Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Blut posted:

I don't think Irish people are particularly racist. Irish people tend to be quite ignorant of race because of the homogeneity, but they lack the virulent racism you find many places elsewhere in the world. The 'racism' of older Irish people is just down to a lack of experience with other races. They wouldn't see anything wrong with making jokes about black people for example because they might have gone their whole life without meeting one

I wouldn't say that. Plenty of young people here, who grew up without that homogeneity are virulently racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Danny Healy-Rae spouting bollicks in the Dail today.

He's denied man-made climate change and said "God above in charge of the weather and we can't do anything about it".
It makes me wonder how many of our politicians are climate change denialists.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Cabinet posted:

I'm back in Ireland in less than two weeks and I'm regretting my decision now.

Why would you return? I couldn't see myself coming back once I have the experience to work abroad.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Cabinet posted:

I have a sick aunt and I want to help with the family. I'm also taking the opportunity to go back into college. I'm not a Canadian citizen so if I wanted to go into third level here it would cost me way too loving much.

My plan is to be back in Canada as soon as loving possible.

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

I'm glad I used the recession to get a useful degree. Though the constant cuts to the BTEA and rising cost of living made it a difficult challenge.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I guess publicly declaring your desire for power might put off your fellows from letting you near power.

Apparently he's reconsidering his position with the labour party, where would he go, will he start a new party, new labour.
Also if he does quit the party does that affect their speaking rights. Or is it once you start the dail with the minimum 7 you keep that right until a new dail.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Swan Curry posted:

We truly are blessed with the expertise that comes from the Seanad.

I hate that the electorate allowed it to remain on the basis that it would be reformed by some undefined manner.

And now we're stuck with ex-ministers on the government payroll who were parachuted in when they couldn't retain their seat, e.g. James Reilly.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I thought Tallaght was merging with DIT and Blanch to form Ireland's first University of Technology at Grangegorman. Did that go ahead or did the government never pass the required legislation?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I don't know off hand what Google were paying. But reports say Apple was paying 1% since 1991 which was reduced to 0.005% in 2007, that's 5000 paid in tax for every million of profit.
Good thing there wasn't anything that happened after 07 where we would have needed that tax base.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 30, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

happyhippy posted:

It's a pity they don't care about the actual Irish workers.
I live in Cork, and have heard a poo poo ton of horror stories from working at Apple here.

Edit: VVV Yeah. But south west Ireland is call centre country, but even Apple is regarded as bad among them.

Any chance of hearing one of these horror stories.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Wasn't that Joan Burton? Encouraged young, unemployed people to gently caress off to other countries for work.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That escalated quickly. Last I read about it was he would play nice and appeal the decision with a second review. I guess that got ruled out.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Why would they want to solve the rental crisis. The politicians in charge are the upper classes benefiting from the massive transfer of wealth you mentioned.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Like no on could have imagined, the new 20,000 help to buy scheme caused developers to add at least 20,000 to asking price of eligible homes.
http://www.daft.ie/wicklow/new-homes-for-sale/thorndale-delgany-wicklow-61603/
You can see the price difference on the cache of this but the person who updated this ad wasn't smart enough to change the price in the description. So you can see the difference in price since yesterday.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Sinn Fein leading last I checked but does it matter. They won't share with DUP with Arlene as leader and it doesn't look like the DUP will back down on her.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

kustomkarkommando posted:

I think the most it can be is 28/28 - Assuming two SF in East Londonderry (though the SDLP has a sub 100 lead currently).

Where?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I think you are. It's expensive to become an Irish citizen as an immigrant whose resided here long enough to be eligible.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I was asking my missus and hers is 300 for the year. I remember mates used to complain about it being 200~ so maybe they've been increasing the price over the years.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Aren't the current ministers not eligible for their pensions until the two year mark. Can expect Fianna Fail to pull the rug out next Spring when that's happened.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Bedshaped posted:

Today I discovered our constitution has a special provision for "social justice" in the constitution article 43 dealing with private property.

