Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
DOOM ETERNAL (The 5th Doom Game)

ETERNAL DOOM, DOOM THAT IS ETERNAL, FOREVER DOOM ETERNITY x1000
OUT NOW

Destructible Enemies!! :eyepop:

All the fast-paced shooter goodness of Doom 2016, but now with MORE everything, more enemies, more levels, more variety.
They put a fuckin' grappling hook on a shotgun so you can zip around the map pulling yourself from enemy to enemy.

TIPS
==========

Disable the steam overlay FPS counter, or the steam overlay entirely. Seems to cause some FPS issues for lots of people.

The fast travel option is granted towards the end of each level, you get a small popup that's easy to miss. If you replay the level later on, you will not still have access to fast travel, and will have to clear the level again to get it back.

Platforming tips: When you jump off a wall, if you look up, you will have much more trajectory coming off the wall and make it easier to reach across gaps than if you're looking straight or down. Also, when you approach a wall, if you mash the grab button (I think default is E but I rebound everything) you will magnetically zoom over to the wall even if you were going to miss the jump. You can do this before the prompt to grab the wall shows up.

Doom Eternal adds a lot and the game feels a bit more difficult as a result. Strongly recommend you play on Hurt me plenty first; you can always adjust the difficulty later on.

Doom Eternal changes the combat mechanics from Doom 2016 a bit, and you will have a much better time ripping and tearing if you adjust to the new combat style:

Glory Kills grant Health
Chainsaw Kills grant Ammo
Flamethrower Kills grant Armor

Glory Kills can be done just like in 2016, when enemies are low on health. Chainsaw in this game constantly regenerates to 1 pip. You need to build a rhythm of using the chainsaw whenever it is available, or else you will have ammo problems. But regular use of the chainsaw will mean you have nearly unlimited ammo. Similarly, mixing in regular glory kills and flamethrower burns will keep you topped off with health and ammo, but forgetting to do so for awhile because you're surrounded and focused on killing big demons will mean you'll get whittled down and killed.

In addition, many enemies have weak points or weapon weaknesses which allow you to kill them faster if taken advantage of. You'll get codex entries on each enemy as you encounter them which lists these, so I won't spoil the enemy roster here.

Alternatively, turn down the difficulty or activate a bunch of in-game cheats (find the floppy disks) and just blast demons as you like

Zaphod42 posted:

The UI color changes are super nice. "Demon" is straight up hotline miami, look at the health bars. Its not just that things are neon pink / cyan / orange, but they even did color gradients in the bars!!!

The other schemes to compare:

Not pictured: "Amber" which is all amber

Look at how it changes the menus

Twitch Prime has a promotion with Doom Eternal for bonus skins, the first is a Unicorn outfit for Doomguy

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/doometernal

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I see they understand what makes Doom tick.

Yeah in all honesty that's one of the things I'm actually excited for. The most recent trailer showed a lot of really wild, hellish environments. I've been dying for some surrealistic spaces to fight in like that for awhile. Too many games now are just going for super realism of familiar spaces, COD shooters where you're having a battle in a neighborhood or a McDonalds, which is cool in its own way... but I wanna see something really abstract. Some crazy hellscapes like out of a Beksiński painting.

Brutal Legend was a flawed game, but one of the best things it did was the look of the environment. They set out to make the game feel like a heavy metal album cover, and that was awesome.

The other thing making me interested for this is the SnapMap, which looks like it can hold its own with Halo's Forge, even the latest Halo 5 Forge which is really complex. I really love being able to mod games and make my own content, and super easy GUI editors like that make it a breeze and guarantee you're going to have tons of custom content.

Then I saw there was a horde survival mode... poo poo. I may buy this just to play Doom Firefight, even if the campaign isn't very good.

Although between firefight mode, having a forge editor, and hiring Certain Affinity to make multiplayer maps, Doom sure is copying Halo's playbook here. Not that I have a problem with that, and since Id is in shambles, Bethesda's gotta find some way to finish this thing and push it out.

The look and feel of it reminds me of Bulletstorm in a good way.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 9, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm optimistic for it. Carmack himself attributed Doom's success to three key factors: Graphical prowess, multiplayer capability, and flexible modding. Neo-id seems to understand this, and everything we've seen in Doom 2016 is extending the success of the original Doom in these facets.

I'm not hype as gently caress but I'm interested and excited.

