Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You could do worse than Grid Autosport. Grid 2, for example. In that series, though, I still think the original Grid is the best. Plus it runs like a dream at obnoxious PC gaming in 2016 resolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Started using both feet at once and trail braking, now I've gone from way behind the field/wiping out all the time to running clean laps fighting for second-to-last in Forza 7 Regulations Beta lobbies. Progress. Was real close to deciding this wasn't for me but now I'm energized as hell.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Automobilista 2 has started rolling out "new physics," starting with open wheel cars. I'm fairly new to racing with a wheel and I'd basically given up on AMS2, but I'm having a MUCH better time with it now. I'm qualifying within the pack and everything.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Why would you make a sim that does the exact same thing multiple existing sims do, but without the ability to run a full field?

Why would you bother doing that?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I said come in! posted:

F1 2023 is out now, did anyone pick it up? This is the first year that i'm really on the fence about wanting to buy it. I think i'm mostly just tired of the F1 series at this point. The PC version does return with VR support again though so that is a big plus.

I've sat out F1 for a good long time and I have the 8 hour trial installed on my Series X right now. Very curious to see how it is, as I've really been enjoying driving the generic F1-alike in AMS2 with the new physics.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I wish for the officially licensed game, the older generation F1 cars would come back. They only did that for one year, and I was hoping it would become standard.

I have 2013 on Steam and it has a bunch of throwback cars, is that the one you mean? Or did they do that again more recently?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I said come in! posted:

More recent! F1 2020 I think is where they brought it back. I always see other fans of the series request that it come back too, but Codemasters ignores everyone.

I'm sure that's just delisted as all hell by now

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Having an alright time in the first few hours of F1 23, but it's weirdly missing downshifts on my G920. Forza 7 and AMS2 don't seem to be doing it which makes me think it's game jank and not Logitech jank.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yeah AMS2 is like a whole new actually-playable game with the new physics. They need to get that working on all the cars ASAP, they've got much stronger product all of a sudden.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I set up head tracking with OpenTrack and my phone camera yesterday and it's making me way better in AMS2. Might lock down forward position but other than that, zero complaints. Worth trying!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fatal posted:

This seems really cool! Maybe will help me with a single monitor, what do you run?

I run a Ryzen5 5600 with 3060Ti, so I'm doing 4K60 in AMS2/AC with decent headroom on a 43 inch tv I'm using as a monitor. I came from a 1660 and I bet it can do AMS2 at 1440p no problem. The head tracking stuff doesn't really affect performance, but you want a consistent framerate to minimize how jittery your moves look.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Automobilista 2, also good with the new physics they put out for open wheel vehicles (the rest coming soon)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vando posted:

I wish my local golf club would let me use the clubs I bought from the pro shop on the course without paying the membership fee

You really don't have to defend tying offline use of purchased content to a paid subscription

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vando posted:

I have no idea but I assume they do because if not why wouldn't they provide it?

I don't think it's much of a leap to assume a for-profit entity will paywall an activity because they feel they can get away with it, irrespective of marginal costs that may or may not be incurred by someone doing offline practice laps.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Probably a matter of there just not being a big enough market to make it worth trying to dethrone an entrenched player.

Really curious to see how Forza Motorsport plays out if it has a safety rating system. Obviously there will be dozens of dealbreakers for the existing iracing crowd, but maybe in the long run it brings in a lot of new people? Wheels are cheaper than ever.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

As mentioned, Gran Turismo Sport and 7 did this pretty well, but that’s probably mostly an effect of the PlayStation walled garden and their users having no other choice.

I think FM has the potential to do a bit more, just through ease of access. Unlike GT there's a PC version, and you don't have to pay $70 for either - if you have GamePass, you can play it, and of you don't you can pay $1 to play it for a month. Of course, this is post-FM4 Turn10 so they'll gently caress it up somehow.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Is there any organized goon racing being done for Automobilista 2?

None that I know of but I'd be down for some casual AMS2

If anyone's missing titles, there's a heck of a bundle on Humble. For a minimum of $13, you get AC Ultimate Edition, ACC, AMS2, AMS2, and NASCAR Heat 5. I picked it up just to get the AC DLC and ACC. Hilariously I'm playing NASCAR Heat more than anything else.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thank you for curing me of any Cheap Used Quest notions

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So is doing PC VR with a Quest a streaming thing where you have to have a video encoding middle step?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Deleting the cheap VR driving dreams from my brain and resuming a search for a TV mount that brings it forward and down easily. I have a good wheel stand setup I put in front of the desk but the screen is a bit high for driving.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GhostDog posted:

TV mounts for somewhat special requirements can be a hassle to find. Something that extends down and out but also folds back close to the wall... good luck. I need to find something to rotate a 55" by 90° and also slide it to one side by a 2 feet or so.

