Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Don't want to turn this into a beverage thread, but making cold brew coffee is easy and gives you a supply of ready made coffee in the morning. If you need hot coffee in the morning you can easily microwave some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Volcott posted:

So, did anyone buy one of those Theranos monitors? You can get a chunk of their headquarters now.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/297139

did the founders cash out in time, or did they really think they could keep their house of cards going until magic elves built the product they were advertising?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fishmech posted:

And they've certainly never managed to get their manned spaceflight capsule to successfully orbit with a human crew, even though now they claim they'll totes send people in a moon flyby in it next year.

i won't get into the ins and out of your wider point, but here you're mixing up spacex's manned dragon capsule which does have a planned 2018 launch date, but no stated goals beyond orbital test flights, and the nasa orion capsule portion of sls, which had originally been scheduled for a 2018 unmanned lunar flyby as its initial test flight and is now under consideration as a manned mission to shorten the testing timeline. in my opinion it would be a bad call for obvious reasons, but all nasa is currently doing is initial feasibility studies

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 23, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
fairly easy to read a paperback if sitting in those conditions or a paper with a commuter fold standing or sitting

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
reminder that auto companies are totally fine selling safety equipment that they know are actually shotguns pointed at your head, gas tanks that instantly immolate the interior when lightly tapped from behind, and eco-engines that actually spew out particulate matter that give everyone cancer when the inspectors aren't looking

they might have a different sense of road ready self driving cars than the general public

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Capt.Whorebags posted:

What does the FBI do with the bitcoins they seize when taking down criminal dark web sites?

I assume physical cash goes into government revenue but I wonder if the same happens when they get $20m in solved sudokus. Maybe they hand it to the CIA to fund friendly dictators etc.

i know in certain instances of fraud or other financial crimes (and maybe other types), the government is supposed to identify as many victims as they can and make them whole again

this can be complicated, as recent seizures nominally worth billions of dollars have to be very slowly converted into dollars because converting all at once would absolutely tank the existing market

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
jumping through hoops to reinvent the jitney taxi

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it should be noted that the fortune he built on this business is estimated to be one of the largest in all of recorded history

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

eXXon posted:

Speaking of Amazon moving more into low-tech space, they're apparently just installing lockers on sidewalks in public parks because ???

This one too, the gently caress??

i don't know the regulatory details, so i can't be sure if it's actually an issue, but i'm curious if there are potential ada concerns here

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you're going to make a car analogy, then what comes to mind is the millennial experience of boomer parents 'teaching' you by making you hold a torch as they lean over and swear without ever bothering to actually explain or demonstrate anything, then getting irate at you for not knowing how. Also, nagging you to get a driver's licence while refusing to actually give you any lessons. (See also: Sports, relationships, home maintenance and cleaning, basic social skills)

People can't expect to know things they aren't taught, and they aren't taught these things.

is typing and basic computer literacy not taught in school these days? i'll buy that it was the result of growing up during the time that computers were the new hotness that we were going to ride into the future, but i had basic computer literacy and typing classes at several points during my primary and secondary education. some of it might have been elective, but a bunch of it was definitely mandatory

Clarste posted:

I mean, at some point most people are going to have to write a report or an invoice or something for work, right?

maybe at some point ai and voice inputs will kill physically touching computers the same way computers killed cursive

edit: makes you wonder why they had to keep touching input panels in star trek when they can just speak a vague directive at the compute

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 24, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

blunt posted:

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1430152985938628610?s=20

AI really is the gift that keeps on giving.

dang, all of those turn of the century phrenologists would have killed for this poo poo

PhazonLink posted:

ah and there it is the weird goon hateboner for cursive. and maybe even ALL OF HANDWRITING

because allowing big tech companies to have biometric voice data is good AND, allowing some text font to speak for ALL of human output is good.

dont they know the hexagons tile better and are more efficient?

i take no joy in reporting the death of handwriting, i am a dispassionate observer on our march to hand all responsibilities and duties to machines

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there need to be penalties for filing frivolous takedown claims. maybe if computers sending out a bunch of half cocked bullshit cost the company money there'd be changes.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tuxedo Gin posted:

At the end of the day we don't really know though. Look at what leaded gas did to boomers. Who knows what'll happen to us when (if) we grow old. It might not cause cancer but we are still woefully ignorant about the inner workings lf the brain and how environmental factors affect it.

