Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm like others, not hyped as gently caress but optimistic. I played the multiplayer alpha and was nice considering the limited content I could try. The whole Snap Map utility got my attention since you can build maps really easy, I just hope that they don't limit it, because I'd love to make some classic doom maps with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If Borderlands had Rage's shooting it would be one of the best games ever made because Jesus shooting someone for five minutes in Borderlands 2 if you do the NG+ thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AirRaid posted:

BFG edition is a PC port of the console port of the PC version of Doom 3. The engine works in fundamentally different ways in some areas from the original and you'll find a hell of a lot of mods just straight up will not support it. I know Phobos doesn't. Get yourself a copy of the original if you wanna use anything but the most basic mods.

https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/releases

This is a source port for D3 BFG that lets you create or even modify vanilla D3 mods to work with BFG edition. Also allows for more graphic options, skippable cutscenes (speedrunners started using this source port).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

This thread isn't bad enough so let's try to get it there: Explain the differences betweeen UT and Doom and Quake without referencing fluff.

UT is a TV show, has Skaarjs and gangs loving each other. Doom is a failed experiment in mars with a demonic invasion and that stuff and...

Quake is a failed experiment with Lovecraftian creatures and worlds,
Quake is a war against the Stroggs in one of their planets,
Quake is a tournament between different creatures and characters created by ID Software with no other explanation,
Quake is more of the previous war against the Stroggs where some dude becomes one of them,
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is a Strogg invasion in the earth, previous to Quake 2, with vehicles, big teams and being a mix of Battlefield and its free to download expansion to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Can we talk about Hexen's switch hunting? :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

It seems like every time I load a map I lose about half of my frame rate. The first one is in the 70s-80s, the second in the 40s, and the third in the 20s. I have to exit and reload the game in order to clear this. Any idea what's going on?

I have the same exact problem, every two maps (including challenges) I have to quit to desktop and continue where I left because the game starts moving in slow motion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kramjacks posted:

Use Rich Get Richer and go ham with those mini-rockets.

Got the challenge before getting that upgrade but that drat skill makes the game so fun in high difficulty levels. You can go wild on micromissiles and if you get haste you are basically one of the robots from Macross/Robotech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI Linked because it's a compilation of anime missile spam (Itano Circus).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Good thing is that you can change it on the fly. Sometimes I feel like playing as a mobile missile turret then sometimes I switch perks to be meleeing stuff. I think it's one of the few single player games that I like to jump between missions just for fun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh yes, I want that over anything else. There are good maps in snapmap but feels stupid to limit yourself to only two.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

I just bind 5,6,7,8 to z,x,c,v

I bound the rocket launcher on MWHEELUP, gauss cannon on MWHEELDOWN, super shotgun on Q so I can do fast weapon combos. The rest are simple: Pistol(1), Shotgun(2), HMG(3), Plasma(4), BFG(Z), Chaingun(X), Chainsaw(C) and grenades on Mouse4(thumb).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This game just shows that hiding is for pussies. It's a lesson every 90's shooter taught us and health regeneration took away.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chiefnewo posted:

You need a 486DX. The SX doesn't have the needed maths co-processor so you'll get rubbish framerates. You're stuck with Wolfenstein until you upgrade.

I owned a 486 DX2 @ 66 with 16Mb RAM (upgraded from 8 to 16 for Duke Nukem 3D, and a Cirrus Logic GPU with 1mb. I kept that pc until 2005 when it just blew up and used it for DOS and Win95 gaming (I had a 540mb HDD). The biggest downside was Quake 1 being so painfully slow at 320x200.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I am really fond of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun pump animation and this really pleases me as shotgun lover. Quake 2's SSG pump and chunk sound is another favourite.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For some reason since the last update the game became unplayable for me. Tried updating my nvidia drivers but for some reason I can't move the mouse on the menus (I have to use the keyboard) and fps are under 30. Validating the files didn't work too. Any ideas?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mr E posted:

What exactly is Vulkan? Is it another rendering engine like DirectX/OpenGL? I haven't seen rendering options in a game since about Half-Life 2 so I'm not sure.

I ask the same since most games never allow for different renderers. HL2, UT 2k4 and so were the most recent examples I remember that let me choose.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Soooo I own a Nvidia 760 with 2GB VRAM, Vulkan won't even show as an option for me and since the last patch the game plays under 15fps for no reason at all (yes, I updated my drivers for vulkan support and yes, I had 15fps with the same drivers that previously gave me stable 50-60 fps before the big Doom Patch). I can't play the game at all right now unless I play an unpatched version wich, the way Steam works is not possible. At least I beat the game the first weekend and played a lot before the update, my only hope is that they unfuck something soon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

victrix posted:

*Vulkan is not currently supported on NVIDIA GPUs with 2 GB of RAM on Windows 7 or on the GTX 690. Users with these GPUs need to run DOOM on the OpenGL graphics API.

:rip:

I'm on Windows 10 and after looking around, it shows under Advanced Settings, but it doesn't play any better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone having fps issues since the big update or with Vulkan, try disabling Steam overlay. The game went from unplayable to solid 70-80fps when I had 40-50 before. i7 2600k, 8Gb RAM and a 760ti with 2Gb VRAM and Win10.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

They explicitly said that it was a problem for Nvidia cards with 2 GB VRAM, so it wasn't clear that the same would be true for AMD cards.

2Gb AND Windows 7, if you are on Windows 10 it'll work like on my computer.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MysteriousStranger posted:

2gb and Windows 7 = it won't work at all.

