Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
:allears:

I rather liked this game. The fact that a high-quality lp'er like you is doing it is pretty cool.

Almost cool enough for me to forgive you for getting my hopes up with the lunar 2 lp* :catbert:

Regardless, looking forward to reading through this one.

*I'm sure you had a good reason.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Nah. You can only do it as a dialog option once. I think it's meant to be a one off gag.

Speaking of which, want to hear something hilarious? I've never made it past the third (proper) boss before in this game. At a certain point I'm going as blind into it as you are! Isn't that fun! :q:

Oh boy are you in for a treat. :smug:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You use the abomination!! You have great taste.

He's almost another primary damage dealer when dealing with magic users (and there's a poo poo ton of those bastards in this game). He also get's healing, tanking, and crowd control. He can do it all, and I love the abominable bastard for it :allears:

In fact, if you drop the witch and replace it with a minotaur then you would have my first party.

Healer you say? I used the vampire as my primary healer :suicide:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

Taunting never seems to really work on bosses anyhow. I'm not sure that enemy special skills even take taunts into account, so you waste a turn having your tank try to do his thing and the boss ignores him to paste your squishes anyhow.

EDIT: Also, re: loot chat, the first time I made it past the 2nd boss (on Hard) it was only because I somehow randomly found an endgame quest reward armor in a chest in the 2nd area.

It works, it's just not 100% works. I think it ups the possibility of the tank being hit by like 50 to 75%. Course that's just speculation.

Also, yeah I hate random loot. Makes me to tempted to save scum.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I forgot that the puppet is take it or it's gone.

Take the puppet

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Welp, this lp got me to play the game again.

The first boss can be stupidly hard, but if you can get over that hump.....

:black101:

The ghost is amazing I just want to say, I'm shocked that I never realized this before. :allears:

mauman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 24, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

I'm guessing you can't, like, craft or buy acid flasks.

No, but you can save scum potions you find if you're desperate.

Though as long as you keep them to bosses only, you should naturally get enough to get you through the game.

Also, certain enemies drop them too.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Silegna posted:

So yeah, I think I just got an accessory I wasn't supposed to have yet. Magician's Bracelet +10(!) Magic.
That and I got a staff that gave +8. Guess I'll be using the Sorceror as well, a Sorceror this playthrough. If Only I could get a freaking Warhammer Drop for my Abomination though.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

dots are solid, but I have some issues with straight up magic damage in this game. Too many times I've gotten zero for damage on a target. It get's annoying after awhile :downs:

Silegna posted:

So, I have a question: Why can't the Sorceror equip the Steel Claymore I picked up? Can he not equip it?

Yes, the sorcerer class cannot equip the claymore or heavier weapons in general (or Katars, or chains).

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 5, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shiva Asori posted:

the sorcerer...

Chokes is doing this blind.

That might qualify as a spoiler, just saying.

Either way, it feels wrong to talk about it till we actually get to that point.

silversatyr posted:

Stardew Valley

What's this? Haven't heard of this one. Better check steam.

gently caress, better get my wallet :shepspends:

Thanks for the info.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 6, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glidergun posted:

If you had not put that in a screenshot I would not have believed it was actually in the game. What the gently caress.

This game has a rather quirky sense of humor at times. I rather like it actually.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Just found this this

Looks like a combination of wizardry and Shadowrun IN SPACE of all things

Still early access so I haven't decided if I'm going to buy it, but it definitely looks intriguing if you're into this kind of game.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Looking forward to it.

Have fun in Chicago.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

drat, I missed the vote.

Not that it mattered since I was going to be nice and recommend the :ghost:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm pretty sure they're Catacombs only, since the Puppet's an optional character you can only get down there. Could be wrong, though!

Also whoever said our current jerks wouldn't have synergy with the Ghost, you're about to get some hilarity. :getin:

I've found some in normal fights.

It's rare though, and surprised me the first time I saw it.

And I wasn't one of those naysayers, I knew what you could do with the Ghost :getin:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Actually, I would think that Willow would HATE the dryad, since the dryad is for all intents and purposes a superior witch.

Also, while you can't pick them in the steam version, they're easy to hack into a party. Granted I would only do this if your first two picks were the witch and imp, and you switched them out asap. It gets a lot more complicated after that.

mauman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 22, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

:getin: Now I see why so many people play up the ghost as a facewrecker. That's SMT-levels of debuff usefulness.

