Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

WrenP-Complete posted:

Quick straw poll: Does anyone here know someone who has used this kind of service?

Yeah, a friend of mine had good things to say about hellofresh. I don't personally see the appeal, and I barely know how to cook anything, but the general model seems to really appeal to some sorts of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

curufinor posted:

uh is that a point for unionization tho
lotta racist fucks in unions back in the day, that doesn't mean that they aren't good, it just means we should do, like, german-style unions or some poo poo

Tech workers absolutely should unionize, along with everyone else (the Tech Workers Coalition is doing some pretty great things if you're interested in that sort of thing) but, yeah, this is not really the case for it

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I'm part of this group called the Tech Workers Coalition, that basically fights for worker's rights and solidarity among all workers. Here's a really cool article about us and some other groups and currents in tech that don't get talked about much, about tech and labor, and about who the real voices of tech are. We like to think we do a little more than talk, and you should hit us up on Twitter or email or whatever if you have any thoughts.

actionjackson posted:

Apparently Uber is a verb in SF

Also what's the deal with Sam Altman? People seem to worship him but I don't see how he's different than any other startup bro

I wish I knew, he's just as lovely as the rest and he's toying with a run for governor under this tech policy wonk banner he has somehow and it's awful.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Something is Wrong on the Internet

Probably belongs better in a dark futurology thread or something, but I saw the beginnings of this poo poo back when I was working closely with YouTube at my startup and I'm kind of shocked at how prolific it's become. Really expected YT to alter things to make this stuff non-viable, such as they did with titty thumbnails and the like.

Mind, I think he ascribes to a malignant force content which is really just people either feeding the algorithms to generate ad revenue or (in the case of the really bizarre stuff) ten year olds / the mentally ill loving around with media creation suites which are insanely powerful.

I really wish that article had touched on what actually made it unsettling, instead of this weird "think of the children!" bit. There's a far more sinister story of mindless, parasitic capitalism there.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

the panacea posted:

In media unicorn News: Vox is laying off 5% of their workforce. There are rumors going around of an ever higher cut at Vice similar to Buzzfeeds triple digits last year.

:commissar::capitalism:

loving hell, at least they got a union first.

Turns out Google doesn't like people speaking up about diversity, but not the way Damore claims.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

I can't believe y'all chose to spend 3 pages continuing to argue about some fishmech bullshit when this was posted, I guess I'm biased because I helped organize it. Labor is rising, even in the godforsaken tech industry--and these people aren't just organizing for themselves, but really realigning and fighting for the whole working class that they have realized they're part of. None of these tech companies can exist without their workers. PM me literally any time about this, or follow the Tech Workers Coalition in whatever way works for you.

Also we got some good rear end shirts

https://twitter.com/techworkersco/status/967246099068076032?s=19

Edit: You also missed the new Uber CEO insulting MIT in the most Trumpian way imaginable.

https://twitter.com/dkhos/status/969805860594581509?s=19

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2018

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Facebook clarifies (?) its stance on child grooming.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TechWraith/status/974318779692867584

So these are some ads that popped up in the SF bay area recently. It's depressingly unsurprising to see that as you start to see more and more unrest among programmers, nationalists are targeting them more and more explicitly. I'm hopeful that labor sympathies are taking hold as well, and that a lot of people in that space are pushing a line of international solidarity, but it's concerning nonetheless.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

So did "progressive" get co-opted by the Nazis or what?

Progressive is an empty enough word to be useful to Nazis.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Apparently child abuse polled well on Facebook after all.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

suck my woke dick posted:

maciej ceglowski is the mostly cool and good idlewords anti-techlord but what film is that from? yellow and black is like star wars but it, uh, doesn't seem to fit?

For the record Maciej is actually incredibly toxic to work with, and routinely bullies, puts down and generally ignores anyone who doesn't want to follow his exact grand plan and dares to have their own ideas.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Trevor Hale posted:

I saw someone accuse him of that on Twitter the other day, but from what I could work out the entire argument centered around someone thinking “You only hear about Google’s failures and not all of the times we don’t fail” was a good argument.

