Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Reverb G2 only does 90hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pedalchat: I have the CSL elites with the load cell brake, and I’m extremely indifferent to them. They’re an upgrade to basically any of the entry level pedal sets, but the design of the LC pedal means that registered pedal pressure varies depending on precisely where you press on the pedal. Which is REAL DUMB AND BAD for obvious reasons.

Skip the CSLs and get the V3s.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bentai posted:

As long as you're keeping your foot in roughly the same position on brakes, you should rarely run into any variation to the pressure registered.

Ya, this is how I discovered that I move my feet a lot when I drive.

That said this is a really dumb limitation, even for the price point. It would be trivial to mount the load cell in a manner where this isn’t a concern. It also essentially precludes you from invert mounting them, which was my original intent.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

As long as you play without items it's fantastic.

As someone who preferred Goldeneye multiplayer on -10 health with grenade launchers and proxy mines only, I can appreciate this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thread title is super appropriate, though it was a Z/28 for me.

There is still some cable-management to do, but I am not abjectly ashamed of the room anymore, so PICTURES!

First is how I use it during general use. I do slide the seat forward when I'm using primarily mouse and keyboard, but its nigh-impossible to get into in that configuration, so I generally leave the seat back.

Second is using it for flight sims:

And a detail of the stick position and bonus cat:

And finally, driving mode:

Issues I still have to rectify involve new rudder pedals and new driving pedals. The original intent for the Fanatec pedals was to inverse-mount them, but the loving brake pedal doesn't work properly when they're upside down, so I had to move them there. They slightly impinge on the brake axis of the rudder pedals when at full deflection, but it's not a major issue for the time being. The Saitek Combat pedals were cheap when they were new, and now feel like they're full of gravel, so it's almost time for an upgrade there as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

Looks awesome! Is that seat from a skyline? It's bringing back memories.

It’s actually a brand-new Bride budget-racing seat. Ended up being less than $150 each when I bought two on eBay. (I built a mostly identical rig for a buddy and we split costs.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The mechanics of riding a motorcycle just don’t translate to sims well

As a lifelong motorcyclist and a sim racing fan, trust me this frustrates me to no end.

Motorcycles are so much about body positioning, and countersteering which is hard to replicate at all, let alone with an Xbox controller or something like that, and no sim hardware exists (as far as I know) to do it

For example, you’d need to have a set of sim handlebars that, at low speed could turn lock to lock to steer the bike, as you would a bicycle, but once you get going, it needs to stiffen up, like to the point of loadcell pedal stiffness and then accept opposite inputs for steering (i.e. push slightly on the right bar to turn right at speed). And the inputs need to be wildly different as far as range of motion. At high speed you’re just putting pressure on the bars to turn, at low speed you’re literally manhandling the bars and forcing them to turn

This is to say nothing of body positioning and how it affects the bike.

Cars are just so much easier because a car seat is easily approximated by literally any other seat, your body positioning doesn’t matter at all, and the wheel works the same way at high speed as it does at low speed.

This is a more extreme version of the issues that flight sim controls have. In a light aircraft at rest, the controls have next to no resistance to them, and the only force really acting on them is gravity on the control surface itself, and friction of the control cables/rods. As the aircraft accelerates, the relative wind load on the controls tightens them up, and more and more force is required to move them from their resting (trailing) position. For most flying, you’re flying by pressure on the controls, since control forces vary by speed, rather than position of the controls, very similar to a load cell brake pedal. In sim gear, with vanishingly few exceptions, all input is by position only, with a simple (mostly) linear centering spring. You can certainly fly a sim like this, and return-spring flight sim gear is a big business...

...But I lust after a true direct-drive-equivalent flight control set, with pitch, roll, and yaw all simulated properly. Logitech made a very halting, terrible try at this with the G940, and a company called Iris Dynamics had a demo at E3 and a Kickstarter a few years back that was super promising, but went nowhere. Recently, a Swiss company called Brunner Innovations began making a direct drive control stick (that uses TM warthog grips, which is a pretty slick move,) a direct drive yoke (if that’s your bag,) and direct drive rudder pedals.

The stick base alone is over $1500USD, so I haven’t made any serious plans, but I really want them to do well.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 24, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shortspecialbus posted:

Depends somewhat on the specific system. Boeing I believe simulates more "feel" than Airbus does, for example, but all have to have some level of "resistance."

