Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The big red cacodemons aren't brown.

And please stop referring to one button execution moves as QTE's

I think this game will be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Id Hasn't been in good shape since John Romero left. John Carmack and John Romero were a good team intill they got too big for each other. John Carmack making very good streamline games quake 3, doom 3. John Romero making wide random jumps that end badly, daikatana. If the divide didn't happen I think Carmack would of stopped Romero take those retarded risks and they could of made better games than what followed.

I think they complemented each other in making the first games that are agreed to be good doom, wolfenstein, quake.

Rage was a pretty bad borderlands game.

Rage was good when you were actually shooting stuff. Shame that was only about 10 minutes of the game.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

They aren't really pushing Retard 4 to be honest. After the horrible reaction to each video I think they are just throwing Retard 4 to the wolves

Lol The games going to sell millions and Bethesda does not give the slightest gently caress what a bunch of shut in hyper-nerds on a dead forum thinks about them or their products

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

You are delusional lol

no you

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Black Baby Goku posted:

Doom 1 and 2 are good games. This game (Retard 4) however looks like modern shooter garbage. Slow, QTES, pay to win multiplayer lol, piss filters, it's bad bad bad.

yeah none of that matters. it's a doom game released by bethesda, all they have to do is show up to the party and there will be people lining up around the block for it. sorry about your tenuous grasp on reality

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well it doesn't have any of my interest (someone who doesn't give a poo poo about Doom) and it's alienated people who actually for some reason do give a poo poo about Doom by not being Doom-y enough. So who precisely is the demographic here? Looks like yet another modern remake of a lovely nostalgia series that doesn't pay attention to why people like the original game. I predict middling sales.

kids durr

my teenage girls and all their friends are super hyped for it. I don't think any of them have ever played a doom game before

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Prav posted:

you should have them play good games, like Doom, instead of bad games, like this

but you're probably right that the demographic for this game is people that haven't played Doom

I've thought about it actually, but I'm worried they'd think it's dumb old gay stuff for dumb old gay men, and I don't know if I could look them in the eye after that.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

(I played a tiny amount of Doom 3 and either didn't see or didn't notice whatever you're talking about)

When you looked at a computer screen your crosshair would turn into a mouse cursor and you'd use them similar to an actual computer.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Doom good. I've played the absolute hell out of it, and I still want more.

And I noticed a distressing lack of monsters in most of the snap maps I've played, so I made one with lots of monsters:

3RH3RJZ9

It's probably terrible.

I downloaded Doom Builder, so I'm going to go be terrible in that now.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I've hardly done any snap map stuff so maybe more maps take this into account, but I got the impression enemies can die faster in snap map? For example even compared to plain old Hurt Me Plenty single player, it felt likt Pinkies died way faster in the few maps I played. So I didn't really have time to notice things like better enemy tracking which would probably kill you in more robust maps.

Can anyone chime in on if that is an effect of Snapmap taking place in the Multiplayer Universe? If Monsters start with less health than default and need to be manually scaled up? Or what?

In the dozen or so hours I spent testing my map I noticed this too. Pinkies seem to consistently drop to a single nice solid ssg blap to the face. It also seemed easier to one shot imps with the combat shotgun. Strangely though possessed soldiers and hellrazers appeared to have the same health.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a way to get rid of hit damage numbers when playing Snapmap maps?

That's something the person that made it has to set as far as I know.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

The damage modelling on many of the creatures is surprisingly detailed considering the pace of the game, and the animations are superb all round.

I remember capping off one particularly hard battle by opening up the mobile turret chaingun and completely unloading it on a Possessed until it ran out of ammo, and what remained of it was barely recognisable. Incredibly satisfying.

I noticed one of the more messy shotgun kill animations is almost frame for frame from Brutal Doom. I know imps do it, but it's the one were they going spinning through the air sideways while there limbs fly off.

AirRaid posted:

There are also 3 different types of Imp in SnapMap. If you add a Custom Group Encounter you can add normal Imps, Horde Imps and Seige Imps. Horde will rush you without firing fireballs, and Seige will hang back and fireball you from range.

I could never get horde imps to work. I wanted to have a bit were the player was walking down some stairs and some imps would rush up at them from the other room, but they wouldn't spawn. I switched it back to regular imps and it worked sort of fine. I ended ditching for the idea most part, because for some reason I couldn't figure out they would just stand there a good deal of the time.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Pages ago, but snapmap pinkies don't have the reinforced front shell covering their faces. The entire demon is a weak spot. I don't know why.

Snapmap really needs some tweaks to get it level with the single player again, the engine uses the multiplayer iteration where it really ought to be the single player version instead.

Yeah, there do seem to be a lot of little things like that. It's a little confusing if you're switching between the snapmap and single player. The interact buttons being different on the PS4 is especially annoying because the interact button in snapmap is the button for the BFG in single player, so I end up threatening a lot of doors with great green death in single player now.

Here's a video of me running through my map kind of poorly and if you look closely you can see a lot of the behaviors that have been mentioned. Including an imp leading me by a fair ways, and the weak nut shield guys that I dance around for awhile before I remembered I could just blast them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP39zXeR0pE

maev posted:

So like, what's the Doom guy's *~canonical~* strength level? Is the experience of the Slayer dude who writes the testaments one of a Doom guy with constant Berzerk and invulnerability? Otherwise maybe they should stop sending predictable waves of 10-20 Demons when they have multiple dimensions of Demon legions?