They've got these "fireplace" mounts now but they're drat expensive

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Man I wish I lived somewhere with people Facebook marketplacing $120 rifts

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Finally tried the copy of ACC that came in that humble bundle after spending all of my have-a-wheel-now 2023 in FM7 and (more recently) AMS2 and...yeah, now I get it. That's the one. AMS2, still very good for doing lots of different types of cars, but man does ACC click.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ordered the Truebrake mod for my Logitech. Further down the hole I go...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wow I'm way more consistent in ACC with the truebrake mod

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Banging this drum again, the Truebrake mod for the G29/920/923 brake pedal kicks that whole setup up another notch.

The G29+mod gets you up to $340 or so, which is approaching an entry level DD bundle, but I don't think those bundles come with a brake pedal that works that well

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Since doing the Truebrake mod on my G920, I've been doing worlds better in ACC's campaign. That and anchoring my wheelstand to a chair with straps have massively raised my ceiling. Because this is sim racing, of course now I'm like "how else can I spend money" and I'm starting to have The Thoughts about the Cammus C5.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

amenenema posted:

Which spring are you using?

The green one with the middle spacer.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I've read zero reviews for the cammus c5 or done any comparison shopping, but I feel like if you have a g920 rn you might as well save up a little more and spring for a fanatec or moza bundle + LC pedal, I feel like the c5 could be a weird position where you'll still want to get a slightly nicer DD at some point whereas a CSL DD or a R5/R9 could be a forever setup, especially with multiple rims.

I've been looking at that too, but to not take a step back with the brake pedal it's really not "a little more," it's spending like 2x. I'm also a bit skeptical of the "forever setup" as a concept.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 23, 2023

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Do not spend any more money on those pedals when the Logitech LC stuff is basically free...

I mean, nothing else to spend money on wrt those pedals at this point. What do you mean "basically free," though?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

jabro posted:

Seems EA WRC can’t even be properly reviewed. The game has constant micro-stuttering where no one can complete a stage.

Not a word from all those YouTubers with prerelease access.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah. If I want to feel like I'm being explosively decompressed over the course of five minutes I'll drive a Stratos because Group B was a biblical car plague tamed by driver-knights, but the thing about the advancement of car design is that it makes cars easier to drive, and that should be reflected accurately.

This is my beef with GT3 cars in games that aren't ACC. GT and the Forzae make McLaren F1s of all of them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Nobody in here needs "GT and Forza are simcade" explained to them. It's practically a cliche at this point, even outside this thread everyone's heard it.

It's clear that both games - especially Forza - subscribe to the notion that it's more realistic for faster cars or lose traction at the drop of a hat in their most sim-oriented modes, and for modern race cars that just isn't true. In that respect they're failing at both "sim" and "cade."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Buying a handbrake really does feel like the last finger losing its grip on the edge of the abyss. This is your life now. This is video games to you.

I'll take a look at the Fanatec one.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shifted from a metal folding chair to a lawn chair. Much happier with this. Better position, and I think I can mount a HOTAS on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

AMS2 has pcars2 tier VR support and an un-hosed tire model. Also you can actually buy it without getting some eBay code.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I bought the AMS2 dlc and I'm very glad I did. Good single player times.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Have they said if it's using Unreal like ACC?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

What would you want from AC2 that you can't get right now with AC content manager? I guess an entirely new engine and physics but I feel like they're just as likely to get it wrong as they are improve it.

The ability to install and run it like a normal rear end game

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Quinntan posted:

Proper day/night cycles and weather integration and a multiplayer system that isn't a complete goddamned nightmare to get going.

My league has pretty much completely forsworn AC because it was such a pig to run. We're just waiting for the AMS2 multiplayer fix and we'll be right back to that.

The AMS2 devs have more-or-less declared that its multiplayer difficulties are inherent to the engine, so AC2 is the best hope in the medium-term.

My hope for AC2 - and I think this is shared by a lot of people - is something new. We've been playing the same titles patched, modded, and DLC'd for years now. A fresh start on a new title whose multiplayer works well would do The Hobby a world of good, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Is a boxed copy of Automobilista 2 a thing that exists? Kinda want to give it to my brother for Christmas and a printout is a bummer.