Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic that the executions are completely optional.
The ~~glory kills~~ give you extra health, and the game is undoubtedly tuned around actually using them, so I imagine that they are optional like bullet time was technically "optional" in Max Payne: it's possible to ignore it but you'll have a bad time doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

echronorian posted:

Carmack was poo poo and terrible to work with and had terrible design ideas
counterpoint: carmack decided to gently caress off with tom hall's open-world, realistic-level, rpg-lite idea of doom and just make it a corridor shooter

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Blacktoll posted:

loving old dumb nerds who are going to hate it anyway because of their depression
Do'nt post my identity

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wait, is Zaphod42 aggressively misinformed about something?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

Linguica thanks for playing, try again next time.
You started off by confidently proclaiming that Doom 3 made things look like they were made of plastic because the game used "bump mapping". Which is wrong, because the problem was the uniform specularity terms on all objects, not to mention that Doom 3 in fact used normal mapping and not just grayscale heightmaps anyway.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

In one corner we have Zaphod

Zaphod42 posted:

bump mapping [makes things] look like they're made of plastic
And in the other corner we have John Carmack

quote:

One of the other things people have commented on is that the skin tone on the characters doesn't look particularly realistic as a skin tone. Part of that can be attributed to the fact that we only have a single level of specularity. There's only one kind of power factor that goes onto everything. We can make brighter or dimmer specular highlights but we can't make tighter and broader specular highlights. [...] What I've done in the newer renderering paths is made it a two-dimensional texture, so all of the specular lookups happen with an additional rendering map that has the specularity factor in there. [...] That lets you do a lot of interesting things with... the highlight that we've got in Doom is really quite broad for a specular highlight, and it's about what you'd get on a really dull plastic; something that wasn't very shiny, it's a kind of fairly broad, spread out thing. You don't get anything that looks like a really good metallic highlight, or things that would be shiny cast plastic, so there's a lot of neat stuff that you get just playing with that, and going ahead and having some that are even broader and some that tighten down a whole lot to give you bright little pin-point highlights on there.
drat!! who do I believe??

Linguica fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 18, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Look at how the bump mapping makes the guy's coat have a weird unnatural sheen to it.

So let's turn off the bump mapping, that will make the "plastic" look go away.

Wait uh

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I started replaying Doom 3 and holy hell the (early, at least) combat is so bad. Everything appears to be designed around near-unavoidable damage and just engaging in a war of attrition with enemies one by one or in small groups.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I was looking at one of Carmack's Quakecon speeches and he mentioned that before RAGE he had experimented with shadow maps by hacking Doom 3 to use shadow maps instead of the hard-edged stencil shadows, and he said it worked fine and looked good. It made me wonder why BFG Edition stuck with the stencil shadows and if it was just a case of Carmack being stubborn

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I think they literally just cranked the lights up in the BFG Edition.

Doom 3 source code:
code:
idCVar r_lightScale( "r_lightScale", "2", CVAR_RENDERER | CVAR_FLOAT, "all light intensities are multiplied by this" );
Doom 3 BFG Edition source code:
code:
idCVar r_lightScale( "r_lightScale", "3", CVAR_ARCHIVE | CVAR_RENDERER | CVAR_FLOAT, "all light intensities are multiplied by this" );

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So apparently the people hacking the alpha code discovered that Retard 4 is going to include a bunch of the old cheat codes, because I guess "IDDQD" was on the list of most common things the focus group of thirtysomethings remembered fondly about Doom

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I used to have a full set of the Doom pewter figurines, and recently I wondered where they went and then I remembered I sold them 10 years ago for $350 or something.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Xenomrph posted:

distant planet called Olduvai
Yeah that's not completely on the nose or anything.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Recently I tried playing Heretic for five minutes for some reason and oh my god it is so ugly and awful

It shows just how much Doom got right aesthetically when someone made a virtual gameplay clone and it sucks balls

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The weird thing about Doom 3 is that for some reason id software decided to frontload it with all the lovely levels and put the decent levels at the end