Didn't Carmack also say that Doom was about 2 things, "Demons and shotguns" ?

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm not super hyped or anything and if this is a wet fart I'll just laugh at it as it passes and move along, but I do find myself being more open to the possibility that it'll be fun than I was all last year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What they should do, is bite the bullet and make it absolutely nuts like Brutal Doom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc

Right now it's in this weird area of sluggish and slow. Doom was all about the crazy and not quicktime chainsaw kills.

The QTE kills are one of my biggest turn-offs of the game right now.

However, if you watch the video where they talk about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8qfIY4RqWs they're at least thinking about it in the right way.

Most of them are pretty short and quick, there's multiple per monster based on like where you're facing or looking at the monster so you won't see the same animation repeat over and over, and it sounds like some of them can be early-cancelled.

They describe it like being a kung fu action movie star like Jackie Chan, where you're moving around real fast, kick this guy, punch this guy, shoot this guy, and then keep running. That's good. "we have very strict time limits on how long they can last."

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 9, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Same thing. Also for the record, id software was acquired not folded, so we can still say this is from id software. It'd be like saying Kojima Productions' next game is by Sony otherwise.

Wrong.

Id software was acquired a long time ago. They were still Id software at that point. The folding is something far worse that happened later when Carmack left.

They were aquired in 2009. Carmack didn't leave until 2013 to go work on VR. Very different.

Id in 2009 was still Id. In 2014 though they were gone.

Its more like saying Konami's next game is ... non existent. And that's the case. Kojima left, and Konami may as well not make games anymore.

Carmack left, and Id may as well not exist anymore.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 9, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

You know how years ago when we moved into another gen people were making jokes about how a bunch of games seemed to think "good graphics=everything is brown"? I feel like this game looked at that and thought it was a good idea. Its amazing how this game manages to look uglier than its 20 year old predecessor just because the art direction is atrocious.

I mean they even made loving cacodemons brown.

Two things on this.

One, you're totally right. Somebody on the internet did a quick filter on one of the first screenshots to show how dramatic this was, and I much prefer it the old school colorful way

versus

Buuuuuut those screenshots are from like a year ago.

Two, you're not entirely right. Thing is, the environments actually vary a lot in their lighting. There's lots of real-time lighting in Id Tech 6. If you look at screenshots its easy to get a bad impression, but if you watch all the recent trailers that I have posted in the OP, its not nearly as bad as you think from the screenshots. That and lots of people have said it looks bad and the devs may have taken that to heart in the last 6 months and made some changes.

If you watch the most recent 'campaign trailer' from 2 days ago, it actually looks pretty drat colorful to me.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybo30QlSk64 looots more color. Cacos are red, pinkies are pink, some areas are more brown but each area has tons of environmental lighting, lava, metal, rock, etc. Overall the palette isn't far from classic doom at all.

And I gotta say again, those environments look really cool. Seeing the outside areas, it looks pretty loving metal.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 9, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I can understand the color palette criticisms if you look at the first screenshot I posted there, and if that was your only impression of the game. I had mostly written it off last year after seeing those kinds of images.

But the trailers they've been putting out recently really convinced me that there's more to this.

I mean some of those environments look really loving rad. Like Dark Souls levels almost. They probably won't have nearly that level of attention to detail, but whatever. As long as its not another loving military base or somebody's house or something. I want poo poo to be as surreal and wild and chaotic as possible.

Take me to hell!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I mean hell, one of the zones in that trailer has like pink & blue neon lighting everywhere.

Another area has a bright green sky.

They're definitely doing a lot of variety. There's a brown area and there's a lava area where everything's red, but there's lots of other color too.

A little brown isn't so bad. Its when the entire game is brown vs black like Resistance: Fall of man, that's when its a huge problem.

Its not TF2 colorful, but it shouldn't be. Its DOOM. But its not super grimdark brown vs black either, there's definitely color.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I know none of the founders are there, but we can still refer to the team called id software as id software right? Their logo is on it etc. And I had heard a lot of people from Doom 3 were still on this? Maybe in the credits there will even be some guy from the Quake 2 team or something.

I know it's not "id classic", but I'd want to know a bit more about specifically who's there and whatnot before I'd say they may as well not exist anymore. Was there a mass exodus or something? I hadn't heard about that happening.

All the "masters of doom" other than Carmack have been long long long gone. Romero, Tom Hall, Sandy Petersen, American McGee, all the big-name Doom guys.

