Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I just like to rip and tear, guys. I don't even care if they have huge guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

New Zealand can eat me posted:

It was like they took the "Cool Skateboarding Line" concept and pushed it too far without explaining that some mechanics are required. I didn't figure out until my 2nd time around how OP leaning around corners is, turns everyone into a storm trooper

The only way I ever got this run even approaching "smooth" was by dying like at least 50 times, that's not super fun. I enjoyed it a little, I'm not sure its the right kind of challenge though https://clips.twitch.tv/HonestColorfulCamelRitzMitz

The main problem with leaning is that it's bound to LB by default, and you need LT to aim down sights. I bound it to the left bigger paddle so all I had to do was keep my my left hand squeezed to enable leaning.

Once the game has killed you so many times that cover and leaning is as second nature as ripping and tearing, everything clicks.

It absolutely shouldn't have to take you 50 deaths for it to click, though, that's a real problem on the developer's part.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There was that one guy, with the guts.

They were huge.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ProjektorBoy posted:

I know I'll probably be considered scrub-tier for this but I've been playing on Switch and holy poo poo now I understand the frenzy of this thread. It's the spirit of the original Doom with the right amount of modern flourishes layered in to make it captivating for the era.

I'm at the Kadangir Sanctum and just saw my 1st Baron. I remember a long time ago reading some magazine or official Doom documentation that read like "Big as a Dump Truck and hits just as hard!" Now those drat things finally live up to that and it's terrifying seeing 2 of those fuckers going full sprint at me.

Don't ever apologize for playing DOOM. Don't you dare.

Also, caring about platforms is analogous to racism in America, for the following reasons

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AnEdgelord posted:

The only reason I even care about platforms is that I think KB+M is the better control scheme but playing on a controller is still fine just because the game is so well designed it can work with both control schemes.

One control scheme has been around longer, yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GutBomb posted:

gently caress bees

My friend, I think you're greatly underestimating the importance of bees.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good video. :rock:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What happened?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That one guy...

He's huge. He... must have huge... guts...

Gotta... gotta do something about that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

Doom '16's tone was near perfect. Anyone who flips out about the tiny bit of well written exposition in the game should stick to WADS because they're never going to be pleased by anything modern.

Pomp posted:

Doomguy is mad because the demons made him watch a cutscene

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Broforce did everything Duke had in a much better, self aware way. The only way to do a Duke game these days is to have him as a washed up way-beyond-his-prime old fart desperately throwing catchphrases around that are a decade beyond their expiration date while everyone other npc rolls his eyes at him. If Doom in 2016 can lean fully into the ridiculous Doom Marine persona of being a frightening force of ripping and tearing nature among demons then Duke's only way is to face the elephant in the room head-on and own it up.

You're basically describing Matt Hazard from Eat Lead, a good game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

This looks like what would happen if you made me play with a controller.

Maybe you should invest a little (lot) more time with controllers, they're a learned skill just like any other control type, like riding a bike, swimming, driving, various ball sports, parkour, or mouse and keys.

Like the guy in the video should have, if he's gonna be a video game journalist.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Well yes, obviously. I play with keyboard/mouse though, so if someone made me FPS with a controller it'd look like that. Probably someone who'd grown up on console games would look like an epileptic if they tried to FPS with a mouse.

Weirdly, I don't. You can be good at both. So can you, but not overnight.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

Doomguy likes One Punch Man

If he likes anime at all and doesn't just shove it away disgustedly as he rightfully should, he likes One Punch Man.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
All this talk makes me wanna try the original Quake. Cthulupunk sounds neat.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

Lovecraft was not just racist, he was xenophobic in the actually-a-phobia sense. Race warfare and the usurping of long-standing culture is the basic allegory for a lot of his stories if you read them with the man himself in mind. He was frightened of the civilized world (comparatively at the time) losing sight of what had brought it to that point in favor of new culture erasing old culture and what those people stood for, and obviously different ethnicities bring different cultures to the table as they gain ground in a growing society and he was very much disturbed by that.

edit: And that's not me putting words in his mouth, that's where they came from in the first place:

Is... is this how we got Trump? :ohdear:

And then Son of Thunderbeast was a zombie.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hah! Reading it again, this codex entry even foreshadows the tethering device! (bolded)

gently caress, the writing in this game is so goddamn good. I don't know how, or why it ended up that way, but I'm so happy about it. Even now I'm finding new things.

No, it's bad, remembering, listening, and/or reading is bad, and here are my terrible reasons for saying this.

Firstly,

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Doom isn't so much a walking simulator as it is a grunting at walls simulator with a side of demon murder.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Well now i want a Mick Gordon version of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBQIx5jiTsg

he would totally be the music nerd to have fun hiding a chord progression reference somewhere in there too

This is the best version of John Stalvern.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Former Human posted:

If Nazis were so evil, how come Doomguy doesn't find any in Hell when he visits? :smug:

Hell is on Earth, where there are Nazis. I've played Doom 2, and soon, Doom Eternal.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

what im seeing here is somebody complaining about slamming their dick in a window repeatedly while ignoring the door

:same:

Zaphod42 posted:

You fight different things and if they're hard you look around for other things, and then you compare the different paths you've found and pick the easiest one to try first. Isn't that logical?