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5av2v0dKcCg

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kfIrneQWE are you pumped to see youtube superstars play retard 4?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23FightLikeHell&src=tyah WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hardcore screamo? In my Retard 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZ4tSoumNk

It's more likely than you think.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I tried overdubbing the new trailer with some different music to make it more le epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYbb3nJCNE

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Abyss posted:

There's no drop in feature, once you've started a match you won't have players join randomly during it.
Haha, seriously? That's just about the last "feature" of OG Doom that I would have expected to find in the new game.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Heavy Metal posted:

how do you know they have no talent?
why would anyone with talent agree to work on something called "Retard 4"? QED.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

didn't the quad damage in quake 3 actually do 3X damage, or am I misremembering?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

No rocket jumping huh. id is truly dead

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm gonna make the prediction now that after release when the game's multiplayer is panned by arena shooter / esports type people and no one is interested in playing it, they will in desperation release an update that adds back in rocket jumping / greater air control / bunnyhopping / everything else they left out from the original release for Reasons

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Skeleton King posted:

I was wanting Doom, or at least Brutal Doom... I have no clue why every developer imitates CoD instead of trying to make something unique.
So by "unique" you mean "copy the thing I want them to copy, instead of copying the other thing"

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Doom beta report: played the multiplayer for about 20 minutes and I would be fine never playing it again.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

retard 4 has audio logs recorded by satan. this is not a joke.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

haha bethesda just announced that retard 4 is having an fully-open beta multiplayer thing the weekend after next. congrats to everyone who bought wolfenstein so that they would feel like part of an elite special club

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Overbite posted:

They announced premium multiplayer dlc for the low low price of $14.99 get you some more maps son.
No you misunderstand, that's $14.99 for a third of the planned DLC content (not counting TBA expansion packs). But you can save save save by purchasing the entire DOOM(R) Season Pass for $29.99.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 6, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

treat posted:

$39.99.
Oh, my mistake. As I was saying, you can save save save by purchasing the entire DOOM(R) Season Pass for $39.99.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

it's kind of sad to see id Software finally finish its transition from "cool indie studio run by geeks like you and me" to "corporate machine that actively despises its own customer base" but I guess All Things Must Pass

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Heavy Metal posted:

Shouldn't we try the single-player game they've been working on for years before throwing id into a coffin? Quake 3 Arena also had an expensive expansion I didn't buy.
I meant the company culture and interaction with the fanbase more than anything. Even with RAGE, when id was already a fully owned subsidiary of Bethesda, Carmack was still around and gave his Quakecon keynotes and actually discussed things about the game honestly and openly because no one could tell him to stop. The Doom 2016 marketing has been 100% corporate calculation and prevarication. Look at the "Doom beta" stuff - two years ago they tried to get people to buy Wolfenstein TNO by heavily promoting access to an exclusive "Doom beta," which turned out to mean that you could play an extremely limited multiplayer test 2 whole weeks before the rest of the world. Nothing about that was false advertising per se, but it was clearly a bad-faith mischaracterization intended to trick people into believing they were getting something more substantial than what was really planned.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Heavy Metal posted:

Granted, but just saying all these criticisms are for stuff not related to the SP campaign. This game could be great even just based on that.
The SP could be great, but I'm just saying it's no longer a game made by :airquote:id software:airquote: with the weird old school magic that implies, because :airquote:id software:airquote: is dead.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The announcer is a Cortana-ish AI character from the SP storyline, which is why it sounds so blandly helpful. That's not an excuse for using it in the MP, but at least it explains what they were thinking.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bland can sell though

Doom 4: the Olive Garden of shooters

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

captain saveaho here to defend the honor of a corporate-mandated reboot,

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ostentatious posted:

the thing I really hate about this game is people circle strafing each other whole mashing their melee key like they are doing a knife duel in counter strike
I rebound melee to the mousewheel scroll so I can just let it spin when i get close to an enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

AirRaid posted:

It's funny you'd mention dead simple when it's literally the first ever example of a game putting you in a room filled with monsters and not opening the doors until you kill everything. Literally the first ever 'fight arena' style level in an FPS.
Uh, E1M8??