Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Sarrisan posted:

Dirt rally 2 is fine with a controller, imo. I played with a controller for a year before i bought my wheel (i'm slower with the wheel).

Yeah, I'm racing DR2 with a group and two of them play on controllers well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Picked up a clubsport handbrake and shifter. I want to change the orientation of my handbrake, but one of the bolts is on so tight I stripped my hex wrench instead. They also only sent me one of the two USB adapters I ordered, so i can only use either the shifter or handbrake at the moment. Really impressed with fanatec.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Especially with consoles being a huge target for them.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

tater_salad posted:

for me it's steering throttle.. all of it.

Use Content Manager for Assetto, it’s a way better interface and I’ve never had issues with my control profiles using it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah fanatec has a huge backlog right now :( I’m hoping my order actually ships at the end of October like it’s supposed to.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

I've played enough Dirt Rally that I'm immune to crashes and rolls. If I ever manage to become an IRL racing driver, I can have comfort in the fact that my charred corpse won't be covered in vomit.

Yeah, wait until you feel the actual g forces. You might still vomit.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

anyone have a fanatec direct drive wheel base? i'm thinking of getting one of the new Gran Turismo DD bundles but i don't know what i'm really getting in to and if 8nm is enough pow pow.

I got the CSL DD and coming from a g29 it rocks. 8nm is good enough and you don’t need to drop over a grand just to get the base and a wheel.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

I hate that they do this.

It’s a ways out now but Black Friday always has good deals even for current members. I buy a year sub then even if I don’t need to reup yet.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Dirt Rally 2 VR is fine, not sure why this one wouldn’t be.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

bUm posted:

At an obvious level--I don't think F1 2021 even models flat spotting tires which seems like a pretty bog standard "sim" thing.

Iracing doesn’t either :(

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's definitely a lot more of a handful than the SR8 was, but in a good way, it is rowdy

edit: I hope with ndm it can take a hit better than the SR8, it was extremely fragile

Yeah I had a pretty big contact that would have ended an SR8 race and kept going fine in the SR10

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I think there’s still embargo so we won’t see any actual reviews yet. Dave Cam did say it “is much better” and left it at that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Fellblade posted:

Pretty sure he also said he didn't even play the last game so...

Yeah fair.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

KillHour posted:

The processor probably isn't going to improve your framerate if it went down by just increasing resolution. That's all GPU.

A 3080 ti can do triples no problem, I doubt his GPU is the issue.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Can you run the side monitors at a different resolution than the middle one in a tripple setup? With an ultrawide in the middle, on the side I really would just want the ability to see if there's a car there and some additional sense of speed.

e: Thinking about it, that seems highly unlikely to be possible.

No, it’s one big resolution setting not three separate settings.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Well, we'll find out for sure - picking up a 5900X after work today, will report.

:sigh:

:hai:

I run a 3090 and a 5950x and run triples for iracing plus a fourth for random poo poo no problem. I only dip below 100fps at the worst spots with maxed out settings.

5900x and 3080 ti should work very similarly.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Might only be in a bundle with the Gt version but it’s here still: https://fanatec.com/us-en/accessories/wheel-base-accessories/boost-kit-180-8nm

Edit nope here it is https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/racing-wheels/csl-dd-8-nm

Found it listed under the bundles

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

How is the online racing scene on this one compared to like iRacing? How often there is races, is there safety rating or some sort of mmr? I assume its mostly GT3 and GT4 right?

There’s a community system now (low fuel motorsports is one of them I think) that more and more are starting to use. Similar to iracing with SR and ELO ranking.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I just got a TR120 and I love it. I’d been on the fence for a bit but they got me with that 15% off everything deal.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I already had an NRG Prisma.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Slow is smooth is fast.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Love my V3s. Recommend the brake perf kit if you don’t mind spending a bit more, not _necessary_ but I really like my stronger elastomers.

If you find yourself looking for another smallish upgrade the damper kit on the throttle is also really nice. I keep the damper setting pretty low but it still adds a lot more stability to controlling the pedal.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

MrYenko posted:

FPV headsets have little bitty fans in them to constantly extract the moist air between your face and the screens. VR headsets should really take a note on that.