Important questions.

I'm pretty sure nuts.wad is canon now.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 24, 2016

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

Tried setting their spawn behaviour to "hunt"? They'll track the player from a distance then.

Yeah, I tried it with invisible enemies and they would just stand there. I'm sure there was something I did wrong, but I couldn't figure out what. I was hoping there was a way for you to have an enemy spawn in then apply parameters to it like 'health 150', 'hunt', 'go here',but I couldn't figure out how to get that work either. Most of the time they wouldn't even listen to the go here bit. I was starting to get a lot of weird bugs towards the end so they may all be connected. In the purple room for example a good 1/4 of the time the lockdown enemies would spawn in one at a time for no discernible reason.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Okay so I'm fiddling with SnapMap and got a couple questions;

How do you get a Group Encounter Spawner to spawn only once, it keeps spawning enemies constantly

How do you change which weapon you spawn with?

The easiest way I found is set the activator to a player entering a volume and have the volume delete itself on touch.

There's a settings deal I can't remember the name of, but it should be under the same section as player spawns that will set your starter weapons and how glory kills work and such, make sure you attach it to something so know it knows when to activate. Easiest thing is just to tie it to the player spawn.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

To get away from this silly argument, I finished my first SnapMap level(or at least in a state that's finished enough to be worth sharing), and could use some constructive criticism and advice about it(do keep in mind I've only been screwing around with SnapMap for a couple hours at this point)

Level Tag: 7ELHV4QB

In case that tag doesn't work it should be findable by searching for the custom tag; # goon doom

I ran through it, and there's some really fun ideas there. These are just some general thoughts I had while playing it. I liked the first fight with the progression of enemies spawning. I'd maybe put them on a timer and arrange them in a circle so it's a little faster and you have the player spinning around wondering where there going to be next. The arenas have a lot of potential, I especially liked the stacks of boxes in the room with the Pinky and Revenant. If you're not planning on adding anything after the red key you may want to stick a teleporter or some other quick way to get back to the stairwell.

These are just some general things I've learned: Play the absolute crap out it. I don't mean the whole map all the time, be sure to set yourself up shortcuts and everything so you can run through the same section a bunch of times. And remember to double check that you removed them before you finalize it. You'll learn all lot of stuff that way from big things like that fights a little long or to easy, plus how the enemies will spawn with lockdowns because that can vary a surprising amount from one play through to the next. Down to little things like if I move that barrel a foot to the left this would feel smoother, this music I chose doesn't really fit, or that light isn't quite the right shade of color.

Sometimes lots of small things can be more fun than one big thing. Not always but sometimes. For example instead of putting down a 25 point shield think about placing five 5 point shards this had a double effect of being a band aid for those little oopsies, and just plain being fun to run through. You can also use these little bits a bread crumbs to point things out. This works with enemies as well. You can use small easier fights to get warmed up for a big fight or even to cool down from one. Going from big fight to big fight is exhausting, but at the same time your going to be amped up and hell yeah because you just kicked a bunch of rear end and going from 100 to 0 can be sort of jarring. By putting a little fight soon after it gives you a chance to keep that feeling just a little bit while your brain is winding down and I think it's a smoother transition. And sometimes it's just fun to smack the little guys around for a minute.

Finally, you can't be to obvious with the important things. You may think the technicolor spotlights and half dozen dancing mancubi blasting dubstep around that object maybe a bit much, but if you need that thing for the rest of the map to work, then there's no reason not to make it as obvious as possible. Unless of course the entire point is that said thing isn't obvious.

Tony Montana posted:

You have an avatar of what looks like a closeup of a woman in a period dress.

I have an avatar of a guy pulling air on a bike.

You can all decide which side of this you want to be on.

My guy is Captain Freedom and he says get swole and kick demon rear end. Also the demon invasion was a false flag carried out by a corrupt shadow government in a nefarious attempt at mass mind control to cover up the real alien invasion of their secret bases inside the hollow center of the earth.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Q-sixtysix posted:

Is there a trick to this final boss because I'm not doing so hot

I got through it pretty easy by stunning it with the BFG then hitting it with a couple of siege shots from the gauss, rinse repeat.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

Didn't see this posted, someone made a spectrogram of the track Cyberdemon, and this is what they found:

:chanpop:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Ineptitude posted:

The previous FPS i played was Bulletstorm which was loads of fun. In the Half Life era i played like all the FPSes, with Half Life 2 being the last one i played before Bulletstorm (and now Doom)

I just got the heavy machine gun which made Doom a lot more fun though, it feels really great to use. Using the shotgun just makes me miss the Doom 2 double barreled shotty.

There's a double barrel in new Doom, and it's drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

You'll be glad to know the Official Doom novels addressed this and the doom marine chooses to convert many of the demons to Christianity by talking to them!

I remember it being much weirder than that. He tried to convert them to Christianity, but they ended up worshiping him as a prophet. Then he waged an infinite holy war through a bunch of doom mods with his demon apostles, because his soul was really trapped inside of zDoom. The stuff happening in the real world was even more bizarre.

drat, those books got strange.