Things went slightly deeper than that, and there's a background of him claiming progressive values and solidarity and all, while constantly making GBS threads on anyone who's actually trying to organize on the ground and do things he hasn't vetted to go along with his pet projects. I've cordially loathed the man for around a year now myself, and in that time he's gone to bat for Sam Altman suggesting we need to allow homophobia to do physics while being a prick and pulling out of any solidarity work with software engineers who literally got fired for unionizing, among lots of other poo poo. He's written some tolerable stuff and is apparently a decent fundraiser, but seriously, gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/941428630781026304

He's poo poo on Altman plenty for being the epitome of everything awful in Silicon Valley, and rightfully so, but he also has a very noticeable habit of "not understanding" strong reactions to discriminatory patterns in tech if it doesn't advantage him to do so. He's not public enemy number one, but he's a toxic personality and I really hope that someone who's listened to calls him on his poo poo someday.

Anyway, I don't want to completely derail, so here's a depressing read about how many Facebook employees still drink the kool-aid.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Facebook is having another bad day.

article posted:

"Given the scale and sophistication of the activity we've seen, we believe most people on Facebook could have had their public profile scraped in this way," said CTO Mike Schropfer in the post.

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 4, 2018

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Facebook already has the issue of being a model of digital imperialism when it uses small Latin American countries to A/B test experiments like how news sites should be promoted, and it's been cited by the UN as a contributor to the Rohingya genocide. Some sort of collectivization and control by workers and users is the ultimate answer, but I have a lot of trouble getting behind nationalization as an interim step.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Actual employees of tech companies aren't quite as much of a libertarian monolith as generally portrayed but loving lol at anyone who says that tech CEOs are in any way left leaning

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Google was a CPAC sponsor, I don't remember if Facebook was but they had a booth. Also, seriously, the workers and the executives can't be politically lumped together in any industry.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
This seems suboptimal.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Nuke Silicon Valley

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hey remember when I was telling y'all that there were some currents among tech workers stirring under the surface?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
So, fresh off the heels of Google workers organizing against shady military contracts, people have found a blog post from earlier this year from Microsoft talking about how proud they are to work with ICE.

The workers feel differently.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1009969836477186048?s=21

Google workers revolt over a pentagon contract, Microsoft employees make noise over aiding ICE, and now this.

Some tech employees are...good?

Turns out some of us techie scum have the occasional redeeming characteristic.

I've intermittently posted about this sort of stuff, but seriously: if you work in or around tech, regardless of the size of the company or your role or your FTE/contractor status, please feel free to send me a PM and just chat a bit about what you might want to change. Can't make any promises, but one day I'm hoping that the fight against fascist border control, the fight for good working conditions for Amazon warehouse workers and Facebook cafeteria workers, and the fight against
this poo poo can unite the workers of the industry in solidarity.

I'm an ambitious sort, what can I say.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Salesforce workers rising up now.

divabot posted:

BattBump - A Mobile App to Share and Receive Phone Battery

I was definitely a lot happier when I thought that read ButtBump.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Turns out Facebook's content moderation rules are more like gentle suggestions.

Makes sense, since Zuckerberg thinks holocaust deniers are actually just asking questions.

Striking Amazon workers are beaten and bloodied by police on Prime Day.

Edit: lmao turns out Elon asked the Sierra Club's executive director to talk about how great he was and share how much he donated and now rank and file staff are pissed.

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 19, 2018

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't want to interrupt this fascinating and productive discussion but Google has been revealed to have been working on a secretive, censored search engine for the Chinese market, and their workers are pissed.