It was Carmack holding the studio together with his techno wizardry, and then a bunch of rotating new hires who worked on things like Doom 3, Wolfenstein (Blue Version), Rage, etc.

Which is why games like Rage don't seem to have great design or very coherent vision. But Carmack was such a wizard the games still did okay on their technical prowess.

Its not really uncommon for game studios to rotate out positions after a few years, you burn out working on the same project or you change your mind about what you want to do or whatever. I doubt there's many people left at Id who have been there long (in major dev positions anyways) and those few probably won't guarantee anything stays the same.

I thought I read an article about a mass exodus from Id after Carmack left, but I can't find anything now. But still it isn't really required.

If you wanna say that its "still Id software" you can go ahead, and you're technically right. But myself that's how I feel, its a whole other team now. Like Guns and Roses trying to call themselves GNR even though they only have Axl. What if Axl left? That'd finally be the end. :cheeky:

Also friendly reminder,
This is what the original Doom 4 looked like:

It was basically Call of Duty and looked terrible. Hopefully DOOM proves to be better than Doom 4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Id Hasn't been in good shape since John Romero left. John Carmack and John Romero were a good team intill they got too big for each other. John Carmack making very good streamline games quake 3, doom 3. John Romero making wide random jumps that end badly, daikatana.

I think they complemented each other in making the first games that are agreed to be good doom, wolfenstein, quake.

Rage was a pretty bad borderlands game.

Yeah, but if you read into masters of doom and the history of Id, its pretty clear there was always trouble in paradise.

Like, neither Carmack or Romero could replicate the same magic alone, Carmack made great technical games with poor design, Romero made games with waaaaay too much design that collapsed under their own weight.

But even when they were together, they were constantly fighting. Quake was kinda good in spite of their working together, not because of it. Romero had tons of plans for Quake that got gutted and they ended up just pushing out something that was more like Doom than different from it. That's why Romero left in the first place, he was mad about Quake in the end not having anything to do with the game he wanted it to be. The original idea for Quake was based on some D&D campaign they were playing, where "Quake" was the name of the villain taking over the world (never actually ended up in the game for which he's named). Hell even Doom, the original "Doom Bible" had all kinds of designs that Romero came up with that didn't make it into the game, like having a whole squad of troopers and beginning the game with marines playing poker.

Romero was needed because he has tons of crazy ideas, and without him Id became boring and predictable. But Romero himself is like George Lucas in that he really needs an editor to put his foot down and say "okay, that's too much, we can't do that."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Game looks slow and corridory

Have you seen the most recent trailers? It actually shows off a good number of pretty big open spaces with lots of monsters in the middle, as Doom should.

The early stuff they put out last year made it look more like doom 3 than anything, but if you look at some of the other footage they've put out there's actually like, outdoor areas and stuff. More variety than you'd think. And plenty of Doom 1 was corridors anyways, the real important question is how linear the level design is. Is there any backtracking and such?

As for slow, its definitely not Quake 3 fast and I do wish it was. But its as fast or faster than any other recent FPS, even like Farcry Blood Dragon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Not that I necessarily have a problem with them, but the sync-kills are all completely optional, right? I hope this turns out well, but I'm wary. Some videos do look really plodding, but I've seen faster gameplay snippets too. Still, if it sucks there's always Shadow Warrior 2...

They sound optional, but there's also some kinda mechanic in the game that makes it sound like there's some incentive for performing them. They weren't totally clear on it?

If somebody can find some more information that'd be good.

It sounds like the game has some kinda "power-shield" where if you cower behind cover you become weak, so you're rewarded for running around at max speed and occasionally doing a melee-range execution instead of just shooting everything.

Again that's just my quick impression from what they said in those interview videos.

Tiggum posted:

The more recent stuff looks way better, but it's still not colourful enough. One thing that's really iconic to Doom for me is how visually distinct all the monsters are, and I don't really see that here. Other than that it does look pretty good though.

Yeah, I agree.

I dunno, the Pinky and the Cacodemons and the Mancubus all look pretty distinct to me in those videos, but the imps and zombies and skeleton / revenants are pretty samey yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I honestly didn't notice there were pinkies shown. I saw cacodemons and mancubuses, and then just a bunch of generic looking zombies/demons.

They only show one pinky briefly in the new campaign trailer they just put out, but he looks pretty good IMO.

lets compare

Doom / Doom 2

The classic

Doom 3

What the Christ?

