Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

moller posted:

Hrm, I wonder how PetMan is coming along.

Oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

I was going to suggest an f-35 variable fighter retrofit, but now that we have functioning mechanical legs, the military might just be curious enough to burn an extra few billion for some additional testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

pangstrom posted:

A demon that gorged on buckets of your blood and then growled accurate test results over your corpse.

I could've sworn there was a dungeons & dragons monster that does this.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PT6A posted:

I'm amazed Dell still exists at all, frankly.

They make good monitors.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I got an email from yahoo about my old chat account from '98 still being there. I didn't know they kept them that long. Maybe I should take a peek before it goes into the dustbin of history...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

As bubbly as ad tech is it at least has the ability to target users. That's likely more valuable than the combination of television/print/billboard advertising and those are still somehow enormous industries.

Internet ads also typically have the ability to measure if they're actually working in terms of conversions of actual sales, which has been notably absent from the entire advertising industry for most of its existence.

If tv/print/billboards were required to have CTRs, I suspect all forms of advertisements would've cratered by now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

poemdexter posted:

The better question to be asking is who's gonna fill the self driving trucks with gas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I can believe two things at once: that Gawker were bullies who had it coming -- outing that gay executive is only one example -- and that it is a bad thing that Peter Thiel was able to use his billions to destroy them. If I want a test case to be upset about, though, I'll pick the multi-millionaire who tried to take down Mother Jones. That wasn't a libel case, although it was disguised as one; it was SLAPP.

:agreed:

Hulk Hogan going wild in the year 2016. What a time to be alive.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I can see this, but computers are a little different in that they are also a tool. A car can also be a tool but it is different from a computer imho.

Coincidentally, car manufacturers tried to use the DMCA to argue you can't modify your car anymore because it's a computer now, but the Library of Congress came down on that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

duz posted:

I don't drink water because fish gently caress in it. Is there a unicorn to solve that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSicHEybkdg&t=55s

Alternatively, at 1:44

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

computer parts posted:

Chicken Pox vaccine is a pretty big thing too that most people probably won't think about (because they were infected long before it was invented).

I found out about this a few weeks ago and it blew my mind. Knowing there's a generation growing up without getting infected by an incredibly common (but hardly fatal) disease just baffles me, it's like someone found a vaccine for the common cold.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Once again, fiction was too optimistic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

super sweet best pal posted:

I kind of liked using automated checkout at the local Safeway whenever I just needed a couple items. Shame they took it out.

fyi safeway removed them because their models were not compatible with newer EMV credit/debit cards.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

fishmech posted:

How'd they manage that? Most self-checkouts I see in places have the whole card accepting thing mounted separately, and of the same type as the regular cashier stations have.

Did Safeway have custom machines with the card readers integral to the whole thing?

I don't know the details. It's what I was told by employees at two different local safeways.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sarehu posted:

None are fair. You might say one is fair to all male SRE's and the other is fair to all SRE's. But both are unfair to non-SRE's, and it isn't really fair that a longer term SRE gets the same leather jacket as somebody who's going to leave next week, or one that's a semi-retarded SRE gets the same jacket as a good one. It's unfair that the homeless guys out on the street aren't getting leather jackets. It's unfair that I didn't get a leather jacket.

Tax the rich so that everyone can afford leather jackets? I'm down.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sarehu posted:

If society doesn't contribute to "the arts" what ever will happen to art? We won't have any!

R.I.P art 40000 B.C.-2017 A.D.

Do what we do now: Cannibalize previous art forms by changing it just a little bit, give it a new name, then viral market it to millennials over social media.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm gonna start a soylent alternative called "Box" which will be made exclusively from fish, plankton, sea greens and protein from the sea.

You're going to have stiff competition against Li'l Lisa's Patented Animal Slurry.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

exmarx posted:

These juice hustler guys are dumb as hell, they should be lying about how important it is to slow-pour and aerate juice

recovery juice with nanobubbles

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They looked at seattle's boring machine and thought "ONLY one major incident? Well, obviously by the time this is approved we will have better boring technology, which means no more major incidences!"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

This so so wrong.

The whole point of workplace sex is the thrill of not getting caught!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Nobody wants to hear "stop eating delicious junk food and exercise," they want organic health potion and bizarre diet rituals instead. Shortcuts always sell better then the hard way and they always will.