Edit: ^^that was meant as a dig at the general circular discussion not you, I'm sorry for your dad's and your family's pain and am 100% in favor of guillotining all pharma execs

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 3, 2018

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
To be slightly generous, the actual workers aren't as universally awful as the CEOs. Of course, the ones who do try to fight back generally get completely sidelined, but hey.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Seems to me that having union newsrooms might make a big difference in the way workers' movements are covered but then I'm just a big old dummy

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Welp, I'm sold, guess I'll stop trying to organize my workplace and industry because we're not turn of the century coal miners and sometimes bad things happen to folks even when they are in unions

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And when was the last time you saw a union portrayed positively in the media?

Also you fucks need to see Sorry To Bother You, again if necessary

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Here's a thing some tech workers are doing if we want to talk about actual observable occurrences in the tech industry.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
So now apparently thousands of Google workers are planning to walk out tomorrow and Sundar is so scared he's claiming he supports them.

the tech nightmare is gonna be when he deploys the cyber-pinkertons they've been developing in some inconspicuous Alphabet office but hey

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
The future of gaming.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Something actually kinda cool that came out of that was this solidarity statement from a bunch of Microsoft/GitHub workers. It doesn't mean anything concrete yet but I thought it was pretty great.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Some company came out with a chatbot that's supposed to help make it easier for medical professionals to generate a differential diagnosis.

So initially, you get your standard chuckles out of it
https://twitter.com/spiantado/status/1620441729651609602

Then the curtain is pulled back even more
https://twitter.com/spiantado/status/1620511367446016000

But then you go crashing right back into the "nightmare" part
https://twitter.com/spiantado/status/1620514614877519872

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

SniHjen posted:

Garbage in, Garbage out.
Imagine asking this to a doctor, who isn't allowed to say "gently caress off" and MUST answer.
The problem with all these ChatGPT models, is people being assholes.

The first couple are mildly entertaining. The one where the response to a 17 year old being gay is that they're probably trans and bipolar is very much not, especially in times where (in the US at least) conversion therapy still exists and there are increasing state attacks on any form of gender nonconformity.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Just watch less politics on YouTube you rubes. I don’t get recommended anything political on YouTube. The algo knows I don’t care.

I use youtube solely for asmr videos and let's plays of games for nerds and I go through waves; sometimes the recommendations will be shockingly good for a week or two, then suddenly right into pushing right wing propaganda. I really hate this almost victim-blaming tendency to assume someone getting bad recommendations must have done something to anger the almighty algorithm, it's always been varying types of poo poo by design.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've had several Facebook accounts over the years and they've all eventually drifted to the conclusion that I'm Jewish, based on the ads I get (flattered, but nope.) Also about a 2 month period where I was constantly being bombarded with ads for engagement/wedding rings when I wasn't remotely in the market, and then 2 months after that all my ads were for those aggressively masculine branded products—dude wipes, man bathrobes, dude soap for your balls etc. I spend like 90% of my fun money on video games and metal concerts, my browsing history reflects this, it should not be this difficult to advertise to me.

I vaguely recall reading that just putting static, subject-based ads on relevant websites is more effective than all the algorithmic microtargeting, but of course there's an entire ecosystem built on convincing people otherwise.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

I think academia generally is still in the coping phase where they think they can negotiate with the infinite garbage generators or think they can harness them for good. Whole huge structures and systems are going to be paralyzed with infinite nonsense input for years before anybody in power even thinks to start acting on it. Following up crypto with something far worse than crypto, technology really is a wonderful thing lmao

It's not burning up entire nations' worth of resources so people can speedrun the history of financial crime so I feel hard pressed to say it's worse than crypto. Hell, I've seen a lot of people I know who got laid off use it to write first drafts of cover letters and I'll probably do so myself because they suck rear end and are pointless, which is more of a legitimate use case than any crypto bullshit has ever had.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Regretfully so yes. I got it from my alumni FB group, though admittedly I convinced myself it was a bit until I looked it up.

Edit: oh phew I was worried 24/7 global drone surveillance couldn't be a reality

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2023