Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I looked back 8 pages and didn't see an F1 2020 thread. I know it's not really a sim in the true sense of the word so sorry!

I played it a bunch when it came out and was disappointed that my new xbox 1 controller didn't do anything fun with the trigger vibration/variable resistance if that exists. I chalked it up to just not being coded into the game or maybe because I'm on PC it wasn't working. I booted it up yesterday and crashed immediately because my triggers are dynamically vibrating now and maybe adjusting force resistance but I can't really tell.

Was this just added? And yes I know gamepads are horrible for driving games but I don't have anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Well, I can hang up my HANS device now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steen71 posted:

Errr, is that some kinda leaderboard?

Not really it's a screenshot from WRC9. It's just 420:69.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Would it be reasonable to consider getting into PC Sim racing/driving if I only wanted to spend like 500-600 CAD (~450USD) on this? I have a very strong PC already (no VR though), was wondering about wheel/pedal recommendations. Is this too low a budget?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If you already have a PC that's enough budget to dip your toes in for sure, and I wouldn't go whole-hog on a Fanatec rig until you know you really enjoy the hobby anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-motor-Feedback-Responsive-PlayStation/dp/B00Z0UWWYC

That thing is pretty popular for the money. You can buy the H-shifter upgrade too if you want one.

VR definitely is a game-changer.

njsykora posted:

Absolutely, a G29/G920 is always available for relatively cheap and the cheaper wheels like the Logitech and Thrustmaster stuff are used by the vast majority of people I'd say. I use a G29 and I'd say buy that and a nice standalone H-pattern shifter because H-pattern shifting is a lot of fun once you've got it down.

Thanks, cheaper than I thought it would be. Picked up the G29 on sale (on Canadian Amazon also). I do some unimpressive track driving already IRL with a standard transmission and don't feel like I really need that for sim stuff. Looking forward to this! Thanks goons.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alright so I got my wheel and pedals and have been playing around - so far just tried Dirt 2.0 and it.... is hard as hell but quite fun.

A rolling office chair isn't going to really work for this is it? I keep pushing myself backwards trying to brake.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah try putting like a stack of books behind your office chair or something if you can. But ideal would be something more fixed.

You're going to find that you're much slower with a wheel than a controller at first. Stick with it and you'll adjust and get faster than you were on controller.

Also, as frustrating as it is, you need to spend a good amount of time dialing in your wheel feedback settings. The differences are subtle but a dialed-in wheel versus a stock default settings wheel makes all the difference between being able to drift and recover a corner or just constantly over-correcting and crashing. A wheel with weird FFB settings makes it really hard to drive well.

The good news is you can google "<game name> + <your wheel model>" and you'll find lots of people posting their configurations, so you can just copy one to start with and tweak from there.

Yeah I'm in F1 2020 now and you can very easily just bring people's steam workshop poo poo into the game without even restarting it.

Soooo is there a discord or something where you guys all hang out? Guess I'll check the OP but I don't remember seeing it. Would be fun to get some goon races going. I was avoiding all the tarmac driving games previously because with an xbox controller it just felt uselessly difficult but I might have to pick some stuff up now.

I'm finding F1 to be much much easier/more fun than Dirt 2.0 with the wheel and pedals.

e:

Fellblade posted:

Locking casters are cheap enough to get hold of, I use them and they work pretty well, though depends what surface you are on.

I feel like even the rotation of the chair is kinda loving with me but I'm not sure if my butt is just confused why it doesn't feel any car movement. What wheels are you using? I have a Steelcase Leap so I'm guessing there is going to be a lot of aftermarket support for it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god I just had the first moment where I brought a car through a series of fast sweeping tight corners, exactly the kind of thing a controller is horrible at, and I'm in love.

njsykora posted:

The Bearpope discord is here. Though pretty much all the group racing happens on iRacing.

