Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How much is lean startup to blame for this current climate? VCs are showering incremental "Uber of X" and "Facebook of Y" products with millions and billions of dollars. Actual innovative products will never get past the MVP phase because the market just wants faster horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I read that and I still have no idea what HubSpot does or why it has so much funding. I do know that people who are fired actually just graduated from the company though.

quote:

Dharmesh’s culture code incorporates elements of HubSpeak. For example, it instructs that when someone quits or gets fired, the event will be referred to as “graduation.” In my first month at HubSpot I’ve witnessed several graduations, just in the marketing department. We’ll get an email from Cranium saying, “Team, just letting you know that Derek has graduated from HubSpot, and we’re excited to see how he uses his superpowers in his next big adventure!” Only then do you notice that Derek is gone, that his desk has been cleared out. Somehow Derek’s boss will have arranged his disappearance without anyone knowing about it. People just go up in smoke, like Spinal Tap drummers.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I feel like corporate euphimism is so transparent it just reduces morale even more but that's a topic for another thread

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

A first pass for a technical interview should always involve some form of reading existing code and bolting on an enhancement or fixing a bug. gently caress this fizzbuzz and white boarding from scratch poo poo I'm tired of developers who insist on rewriting everything because they can't decipher anything but their own code.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

blah_blah posted:

No, I mean that I am confident that there are very few false negatives among candidates who perform especially poorly in particular ways on technical interviews. As mentioned, I don't do SWE interviews, but when I ask a candidate a question about expected values, and they dither for 15 minutes without ever at any point writing anything that resembles an expected value, I'm not worried that I'm passing on some misunderstood statistical genius.

Believe me, I don't think that the technical interview process is anywhere near perfect, it definitely produces lots of false negatives (and somewhat fewer false positives by design), and fails to test a lot of non-technical skills that are necessary for success, especially at a more senior level. But saying that 'technical interviews are no better than chance at predicting a successful hire' is absolutely false.

The difference is that every data scientist will use expected value in their day to day work. The same is not true of software whiteboarding exercises.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

“It’s software. It’s consumer electronics. It’s produce and packaging.”

It's loving nespresso for juice

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

That juicer's natural environment isn't at home, it is in the company cafeteria where it lets you show your rockstar coders or sales staff how much you care about their health (and keep them from leaving campus twice a day to get their hangover recovery and brain superfood juice), without relying on them to clean the drat thing after they use it.

Had it been released a few years ago I could see it being a thing. Still dumb though.

The Internet connectivity is probably why it got 70 million in funding. The juicer itself is whatever but put together a nice set of slides about subscription revenue and how the internet connectivity will collect all of this data which can lead to targeted new products (or just be sold outright) and you will have VCs falling over themselves to write you checks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

:lol: what a load of poo poo. GSW's success has nothing to do with venture capitalists. How about the flipside with Vivek Ranadive and the Sacramento Kings?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Lol at the devs itt melting down about the term engineer. Developers aren't engineers. Code monkey or janitor comes to mind

While we're at it lets rename surgeons and doctors to body mechanics

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

You can't scale enforcement for millions of robots delivering someone's toothpaste

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

red19fire posted:

Uber is killing LA taxi companies.

Granted this is for pre-arranged taxicab pickups, which I believe has a fairly clunky app and phone service. I'm wondering if the taxicab industry will adapt to be more lightweight and flexible, or double down on trying to Uber out of existence. I think in NYC Uber still isn't allowed at the airports, I would be very interested to see similar statistics.

It's not surprising that Uber has made the most gains in the nightlife areas. Most people I know in LA complain about the lack of parking, overzealous police/parking enforcement, and lack of late-night cab service as the reason why Uber is so popular in LA.

NYC now has apps like Way2Ride and Arro in response

Arro is already significantly outperforming uber in Manhattan.

quote:

When it came to fares, Arro performed slightly better, undercutting Uber’s prices by 10%. This included a 20% tip for the taxi drivers; I trusted Uber’s claim that their drivers earn enough to making tipping unnecessary.

But where Arro really crushed Uber was on arrival times. On average, the taxis arrived within three minutes of my digital hail, compared with 7½ minutes for Uber.

Arro founder Mike Epley says my results are in line with his company’s observations: Systemwide, Arro’s average wait time hovers around three minutes.