Alternatively, if diet and exercise were covered under health care (gym membership, a diet food program, ect.), I think we'd see more people at least trying it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

You can't just inject someone else's blood in to yourself, you need to separate the fractions and screen the products.

don't forget to reinforce the blood with oxygenated nanobubbles!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Which PIP are you guys talking about?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DeathSandwich posted:

That's my take away of it. VR didn't have a lot of games. They had a lot of game demos and proofs of concept, but they were sorely lacking on the 'actual fully fledged game' department. Granted, the new Resident Evil was 100% VR comparable and apparently worked really well, but that came out months after the hardware launched and after the initial hype had already faded. VR needed some solid actual games that took advantage of the hardware at release. They needed to have a really good racing game played up. They needed to really throw co-marketing dollars at House of the Dying Sun and really push for that as a 'better in VR' experience. They needed some sort of flight sim that wasn't DCS's "Oh my god this panel has 500 buttons and something is beeping at me and I don't know what and it takes hours of studying a technical manual or an actual miracle to get me off the ground" and more like a PilotWings or Microsoft Flight where you could chill out and drift around an island in a hangglider or cruise around in an ultralight with simplified controls or something.

As bad as Mechwarrior Online is, it would've been cool to peek through the side windows of my cockpit, especially when twist blocking. Just not $600 cool.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Imagine a fidget-spinner.. FOR YOUR CAR!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gzHe1247LI

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

the old ceremony posted:

silicone valley

that's my new tech startup disrupting the realdoll market

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

There is some sort of process because low tax continually fails it.

Someone that was perma’d probably works there and flagged him or something.

I'm starting to wonder if the individuals involved in keeping the somethingawful domain on the last page of google search years ago are now working at twitter.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

gently caress, I just threw out my late mother's entire collection! I could've been filthy rich!!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kobayashi posted:

So I was talking to this broad, this dame, this dime, this hooker, this streetwalker, anyway I was talking to this guy and she was like, “read the room bro, and maybe think about the nouns you’re using in the midst of a national referendum on sexual harassment.” But I was like, naw chicka, I’m like, totally an ally, darlin’.

https://vimeo.com/100989067

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
also with streetcar tracks, you can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cktlY8JfvQ

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Horses poop everywhere and bite. I just never go anywhere it's much easier.

If it weren't for having a job, I probably wouldn't leave the house often, considering how many things can be delivered to me now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

divabot posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

IRC *is* a secure and high quality experience and shits on your horrible bloated Electron-wrapped app you horrible fucks

but I can't post emojiis on irc :qq:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Slanderer posted:

Personally, I'm sad that Uber's lovely tech murdered someone

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That was my first thought. Do they really not already have those?

It's called a sperm retrieval machine (kinda nws), but it's more machine than doll.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Jose Valasquez posted:

Technological progress creates jobs too. The call center jobs didn't exist 60 years ago but do now because of technological progress.

Technological progress has been breaking down middle class jobs into lower class ones since the 90's. Up to 47% of all lower class jobs could be eliminated in the next 15 years.

Systemic unemployment is an inevitability and a basic income will be needed to prevent suffering and death.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

oh what a coincidence, that barrier is yellow.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh my God "Musk responded: “We gained no financial benefit. Have asked my team to use a diff example going forward. He can sue for money if he wants, but that’s kinda lame. If anything, this attention increased his mug sales.”"

You could sue us and easily win 100% because we stole from you and are making money off of your work, but that'd make you kinda lame. You don't want to be lame do you?

lol it's the lame list defense

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

fishmech posted:

Lmao at that theater running a projector thing on XP or earlier in 2018. It's surprising the movie companies even let them have that up.

Walgreens still run their tills on xp.

Their inventory management runs in DOS.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Moatman posted:

Do the tills actually touch any payment info? Because if they do that's gonna be one hell of a lawsuit if they ever get got

I'm guessing it's like what OOCC said. I'm very doubtful they would let me look at anything that deeply but sometimes errors and failures happen that give me some clues.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mycomancy posted:

PLEASE go gently caress yourself.

This made me laugh way more than it should've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rent-A-Cop posted:

One is loving with a thing you own, and the other is loving with a thing someone else owns.

Do keep in mind that the line between things we own and things we don't are slowly eroding away, so while it seems obvious to us now, all it takes is corporate lobbying to completely flip that expectation just because computers are involved. It wasn't long ago car manufacturers were arguing that car owners should be prevented from changing their own parts.