Thanks.

e: vvv yeah I'm on hardwood. I'll look at my options.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is what you need OP. Locks the pedal base to your chair wheels.

If you’re handy at all you could certainly make something like this for yourself and save some $

https://www.peingear.com/product-page/pein-s-pedal-mount

Cool. I can probably make something for less but it's good to know that exists, makes sense.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's the bottom of the donkey Kong rail cart.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Taborcarn posted:

Alright I’m convinced. I’ll go suck online with all the other sucky suckers.

Hey, I'm also brand new to g29 life and would love to try online stuff with a buddy if you're looking for people to play with. There was also a discord link pasted within the last page or so if you want to join the sim goons.

I wonder if it's possible with f1 to do 'track day' kinda things where we both just sit on a track doing time trial stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

house of the dad posted:

If any of you new guys don’t have an iracing account, I have a code from the rig I bought for a free year. Has to be a new account.

If Taborcarn doesn't end up using it I'd like it. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

If someone yells at you in iRacing you can report them and they'll seriously get in trouble for it. They'll ban accounts for harassment. Its against the terms & conditions.

Do you get to find out when it happens because that's such a great feature that isn't included in enough products.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to throw my own certificate into the thread because my printer is low on black ink so I can't print it out and put it on my fridge.

I was legitimately so nervous I was sweating during the race. Feels good!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GhostDog posted:

I didn't enjoy the driving in iRacing, I never felt any confidence at any speed of being in control of the cars. So while I loved the racing aspect, I could never motivate myself to practice for an upcoming race because practice is just driving. At some point I cut my losses and let my subscription lapse.

The handling in iRacing feels a lot more realistic than anything else I've tried.

Cabbages and Kings, just get the 3 month thing for iRacing for $5 and try it out - there's a lot of tracks and cars to try and it's a blast. I started about a week ago and I've been loving it. Goon community is fantastic also.

On a related note, the Mx5 cup is now on Laguna Seca and the feeling of the steering getting light as you crest just after the start/finish line is something that blew me away the first time I felt it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You guys should specify ACC or AC for him/her.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Even if you own competizione?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm a recent wheel/pedals guy that put hours and hours into racing games beforehand with a gamepad. I have to say it's worth it if you can find something, I'd look for used pedals and wheels as lots of people upgrade from the logitech stuff and probably toss their old stuff on ebay.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alright who has some LC pedals they want to sell?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any great resources for improvement? Looking for really good reads etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bYp2vvUgEqE

It's a little technical but still a good watch

Thank you both! Awesome.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The cheapest vehicle I ever bought was a 95 ford explorer automatic for $300 Canadian. Drove it for a year and sold it for $1k.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Still on the hunt for a Fanatec wheel base, and steering wheel. Right now I am looking at these two options:

Base: https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-v1.1
Wheel: https://fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-mclaren-gt3-v2

Thoughts? I have the Fanatec peddles, is there anything else I would need?

That looks good and yes they're compatible. I have the wheelbase, it's great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have it and it's a good base. I can't imagine wanting more power in my ffb.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I decided differently on what I wanted. Beep boop ordered.

Nice! I plan on picking up that wheel sometime later this year.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

njsykora posted:

The HP Reverb G2 is the highest res headset on the market, the other major option is the Oculus Quest 2, which requires a soul tax to be paid to King Zuckerberg (and a seperate purchase of a decent USB-C cable to connect it to the PC but that's only $20 or so) but is half the price of the Reverb for not much of a resolution drop. Then if FOV is the important factor there's still the Valve Index which is lower res but way higher FOV and price.

I would expect that framerate is as important as resolution. Do all of these do 120hz?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does anyone have any worn out grips (like from a fanatec formula wheel) that they replaced with new ones? I do leatherworking and I'm wanting to experiment with doing a veg tan leather conversion with some just to see how it turns out and whether it would be feasible to start producing them in my spare time. I'm in Canada but I can't imagine they'd be expensive to ship.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Agreed. I tried temporarily clamping my new Simucube 2 on something just for testing purposes and it did not work remotely well. It needs to be bolted to something stable, as will any DD.

