Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sundae posted:

Also, don't underestimate the sheer loving quantity of bio, biochem, synthetic chem, blah blah people that universities are graduating every year. It's like the lawyer thing--the "started out barrister, ended up barista" thread title on the SA law school thread was only slightly tongue-in-cheek.

It's not tongue in cheek at all. The most successful/happiest poster in that thread is the guy running a taco truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It is, by most accounts, impossible to get Linkedin to give up your personal information. I just checked and they've got three or four accounts under my name- accounts they set up, on their own, with info their system harvested by scraping the internet. Two of them are sending notices to my email inbox.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 2, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I suppose I should delete my LinkedIn account if they even allow me to do that

If you figure out how, I'm pretty sure there's a Macarthur and a Nobel in it for you if you publish the process.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If anyone can find a clean way to link WaPo articles, there's a particularly depressing one about Bitcoin being used by people as a pension investment in Kentucky today.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What is this from?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fully OS'd in permanent linux fork and fully chromitized and loving it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 3, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Let's get back on topic:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 4, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/6tvu91q.jpg :nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Moatman posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH stop calling cryptocurrencies "crypto"! We already have NUMEROUS things that can be shortened to "crypto" and idiots getting sucked into a money pit aren't making that any better

(first sufficiently disturbing deviantart result for "krypto the superdog")

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 4, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

divabot posted:

edit: snap

and that was the last we heard from divabot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

On the other hand, you can also do that completely wrong and violate all manner of HIPPA stuff.

HIPAA, and fwiw it's way, way easier to do things at that level incorrectly than correctly. "re-identification" of anonymized datasets is also increasingly impossible to stop for a sufficiently motivated actor (and advertisers are highly motivated).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

divabot posted:

i can't tell you how much i'm looking forward to GDPR Day.

(my company is quite well prepared and p much everyone is on board with the aims of the GDPR, and also our business model is to get our customers to love us so we want them to be happy with us.)

so many people i know are looking forward to sending variants on the GDPR Nightmare Letter to all manner of organisations.

And we're British. We regard bureaucracy as our favourite blood sport.

ooh, this is similar to some HITECH material I worked with in the US several years back, but much...more so. I love this kind of thing, it drives institutions to the brink. I hope it leads to improved standardization and harmoniz-hahahahahahaah

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Payday 2's not quite a killer app for VR, but by most accounts it's getting closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Good. Let's see how far upstream it can go.