Uber NYC General Manager Josh Mohrer, meanwhile, agrees it can be faster to get a cab than an Uber in Manhattan, especially on the main avenues.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

quote:

“You could probably track Odwalla juices,” says venture capitalist Joseph Floyd, referring to the drink ubiquitous in tech workplaces.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

e_angst posted:

So Uber and Lyft have threatened to leave the city of Austin unless we adopted a resolution basically saying they get to pick and choose their own regulations. They also spent over $8 million on robocalls and flyers and other ads promoting the resolution. (This is orders of magnitude more than has ever been spent on an Austin city election.)

Today was Election Day and the resolution has failed (and failed big). Before the election both companies promised to cease operations, an Uber specifically said they were stopping on Monday. Now that we've called their bluff we'll see if they follow through. Either way, it'll be interesting to see which company cedes the city of SXSW to its competition.

Lyft put out a statement saying they will "pause" operations on Monday

The regulation causing such a temper tantrum? Fingerprint background checks. One more step in the driver sign up funnel :qq:

nachos fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 8, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Is there any sense of how the nation views the gig economy and companies like uber? I imagine approval ratings would be pretty high and I'm surprised this was defeated with such a margin.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

asdf32 posted:

Lending Club and Prosper are both good ideas and legitimate business models. Much like Uber. They may have just screwed things up.

Lending Club is reliant on being able to charge higher interest rates on their loans than state capped rates through private deals with banks. The Madden vs Midland ruling dropped their share value by 43% and they are now forced to redo their operating model. If your business is dependent on bypassing one or two key regulations and is constantly under threat of being upended by a supreme court ruling then it doesn't feel like a very legitimate business model to me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I wonder what the overlap is between people who support voter id laws and people who are mad at required fingerprinting

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

negativeneil posted:

Yeah I'm not really understanding this. When I look at the interest rates on Lending Club I don't see anything confiscatory. Many of the loans I see are specifically for credit card debt consolidation and the interest rates are lower than what the borrowers were paying previously. Are you saying there are cheaper loans out there that are capped by the state that the borrowers are simply unaware of? How would that even work for Lending Club's sales pitch? Are they just targeting ignorant people?

From what I understand, a peer to peer loan on Lending Club used a Utah bank called WebBank which means they could charge Utah interest rates for a loan made in another state with state capped rates lower than those of Utah. I don't know if this still exists since the Supreme Court decision happened at the end of last year.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

How does mad money man still have a show after that daily show evisceration

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

The sites I mentioned sell overpriced men's clothing.

http://shoppingkim.com/online-stores-that-accept-affirm-to-buy-now-pay-later/

In other words, if your disposable income is low, you can always disrupt your consumption by borrowing to buy whatever dumb poo poo you don't need.

Isn't that what a credit card does?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I'm sorry but not wanting to deal with humans is not a goon thing, it's a loving american thing. There's a reason most of this country is a suburbian hellscape.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

quote:

After all that careful math, SpoonRocket's contribution margin was 50 cents to $1 per order, Tsui said. The founders prepared a new pitch for investors highlighting this milestone. "We showed them, and they were just like, 'Oh my goodness, you guys spent $13 million to squeeze a $1 margin out of every order?'" Tsui recalled. SpoonRocket shut down in March and sold some assets to a food delivery company in Brazil.

:thumbsup:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

wateroverfire posted:

Wow. It costs almost 20x as much to employ union welders in Alameda county as it does to hire Slovenians. :staredog:

I can't tell if this is trying to convey admiration at the cost savings or sympathy for the Slovenians

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

To be unnecessarily fair, that's "only" because he comes off as the sort of detached robot weirdo who would think "worker units are malfunctioning: destroy and replace immediately"

"If other people are putting in 40 hours in a week, and you're putting in 100, you will achieve in four months, what it takes them a year to achieve."
- Elon Musk, noted tech nerd billionaire who can work infinitely long with no loss in productivity

It amazes me that he can trot out this bullshit repeatedly without getting called on it when there is a very well-known and prominent body of research showing the contrary

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Gotta pad your hours for the media puff pieces

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Quick, schedule another mad money appearance!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I really, really shouldn't trust other people's throwaway figures. Californian anesthesiologists make an average of $104.26/hour. See? The working classes aren't being coddled after all.