the toxic effect of lead in general and the lead compound used as an additive in gasoline were well understood prior to their widespread introduction to american infrastructure in the early to mid 20th century. workers would regularly die in the early 20's while working in the manufacturing process. it wasn't some super subtle mystery effect that only could be teased out retrospectively

http://www.hvonstorch.de/klima/pdf/blei/seyferth_2003.pdf

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if i remember correctly, a week or two back an adult website bought out a defunct video platform that used to service a bunch of websites in the early to mid 2010's and a bunch of previously dead links to the old video player suddenly went live again with adult videos

this affected a bunch of decade old washington post articles

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bubbacub posted:

Flawless logic here, amazing

too be fair, human drivers do a lot of crashing into poo poo and exploding, so they definitely did an a+ job replicating that

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my understanding is that much of the influencer status symbol stuff is rentals and props. almost none of them have the level of material success they portray, it's prop money, "private plane" interior sets, and rented cars

of course that does take seed money and having the cash reserves to put full time work in, but that's true of so many careers at this point

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Riven posted:

My main issue with it is how hard it’s going to make it for less privileged people to interact with essential govt services. I was doing my return the other day and needed to double check our child tax credit payment numbers, and encountered this thing. I had to take approximately 24 pics of my ID in three different areas of my coworking space before they were accepted and then the only way I could get the facial scanning to work was standing with my back against a plain white door with my elgato key lights on me. Brick was an unacceptable background, and anything less than full power lighting directly on me, but behind the camera, was unacceptable. Bright overhead lighting didn’t work. If I had been home I don’t think I could have finished my taxes.

as someone who doesn't own a smartphone (both because i'm cheap and snobbishly contrarian), anytime i have to deal with an id.me verification has been a giant headache

it was especially stressful when i had a ticking clock to retroactively prove my identity or the state of california would claw back my unemployment insurance money. i can't imagine what folks on the margins who have less time and resources to navigate the opaque alternatives to a smartphone would have gone through

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

His Divine Shadow posted:

Trucks are so loving stupid nowadays. I never had high opinions on trucks as a useful vehicle to begin with except in edge cases but hell they're so ugly now.

Gotta go back ot the 80s to find a decent looking model. Gimme a diesel Datsun, Mazda or Toyota from the 80s over any of these abortions.

i work in conditions that require pickups, and they're super useful working vehicles, but the trend towards taller and heavier tends to actively make them worse at their job. i don't really give a poo poo about my vehicle aesthetics, but what's the loving point if you can't easily reach into the bed and haul poo poo out?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't know if this qualifies as a tech nightmare, but i just got served this ad and it struck me as one of the most horrific dystopian visions of an isolated, disconnected form of existence i've ever seen. right up there with all the big names in science fiction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad35s2Opd3E

thank god corporations are allowing me to insert software between myself and the rest of my household so i won't need to ever carry out even the most basic forms of human interaction

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
apple and meta gave user data to hackers who forged legal requests

quote:

Apple Inc. and Meta Platforms Inc., the parent company of Facebook, provided customer data to hackers who masqueraded as law enforcement officials, according to three people with knowledge of the matter.

Apple and Meta provided basic subscriber details, such as a customer’s address, phone number and IP address, in mid-2021 in response to the forged “emergency data requests.” Normally, such requests are only provided with a search warrant or subpoena signed by a judge, according to the people. However, the emergency requests don’t require a court order.

Snap Inc. received a forged legal request from the same hackers, but it isn’t known whether the company provided data in response. It’s also not clear how many times the companies provided data prompted by forged legal requests.

Cybersecurity researchers suspect that some of the hackers sending the forged requests are minors located in the U.K. and the U.S. One of the minors is also believed to be the mastermind behind the cybercrime group Lapsus$, which hacked Microsoft Corp., Samsung Electronics Co. and Nvidia Corp., among others, the people said. City of London Police recently arrested seven people in connection with an investigation into the Lapsus$ hacking group; the probe is ongoing.

An Apple representative referred Bloomberg News to a section of its law enforcement guidelines.

The guidelines referenced by Apple say that a supervisor for the government or law enforcement agent who submitted the request “may be contacted and asked to confirm to Apple that the emergency request was legitimate,” the Apple guideline states.

“We review every data request for legal sufficiency and use advanced systems and processes to validate law enforcement requests and detect abuse,” Meta spokesman Andy Stone said in a statement. “We block known compromised accounts from making requests and work with law enforcement to respond to incidents involving suspected fraudulent requests, as we have done in this case.”

