Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone here play MX Simulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Cross posting from the extreme sports game thread, but I think these motocross simulators may have a lot of crossover appeal with this thread:

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I've been playing a lot of MX Bikes recently, and its pretty fun. Like the older MX Sim, its applying a 'simulator' style of racing games to motocross and supercross racing but is a much newer game and is available on steam.

This video is a little cheesy but shows the vibe pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVC3EuBIIdM

Riding supercross that smooth is hard as hell, I can usually make it around that track but not riding any big rhythms.

The main difference between MX Bikes or MX Sim and most motocross games is that your control inputs don't control how fast you turn, but how quickly you change your lean angle - almost like you're flying a plane. It sounds weird, but imo feels way closer to the actual experience of riding than most mx or other motorcycle racing games do. You have to be much more concious of set-up, turn in They both also focus heavily on first person view rather than 3rd and it really changes how the game plays. If you like either MX games, riding mountain bikes or dirt bikes in real life, or racing sims in general and thing mx is cool, I'd recommened checking MX Bikes out. Online is super easy and you can find people just chill lapping a track if you want a non-solo vibe but aren't looking to race.

MX Bikes and MX Sim are pretty similar, but I would recommend MX Bikes over Sim - its way newer and much more user friendly and seems like a much more capable engine with potential to grow. Sim however has the more active community with full sim-replica racing of the USA SX and MX plus MXGP seasons, and way more bikes and tracks available. The downside is that the stock tracks in Sim suck, and finding a good beginner track can be hard. MX Bikes is starting to catch up with community tracks and is way more playable mod-free.

If you give it a shot I'd highly recommend watching a controller setup video on YT and maybe a beginners guide video if you're struggling, it takes a while to figure out the control input concept and get used to how the riding works. Start on a 125 or 250f and ride some of the more relaxed tracks and take it easy - almost every jump can be over-jumped if you take them all pinned, the game really rewards flow and rhythm if you want to go fast.

I'm gonna cross post this in the sim racing thread too, but I think it has a lot of cross-over interest.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Rigs of Rods is 100% worth checking out if you like some or weird physics Sims in general. I played a huge amount when it came out, it's really fun.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
It's certainly not perfect but the bike sims gp bikes and mx bikes are pretty loving fun and while you play with an Xbox controller I think they kinda capture the feeling of riding a bike, at least better then most of the other bike games I've played.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm pretty new to sim.racing, I think the advice good ven so far has been good. Seconding (or whatever-ing) the discord, super helpful group for advice and random questions and all that.

I like doing a couple laps in second to kinda feel out a track, then slowly increase pace until I start to hit a wall and then go look at YT for lap guides as I find having some context on the track helps me understand what the fast guys are doing different, and then slowly adjust my lines to theirs. If I go straight to alien lines I'm all over the place overdriving and not getting clean laps, the slow build and shift is key for me.

I started with ACU and found the career mode and all the different cars a good way to get to grips with sim racing and once I felt like I had the basics down I went to iRacing. I thought it was a pretty helpful progression tbh, going straight to iRacing would have been a mess and I got all.ky early punting out of the way on ai instead of other people.

The top about grip being a finite resource and having to spend it against throttle, brake, turning, etc is a good way to put it and then you can think about it for each tire and how weight transfer works and stuff.

But yeah take it slow, it's better to be consistently slow and keep it on track than fast for two turns and bin it so you have a base to get fast from.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I bought some pedals and it came with a voucher for 3 free months of iracing for someone who starts a new account, would anyone here like it? I'm already deep into it so can't use it and happy to pass it along to someone whos been thinking about it but hasn't signed up yet. All I ask is that it gets used and not redeemed and then ignored.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

RBR update now has soft lock per car apparently, and a lot of mod tools been coming out or announced for it recently to more easily edit pace notes/create maps. Pretty good. Also I spent money like a good lil piggy and got sprints lol. I think it was fanatecs fundamentally being floor pedals in design that pissed me off forever. Terrible ergonomics for my big rear end feet. An absolutely pain in the rear end baseplate design tho, they should throw whoever designed it into a river.

Any way to run RBR in VR? I don't have a monitor on my rig at the moment and miss the game :sweatdrop:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nah I have a monitor, it's just that my sim setup isn't at my desk because I do iracing in VR so it's a few feet away where it fits in the room better. Unfortunately it restricts me to VR only games with the wheel which is a bummer.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I have played none of them but also consider trackdayR and GP bikes - I play mx bikes which is a sibling of gp bikes and it's pretty good.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I had a driving force pro.and upgraded to the cls LC pedals and it was the right first step in the upgrade path. I use a length of Paracord tied to one leg of my wheelstand and then wrap that around the column of my office chair and then clip to the other leg, holds me in place pretty good but you definitely notice the flex of the chair with the LC pedals.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I found assetto corsa had a good AI racing progression that got me slowly ready to drive the faster cars, for me it was a great into to sim racing.

Agreed with VB on iracing, the price structure made me hesitant to jump in with having to pay a subscription and also buy content but being able to race real people whenever I want and have a license progression and mmr built in and low effort has been what's gotten me to stick with the hobby.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
iracing has active reset where you can set a point anywhere on track you like, and with a button you're back at that same point going the same speed and all that. Great for practicing one tricky turn, pit entry, or a sector over and over until you get it right.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

bUm posted:

Also, Rennsport closed beta sign-ups are open with invites supposedly starting tomorrow.

The 'esports sim' with a max of 12 cars on the grid lol

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
That is a loving sick giant button box and overall setup.