Doom 4

Not too shabby

Especially the green eyes and blue mouth are dead on, as well as being proper red.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The pinky demon is here: https://youtu.be/ybo30QlSk64?t=30s very briefly

It looks a little goofy but so did the original design, its very very faithful. Unlike Doom 3's pinky which was like some weird Resident Evil monster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Severed posted:

I'm with you. The exclusion of co-op in a game where the story isn't important doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially considering that co-op modes are becoming a standard feature in many games. The "horde" mode might be ok to a degree, but its not the same thing.

Also, replacing a proper SDK with "snapmap" is a poor decision. Sure, there might be more low to medium quality maps from the community due to the ease of the tool, but we'll also never get rich content created by indie developers or truly original maps not made from the x amount of templates that snapmap gives you. We'll also never get a true modded-in co-op mode like Doom 3.

I like the general concept of the game, but without co-op and an SDK, it doesn't really feel like a classic id title.

To be fair though, part of why Doom custom maps are still going to this day is how easy and simple they are to create, compared to modern maps.

You look at something like Half Life 2, really good custom levels or mods are pretty few and far between. The standard of quality is really high for a mod team to put together, there's SO much work to do.

Something really next-gen like Battlefied 4, NOBODY makes custom maps for those. They're too massive, too detailed. Any attempt at a custom map would look really hideous.

So I think embracing SnapMap is actually the right decision. From what they've shown off it looks really powerful, and they're actually aware of all the custom Doom 1/2 map community and they're specifically targeting them with SnapMap, which I think is loving great.

They at least get it way better than Doom 3's designers ever did.

And did they really say there'll never be a proper SDK? I guess unless they say there's going to be one its kinda unlikely, but even if it existed I think you'd be surprised by how few people do anything with it.

How many custom mods did Doom 3 have? Very, very few. Now doom 3 was more of a horror game than a proper action doom, but the only doom 3 mods I can remember at all are the duct-tape mod for the flashlight and the classic doom mod that recreated E1 of Doom1 in Doom 3, which was cool but not especially amazing.

Keiya posted:

It's actually megatextures' fault. You basically need a AAA-budget renderfarm to do anything with the engine at all anymore.

Yeah, this is the thing. Its just not feasible for free mod teams to make content for Id Tech 6. Its too complex.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

program666 posted:

this is slightly better since it actually has rooms with monsters but holy poo poo is this slow as all hell, and it's like 5 monsters, dragon's dogma manages to have way more enemies in a given battle, have no qtes and the movement is way way faster so I guess dragon's dogma is way more of a old-school fps, sorry guys

Eh, I think you're overreacting. I love me some Dragon's Dogma but no way is it faster. You're only saying that because of differences in perspective from 1st person to 3rd person.

Doom 4 / DOOM features rooms full of imps and cacos, and you have a rocket launcher, and you can circle strafe and shoot them with your rocket launcher. That's old-school and sweet.

We'll have to see how it handles and plays, but I'm at least optimistic now.

Fereydun posted:

i wish theyd go back to stealing pantera songs instead of whatever they got in the trailers

They should just licence pantera songs now. They can afford it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A true test of SnapMap, I think, would be if one could recreate every single level from Doom 1 and 2 in it. If so, party on :toot:

Yeah I'd definitely love to remake E1M1 in SnapMap.

From what they've shown it looks pretty drat good. You can do all kinds of things.

Also if that's what you're looking for, have you played

http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3

Its doom 3 so its not like, amazing or anything, but its kinda fun and trippy to run around Doom 1 in the Doom 3 engine.

blackguy32 posted:

Timesplitters actually had some pretty complex maps for the functionality it's map editor gave you, although I would imagine that after playing a ton of them they would start to feel kind of samey. That being said, Tenchu 2 had a loving awesome map editor for a console game.

I don't know how I feel about this. I feel like if I wanted more doom action, I could simply just play Doom 1 or 2 and its many mods. I did like Doom 3 and Rage though, but those were a bit different.

I loved timesplitters, and as a kid I loved anything that let me modify the game myself.

Timesplitters maps definitely felt very same-y after awhile though. It helped that there were like 4 different tile-sets that looked pretty different, but still. The premade maps were all vastly better than the custom ones, custom maps were purely interiors, mostly just hallways and the occasional "big room".