If you're given options A, B and C you try each and then you do the one that you think you can accomplish. If you've only seen A, you look around to make sure there isn't a B, or a C, or maybe even a D. Maybe there's just 2 options, maybe there aren't any. But you have to look around first to see if they exist, you don't assume they don't because the game already showed you that you sometimes need to do that.

This is great advice for all video games, really.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dewgy posted:

The Steam version isn’t macOS native but you can force the download and open the WADs in GZDoom or something similar.

You can also mess around with Wine if you can't get it to go with Steam.

You can do it for any old game you have the disks and the ability to read, too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Levitate posted:

DO4M and DO5M both suck because I don't have a PC that can play them, goddammit

There's this thing called an Xbox...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

What was the manga importation situation like in 1992?

Ground zero for the current anime shitstorm.

Dragon, dragon, ball dragon. Dragon Ball Z.
Dragon, dragon, ball dragon. Come with me.
*wicked guitar solo designed to trick you into watching anime*

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, there are definitely two Doom 3 guys you play as.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Technowolf posted:

Is this really only going to be on Bethesda's lovely Steam knockoff and not on actual Steam?

You're forgetting the Microsoft and Sony storefronts, I think.

For your hubris, it shall only be on the Bethesda storefront on PCs.

Everyone, feel free to thank him, I'm just going to step out for a while...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

olives black posted:

My fellow console peasants: are you pre-ordering through Gamestop or the Playstation store? I feel like doing the former because I still really like having physical discs.

Xbox store. I've been digital-only for at least 15 years.

If they ever revoke my permissions (lol they won't) for any of my games I'll just find them through :filez:

It won't happen though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

Secondhand no-audio footage from MAP01 of Doom Eternal. I was correct that the overseas locations would be poorly managed and people would end up recording footage they weren't supposed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRCD5rGNdM

That video is private.

Whatever, I'm gonna see it in two months anyway.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Does the game ever explain the time skip or why we start in media res? I can handle being confused by the gllossing over of the cliffhanger if it's explained eventually.

EDIT:

Zaphod42 posted:

Is dark souls story a "gaping hole" ?

Not having everything spelled out means you get to use your brain and piece things together and go "a-ha!"

It pains me that so many people are dismissive of the detailed codex and an alternative, smarter storytelling method. It pains me that so many need EVERYTHING explained and spelled out in neon letters lest there be ambiguity or room for interpretation.

Are my answers in the codex eventually? That's fine, as long as they don't completely ignore the cliffhanger.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

So far in eternal I feel like I'm playing some 15 year old kids spawn fanfiction.

Hello, yes, this is Doom. It was always this.

Krowley posted:

The plot is dumb as gently caress and i love it

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Krowley posted:

True, it's almost as bad as uninverted controls on an analog stick.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I played on PS4 and I felt I needed like just one extra button for weapon switch so I could do it without taking my thumbs off the joysticks.

Or the ability to press in R3 to bring up the wheel for a split second so I could use the right analog to select. I tried to get that working but it would always default to left stick to select.

Anyway, hell of a game. I loved it.

Isn't there an ad-on for PS4 controllers so you can get paddles like an Xbox One Elite one?

Dirk the Average posted:

I struggled with them at first just because the way the game introduces them to you, it implies that you need to keep them at a very specific distance, and that if you see them shooting at you, then you've screwed up. If you play that way, they are incredibly frustrating, since you feel like your movement is very restricted, and the marauder's movement makes you reposition in suboptimal ways.

Once you realize that the tooltip was absolutely lying to you and that you have a hell of a lot more freedom when dealing with them, then they're actually super fun to play against.

This guy gets it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

toasterwarrior posted:

your theoretical doom 2016 dlcs would have just expanded on the current night sentinel stuff because it was always there and so was the maykr poo poo because the creative direction was always headed this way and you'd still be whining about how dumb it is, hth

Yuuuuuuup.

Embrace the stupidity.

Rip and tear.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

I like Doom 2016 and I like Doom Eternal more. Glad to see some single player stuff for it because I dug the storyline of all of it. It’s the right amount goofy over the top metal-album-cover nonsense I come to the games for.

It's either goofy or grimdark with DOOM, and I thought everyone was over grimdark these days. DOOM 2016 is goofy, Doomguy is a big nerd that hates exposition. But you can't run that poo poo into the ground, it loses something.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

:getin:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude this is awfulawesome news

MS owns ID

ftfy

It'll be fine.

The best part, though? The tears.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the cardboard cosplay and Beer Gut Redneck skins!

On the one hand it's too bad the enemy skins don't work in single player, but on the OTHER hand, at least I don't have to play Battlemode to unlock them all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I like Mick Gordon, but I also really like metal, so... imma sit this one out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, this thread sure is what I expected it to be, so I guess that means the expansion will be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Yes, this is from Hell.