He's not even using his best debuff.

Ghost has a physical resistance debuff. That picture of the huge hit I posted earlier? That was involved and that was round 2 of a boss on hard.

I'm of the opinion that Sorc, Vlad, Frank, and :ghost: is the best party.

mauman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 24, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Danakir posted:

So you manage fine without a healer? I'm assuming you're not using Vlad for that purpose.

Frank and Vlad cover healing just fine.

Vlad for emergency hp recovery, and Frank covers the MUCH MORE vital defense recovery (in two stacking flavors no less). If you're desperate, Frank can also heal hp.

Besides, healing is a non-issue when 3 out of your for 4 party members are tanks, and if the ghost gets wailed on you can always have Frank come to the rescue with his taunt.

Also, Vlad is stupid efficient on healing out of combat. Keep the witch on the side lines with a few energy upgrades and Vlad can heal the whole party for the price of one or two heals from Willow.

Plus there's always items, though I haven't really needed them.

I know I mentioned this earlier, but because of how the whole defense/hp thing works, a dedicated healer is really not needed. If you're healing hp every round you're probably in a losing situation, especially on harder difficulties.

To give an example of how skewed it is let's say frank has 160 defense. A big hit could take about 20-30 defense and 20 hp. If you're defense drops low enough that hp hit could be in the neighborhood of a 100 or so. It gets really tense when your defense starts dropping.

mauman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, I end up using Witch as a DoT dealer and secondary heal.

Which is sadly why the Dryad is better than the witch. Dryad gets all of the witch's spells AND another dot. The rarest form of dot too. And it's enemy all AND does decent damage to boot. I've also never seen it fail barring a miss.

It's a stupidly strong spell.

Poor Willow.

citybeatnik posted:

The "use the vampire as a walking blood bank" is part of the reason i tend to pick the cleric and the witch as side line buddies. I really should give this another go with a more varied party.

The puppet can also do blood bank duty if you wish.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 25, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shiva Asori posted:

Not quite, Dryad gets most of the witches spells, among the ones she doesn't get are curse of the weak, curse of the fool and witchfire.
Dryad still easily makes up for it with her AOE DoT.

Forgot about witchfire, that is an ok spell

Those other two are meh.

I guess for argument's sake you could also mention she technically gets a different basic cold spell too. Not that there's any real difference between the two spells.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I have to admit, there's an item I really really hope you find (that randomly spawns in this particular set of blocks).

It's going to be great if you do find it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

I've already completed the playthrough on this block, and I'll assume I didn't since nothing made me go :aaa: outside the special drops.

That being said, don't spoil it until we at least get to Myles.

No worries. I think the next block uses the same list for potential random loot.

Hopefully, you get it on the next one.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DeliciousCookie posted:

Recently picked this game up again cause of this LP. I had forgotten how brutal the fights can be in general. Hell, outside of I think the first few bosses, some tend to be somewhat easy in comparison to the normal fights. Probably doesn't help that my team isn't exactly optimized either. On that note.. Does the succubus ever.. Not suck? I'm starting to wonder if something is bugged or something, since she does like next to no damage melee wise, but on the flipside, she seems to be completely immune to physical damage. My tactic for the first few fights was simply to drop bait on her and let everything futilely wiggle their weapons at them until they died from something else.

The Succubus, like the imp (who she is based off of) will NEVER do any decent damage. She can't use weapons, and like the imp, her magical attacks are so-so. Physically attacking with her is literally a waste of time. This has the "nice" added effect of making her basic skill borderline useless. While the the imp has a 1 energy fire attack, the Succubus' basic skill is a 2 energy physical attack that might stun a single target. It's pretty bad. She somewhat makes up for this with some added healing magic (which is rather nice actually considering she can still be useful if she's on the sidelines).

She (and the imp) are the only classes that still have the super physical immunity though which is nice (once upon the time the ghost and shadow had it too, but that was deemed WAY to strong).

The point of the Succubus is to use status effects and support magic.

Now someone who has the GoG version is going to have to fill in here, because I honestly don't know the next part.

The imp has sleep. The only way to get the succubus in the the steam version is to hack the succubus in using the imp, so the succubus in the steam version starts with sleep. If she doesn't have sleep then yes, she's useless. If she does start with sleep, then like the imp, she has the best early CC in the game.

