Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Periphery posted:

It's probably not worth the effort or cost associated with collecting the money or the long term costs of negative societal impacts of dumping a 400k+ cost on someone if they can't easily afford it. A user pays system for emergency services is a loving stupid idea.

Actual search and rescue costs nowhere near that much.

Here you're not obligated to pay it back when you need to be rescued (it's generally people who get lost skiing/snowboarding) but a very large number of the people who are rescued donate the cost of their rescue to S&R. It's usually in the $5-10k range, and that's usually including the use of a helicopter to try and find and/or extract them.

The medical bills afterwards, on the other hand, might come up to that much depending on the injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anidav posted:

I put on my shorts and cowboy hat.

hahahahah

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Think of a man spinning around holding a bucket on a string. With the bucket being the Earth and the man being the sun.

It takes a lot of energy to climb up the string to reach the man, but very little to be thrown out and away from the bucket.

Wait but shouldn't gravity be pulling things towards the sun, doing the opposite of the centrifugal force with the bucket??

I'm not even taking physics but now I need to know how this works

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

It is doing that but gravity doesn't have anywhere near as much force so it's not going to have much effect.

What's the force that's pulling things out of the solar system then?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

Nothing is pulling them out, earths momentum is pushing it out.

Ahhhh cool, thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

That's just a product of the earths inertia. Reduce it to Newtonian laws and it becomes simpler.

Assume for ease of use a circular stable orbit. At any given point, the earth travels perpendicular to the Suns gravitational pull. If you were to stop gravity, inertia would carry the earth in a straight line perpendicular to the last point it was affected by gravity (think cutting the rope and the bucket flies off)

The effect of gravity is that it constantly changes the earths heading to keep it perpendicular to the gravitational force.

Centrifugal force isn't actually a thing, it's just a label given to the effects of inertia to make it possible to model something with a different frame of reference.

Science is so loving cool.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

That was your take away from this? Me, I'm finding a bucket and a string and going to spin around in circles giggling at how fun spinning buckets are.

Also a good plan.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's so loving terrible.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-21/asylum-seekers-leave-nauru-for-life-in-canada/7187416

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm the first to admit I speed way too much and occasionally break other road rules to make my life easier but jesus loving christ how are you so loving stupid as to not realize that if you hit someone at a pedestrian crossing that is ALWAYS your fault?? You shouldn't have a drivers license, holy poo poo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laserface posted:

I dont think anyone is arguing that, Im not. Being a pedestrian is not a right to throw away your concern for your own personal safety though and just take right of way without a second thought, because as we have discussed, not all pedestrians or drivers are paying attention.
A Saucy Bratwurst certainly is arguing that, and that's who my post was aimed at.

Yeah, you should be careful as a pedestrian because sometimes drivers aren't paying attention, but if they hit you in a crossing, it's still their fault.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

If you are driving safely and to the law a d someone walks in front of you cause you banned being able to hear a car cause you are a weenie and it intimidates you, its not your fault.

Uh, yeah, it is.

I drive a Prius. If I start driving slowly enough, the gas engine cuts out completely and it's silent. And yet I've still never hit anyone with my car, because I'm a responsible person and understand that driving safely enough to NOT HIT loving PEOPLE WITH MY CAR is a major part of being allowed to have a driver's license.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

My husband's family owned a Mitre 10 in small town NSW which he ran for like 10 years and he's like "yeah the poo poo they had to deal with..."

He usually paid his female employees more than the men because they'd work twice as hard just to get "thanks sweetheart can you get me one of the men on the floor to help me find a nail?"

Also my husband knows literally nothing about hardware despite running the store, and whenever a male customer would be talking to him and a female staff member they'd always ask everything and look exclusively at him and he'd just go "I don't know why you're asking me, I don't know anything about this, but she does!"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In the Canadian housing bubble thread we're bemoaning the fact that if house prices in Vancouver drop 20-30% that still takes us back to literally last year's prices.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We have pedestrian crossing lights here, but I've never seen them anywhere else in the province, and the lights don't have a walk symbol or anything for the pedestrians to know it's safe to walk. So they hit the button, and the light flashes to make cars stop, but then the pedestrians don't see anything change in front of them so they wonder if it works and they're allowed to cross, and so they just stand there while the lights flash without crossing and basically it's a great way to lose faith in humanity.

The lesson here is to put a walk symbol for the pedestrians too!

It's actually a bit baulking, I KNOW how it works and even I feel weird pressing the button and just immediately walking without anything having to change.

They're such a good idea though. Makes it sooo much easier to know when there's pedestrians around in places without great vision of the sidewalks, especially at night.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

Pedestrians should all be given rocket propelled grenades. That way they can fight back at cars with the equivalent firepower. Cars will be a lot more polite when it comes to giving way to pedestrians when they can be blown to bits at the drop of a hat.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

hooman posted:

"People are ignoring the problems that I, a white straight male, have!"

Unless he's arguing "FFS just give the gay people rights this is a settled issue so we can work on other problems".

I think that is in fact what he is arguing, that there are more important things to worry about.

• Locked thread