For the VR gou question, I manage to get iracing running on my quest2 with a 4570k and 1660 with basically all settings at low and stable-ish 72fps, I would say that's absolute minimum requirements and I only get away with it because framedrops in VR don't make me sick or dizzy.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Assetto Corsa unlimited and dirt rally 2.0 are both hard to go wrong with as starting points for sims.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm also not gonna say it's cheap but I wouldn't be as into sim racing as I am without the zero effort racing against real people iracing offers. Do I wish it was cheaper? For sure! Is there something that offers a range of car and race types with zero overhead online racing? Doesn't seem like it tbh.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

pzy posted:

IIRC it said I was banned from joining real races for 48 hours

How wrong did you go down the pit lane? Usually it takes something like intentional wrecking to get anything more than a warning, I'm struggling to think of anything you could do from the pits that would get you a 48h timeout.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm pretty sure they tell you in the email informing you you've got a timeout

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I got that bundle and already had ACU and ACC if anyone wants the keys for free PM me.

I think the discord group tried out a fun race in AMS2 and it went so-so? We're all deep into iracing so thats usually the lowest-overhead platform for the most people but we did some modded AC races that were fun.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Also just to double check you're plugged in yeah?

Homeless Friend posted:

I’d just reinstall the oculus program, set foveation to max. the debug tool is required to crank up the bitrate

Can you elaborate on the bitrate thing?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm sorry for the dumb question about using the cable but spent a solid chunk of time troubleshooting a guys Q2 being weird before discovering he was airlinking through a router in the other room and wondering why he had random quality drops and laggy response on occasion and wanted to get that out of the way, glad you found something that worked. I wish it had a drat DP port or something and didnt have to deal with the compression and oculus app in general.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
MX Bikes is prob the best simmy MX game, MX sim is good but old and feels very old. First person view in MXB is the closest a game has felt to actually riding for me, and its pretty deep and fun but kinda frustrating at times vs a more arcadey game.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm also hyped by this as I do all my other racing in VR and cant be assed to set a screen up for the rig.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
One of the notable differences between ACC and iracing is that even in the cars with abs in iracing the fastest thing to do isn't hammer the brake into abs and let it sort it out.

Also VR is iracing is pretty loving good, can confirm. Don't have a 3mo code unfortunately :(

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
yeah going to a loadcell brake is huge!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm pretty sure the g29 has a clutch pedal and either includes or has an add-on for an h-pattern shifter. I really think a used g29 is a great starter point for gear and then if you really like it the fanatec DD bundle is real cheap these days.

The playseat type of setup might be nice if you're never gonna go beyond a g29, but I'm happy with my gt omega wheelstand I added the seat frame and an nrg bucket seat to.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think the only logitech load cell option for the g29 would be that truebrake mod. I think thrustmaster has a LC option thats console compatible?

No idea about trueforce.

I'd guess you're looking at a fanatec DD bundle for cheapest DD wheel thats console compatible, the moza r3 and r5 look like PC or PC/xbox only?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've read zero reviews for the cammus c5 or done any comparison shopping, but I feel like if you have a g920 rn you might as well save up a little more and spring for a fanatec or moza bundle + LC pedal, I feel like the c5 could be a weird position where you'll still want to get a slightly nicer DD at some point whereas a CSL DD or a R5/R9 could be a forever setup, especially with multiple rims.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

i have an iracing sub, how does one get into that? Is there a way to practice or train for it?

Come join the discord that in either this OP or the iracing thread OP, on one hand we're in a bit of a deadzone for official endurance events until daytona next year, on the other hand bearpope is going to be running 1 or 2 cars in a endurance league and a spotter might be really nice to have. Same with some single driver leagues we run in, having someone to check gaps and position within class or look for damage or whatever could be nice, and its a good community for sim stuff as well.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Most games seem to have a pretty straightforward control wizard now, at least as far as I've seen. Turn wheel left, right, hit gas and brake, shift etc and you're good to go. I think easy to setup VR is always gonna be harder to get working and working well.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
This person organizes a lot of the goon races, use their link: https://www.iracing.com/membership/?refid=22938

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 21, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The discord has a very active iracing group that does lots of the special events, has a very casual private league, and generally chats a lot about sim racing and getting better. It might be in the iracing thread OP if it's not in this thread somewhere, I'd recommend joining.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I bought one with no plans to get a wheel side any time soon just cuz of the discount. I figure someday I'll make the jump to the new system, might as well save 50$.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Your safety racing an average of corners per incident point, so you can get points but you need a low average to make number go up.

Usually a 0x is light contact with a car or wall, 1x is off track, 2x is loss of control (spin), and a 4x is a solid contact with someone.

Imo rookies are for learning race craft and driving around other people, not getting fast. So don't go farm sr by driving around at the back solo, but after races review when you got incident points and ask what you could have done to avoid it, even if it's.not your fault. Sure someone came down on you and cut you off, but could you have predicted it and opened up space to save your race? It's a bummer to do but you'll finish better staying clean and letting agro people through and they'll usually kill themselves anyways.

This is all based on my experience road racing but I think it applies to ovals.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Beam.ng has city maps and normal rear end cars without modding, might be worth a try. Or yeah cones in a parking lot.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I believe it's just relative speed differential at contact, there's just low and high energy collisions regardless of intent.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Not a great sign they said it was delayed to continue to expand ACC but I'm hyped for it. I'm mostly into iracing for the easy head to head racing but driving random cars in AC is a good time

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think they've said it's their own engine, something evolved from AC. Which has me excited as I'm a VR racer and everything I've heard about ACC makes it sound terrible for VR due to UE.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
All ui elements in iracing are movable with like Ctrl+k or something.

I had bad headaches for a while and the solution was a better step setup, I went with bobovr and don't regret it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You can't move the in-car mirror but you can move the virtual one