Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kurtofan posted:

What does Fail means in Irish.

Don't worry about it, the English meaning works much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Captain Gordon posted:

Maybe I am an idiot, but the Dail exchanging (yet again!) the shower of shites that is FG for another tested and proven shower of shites that is FF, is just yet another reason why I don't want to live on our gay corruption island anymore.

But, then again, I immigrated to America (legally), so hail Trump I guess :cry:

You know, I used to be all 'gently caress this lovely country, I'm outta here!' for a long time too, but having lived in Australia, Britain and America for a while actually made me appreciate that Ireland ain't anywhere near that bad.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Captain Gordon posted:

I understand where you are coming from, but I think that's because being an immigrant anywhere sucks. I feel it a lot here, even though I am a white male living in liberal dream state of California.

That said, there is no way in hell I would be able to earn any decent money or afford a house or even a car working an IT job in Ireland. I would probably be a wage-slave for the rest of my life to some celtic tiger era cuck manager that doesnt have an ounce of competence about them, but got the job because they know someone in the org (which is, coincidentally, how our politics work). No, gently caress that, I would rather have the Orange Pissbaby as my president (as long as he doesn't deport me, lol)!

This whole post comes off as a rant, and I am sorry for sounding like that. The whole Irish politics thing is a touchy subject and it was a huge contributor to me immigrating. I would never consider coming back, because I simply do not see any change on the horizon - the literal retards who voted for FG are going to vote for FF next, ergo, the circlejerk of poverty, misery and bipartisan oligarchic politics will continue forever.

I guess I don't see the great difference in that regard between Ireland and most places? Politicians are always cynical assholes, but good god living in England was a loving eye opener, crazy expensive, social services that seemed increasingly hosed up and underfunded and that arrogant, xenophobic atmosphere that you always got in England that seemed taken to an extreme around the time of Brexit. America was interesting but I really missed the little aspects that I never considered before, stuff like being able to operate easily without a vehicle or not being beholden to your job in so many ways. I also had a bad experience with a gun I don't think I would have gotten elsewhere. Australia was the best but living up north in Queensland had a lot of the same problems that America had in terms of infrastructure and gently caress me, you really got acquainted with Australia's painfully obvious racism problems there. Melbourne is very nice though.

Point is, Ireland's not bad at all on the whole, even if the politicians are chancers I always get the feeling there's a greater understanding that certain aspects of the welfare state aren't to be touched than in other parts of the Anglosophere.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Bryter posted:

The British commentariat are taking the election results well

gently caress me, I hope the UK fractures into fifty nations while I'm still alive.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kurtofan posted:

whats the penalty for blasphemy

Damning your immortal soul to the fires of hell.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I want to get something off my chest, god I loving hate this country and its pathetic kowtowing tax policies towards giant multinationals. And I most of all hate the way other Irish people think its some genius national policy to make the country the Cayman Islands of Western Europe, on reddit some guy said this to me: 'Im irish and i think its genius, as my moderately well paying job at a multinational underlines'.

The worst part is the way that the government and people who support this kind of thing keep on trotting out the insipid rhetoric of 'Poor little Ireland must protect it sovereignty from the mean ol' EU and fight for its right to allow gigantic faceless megacorps to give loving nothing back to society because they grease the hands of the right people and everyone else believes the dumb propaganda, just as James Connolly envisioned :cryingGuinnesspint:'. I hate that whinging nationalist bullshit enough already and seeing it being exploited to suck the dick of international capital is beyond pathetic, what the gently caress's the point of being independent if noone in this country has enough dignity to hold such forces to any sort of accountability?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ora Tzo posted:

Just wondering about how the environment was surrounding your marriage referendum?
Like right now, ours in Australia is nonbinding plebescite and is a complete farce, in addition to being pretty toxic.
How bad did it get?

I don't remember it being particularly negative. The worst stuff I'd hear from people like my dad, who in principle had no problem with gay marriage, complain that the campaign was being hijacked by Sinn Fein (yes, before anyone says anything I heard a lot about "those murdering bastards!" when I was growing up). I believe only one county overall voted against it.

The Abortion referendum will be far more divisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Yanis Varoufakis weighs in on Ireland. This resulted in lots of salty comments on Reddit about poor little Ireland being bullied about being a Neoliberal money pit.

• Locked thread