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm a massive Timesplitters fan, but I never really enjoyed many of the custom maps, because you really were limited to samey-looking blocks. In terms of console map editors for FPS games, I don't think anything has touched the original Far Cry: Instincts (Xbox). My god, it was INCREDIBLE.

Something I would have scoffed at had it not happened to me was getting tired of Forge maps in Halo Reach because of the colour palette used for all of the pieces. I mean, really... it's just a colour (or lack thereof), but godDAMN, did every single Forge map look like poo poo. Again I never would have thought it was possible to be put off from a map editor because of the look, but it happened. Everything was that dark grey steel with a bluish look, and that got tiring REALLY quickly.

Portal has a really really fantastic map editor, and whats so great is you can start a map using that, do some quick rough edits, and then pop it into Hammer and do proper map-making from there.

I don't think the portal map editor is on console though.

Yeah FarCry has seen some pretty impressive console editors.

Yeah that's definitely a problem with some map editors. Forge in Halo 5 actually is way more powerful than any previous Forge, people are doing really cool things like loving podracing maps. But even though they went further and let you color your blocks (yay!), the textures for all the blocks are just really lovely flat-shading which looks garbage even if you color it. For the life of me I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking. The textures in Halo 2 look better than the Halo 5 forge textures. Its insane.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 10, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

where's that really bad UE4 remake of Doom

This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA

:barf:

It looks like a CG clip of a fake videogame from CSI.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

program666 posted:

old doom's melee attacks are leaps and bounds better than a cutscene

I dunno dude, again I'm mostly against QTEs but old doom involved a lot of sitting in a 1-meter wide corridor holding down left mouse while your chainsaw worked its way through a line of pinky demons. Not particularly engaging.

And if you watch the video on the executions, most of them are very very fast. They did smart things like, on the mancubus, if you just do the execution and walk away it takes all of half a second. You punch the guy in the gut and then in the face, done.

Like they explain, the animation continues, the mancubus like explodes and poo poo, but you're not locked in the animation that whole time. You can walk up, punch him in the face, and then instantly forget about him and shoot other people. Meanwhile he's going through the rest of the animation on his own, but you don't care.

In that way, most of them are really "quick melee animation" + "longer death animation". OG Doom had death animations too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Doom Collector's Edition is up for pre-order at Gamespot. $120 gets you the game, a metal case, and the 12" revenant statue. Pre-ordering either the base game or the collector's edition gets you the "Exclusive Demon Multiplayer Pack:"

:gonk:

I'm assuming that there's other ways to get the hack modules but I really dislike the idea of things that give you a straight advantage like that.

Microtransactions, in Doom?

God loving damnit Bethesda :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/695734699289899008

So it sounds like they're a loadout thing, you unlock them by leveling up or playing the game or something, you're probably only allowed to equip one at a time or something, and the collectors-edtion bonus is just an early unlock, not a microtransaction.

Not nearly as bad, but still kinda pointlessly dumb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

I just want some loving vanilla DM, TDM and CTF (with some relatively plain classes old-school Team Fortress style), why is this so hard, game developers :smith:

I know! The fact that they can't help but gently caress everything up somewhat is tanking my interest.

Ddraig posted:

There hasn't been a single good Doom game since Romero left. Now that Carmack is gone, the chances are slim to none.

Romero might be the biggest douchebag in the history of video games, but he knew how to do Doom.

They shoulda just contracted Romero out for this. He probably would have been on board (what else is he doing now, some lovely free2play games?) and he could have come up with a bunch of crazy ideas that they could have then picked from and ignored the too-crazy ones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

They are. You stagger an enemy by dealing a bunch of damage to it and then you can just keep shooting til it goes down if you want, or move in and finish it off. Glory kills are contextual based on where you're aiming at on the monster's body. So if you're loking at it's head you might punch its face off, or if you're looking down at it's legs you might kick it's legs out from under it and stamp on its head. You apparently are awarded with a bit more ammo/health drops from a glory kill as opposed to a regular kill.

Right, and that "you apparently are awarded" bit is the key thing he's asking about. You just completely overlooked the main issue. Depending upon the level balance, those rewards may be expected in which case playing without using executions would make the game harder. We don't know how it'll shake out, stop acting like you're an expert on a game that isn't out yet.

AirRaid posted:

Why? Especially when,

Why would you want to make a shoddy remake of something you can go and play whenever you want already, when you could go and make something original? Marty Stratton already said you probably won't be able to recreate classic Doom levels in snapmap.