Snap had no immediate comment on the case, but a spokesperson said the company has safeguards in place to detect fraudulent requests from law enforcement.

Law enforcement around the world routinely asks social media platforms for information about users as part of criminal investigations. In the U.S., such requests usually include a signed order from a judge. The emergency requests are intended to be used in cases of imminent danger and don’t require a judge to sign off on it.

Hackers affiliated with a cybercrime group known as “Recursion Team” are believed to be behind some of the forged legal requests, which were sent to companies throughout 2021, according to the three people who are involved in the investigation.

Recursion Team is no longer active, but many of its members continue to carry out hacks under different names, including as part of Lapsus$, the people said.

The information obtained by the hackers using the forged legal requests has been used to enable harassment campaigns, according to one of the people familiar with the inquiry. The three people said it may be primarily used to facilitate financial fraud schemes. By knowing the victim’s information, the hackers could use it to assist in attempting to bypass account security.

Bloomberg is omitting some specific details of the events in order to protect the identities of those targeted.

The fraudulent legal requests are part of a months-long campaign that targeted many technology companies and began as early as January 2021, according to two of the people. The forged legal requests are believed to be sent via hacked email domains belonging to law enforcement agencies in multiple countries, according to the three people and an additional person investigating the matter.

The forged requests were made to appear legitimate. In some instances, the documents included the forged signatures of real or fictional law enforcement officers, according to two of the people. By compromising law enforcement email systems, the hackers may have found legitimate legal requests and used them as a template to create forgeries, according to one of the people.

“In every instance where these companies messed up, at the core of it there was a person trying to do the right thing,” said Allison Nixon, chief research officer at the cyber firm Unit 221B. “I can’t tell you how many times trust and safety teams have quietly saved lives because employees had the legal flexibility to rapidly respond to a tragic situation unfolding for a user.”

On Tuesday, Krebs on Security reported that hackers had forged an emergency data request to obtain information from the social media platform Discord. In a statement to Bloomberg, Discord confirmed that it had also fulfilled a forged legal request.

“We verify these requests by checking that they come from a genuine source, and did so in this instance,” Discord said in a statement. “While our verification process confirmed that the law enforcement account itself was legitimate, we later learned that it had been compromised by a malicious actor. We have since conducted an investigation into this illegal activity and notified law enforcement about the compromised email account.”

Apple and Meta both publish data on their compliance with emergency data requests. From July to December 2020, Apple received 1,162 emergency requests from 29 countries. According to its report, Apple provided data in response to 93% of those requests.

Meta said it received 21,700 emergency requests from January to June 2021 globally and provided some data in response to 77% of the requests.

“In emergencies, law enforcement may submit requests without legal process,” Meta states on its website. “Based on the circumstances, we may voluntarily disclose information to law enforcement where we have a good faith reason to believe that the matter involves imminent risk of serious physical injury or death.”

The systems for requesting data from companies is a patchwork of different email addresses and company portals. Fulfilling the legal requests can be complicated because there are tens of thousands of different law enforcement agencies, from small police departments to federal agencies, around the world. Different jurisdictions have varying laws concerning the request and release of user data.

“There’s no one system or centralized system for submitting these things,” said Jared Der-Yeghiayan, a director at cybersecurity firm Recorded Future Inc. and former cyber program lead at the Department of Homeland Security. “Every single agency handles them differently.”

Companies such as Meta and Snap operate their own portals for law enforcement to send legal requests, but still accept requests by email and monitor requests 24 hours a day, Der-Yeghiayan said.

Apple accepts legal requests for user data at an apple.com email address, “provided it is transmitted from the official email address of the requesting agency,” according to Apple’s legal guidelines.

Compromising the email domains of law enforcement around the world is in some cases relatively simple, as the login information for these accounts is available for sale on online criminal marketplaces.

“Dark web underground shops contain compromised email accounts of law enforcement agencies, which could be sold with the attached cookies and metadata for anywhere from $10 to $50,” said Gene Yoo, chief executive officer of the cybersecurity firm Resecurity, Inc.

Yoo said multiple law enforcement agencies were targeted last year as a result of previously unknown vulnerabilities in Microsoft Exchange email servers, “leading to further intrusions.”

A potential solution to the use of forged legal requests sent from hacked law enforcement email systems will be difficult to find, said Nixon, of Unit 221B.