That's what I said by the way.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doom would be like the only game that I really want to play with VR stuff. Double jumping through a cacodemon because I just blasted it with the gaus cannon and blast more poo poo with the sshotgun before hitting the ground has to be even more amazing that way.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's really good in the specific case where you have the rune that gives you infinite ammo if you have a certain amount of armor, as well as the mastery that stops the barrels from overheating. Grab a quad damage and shred the entire room.

Then you can just use the heavy AR with infinite rockets and just press the fire button and keep jumping without needing to aim because :hellyeah:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Any word on a download for people that like to listen it on proper mp3 files? I want to buy but I don't like Play Music (or stream it).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In EU, you know, that zone without Trump, we barely get surveys because looks like we aren't google's target market (just kidding). I got a single survey in the past three months wich is kind of lovely.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

jonathan posted:

I'm in Canada and there was a time that I didn't get a single survey for well over a year. And then through the summer I was getting a few per week. They're triggered by places you go, so if I go to Walmart or something it will pop a survey up within a day. This also means you need location services turned on.

I have location services running as my phone has good battery life and hell, I use google maps a lot. I guess that I'll have to wait even more to get a few google bux.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

meatsaw posted:

Is that imp at :24 trying to hide?

Yes, some monsters will try to hide if you are murdering them without even getting touched. I've seen imps running off me when I was using the turret mode of the minigun or doing that berserker killing spree.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

I've always said that Shadow Warrior is Duke Nukem with all the sexism replaced with racism.

That was true with Shadow Warrior 1997. With 2013 and SW2 is just dumb humor wich happen to be funny this time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AirRaid posted:

The only thing wrong with that picture is owning Doom 3 BFG. What's dumb terrible version of the game that was.

No Rest for the Living comes with a free copy of Doom 3 BFG. That all what matters to be honest.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody who rips and tears without the Launch Into Glory Kills From Farther Away + Fast Glory Kills runes is doing it wrong.

These two and the air control rune are my favourite. Sometimes I swap the glory kill range for the armor drop one when things get hairy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Odddzy posted:

I worked on this one :

Do you have one with just the cyberdemon? It can be a really cool phone wallpaper :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I uninstalled the game from my ssd to make room (250gb ssd) because it's becoming too big. I hope they make like some games that after patch support they redo it so it uses less space because 70gb is becoming too crazy when a game like Battlefield 4 with shitloads of mp maps, a campaign and more poo poo, was 64gb and that was crazy enough.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's the same app in a different "mode" (think mod folders in Quake). There's even an unused "mods" mode that will likely never get used, ever.

There's hope since they bothered adding mod support for Skyrim SE on consoles. Who knows if they will add it when they stop adding new content for MP and snapmap, maybe someone can make a reverse of D4D! :shepface:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Both the Olivia/Hayden scenes could have been vastly, and easily-improved by allowing the player to demonstrate Doomguy's violent contempt for everyone. Give the player the opportunity to smash up the safety glass and slowly wrench the door open as Olivia did her reactor-thing. Let the player shoot-up and dismantle Hayden in his office, only to have a side-closet open up to reveal another robot body admonishing you for rudely interrupting his monologue. Then wreck up his office.

Hell, that's an amazing idea. It doesn't change anything but Hayden could see how brutal is doomguy and laugh about it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

anatomi posted:

Except the Elder Scrolls are first-person and free form. Arkane would probably do a decent job at improving the gameplay and they're already part of the Bethesda family.

Arkane also made Kickin' simulator wich was drat fun if you try random stuff with the physics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7T9tJiw6AU

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 15, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Backhand posted:

Ah man, Dark Messiah. It was pretty objectively a Bad Game, but somehow fun anyway. The things it did right, it did REALLY right.

Hey, I got it on release because I wanted first person melee and got a lot of value. The plot is awful, characters are uninsteresting but the combat was fantastic and multiplayer was really fun. There are a couple of levels that are really sandboxy and let you do silly stuff with the spikes, ice spells and kick that a lot of games nowaday don't even bother trying.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If I learned something about being hyped about videogames is that you can be optimistic about an upcoming release, hyped? maybe but never, never throw poo poo on a game before even playing it. Hell, I was really hyped for Duke Nukem Forever and you all know how it went. I still had fun with it but wasn't even a third of what I spected.

I remember about Shadow Warrior 2013 where people were just throwing poo poo at it because the old one was just racist and turned out to be a great game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

System Shock and its sequel were good and are classics. I'd say that the only thing is suffers from is being a part of time when controls and things that are FPS standards today were still in their infancy. If the same game was made with doom/quake controls I don't think people would question how good of game it is.

The new System Shock remake streamlines controls to modern standards and feels way better on that regard.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Perfectly summarizing what I love about the game.

In this game YOU are the nightmare of all hell things. YOU are the thing that scare demons. John Constantine would be proud :shepface:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So while I fix my computer (my motherboard is dying and somethimes can't even boot), got an impulse and got the PS4 preorder version for 20€, used all my GAME remaining credit (15€) so now I'm replaying the game on PS4 and while I miss M+KB, the game is so loving great and runs drat smooth that I'm starting from scratch.

I'm using the tactical layout to have always jump available (L1) while moving and aiming, what are you console players using?

Vertical and horizontal sensitivity to 45, look smoothing 0 (because I don't even know what's this for on a console).

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If they released an expasion like Wolfenstein The Old Blood for 20€ I'd buy it on release. They could also patch snapmap to be able to make SP campaigns so the community could make some mappacks.