There's a thing here that cites some sources with more info: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/800/do-fly-by-wire-flight-controls-in-airliners-provide-artificial-feel

Bingo. Even aircraft like the DC-10 and L1011 which have manual control but huge hydraulic assist have artificial “feel” systems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dehumanize yourself and face to wheelstand.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You could play with a fan pointed at you. Lots of people do. Doesn’t help the vision issue though

Plus one on this, with an addition that I’ve been considering cutting a hole in the plastic case on my G2 and installing a gently caress-off-huge aluminum heat sink on the back of the display.

If I already look like a complete goober wearing it, I may as well be a not-sweating-as-much complete goober.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Skippys were on the Nordschleife industriefahrten a few seasons ago. That went about as well as you’d expect.

:suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Mine went pretty easy as long as you follow the directions in the video.

e: also I got a pile of boxes of fun today :retrogames:

One of us. One of us. One of us.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

The difficulty that can be involved with mounting a real car seat that isn't a race car seat is a huge obstacle for people who don't have fabrication resources unfortunately.

My prior sim rig used the passenger seat from a B14 Sentra. The seat itself was excellent: Comfortable, well-wearing, ergonomic and smooth adjustments, etc. But the damned thing is custom designed to bolt into a unibody bucket that isn’t level in any axis. All four attach bolts are at different angles in at least one plane, and one was also at a different height from the other three. It was a supreme pain in the rear end. The “racing” seat I used in my new build is designed to bolt to a flat(ish) floor, which makes it a ton easier to mount to a sim chassis.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think the CSL elite is out of production now. The CSL DD is replacing it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Essobie posted:

Heh... the main reason I haven't upgraded to a DD wheel is that I'm fearful that it'll either be 1) not enough difference for me to justify the expense and trouble of mounting a different wheel base or 2) that the difference is so drastic that I'll kick myself for not doing it sooner. I don't think there's any winning this one.

There’s a local sim racing gear shop (somefucking how I don’t understand) that has rigs to try, and I have very specifically not gone done there because I know it ends up with me leaving with new pedals and a DD2.

:homebrew:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Feel like I’m bumping into the issue on the CSL’s where you can get different braking forces based on where your foot is on the pedal due to how the load cell is mounted in the pedal. From that standpoint I’d imagine the V3’s are a solid upgrade because they just don’t have that issue.

It’s such a dumb design flaw that almost seems intentional to force you up a price tier.

:(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tater_salad posted:

(I consistently think I'm getting a scam mail from fed-ex any time I order from Fanatec)

:lol:

Same here. I was having some minor identity theft issues at the same time I got my rig from Fanatec and it took me a couple serious minutes to sort out what the hell it was.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A small desk fan pointed at the headset/your face does wonders for seated VR, as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

$300 is probably in the low range for a used Fanatec from someone upgrading to a DD wheel if you’re feeling froggy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boar It posted:

Not surprising at all that people 'smurf' in iRacing as well. Anything to not compete against people of your own skill level I guess.

Thing is, I’m not stuck in the split with them. They’re stuck in the split with me.

:unsmigghh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"The Measure of a Man and Woman" by Henry Dreyfuss has what you seek. ~Page 65.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is a strange question. Anyone with Fanatec CSL load cell pedals have an extra of the spring stack pivot plate? It’s basically a round retainer for the spring stack, with a pair of nubbins that fit into the pedal base.

That part.

Or even a file to 3D print one? Fanatec support basically told me to get bent, and my pedals are kaput without a new one.

:(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VelociBacon posted:

I really don't think a 3d printed part can withstand the force you'd put through it. That sucks so much though, I can't believe they won't let you buy that?

I dunno where you live (consumer protection laws) but if you were just using it normally and it broke, and they're refusing to even allow you to buy a replacement part, I would order another LC kit, use the piece from that, and then return it with the broken piece a week or two later within the return window saying (accurately) that the piece broke during normal use and is faulty. If you had it mounted backwards or something and it broke I guess I don't know if that's ethical anymore.

I actually shot the godamned thing across my office while reassembling the pedals (I changed the mounting to my rig) and it loving disappeared. I’ve torn the room apart twice looking for it to no avail.

I was actually gonna have it “3D printed” in aluminum in a CNC machine if anyone has the file, but I realize it’s a long shot. Just don’t wanna have to spend the money to upgrade to the V3 pedals because I’m a butterfingered dumbass. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I don't have a phone with a scanner but I have CSL elite pedals with that doohickey and a set of calipers and fusion 360, I can see what I can do tomorrow evening

Honestly even if you don’t feel like marking it up in fusion, just a paint sketch with dimensions would work. It’s a pretty simple part.