The index has a third party fan you can slap on the front which helps quite a bit.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
fr there are single pedals that cost more than that now

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
There is an Indy car game I’m sure will totally get released and be a great game

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I’d have been hounding support well before then!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Dirt 2 is what really got me going. I hardly do any rally now but it’s super fun.

Definitely grab AC Ultimate pack on sale (happens often). AC2 is coming but the first had GOBS of content (official and mods).

If you want to do competitive racing then it’s hard to compete with iRacing currently. If you only care about solo fuckery then do not touch iracing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Iracing is hands down the best if you want easy to access competitive online racing. They also are not terrible with incentives!

Every 3x items in cart is a discount, once you own 40 you have a permanent discount.

You can earn up to $10 in credits every season (rookies don’t count) by completing a race (or most of one at least) for 8 of the 12 weeks in a season. I do wish this what at least 13 or 15 to cover a car or track, but nobody else is doing this.

There’s no denying iracing has a cost, but it can be spread out and buying the most popular tracks first will see continuous usage of those tracks. The car cost is far less of an issue: just don’t try and drive 5 series at once! Pick one or two (and whatever free cars) and focus more on building the track library.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Counter point: driving stints in a 24 hour endurance race with others rules.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Is it out yet? What # is it now? Always hard to look this stuff up when there's been a bunch of games with the same name.

It doesn’t have a number it’s just EA WRC.

It’s out in November I think

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

njsykora posted:

The console sims both really love to make faster cars harder and Forza especially has never really gotten downforce right. A big part of this is neither game having decent options for real world assists, though GT7 at least has levels of ABS and TC that can be adjusted on the fly which is a decent halfway step at least.

The console “sims” are not sims. At best they are simcade.

ACC is actually on the sim side of things. Comparing ACC to GT7/Forza is folly imo, they don’t have the same goals at all.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

I think that's sort of the point they're making though (and I think they know FM/GT aren't proper sims); you'd expect that cars would be easier to handle in a simcade rather than harder.

Ah, well that point went right past me!

Yeah, that’s definitely A Thing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
There’s a “black box” with fuel info - f4 or f5 by default I think? Same for all cars, there’s a series of standard “black boxes” with various info and controls.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Ty, very helpful! Will join the discord when I'm home

Another dumb newb question: I know you get penalized if you withdraw from a race, but do you get penalized if you withdraw from a practice session? I wanted to try out road course and joined a 40 min practice session but only had 20 minutes to play

i would just test drive the track but i want to practice driving with others on the track

Practice sessions do not count towards anything. The sporting code still applies, but SR and IR are out entirely.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

is there an option for a pit limiter because ima go nuts if i get a penalty again for going 36 mph in a 35 for a nanosecond

Yes but not all cars have one! Notably the Formula Ford and Vee in the earlier classes.

Edit: assuming you mean iracing here

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Yes I do! Thank you!

Is there a way i can check if a car has one? i'm doing all the Class D oval series rn

Ah yeah a couple early ovals don’t either. Best way to check is try it in practice! Also the option will be grayed out in settings.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Isn't i racing making a new ovals game in 24/25?

For consoles. iracing is their desktop oval game.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

tater_salad posted:

99% sure it had a pic of steam in the promo.
Yup..
I racing has acquired NASCAR video game rights for PC and console
Oh yes, this article from nascar says “simulation style console game ”… https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2023/10/05/iracing-acquires-nascar-team-properties-exclusive-simulation-style-console-racing-game-license/

But the image has steam there. I think my confusion is forgivable, but maybe not my laziness!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lol Fanatec. When they said 'shipping complete' and then didn't provide any shipping details what they actually meant was 'we didn't provide any information to warehouse and actually haven't shipped anything' which judging by the reddit thread that seemed to pop up a whole pile of stuff for people ordered back into October just did that. So lol.

I had that happen a while ago with Fanatec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I would give that roughly a 100% chance of still working.