Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Birb Katter posted:

High Court has thrown out the case about offshore processing being illegal

Wait, that means those 30+ babies will be sent to Nauru right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Unrelated: John Howard said yesterday that gun control was a significant contributor to the rise of One Nation.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/conversations/john-howard-gun-control-20-years-on-from-port-arthur/7133042

quote:

I have no doubt that discontent about gun laws played some role in the emergence of One Nation under Pauline Hanson. It wasn't the main reason, but it was a subsidiary and quite important reason. A lot of people who felt part of the gun culture, and I'm not talking about farmers here, I'm talking about people who like firing guns for fun, may have seen themselves as the part of society that had been passed by by economic change and felt left out and alienated. Pauline Hanson appealed to them.

That made it very hard. Rob Borbidge, the Queensland premier, was extremely courageous. He was different from any of the other National Party leaders because he was the premier of a National Party-dominated Coalition government. He'd only been in for a short period of time. I rang him and he said, 'John, this is going to be very, very difficult for me.' I said, 'I understand that Rob, but I've got to do it.' He said, 'Well I'll back you but please understand how difficult it's going to be for me.'

He never wavered. He was defeated at the next election and the strength of the One Nation vote in the 1998 Queensland election was the main reason why he lost. He paid the heaviest price of all and I've always acknowledged his courage.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I think the Young SA Greens consists entirely of people from this thread

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

TheMightyHandful posted:

promoted linksfrom around the web
Recommended by Outbrain

3D house in a day
REALESTATE.COM.AU

How Coconut Oil Will Change Your Life... 20 Ways
PERFECT VACATION

Thinking about going solar? This offer might make you switch
SOLAR POWER & SOLAR ENERGY | AGL

These 13 Pictures Will Show You How Terrifying The Ocean Can Be
AFRIZAP WORLD
About this Content

I don't want to be mean because you're probably just phone posting but :eyepop: at that copy/paste job

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Anidav posted:

Pictured: Clive Palmer counting all the money he saved after the scrapping of the carbon tax, sources say it was put in a vending machine. The can of cola got stuck, Mr. Palmer then bought the vending machine itself.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
My favourite Luna Park story is the one they built in Adelaide that couldn't get expansion approval from the Glenelg council so instead they just paid 1000 people to dismantle the entire theme park and move it to Sydney and then expand it there.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Sorry guys it isn't cool to use anyone's disability as an argument against them. Please stop. Even if the person has explicitly used their disability as a bargaining chip. There are so many other ways to show how hosed up what SL is advocating that it really only makes the disability argument look like a dog act.

Amethyst posted:

Awesome to see a bunch of poseurs who will scream at the slightest ideological sin using a person's mental illness for ammo in a flame war.

Yeah, seriously. I didn't really contribute to this debate but making fun of someone for having autism or obesity is definitely arsehole behaviour.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Regulating people's lives with "party licences" has got the be the most Australian thing I've ever heard.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

bowmore posted:

Some people need it though, so many dickheads

Honestly, as a solution there's a possibility it might improve violence and I'd love the schadenfreude of dickheads having their licences revoked. But that's just the problem, so much of Australian politics is motivated by spite and wanting to take things away from people we don't like (always with increased regulation) and we're all guilty of it. I guess if it's only applied to people with convictions for violent crime I don't have a problem with it.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Recoome posted:

Wasn't Barnaby Joyce the guy who is sceptical about climate change because it was cold in Canberra one time

Yes, he did point out that somebody was wearing a jumper at 6am in the coldest city in Australia during the coldest month of the year as an argument against climate change.

Cleretic posted:

While yes, Barnaby did say this, I'm sure you can find similarly damning quotes from every member of the LNP.

For some reason I couldn't find a better version of this

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

I remember a Dawkins v Pell episode that was kinda funny, because Pell could not give less of a poo poo, and Dawkins got real exasperated

I think that one's on Youtube

There was another episode where they made Dawkins sit next to Family First senator Steve Fielding, and Fielding blurted out that he is a creationist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewDT-r00eCU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Glad I missed Q&A:
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ers?CMP=soc_567

quote:

Asked by host Tony Jones if there was an “end in sight” for detainees, new trade minister Steven Ciobo said the government “give people options to resettle in a third country”

After interjections by Labor MP Terri Butler, who said the government “had four people go to Cambodia” under that option and that 30 months for detainees was “a disgrace”, Ciobo shot back: “Terri, what’s your position? Do you support offshore detention or not?”

Butler was then asked by an audience member if the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, would “listen to our party” by taking on board a NSW Labor conference motion at the weekend calling for the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, to let asylum seekers “in limbo” stay in Australia.

She reconfirmed federal Labor’s position that there were “good, strong arguments that offshore detention is necessary to avoid what is colloquially called a pull factor” drawing asylum seekers by boat to Australia.

Jones then put it to Ciobo and Butler that both Coalition and Labor policies were that “under no circumstances should those people come to Australia”.

Ciobo responded: “It’s the same policy. This is the madness of Labor’s position.”

Butler accused the government of thinking “you’ve got to have people living in poverty and pain when what you should have done is processed them and got them resettled as quickly as possible”.

Ciobo replied: “You’re being a complete hypocrite.”

Some crazy Canadian right-wing guy dropped the economic migrant line but then apparently criticized offshore detention:

quote:

Canadian author Mark Steyn, after saying he would “play the token rightwing madman”, upbraided the government for failing to “own the problem” of detention centres or honour its responsibility to deal “expeditiously” with refugee claims.

Steyn said he was “broadly unsympathetic” to what he described as “nonsense” attempts to paint “economic” migrants seeking access to first-world countries as refugees.

“That said, I have problems with what is going on in Nauru and Papua New Guinea, which seems to me, as basically an old-school imperialist, to be colonialism with all the defects and none of the benefits,” he said.

“If you are going to warehouse people in essentially former Australian colonies, I think you have an obligation to process them expeditiously.”

Steyn said the government had “a responsibility to own the problem, so you don’t contract it to a private contractor”.

“The government of Australia – if it’s going to do some deal with the government of Nauru or the government of Papua New Guinea to have some camps there – has a responsibility to run those camps and ensure, for example, there are first-class medical facilities there,” he said.

“There is absolutely no reason why people should be there two-and-a-half years and why they should be there in those conditions … two-and-a-half years under a camp run by private contractors is not an acceptable policy.”

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Quality stuff

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

open24hours posted:

They'll prob start installing some sort of backdoor on cars so the cops can just turn the engine off remotely.

Hopefully with steering and brakes that aren't dependent on the engine in any way :v:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Participation marks were a thing when I did stats, mostly because the lectures were boring as gently caress and people wouldn't rock up to them otherwise.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Do people not realise that ice is just methamphetamine, a drug that has been around since the late 19th century and not some new thing?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

starkebn posted:

something can exist and not be a "thing" people know about because it's not ubiquitous

Yes, but basically everyone getting sucked into the current moral panic about ice knows what meth is

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
If there does end up being substance to those claims that Pell himself committed abuses then all these opinion pieces defending him will really come back to haunt Bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Zenithe posted:

It's Miranda Divine. But yes

Oh, well Bolt's written at least two as well.

• Locked thread