I'd say having per every homeless person; 7 empty homes in the cities and 13 empty homes overall probably fits the bill of a social justice crisis worth invoking that for.

Ironically in the US the right-wing politicians are trying to make their country more based on how they think the constitution writers wanted it while ours are doing the total opposite.

They haven't fixed the homeless crisis by now. How many years was it since the man froze on the steps of the dail. That should have been the kick up the arse but they let more Christmases pass unaltered. Now we've thousands of homeless families when the norm was less than a hundred.

The government have no interest in fixing it. They promised to get people out of emergency accommodations and the solution to that was to rename the hostels to family hubs, and even with that half arsed fix they still missed the target of July.

The ruling party will continue to set deadlines so as to be seen doing something, and then let them slip. Homeless families come from the class that doesn't vote for them. Like the Tories in England said, “I don’t understand why you keep going on about the need for more social housing – it just creates Labour voters."

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
They are ideologically opposed to it. The spending on temporary solutions is massive and would dwarf the cost to build social housing.

Though I was once told the reason for funnelling tax money to private solutions regarding hotels and hostels is because of EU rules on government spending. Much like Irish Water was to take water infrastructure spending off the government books, emergency accommodation spending is off the books where social housing wouldn't be. Not sure how true that is I never verified it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anyone got suggestions where to emmigrate to?

I make what I would have considered a very decent salary as an electronic engineer. But when half it gets eaten by rent and a chunk to car insurance and its running costs; I'm left with sweet gently caress all to spend on myself. And the traffic/public transport in Dublin seems to be getting worse.
I could afford more luxuries 8 years ago when I was living at my parents gaff on the dole and I didn't have to deal with the stress of a lovely commute.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
No they don't but it's a role that I could easily step into something similarly in most places.
I was thinking France or Germany, but I heard Germany is having its own issues with a rent crisis. And my grasp of both languages is currently limited.

quote:

Don't go work in the States anyway, you'll have plenty more to complain about between rent and healthcare costs, and the lovely work conditions.
My experience in business dealings with American's they seem to have two modes of work culture. Workaholics who don't take holidays and work till late in the evening in the hope of climbing higher the corporate ladder. And more laid back work to live types. Would be able duck out of work early to pick up the kids from school.
Though both types seem to depend on the companies culture, it's a top down work culture.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 14, 2018

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

School Nickname posted:

He had to go to a Garda station (5 mins away from work) to get it stamped, then drop it off at Ennis. :effort: Taking the guts of two hours out of his day was too much. I imagine a lot of younger people are like this.

I don't recall it requiring attending a garda station before. I tried update my address on the registry and decided against it when I found out I'd have to go get a Garda stamp. I'll just pop into my old polling station as it is in the city.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That debate was a poo poo show. RTE have really done the yes side no favours. They let the no side spout off nonsense and untruths without challenge, and allowed them to shout down the yes response.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Given the circumstances I'm not sure if in the same position I'd see a killer with a blade and recognise it's not a proper knife and only a stanley blade.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Paddy cosgrove is a dope and the web summit is a scam.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I would consider Sinn Fein left wing, especially considering their Marxist leanings pre troubles. Though I guess that element ended up in the workers party.

Still they are fairly progressive on many matters today.

Sorry misread thought you said we have no left parties. It’s a bit shocking but not really when you consider we were under the thumb of the church, and when we broke away from them we cow towed to the almighty dollar and US multinationals. And with a history of emigration and even an encouragement of it during bad times, the demographics that might be interested in having a left government end up leaving for greener pastures.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 21, 2018

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Who can be trusted to stick to their guns economically.
It seems any left wing party anywhere gets into power suddenly see the neoliberal light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
100% mortgage relief. Time to buy a rental property and have the tenants pay the principal and the tax payer pay the interest.

• Locked thread