Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I hope the current crop of online "do my chores so I can bask in bourgeois awesomeness" companies all get screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
A visitor to the bay area can look at the outdoor ads to see just how ideological this place has become. Mattresses are being target-advertised to techies. Mattresses! And Red Bull, their whole advertising angle here is that every bay area commuter is a startup founder and Red Bull will make them rich.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
One "buys" after the options vest. The thing that happens when someone joins the company is the company striking the price.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 8, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DOOP posted:

Why are (some) tech companies called unicorns? I don't get it
The ones that make a huge return for VCs are called unicorns because they're rare and strange and magical. VCs view themselves as unicorn hunters.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You'd think Marc Andreessen, of all people, would have the sense not to write a check to a scrappy little upstart bragging that it's going to "put a bullet through Google's head." You'd think he would know how that plays out.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Something I've noticed about crowdsource startups is that they don't seem to have any concept of a sales pitch. Even after they've started operations, if you go to their home page at least half the time it's a vague mission statement and an exhortation to sign up before you can read anything else.

Where do companies get this idea that they can drive sales in their service by throwing an obstacle in the way of learning anything about it? Is there some book that they're all reading, or do they just assume that it's a good idea because Facebook does it? Why don't their investors tell them that they need to sell?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm assuming of course that internet startup VCs do the kind of thing that VCs normally do: meeting with the directors & officers, suggesting managers, voting their shares, generally working to promote the success of the business. Maybe voting stock is just generally out of fashion and the founders are running their own asylums.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LeJackal posted:

Once I actually clicked an advertisement to go to a shirt website because I liked shirts. Then the scripts started, locking away their catalog and exhorting me to sign up as a member before I could browse. What kind of storefront demands you sign-up before letting you browse the product? I don't understand, and I never found out because I tried to circumvent the script lockout for all of five seconds before closing that website forever.
Makes it kind of hard to know whether I'd want to work for the company too, e.g. just now:

OTOH at least I have an answer if they ask me whether I saw something on their site that I'd like to improve.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 6, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You've heard of satan in the classroom, now get ready for hashtags on the walls.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I might take the whole "learn2code" campaign a little more seriously if it didn't seem to be backed by companies that will tell candidates to gently caress off if they have 10 years experience in Java 1.4-7 but not the ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL Java 8 experience.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Try telling that to a bank IT department.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shooting Blanks posted:

Link to a real world example of this happening? I have sold IT services for the better part of a decade and in my experience, companies typically don't give a poo poo if someone is certified on the absolute latest version of XYZ product if they have substantial experience (especially recent experience) in earlier versions. Unless you find someone who's an absolute phenom at Java 1.4 and hasn't touched a more recent example than that, to use your example.
Here you go.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Sorry I don't have a recording of a conversation with a recruiter to post, I do have other business to attend besides being able to document everything I say online.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
In response to the report on the Tesla labor situation at the end of July, some goon posted either here or another thread that he had worked at SpaceX for a while and told various stories about what was going on there. One of those stories was that Musk hired a designer to design a spacesuit that "looked cool", and then a succession of engineers to make that design function as a pressure suit.

I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but he's basically confirmed this late last month:

Elon Musk posted:

First picture of SpaceX spacesuit. More in days to follow. Worth noting that this actually works (not a mockup). Already tested to double vacuum pressure. Was incredibly hard to balance esthetics and function. Easy to do either separately.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cicero posted:

I don't see how software locking a battery is fundamentally different from software locking software. If you have a lite version of an app it'd cost the company nothing to let you have the full version instead, but they don't do that for free because they need/want more money.

Like I can see how on the surface it looks sillier, but under the hood it's just the usual price discrimination.
It's different in that one involves selling the customer equipment that will be wasted.

blowfish posted:

IIRC there were some straight up "buy license code to unlock more core" CPUs though.
There are examples of this back to the IBM tabulator days and sometimes it's the result of another company's patent that obligates the manufacturer to disable the tech until a royalty is paid. That would not be the case for a simple quantitative downgrade.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Condiv posted:

there's like three things named spark now

spark

spark

spark
It's a microprocessor and a marijuana dispensary!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
No it was in 1998 when Marc Andreesen and Tim O'Reilly decided they could get rich off unpaid programmer labor.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
As the baffler article explains, all those precedents have only accidental relevance to open sores becoming an ideology that businesspeople were willing to actively promote.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thing is, nobody was ever fooled by "downsizing" or "rightsizing". We knew exactly what it meant: layoffs, only without the protections afforded to unionized workers. What this dude is doing is firing, and calling it "liberating" may make him able to sleep smugly, but the person getting fired knows exactly what it means.
If Thrun allows doomed employees time to make calls and interview before dropping the ax on them, that puts him ahead of other employers I've worked for, where both sides end up playing bullshit CYA games.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 22, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Not too thrilled about that 11/3 item. What constitutes an "organization or group"? "Advocate" where, in what manner? "Violence" even in direct self-defense? It's big enough to drive a Panzer through.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 21, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"Leftism" isn't an excuse for passing on misinformation.

The press reflexively uses Silicon Valley as a symbol for all things tech even when it's not geographically accurate. So you often find Microsoft and Amazon in lists of SV companies, and the importance of offshore labor is ignored. There's a significant degree of ideological construction that goes on.

The bay does have several material advantages, most of which stem from the development of radar aviation tech there during and after WW2. There is also the 1960s radical ideology that has served to justify a lot of high risk investment. But none of it is essential to software development, as the rise of IT hubs in other countries amply shows.

Solkanar512 posted:

Don't forget Seattle.
How I wish I could.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 27, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Baby Babbeh posted:

The Bay Area is about 15 percent of the worldwide venture capital market just by itself.

For most regions, their tech sector is centered around either a specific industry or one big anchor company. Silicon Valley is home to 3 of top 5 largest tech companies in the world, and the rest maintain a sizeable presence.
"Percent of the capital market" is looking on the wrong side of the balance sheet. That's what capitalists are sinking into these companies, not what they get out.

When (public) companies are ranked by revenue rather than market hype, you have

1. Apple
2. Alphabet
7. Intel
8. HP
9. Cisco
11. Oracle
15. Facebook

Of these, two date from the 90s tech boom and one is from the unicorn era.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shugojin posted:

I give it a year tops until someone tries to sell a literal wheel as an innovative product
img-timeline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbn1vboJ50

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm doing my part: I replaced uBlock Origin in my browsers with AdNauseum, which in addition to blocking ads and javascript bitcoin miners, basically generates fake clicks on any ads it comes across. Hey, Google banned it from their Chrome extension store, and those Pale Moon wackos banned it from their otherwise MAH FREEDOMS drm-hating lovely knockoff browser, so it must be doing something right!

Now if only they'd fix it so it'd work on Firefox on Android again. It doesn't actually do much clicking on my desktop thanks to my hosts file and uMatrix blocking the ads from loading in the first place, but it works great while reading news articles on my phone and fake clicking on every single lovely outbrain link they always have.
Cool story, I just don't look at the ads.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

No I didn't edit the captions.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the best examples of businesses running perfectly well with good PR, and then they kill their golden goose in the belief of a better profit margin, and then they lose all goodwill and ironically end up out of pocket.
Depends on what you mean by golden goose: products or people? In 1996, AT&T laid off 13% of its employees company-wide while it was profitable to appease investors. Productivity took a hit and some of the employees had to be hired or contracted back.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Someday all headlines will be like this (there is no article btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
No company ever 401k-matched its way to the highest market cap.