians voted for".

"Now that IA has identified a large list of projects that Victorians did in fact vote for, that are supported by business cases, we'll be proceeding with those and not the dud East West Link," he said.

"The business case produced by the previous government makes it clear that the East West road failed to deliver the traffic solutions to that east-west congestion."

But the Victorian Opposition's treasury spokesman Michael O'Brien said the report showed the Andrews Government was making a mistake.

"Infrastructure Australia is clearly saying the East West Link is a top priority," he said.

"It's needed now, and Mr Andrews should swallow his pride, apologise to Victorians for the money he's wasted, and put East West Link back on the table."

Other high priority initiatives include the WestConnex project from Sydney's M4 to M5, stage 2 of the Gold Coast light rail project and the Forrestfield Airport Rail Link in Perth.

Make drivers pay for the roads they use, tracked how? What put a toll both at the end of every street? The fuel excise is a way of making you pay for the driving you do that is relatively simple to implement. Without details it seems pretty dumb. Anyone read the report?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not that specific report (I'm skimming through now), but replacing fuel excise with congestion pricing is a pretty standard suggestion. The general idea isn't to put tolls everywhere but in areas like city CBDs where you want to reduce traffic. It also has the benefit of accounting for hybrid or petrol-free cars.

E: There's a recommendation to start tracking heavy vehicles (via satellite etc) and charging them based on road usage, with the argument being that lots of these trucks are already tracked, that one truck causes more road damage than a thousand cars, and that successful similar schemes have been implemented elsewhere.

I suppose that's one way, but it's different from how the article presented it. Problem with reporting, I guess.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably found a better use of the funds anyway.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Nah, it'd have to be mandatory GPS ankle bracelets. Can't miss the meta data from cyclists and public transport users.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cracked did a photoshop thing about superhero movies. Someone made one about Julie Bishop.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Randomise the order once, then just rotate it So like:

A, B, C, D, E,...
B, C, D, E, F,...

etc, so there is equal distribution of "left most" for all parties, but you don't need every combination. Just X combinations where X is the number of parties or groups.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

"Negative gearing has been around for over 100 years!"

To quote wikipedia:
"In July 1985, the Hawke/Keating government quarantined negative gearing interest expenses (on new transactions), so interest could only be claimed against rental income, not other income. (Any excess could be carried forward for use in later years.) What is less appreciated is that Hawke/Keating introduced negative gearing only six months prior. Previous to their initial decision the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (As Amended) had quarantined all property losses from deduction against income from personal exertion (other business or salary and wage income). Any losses incurred in any one year would be accumulated on a register and would only be allowed as a deduction from income from property in succeeding years. In so doing property income and property losses were in one 'bucket' and personal exertion income and losses were in another 'bucket'.

This ensured that either at personal level and more importantly at a national level, that property losses would not be subsidized by income from personal exertion. In applying this formula, all previous governments thereby isolated and consequently discouraged capital speculation being subsidized from the general income tax receipts pool."

So basically, you could only claim losses from your investment loan against your rental income. Which makes sense.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Raising revenue to cut revenue.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

More trees the better, though. Barren suburbs are horrendous. On corners though is ridiculous.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Making schools safe for children is bullying - an elected official.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

MonoAus posted:

My partner works maintaining street trees for a city council in Perth. He' s always said that there's regulations about vegetation not blocking line of sight and is often called to remove trees that residents complain about because of that.

What's worse is planting trees under powerlines only to have to heavily prune them when they inevitably encroach.

What type of line of sight? Driving/safety, or just "My views!"

Yeah, in areas with powerlines it's different. But in some suburbs with underground lines, some are pretty tree-less.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Question for the thread based on an anecdote.

We were talking about negative gearing at lunch and while one of my co-workers think Labor's position is to unceremoniously drop it (and that Liberal will phase it out except for new buildings, which is the Labor position) and that it would effect me, a person with a single home, by the market dropping as all the investors dropout. Hence if my house value drops by 50 grand the bank will then charge me that.

Is this in any way true? I honestly don't care if my house value drops as long as my daughter will eventually be able to own a home or apartment rather than rent forever.

Also it's a bad investment if you rely on tax breaks to make your investment work.

Not exactly. The bank isn't going to charge you money, but if the loan to value ratio of your home which has secured a loan drops, your interest rate may change slightly. But this is only likely to have an effect at the start of the loan, since after a while you've paid off enough that the LVR has already dropped from when you started. The thing is that you're still paying back the mortgage regardless of what your house price is, so if the price dropped like a stone, theoretically, you're paying it off for an asset that is worth far less. But, if you're living in the place, the value isn't going to affect you since you can't access the value unless you sell it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Generally. not much. People can only pay so much rent.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The great cornerstone of civilisation: bullying children.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Stopping bullying is bullying.
You're intolerant of my intolerance.

etc.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A million dollar house in Sydney.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I don't support the senate voting changes, but I still support the Greens.
I guess there are more important issues, and I can't expect a party to be an exact copy of my opinions all the time.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I guess I'll have to vote for the ALP. I have no choice. OH, offshore processing. OH being weak on marriage equality. OH being held to ransom by their right wing factions. Nevermind. Guess I gotta vote LNP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Such a shame we don't have preferential voting so we have to compromise on our values when we vote or we're throwing our vote away.

• Locked thread