“The situation is very complex,” she said. “Fixing it is not as simple as closing off the flow of data. There are many factors we have to consider beyond solely maximizing privacy.”

if law enforcement it security is so lax that there are already issues with hackers using existing processes to compromise accounts, i can't imagine what would happen if mandatory backdoors ever became a thing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

there's no way 25 gigs of useful data comes out of a car per hour. position, bearing, speed is a few MB at best, typically just a CSV of lat/long and other indicators. biometric data would be similar. even if they recorded every bit of audio and did SD video streaming of the interior of the car it wouldn't clock up to 25 gigs

really this should be one of those claims that triggers one's bullshit meter. the gently caress is a car doing with 25 gigs an hour, torrenting entire seasons of television shows?

maybe it's continuously transmitting super hi-res 3d lidar scans of every single man, woman, and child it passes to aid in the production of the synthoid replicants during phase 2?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i also wonder what the expense per student looks like, and how much of the expense is education related and how much is social service. if things like extra campus security, free or reduced price meals, transportation, etc. are funded through the listed per student funding, poorer districts are generally going to be spending a larger proportion of the per person funding on things other than teachers, counselors, extra-curriculars, etc

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Like just the 75% worst-scoring across the company? Like, "whoops we just fired an entire department" sort of thing?

i think spread across all of departments to some extent, but if i remember right he called out the health/safety and i.t. departments for the brunt of the layoffs

which i mean, lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's very tech ceo brain to pledge to fight the bots, then complain that you didn't know there were bots, then pledge to fire all the people who fight the bots

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tayter Swift posted:

What then is the hubub about laying off workers the day before new stock options vest? There's no more stock, right?

(I've worked in the public sector all my life and have absolutely no idea how stock options work)

apparently the merger agreement includes provisions that it would be paid in cash instead

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/29/technology/twitter-layoffs-musk-jobs.html

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
as much as 'mostly harmless' isn't my cup of tea, it's absolutely wild that douglas adams called the poo poo show around trying to securely authenticating your identity, and how it will inevitably lead to all your biometrics and passwords eventually being combined into an easy to use single point of failure like 30 years ago

was password management remotely a thing in 1992?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company

quote:

A Google engineer said he and his wife stared at each other in "disbelief" upon learning on Friday they'd both been laid off by the company.

Ashish Kalsi, an associate principal of global engagement on Google's trust and safety team, wrote in a LinkedIn post Wednesday that he and his wife woke up on Friday to find they were both part of the company's cull of around 12,000 jobs.

Kalsi wrote that his wife woke up at 6:30 a.m. to take a meeting at 7 a.m. but found that her work profile was missing and couldn't access internal resources on her laptop. Kalsi said he assumed she'd just missed a security update.

"I checked my phone and everything looked normal, except that it wasn't," he wrote on LinkedIn. "My wife walked into the room shell shocked — I just held out my phone to show her the email I received — she had got one too.

"Two out of the 12,000 Googlers were staring at each other in disbelief in that room while our two-year-old daughter slept peacefully not knowing (thankfully so) what just hit her family."

Kalsi said he'd worked at Google for more than 11 years, starting as an evaluator for search quality on the trust and safety team in 2011. He said he worked at Google on an H-1B visa.

"The dreaded H1b countdown has begun and I'm starting to look for roles," he wrote, referring to the 60-day period immigrants on H-1B visas have to find a new job if they're laid off before they're forced to leave the country.

Google didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

In an email to staff on January 20, Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google parent Alphabet, announced the company was cutting 6% of its global workforce. Pichai said he took "full responsibility for the decisions that led us here."

Many Googlers have reported feeling stunned by the harsh and impersonal execution of the layoffs, whereby staff were notified by email.

A couple with a four-month-old baby succumbed to the cuts, Insider's Grace Dean reported. The mother was on parental leave at the time.

i knew that the h-1b visa program is severely hosed and allows companies to be highly exploitative with their foreign workers, but i guess i still hadn't realized the scale of the problem. is it typical to for someone to have been in the country for over a decade and still be on an h-1b? i guess i naively assumed that there would be an easy transition to permanent residency after a number of years

i know how stressful layoffs can be when you have kids and a mortgage, i can't imagine the extra layer of stress that must come with having two months before you have to move your entire family to another country. loving inhuman

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's comforting to know that whatever happened to people in the past, and what happens to people now, we live in the best of all possible worlds

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PT6A posted:

An AV demolition derby would actually be fun as gently caress, and a good proving ground for generalized autonomy/AI. Good idea, old chum!

yeah, and for extra fun why don't we give the cars guns and missiles

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OddObserver posted:

Aha, thanks, I was missing the connection to interest rates. So if I understood your clarification it went something like this:
1) Bank invests in long-term stuff that has low interest rate return but is low risk. The expectation is that since it's low risk it would be easy to sell to someone at nominal price if they need cash to meet consumer demands.
2) Fed raises rates
3) Now it's hard to sell the debt since potential buyers can get better returns elsewhere (US bonds?)