:rolleyes: oh la la, somebody's getting laid in college.

Dude do you not know E1M1? Its loving E1M1. Its THE classic doom map. Its iconic. Its one of the most played maps of all goddamned time. If you don't understand why it'd be fun to immortalize that historic map in a modern format, gently caress off.

Nobody's saying you have to make it or you have to play it, but who the gently caress are you to tell me not to do that? Seriously.

I've played versions of E1M1 in everything from Doom 3 to Unreal to minecraft.

I'll remake classic Doom 1 maps if I loving want to dude. :dealwithit:

AirRaid posted:

Also for those worried about microtransations in general - https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/695386456747962368 - A direct response from Pete Hines to the question "Is Doom going to have microtransactions?" Answer: "No."

I already posted a twitter link confirming this. We already knew it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

abraxas posted:

This magazine I somehow still have a subscription to (I know, it's insane) has a huge Doom article in the latest issue. It's an interesting read and they make the game sound really good.

The one criticism they had after playing a pre-release version for a couple of hours is that the new engine has the same problem the Rage engine had, in that when you turn around quickly the textures start popping in. I'm not sure how much T6 still has to do with all the T5 mega-texture stuff and all but I remember that being really grating and stupid in Rage.

I hope they can either fix it until release or at least make it a lot less noticable than it was in Rage.

I'm not sure, I don't think megatextures supported real-time lighting and that's definitely going on in DOOM, so IdTech6 may just not have megatextures, or maybe they found some workaround so they could have lighting on top of it.

That problem was pretty annoying on Rage, but on a good PC you only noticed it if you really whipped the mouse around 180 all the time. (On consoles I'm sure it was a disaster)

E: Found something that says DOOM does use megatextures, but it also says Wolfenstein the new order used them and I didn't notice issues with that one, so maybe they've improved its handling so that it isn't apparent.

In theory megatextures are a good thing as they let artists bake whatever crazy amount of detail they want into the level without worrying about the overall graphics budget so much, but in practice in Rage it didn't seem worth the cost.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 12, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

Well, I've been calling this game Retard 4

You posted the exact same thing on the first page and nobody cared then, stop.

Ddraig posted:

Machinegames seem to have taken over the job of making id's tech actually fun to play ever since Raven got drafted into pumping out CODs for eternity.

Maybe MG will make a new Wolfenstein with chainsaw and Nazi demons from hell.

Yeah machinegames are one of the best studios right now that seem to still understand how to do a proper FPS.

Them and Flying Hog.

Its too bad that Bulletstorm ended up wrecking People Can Fly, they were also pretty solid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

Yeah, with tons of perks, abilities, etc.

It's not inherently bad as I've enjoyed a bunch of the CoD games in the past, but these days I just want some barebones "pick up a gun and shoot another person" kind of MP from back in the day without all the other crap on top of it but maybe I'm just an angry old man yelling at a cloud in the game industry these days. :(

Yeah, in Doom or any proper arena shooter, you should all spawn on the same even-level. Always. There should never be an advantage the second you spawn because you bought microtransactions or you played the game longer or whatever. That's just wrong. Its anathema to skill-based design.

Counterstrike GO still has NONE of those things. The new Unreal Tournament doesn't either. But DOOM does? loving lame.

Awesome Welles posted:

Yeah, hard to believe people don't really want to play an inferior free-to-play version of an arena shooter with changes no one asked for or want to deal with!

(Edit: or is it not free to play anymore? I can't remember how/when they started charging for it because Quake Live doesn't appear to have been run particularly well and might not be the best example)

Everything about Quake Live was horribly mismanaged. It was free with paid support that would get you bonuses, then it went free-er? Then they wanted you to buy it on steam?
Also hilariously they hosed up Quake Live and drove everyone who was playing it away from it by doing exactly this same sort of horseshit.
They added "loadouts" to loving quake 3 so you could spawn with a rocket launcher or a lightning gun or whatever and wouldn't have to run around the map or know where guns spawn.

As you can imagine, that's really dumb. Stop trying to make Quake into Call of Duty!
If you really wanna make goddamned call of duty so bad, MAKE CALL OF DUTY. But if you're making Doom or Quake Live, make Doom or Quake Live.

