Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, yeah, how long until the self driving cars make us listen to/watch commercials on our center console screen like most gas pumps do now?

They've already got attention-sensing tech to make sure your eyes are on the road, they can repurpose it so the cars will pull over if your eyes aren't watching the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Well, three-quarters and a bit ovoid anyway...

Close enough. Ship it!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Isn't using human poo as fertilizer a bad idea, due to poo born disease?

Everything about 19th century cities is a bad idea.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Here's something you all need to hear - nowhere else in the loving world does this. Not just now. I mean ever.
(Looks at British Empire.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The main aim if this is to shut off the secondhand market. 'Shoplifting' is merely an excuse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The real commercial-grade stuff you won't normally find in a hardware store because it costs five times as much and only actual tradies are going to buy it. And they buy from outlets that target trade customers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

"Its not full of tax evaders, just people laundering money.....often to evade taxes.....oops."

The fact that they are looking to change the law to make what they're doing illegal means that it's not currently illegal meaning it's tax avoidance not tax evasion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Amazon actually offers better tools than basically anybody else to set up multi-region resiliency, but as mentioned you have to actually use the tools to build what you want.

Remember that crypto guy who didn't pay for non-volatile storage, and eventually rebooted his instance and lost literally everything?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Read The Space Merchants by Pohl/Kornbluth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not enough people mixed it up with Splatoon.

That was my thought when I first heard the name 'squid game', bur I was confused what Korea had to do with it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

The gently caress? Why? Why is that loving possible?

Disruption!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Debate and Drumsticks › Tech Nightmares: Accidentally Malicious

Yeah, this all sounds way cooler and far more convenient than having to just put a key in the door to unlock and start my car and having to keep a spare set around.

Most car keys these days are contactless. You just need to be carrying them to work.
The difference from the Tesla version is that this does not rely on an external server and functioning internet connection.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, but imagine if there was a cap on the total amount of gold that could exist in the game at once, or on the total amount that can be generated gamewide in a given time period. So if people gold farm hard enough then they could literally own all the gold in the game, making it impossible to get gold except by buying it from gold farmers, who could use their monopoly on gold to charge insane prices.
At which point everyone abandons the game (or never starts in the first place) and the virtual gold becomes worthless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

He said the company had tested the safety implications of not using radar but provided no details.
This is true, they have done extensive safety testing. In realistic, lifelike conditions!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Look, we can still make this worse. Clearly you should have to have an NFT for each of your car's systems.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OTOH a lot of the stuff you used to do to old cars you just... don't do at all anymore. It doesn't need that level of continual maintenance. It goes to a professional at the same frequency as before, and the smaller jobs that you used to do yourself are now elided entirely.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NFTs are a Veblen Good. You have to price high to get any suckers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

withak posted:

I haven’t heard of carbon monoxide being an issue in gassy tunnels except for when there are engines running.

Once the batteries touch off the high temperature will set fire to the passengers. Low oxygen leads to incomplete combustion, producing CO.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why isn't my dishwasher on the blockchain yet? What if I neex to trustlessly prove that my dishes were washed?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sextro posted:

I would like somebody to describe what it would look like if Tesla was "not allowed" to do the bad thing they are currently doing. Gonna pull their FCC licenses so they can't distribute the software? Is that even something the FCC is capable of doing?

Find whoever at Tesla signed off on releasing the software (probably Elon), and inform them that they will face individual (not corporate) liability for any injuries or deaths resulting from Full-Self-Drive.

Watch a software update disabling FSD be released 14 minutes later.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How about wain?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You know what I don't trust? Mathematics! There could be anything hidden in there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"If." Musk just wants people to talk about him, he doesn't wany to actually expend money buying Twitter. The deal will never close.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

These have actually been pretty common for almost half a decade now, and we're seeing ones that can even do chip and pin, which is why a lot of card issuers are moving to single use random card numbers that are assigned per use.

Isn't the entire point of chip-and-pin that you can't read the private key off it? Reader sends a code, chip converts it into a different code and sends it back, without ever revealing the other half of the keypair.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

What possible reason could there be for not having windows?! Why would anyone agree to that?

If you want to be serious, there are potential weight-savings in having a pure stressed-monocoque construction without big openings.

That's not why the person who 'designed' that graphic did it though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

quarantinethepast posted:

What would you recommend from him to read?

I'm not sure I would recommend it as-such. Very good, but also very depressing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

And they really REALLY want you to put everything on iCloud so they can continuously tell you you're running out of space and ask you to buy more iCloud.

Would you like to buy more cloud?

Windows is continually bugging me to 'finish setting up' and move everything to their cloud. And the only option that isn't "Yes! I'll do it right now!" is "I don't have time right now but I'll make an appointment for you to remind me again". There is no way to opt out entirely.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Should just have a sign they can tap.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also presumably they get to treat you as a new hire and reset your progress towards earning any kind of benefits. They don't want anyone to be in a position for years and risk them becoming essential. Firing people regularly may be inefficient, but it reinforces everyone being an identical replaceable cog.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

How do you get on and off? Does it have another hanger built in?

You can check-out any time you want.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

This would be loving sweet actually, and use less power than a bunch of monitors.

You're limited by the resolution of your VR device. Your entire field of vision had to fit into that, meaning each virtual monitor will have dogshit resolution.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VR is in its third decade of being a gimmick. I'm not holding my breath.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

on android there is an option to save the photo to a secure local folder that is not automatically uploaded.

Until they change default settings in an update and upload them all anyway.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's baffling to me is that there's no added value to having this be a big national company other than VCs subsidizing it. Coworking spaces, either singular or as local chains, are a dime a dozen.

But have you considered Disruption? And I assume WeWork had an app.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not as easy as "just form a union" in a multinational company with several thousand workers in a variety of fields, spread across 37 physical offices scattered across the globe, and with plenty of remote workers on top of that.

Also, it's way too late. Getting caught talking about unionization when the employer is already planning massive layoffs for unrelated reasons is a good way to guarantee that you'll be among the ones laid off.

And a union relies on the principle of "they can't fire all of us or the company will collapse". If the boss disagrees with this statement to the extent that they're already planning to fire everyone then you've got no bargaining power and there's nothing left to do but run for the lifeboats.

Are severance packages / voluntary redundancy a thing in America? If so, people should be competing to be part of the 75%.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 26, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

The only problem here is the director is probably severely understating the risks of sending out a dumbass proposal that Musk hates.

I'd be much more worried about the risk of sending a proposal that he likes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does this FTX thing means I can stop seeing crypto ads/shills everwhere

I'm afraid not, since this is good for bitcoin actually.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 11, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

Eli Lilly?

Speaking of which, how many engineers will be left at Twitter after the loyalty oath is due? I wouldn't be surprised if only10% signed, but realistically I don't think he'd offer 3 month severance to most of the company.

He's not actually going to pay the severance
(until forced to by class-action suit)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AFAIK the entire payroll department hosed off over the 'hardcore pledge' thing. So there's some intern in there trying to figure out which buttons to push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

See this is why I have spiders in my car.