... It feels like something the FDIC involvement could theoretically fix then, in that holding on to stuff for long-term is in principle OK for US government (but I don't know if that's something that's actually permitted absent an explicit congressional bailout).

Also I am right to say that doing #1 while interest rates were super-low was a dubious decision? Though I feel like normally you want banks doing low risk/low return stuff, so what am I missing here?

a lot of the problem is that svb had all of its depositors concentrated in very specific niche. it made it much more likely that many of their deposits would move in the same direction at once. historically startups have done poorly in a rising rate environment, and long term treasuries have done poorly in a rising rate environment. not my area of expertise, but it suggests that they either should have sought out more diversified depositors, or put a portion of their assets into something that hedges against a rising interest rates

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it varies by recipe source and recipe author. kenji lopez-alt will have some crazy long intros but by and large it's detailing why specific ingredient and method choices were made. i don't mind intros in that style

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a lot of modern cookbooks have huge glossy photos and tons of prose. these days a lot of them are semi-autobiographical

like this is the 2022 winner of the james beard cookbook award for pastries and sweets

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Mooncakes_and_Milk_Bread/R_sIEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

sure doesn't look like a list of ingredients and some instructions

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
unfeeling computers blaring insane and confusing sounds as part of an inscrutable test of humanity actually finally manages to be part of what dystopian literature promised us

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
didn't see this posted national eating disorder association takes ai chatbot offline after complaints of 'harmful' advice

quote:

An eating disorder prevention organization said it had to take its AI-powered chatbot offline after some complained the tool began offering “harmful” and “unrelated” advice to those coming to it for support.

The National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA), a nonprofit organization aimed at supporting people impacted by eating disorders, said on Tuesday that it took down its chatbot, dubbed “Tessa,” after some users reported negative experiences with it.

quote:

NEDA did not provide specific examples of the advice Tessa offered, but social media posts indicate the chatbot urged one user to count calories and try to lose weight after the user told the tool that they had an eating disorder.

weird, why roll out a feature that clearly wasn't ready for prime time?

quote:

NEDA’s move to take the chatbot offline also comes in the wake of the organization reportedly firing the human staffers who manned its separate eating disorder Helpline after staffers voted to unionize.

aaahh

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

withak posted:

Internet.

"can you believe the old timers knew from the start it made you stupid?"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jesus III posted:

If so, ew. Human soda pop spraying out of a can

if i had to choose, i'd rather become goo faster than my nervous system can react rather than reenacting no exit with my fellow trapped billionaires

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Seph posted:

I know the implosion happens quickly, but would it be more like a bullet to the head, or a few seconds of the hull crushing you before you die?

you might have some warning ahead of time that there's a problem, but when the actual failure happened you'd be dead on the order of milliseconds. the pressure at that depth is one of those things were it's extreme enough that it's hard for the human brain to properly quantify

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Professor Beetus posted:

I came across this twitter thread in the timeline and thought it might be of interest to folks in here talking about groversub. It's an armchair expert side-by-side breakdown of Cameron's Deep Sea Challenger and the Titan. Pretty fascinating and also darkly hilarious. The Oceangate CEO might have been the world's biggest Dunning-Kruger example in the world if he really bought into the idea that his sub was safe enough. And since he piloted it himself I think he really just assumed that nothing would ever go wrong because he was just that smart and good at making a submarine with literally zero redundancies or safeguards in place.

https://twitter.com/LadyDoctorSays/status/1671700989429297152?t=YLpecKZdUGzmGjhz11-LAA&s=19

wow, foam made of tiny glass spheres in epoxy resin to provide bouncy and structure under extreme pressure. that is real cool materials science

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't have the background to think through the implications of a commercial real estate collapse, but i have to wonder what losing what is the nucleolus of high paid white collar jobs at the core of many major cities will do to the shape of those cities. after the atomization of white collar work, do major cities still attract people through high density of desirable services and infrastructure, or does it lead to a hollowing out similar to what happened to cities built around blue collar work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a return to the moral clarity of bundled cable packages