Just a note, other classes start getting enemy-all CC later on. This makes the imp/succubus a rather dubious pick in my opinion. Though having a sleep using class early on in your reserves for tougher fights wouldn't be a bad idea.

SSNeoman posted:

And incidentally that's why a later "choice of abilities" has only one right answer.

I have a feeling that you and I agree 100%.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 12, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah, blind and challenge are somewhat RNG dependant. I've had better luck with challenge than blind though (I do play on harder difficulties which probably affects this).

Good to know about the Succubus. Even though I have to hack her in to use her I would have her as close to correct as possible. Course if she didn't have sleep I would never use her. She (and by extension the imp) wouldn't be a good character to pick if she didn't have it.

Randomly looking on the GoG forums I just learned something interesting. I always hated Scorch due to the fact that it doesn't seem to proc that often, and now I know why. Scorch's success rate is based on STRENGTH and not magic :psyduck:

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 13, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Seeing as we're talking about the Imp:

The Imp owns. He is MVP of my 1980s run right now, that AoE sleep is the difference between "get beaten down horribly" and "spend 15 minutes grinding down these random mobs".

He...unfortunately doesn't get that much else good to be honest. But I have seen him actually heal from getting stabbed by physical attacks, so there's that.

He's amazing.....up until your other guys get skills that can take over his job.

Then he sucks. But he'll be great until then at least :downs:

Also, I can't help but feel that the Skeleton is just a weak Frank.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

People talk about the 2nd boss as being the major hurdle.

Nope, it's this guy. Even after he's dead the illusions will still mess you up.

Funny thing that I didn't see showed off. While the illusions can't heal each other (that's Myle's job) they CAN guard each other with shadowguard, making them immune to attacks for a bit :bang:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Since you begged so nicely, I'll go ahead and vote for the Werewolf.

This seems about right :downs:

If only to see Willow's response when you summon someone who can't use your shiny new axe.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Hope everything turns out ok Chokes.....you seriously are cursed :downs:

Also, if you like hilariously one sided parties, try Sorc, Minotaur, Puppet (double guillotine arm) and :ghost:

Healing, defense, and CC tend to not be necessary when you can just :fuckoff: everybody

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 5, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Course NOTHING is stopping you from suddenly having a burning desire to rest in your bed and then come back to be "ambushed" by the 2nd form.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I'm mildly curious how many messages you got.

I'm a little confused about the whole "one skill per character". It wouldn't be a bad idea to give some basic training (since it costs WAY less) in multiple skills.

Anyways, you generally want the ghost to go first so your teammates can take advantage of the buffs they get so Give the ghost some agility training

Also, you didn't find either of the items that I hoped you would find. That makes me sad :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 6, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Happy 4th Chokes.

Looking forward to your next update.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

Am I the only one rooting for the Sorcerer in this whole thing? Not the "win the game" sense but in this fomenting mutiny and all the flavor Chokes is adding.

Oh definitely.

Sorc may be insufferable, but he's amusing insufferable.

Willow is just insufferable.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Hey! Willow is cool! :mad:

Oops, I just got Sorc mutinied didn't I? :downs:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

She's more like the evil queen from Sleeping Beauty to Sorcerer's Hades from Hercules.

SatansOnion posted:

Willow's the more-functional-but-still-thoroughly-a-fucker Frylock to the Sorcerer's erratic, narcissistic Master Shake

This would be what I was kinda getting at. Not saying that Willow is a bad character, just saying I like Sorc more.

If I have to support a villain, I would rather support the one who makes me laugh.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 12, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

Those are RNG based I believe, and the Minotaur has at least one thing like that as well. Not so sure about the others.

Of course, you can save scum if you so desire.

There is one thing that the Goblin can let you do that normally you could not do, or I should say you can do as well but not all the way.

The goblin does bring some pretty good CC though. Especially at higher levels. I'm not talking about the blind ability either. I'm not a fan of blind since it doesn't help that much on the higher difficulties.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 7, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Crap missed the vote.