The $55/hr figure that wateronfire pulled up might be based off an 80 hour workweek, which is rather disingenuous

quote:

Defining work hours for an anesthesiologist can be complicated. Those in private practice may work 80 hours a week, according to the Student Doctor Network. Many anesthesiologists work 12-hour shifts and may be on call for periods lasting 24 hours, according to a March 2012 article on TheDO website. Others may work part-time. The average salary for anesthesiologists in 2012 was $232,830 a year, according to the BLS, for an average hourly wage of $111.94. This is based on a 40-hour work week. If an anesthesiologist worked 80 hours a week, her hourly wage would be $55.97. However, TheDO website notes that an experienced hospital-based anesthesiologist might earn $350,000 a year. In that case, the hourly wage of an anesthesiologist who worked 80 hours a week would be $84.13.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Looks like the stale medical industry needs a crash course in lean startup. Theranos got some great market feedback on their MVP and is now ready to iterate.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Japanese salaryman work culture is fascinating. It is hell on earth but they've managed to achieve the american executive wet dream of 80 hour a week slaves that are fiercely loyal to the company.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

That and going drinking/karaoking with your boss after work.

It's also apparently completely normal to talk poo poo to your boss about how terrible he is during karaoke/bar time and then go back to work the next day as if nothing happened

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's actually a pretty positive thing, from what I gather. One of the issues in America is that a poo poo load of companies have decided to jump on the "you must always be positive" bandwagon, which means no complaining or airing grievances ever, at all.

Oh I agree, 80 hour death weeks aside the way they are able to compartmentalize work, after work, and home is nice compared to the american WORK IS LIFE DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND YOU'LL NEVER WORK A DAY IN YOUR LIFE mentality

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What do you the Satirical version of Uber will be called in the next GTA game?

Puber had daniel tosh not taken it

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I sincerely believe that some posters in this thread would defend to the death even the most stupid, pointless, and wasteful government regulation if it gave them an opportunity to rag on a startup company.

This thread has moved beyond "make fun of stupid and bad ideas and other dumb stuff in startup companies" and "chastise startup companies for producing/having sociologically dangerous ideas/effects". It is currently the "make lazy kneejerk criticisms of startup companies" thread.

can you name some specific examples?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

what's with all the loving mattress startups lately?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Uh why is she doing this again?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Joshmo posted:

Joel Spolsky's Fog Creek is annoyingly cutesy about the way they're all one big happy family that codes and eats together. Then again, maybe I'm just jealous I'm not living or working in a Manhattan highrise.

gently caress that, I work in a Manhattan high rise and I have no desire to eat with my coworkers every day

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I'm an old grandpa but I don't understand why you would hit the like button unless you want that info to be made public.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

wateroverfire posted:

On the other hand, county agencies aren't exactly rolling in cash and if something like this frees up transport dollars that can be more impactfully used elsewhere (maybe adding buses on busy routes, or even subsidizing paratransit) then I TT for the bus drivers but meh?

Like, go through this exercise.

If the savings generated by the program, on one route, amount to $10 per rider x 5 riders per hour x 10 hours per day x 200 days (just to make this easy math), that is $100,000 that could be used for other purposes, like subsidizing paratransit. At $16 each that is 6,250 rides for disabled people just along that route. If total ridership is 10,000 rides a year, that probably means every disabled person who was riding that route could be given free paratransit with some money left over to subsidize other things. Transit authorities could negotiate with Uber and make provisions for the disabled within the partnership agreement and likely save even more.

This is a make believe government. Even in advanced countries like the USA local authorities will happily poison their citizens to save a buck. I'm sure that disabled person's transit budget will remain untouched.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Why the gently caress is being a graphic designer being pushed as a requirement for applying to a job now. Nobody has time for this poo poo. Unless you're one of the ones who can afford to pay for CV templates while unemployed I guess.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Does the hubspot CEO still love holocracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Baby Babbeh posted:

I don't know if Hubspot ever actually implemented Holocracy. You're probably thinking of Zappos, where it's been... um, something of a mixed bag...

http://labs.openviewpartners.com/impact-of-holacracy-at-zappos/#.WAfvwY8rJD8

For what it's worth, people I know who work at Zappos absolutely love it, but it seems like the kind of place where you'd have to otherwise the cult would excommunicate you.

Yeah your right, I mixed up my tech cults