And you'll also want to make sure you have somewhere to mount the foot/knee kill switch in case your arm somehow ends up broken in the wheel and you need to stop everything. I can't imagine that being possible with a desk mount.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bentai posted:

As long as you're keeping your foot in roughly the same position on brakes, you should rarely run into any variation to the pressure registered.

Yeah I haven't noticed anything on my CSL LCs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

gently caress, this is harder than I expected it to be.

What are you doing stepposter

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

"Assetto Corsa has the best selection of custom tracks and cars out there but the physics engine is ancient and shakes like my old dog. I know, I'll make my own open source racing sim with modern physics and support AC files so it comes out of the box with tons of content! :downs:"

Right now, it's basically just an AC track viewer. But I have dreams! Delerious, unattainable dreams.

I'm surprised the first thing to start with isn't a physics model which looks nothing like a racing game until years later?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I just like being in the environments in MK 8, it's just a nice place to be Wild Woods that goes through the huge trees, I want to live there basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D1-0d3gt1A

I was just thinking as I was practicing in iRacing that I wish someone would make a racing game with real life physics +/- real life cars but have it set in a high-fidelity fantasy setting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^you're about to be leaped upon for suggesting going to a DD wheelbase with Logitech pedals because that's the opposite order.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh. Not worth it. I’ll take it apart again to take the sensor off and make sure nothings jammed in it but That’s probably as far as I’ll go

Do you mind taking a couple well-lit photos of the circuit board if it's easy? I wonder if a capacitor is failing or has failed and as it warms up it performs worse.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a Dirt Rally 2.0 copy to gift (steam copy). Anyone want it? Reply here and PM me your email and I'll send the link along.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I'll take it, if you still have it, pm sent

When I'm out of bed I'll send it along.

e: Sent!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 5, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Thread title is super appropriate, though it was a Z/28 for me.

There is still some cable-management to do, but I am not abjectly ashamed of the room anymore, so PICTURES!

First is how I use it during general use. I do slide the seat forward when I'm using primarily mouse and keyboard, but its nigh-impossible to get into in that configuration, so I generally leave the seat back.

Second is using it for flight sims:

And a detail of the stick position and bonus cat:

And finally, driving mode:

Issues I still have to rectify involve new rudder pedals and new driving pedals. The original intent for the Fanatec pedals was to inverse-mount them, but the loving brake pedal doesn't work properly when they're upside down, so I had to move them there. They slightly impinge on the brake axis of the rudder pedals when at full deflection, but it's not a major issue for the time being. The Saitek Combat pedals were cheap when they were new, and now feel like they're full of gravel, so it's almost time for an upgrade there as well.

Looks awesome! Is that seat from a skyline? It's bringing back memories.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Essobie posted:

The ones in that video are the exact ones I have. Throttle and clutch are identical. Sounds like you all spent too much money on your pedals and now you have to buy more pedals and figure where to put them if you want to fly.

Try hitting the clutch with your right foot I'm pretty sure it's heavier than the gas. Could be wrong.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly it would be so exhausting because you can't replicate the actual experience without the rider actually shifting their weight that often and that much. I guess at least no G's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cage posted:

Tell that to "My Name (8)" soon to be "My Name (9)". I only sign up when its $5 for 3 months or something.

I get why you'd do this if you didn't care about any of the paid content but I have to mention that this has similar vibes to the people that think they're getting away with something by retiring at 30 by eating oatmeal 3 times a day for the rest of their lives.

e: ugh loving page snipe ahhh well anyone ever get trigger finger? I mentioned this in the bearpope discord but 1-2 months ago I developed trigger finger on one pinky after sim racing for like 6 hours in a day and I still have it basically just as bad as I did when it was new. It's awful and frustrating. Do your stretches!