Well, I guess going down the path of incompetence WOULD be something our sorcerer would do :doh:

thetruegentleman posted:

While I'm sure there are plenty of ways to cheese the knight, stacking damage-over-time on bosses is very reliable, and is honestly just more interesting besides, since you're less likely to end up in a pure damage race :shrug:. The real problem with the knight is that your pretty much committed *just* to buffing the mage's strength and then hacking away if you don't want the new abilities to go to waste, and that *really* saps the fun out of being a caster; all the more so when your party can do the same thing just as well anyway.

SEVERELY disagree. Only time you really need to buff is during hard single target fights (bosses, mini-bosses), otherwise the KM's abilities do just fine.

Plus the KM still benefits from magic upgrades and has unique DoT attacks too if you really want to go the gradual grinder route.

The ONLY thing that the AM has over the KM is anti-group magic, and that really doesn't help as much as you might think (primarily because of how magic damage works).

Well, not the only thing. AM does have one attack that I really like, but it's more of a convenience thing than anything. Nothing that a few extra turns/some crowd control or items can't bring to the table.

Also, re-reading your comment confused me on one point, what do you mean you'd not use the new abilities? All of the KM's abilities benefit from Strength AND magic so buff or no, you'd have no point not to use them.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 27, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DGM_2 posted:

Really? The frost AoE is the only one I remember doing DoT. I recall trying the fire AoE and giving up on it because it never did anything but straight damage.

That's because all of the Sorc's fire DoT skills are based on strength rather than magic :doh:

Which means scorch has a better success rate on the KM.

DoT's aren't as good on the higher difficulties in comparison to physical (elemental) burst damage.

Also, dots of the same type don't stack. So if you have a troll (bleed), imp (arcane), Dryad (frost, poison), or witch (fire, poison) you're being redundant.

Best AoE attackers in my opinion are the minotaur and puppet tricked out with ultra high strength. Definitely NOT the Arch Magus. They also bring really good single target attacks to the table as well, unlike the Arch Magus. Dryad is an honorable mention for AoE attacking since her frost DoT is so good I made it an exception to my "magic sucks" rule.

On the other hand, the Knight Magus is (as far as I can tell) the best single target attacker in the game. Just throw a firebomb or two is you REALLY want simulate being an Arch Magus. Which reminds me, I dislike it when a class' big selling point (AoE magical damage) can be simulated with a freaking item. No I'm not counting DoTs cuz like I said, the KM has strong DoTs as well.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish they had boosted the Arch Magus a bit, since I felt severely gimped on my 1980's AM playthrough, or perhaps I'm just annoyed at how lopsided this game is towards physical attacking. :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 28, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DGM_2 posted:

:what:

Well, that would have been good to know. I could easily have pumped STR!

I figured that much out for myself, but being able to keep two or three different types of DoT going on the entire enemy party with just my sorcerer would have gone a long way.

Just re-read your comment.

I was just talking about scorch.

SSNeoman posted:

In addition, KM can actually take a hit due to being able to equip medium armor. You can also use Ghost to decrease a target's arcane resistance, increase attack, use Power of Magus and then slam them with KM's murder skill. You can one-shot bosses this way.

yup, especially when the special buff you get crits and you spontaneously get several hundred strength.

boss fight, 2nd round, 1980's

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 28, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Whole lotta abbr itt imho. Idk it's p confusing but idgaf

Ok, this made me laugh despite knowing that this was a bit of a gaff towards me. :downs:

I'll tone it down for a while. I guess I might be a little TOO knowledgeable about the mechanics of this game. :science:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

EDIT: As much as I'm having fun with this discussion, yeah we might be going to far.

DGM_2 posted:

I think I might have been part of the problem too, but blaming it all on you works for me. :P

Happy to help :hfive:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 28, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I got 4 digit damage out of that skill before.

Yeah so have I.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

vdate posted:

Soooo...maybe the Knight Magus can nuke enemy Focus pools? I honestly don't know. Like so many things Paper Sorcerer, it is a mystery to me.

That's exactly what it is. Use it on a mage, if the mage survives (somehow) he won't cast spells.

Not that this works on bosses as far as I remember.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also as far as I've been able to tell you can have poison, bleed, scorch, witchfire, and sear all on one target and every single one of them will do damage. It's pretty incredible :allears:

Oops, not what I meant. I meant two poison skills couldn't stack or two bleed skills. Yes, all of those can stack, and if you're going the magic route it's pretty much your best bet.

still nowhere near as good as physical damage though

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 29, 2016

• Locked thread