:cheers:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5440627

I was pretty surprised to see the units were pretty obviously inch, with fanatec using mostly metric, but that should get you a functional piece. It's a 2-piece unit, so you can invert which way you put it, i guess to slightly adjust pedal position

:captainpop:

You are a gentleman and a scholar, my friend. That’s fuckin fantastic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Coca Koala posted:

I lucked into half a setup (our mechanic was upgrading his rig and gave us a csl elite wheelbase and elite pedals with load cells), so bought a steering wheel and shifter and fell down the rabbit hole of iracing this weekend.

I’ve probably caused over a hundred thousand dollars worth of damage to various miatas and put some serious weight into the walls at laguna seca but I’m beginning to get to the point where I can say “ah yes, I’m about to go into the wall and it’s because i took too much curb / hosed up my shifting / tried to turn too hard while braking / was thinking about the previous corner and missed the braking point for the next corner”, which feels like an important step on the road to not doing any of those things.

The best lap I’ve been able to put down was like a 1:43 and change at laguna seca? Which I think is still pretty far off the pace for the mx5 cup car but felt good while I was doing it.

Laguna Seca is one of my favorite tracks. It just rules.

It’s also a loving monster to lay down clean laps on, especially as an amateur.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This dang hobby keeps getting me to buy so much poo poo.

Now to figure out the finances around buying a direct drive wheel :devil:

:homebrew: should really be :simracing:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5440627

I was pretty surprised to see the units were pretty obviously inch, with fanatec using mostly metric, but that should get you a functional piece. It's a 2-piece unit, so you can invert which way you put it, i guess to slightly adjust pedal position

Behold.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Jn8odL6vxB4?feature=share

He wasn’t able to get time on the milling machine to make it out of aluminum, but he printed me a pair of them that feel just as significant as the original.

Thanks again, fellow goon. :glomp:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fanatics website is, has always been, and probably will always be, poo poo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

njsykora posted:

Fanatec's website is poo poo as well.

iOS’ autocorrect is getting more and more aggressive.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speaking of pedals, I got drunk, violated my own rule on Fanatec products, and got the inverted V3s while they were on sale.

:homebrew:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FPV headsets have little bitty fans in them to constantly extract the moist air between your face and the screens. VR headsets should really take a note on that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Laguna Sorta

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bUm posted:

Been awhile since I've wandered in here.

Apparently the GeneRally 2 game mentioned awhile back released on Steam Early Access a week ago.

Also, Rennsport closed beta sign-ups are open with invites supposedly starting tomorrow.

Aaaand closed again. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tater_salad posted:

What's the go to decent VR setup these days.. reverb 2 used still a better than quest 2 recommendation?

For seated stuff, and for the moment, the G2 still reigns supreme, but I think it’s about to get unseated by the new-gen stuff. If you can wait for my Beyond to get here, I’ll flip my G2 your way for not many dollars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I am really bad at parallel parking and I want to use a sim to get better. I wish I were kidding. I picked a G920 for Dirt Rally, but learning to park my drat car irl would be very helpful. Someone on Reddit said Assetto Corsa with a bunch of mods would be good for this. Would appreciate recommendations for either AC mods or other appropriate sims.

“FORKLIFT SIM,” the darkness whispers.

Seriously though, a car in reverse is just a forklift with a shittier turning radius. The same concepts still apply.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I scratch-built two 80/20 rigs during COVID lockdowns for myself and a friend, and IIRC we were into them for ~$1300USD each, including the seats and all the miscellaneous hardware. Basically everything BUT the peripherals themselves. It was the only option for us though, since we both wanted triple-purpose sim racing/flight sim/general gaming rigs.

If I were scratch building again, and for single-use, I’m pretty confident I could get that down to ~$700 and have essentially infinite customizability for the future. 80/20 rules for this kind of thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Iracing got rain and it's exceeded my expectations and I had very high hopes for it. I've not done much rain driving in other games but this poo poo is amazing and I can't wait for an Enduro with changing weather.

How are public lobbies in the wet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fanatec’s hardware and software is really, really good.

Their customer service is basically “lol nope,” and their webstore is unnecessarily opaque and feels like it’s trying to scam you.