So many stupid game designers (and I expect more often publishers and executives who don't know anything about game design) try to shoehorn in mechanics that work in one game into a completely different game environment assuming that more fun stuff = better, right? Wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

It was the first time it had been done, it wasnt as developed as it is now. most games use some variant of megatextures tech now, it's a super efficient way of packing textures and streaming them from disk. instead of scanning for hundreds of different files it's got one to look through which is super well indexed so it can grab only the area it needs considerably faster than loading all the tiles as separate images.

Had nothing to do with rage having pre baked lighting, they just decided to use pre baked lighting in rage because they liked how it looked. rage's texture streaming issues was because of a few decisions they made they didnt have time to iron out properly and working with super limited console ram. It's a shame people think megatextures is poo poo and at fault because it has made a big difference to that way people work with maps now.

there's a megatextures style plugin for unity available called amplify textures which we've been using - http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/
Same concept, works great. Good writeup of how it works on their site. There's another different one on its way for ue4.

MegaTexturing is used in lots of games and is technically just clipmapping for terrain / level textures, but Id tech goes further with virtual texturing which most games don't do, where you have massive textures of practically unlimited size, which runs into some more performance issues than just basic clipmapping would.

But yeah, I didn't notice any problems with wolfenstein the new order, so clearly they've worked out the kinks.

And the biggest problem was always just trying to crank that much detail into the 360's loving tiny 512MB of RAM and having to deal with disc seek times. On modern hardware even Rage runs pretty smooth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

extra stout posted:

I should probably watch that vid first to confirm, but is there going to be anyway to totally disable those animated mortal kombat finisher things? It adds absolutely nothing to the game other than being porn for hosed up people, the game is violent enough as is and I really prefer the idea of a fast paced Doom than I do a game that pauses time for me to watch a video of bones and blood in a blender or some poo poo.

I just read the post about them giving extra health, hope that's bullshit or I'm gonna send angry emails to John Carmack then he will reply explaining that he doesn't work there anymore and that he's busy solo coding an entire new VR game and building a new NASA or something

Yeah you should try watching that video or maybe reading the thread? We were just talking about this.

As far as we know there's no way to disable them and they sound rather integrated into the game's design. There could be an option at release or somebody could figure out a hack or a mod to work around it. You can always use cheat engine / RAM manipulation if you have to. But I wouldn't hold your breath on their being an option to disable it, the developers clearly believe in it and putting in such an option would be like admitting that it was a mistake. (Even though I agree that games should appeal to multiple groups of people have offer options to tailor the experience to your own preferences)

What do you mean 'hope that's bullshit', you think we're lying? Dude watch the video.

Have fun writing angry emails to Carmack though. :)

AirRaid posted:

Uneffective troll is uneffective. If you bothered to actually look at any of the media you'd find that literally everything you just said was false. I guess "bad enemy design" is subjective.

Don't even respond to him. Either ignore him or report him for thread making GBS threads. He's the worst low-effort troll in games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mentioned it before but Shadow Warrior 2 is looking dope as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxU3JXOinY
They specifically talk about foregoing canned animations in favour of keeping everything fluid, movement seems fast and empowering, and it looks like you'll have the whole run of the level to fight in, rather than the sectioned off arena areas of the first game.

Plus 70 different weapons, procedural side missions and optional 4-player co-op? God, I hope they pull it all off well.

Yeah the first shadow warrior remake was way better than expected, really visually stimulating and pretty enjoyable combat.

Focusing on co-op for the sequel is exactly what I wanted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

rest of the images: http://imgur.com/a/eI5pT

quake movement is good
2 weapons in mp is bad

Interesting. Yeah, quake movement as an option for bunny hopping is super good news. 2 weapons + special weapon in MP is dumb and bad, hopefully there's some server cvar or some alternative game mode which ignores that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Doom needs a shotgun that doesn't suck. And by that, I mean one that shoots further than a few feet with killing power.

Even in doom 1/2 the shotgun won't kill most enemies at range, maybe a couple imps sure. The whole fun of it though was sliding up next to somebody and spanking them with the shotgun at point-blank range and then ice-skating off at 500mph.

Good news is we know from the cover art that the game does have a double-barreled shotgun. Although bad news is if you can't move as fast, its inherently less good.

There was that cvar about quake style jumping and momentum though, I wonder if you could turn that on for single player and bunny hop around while you're shotgun blasting dudes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

It pleases me greatly they're going for the dumb meathead approach for the player character. Cracks me the gently caress up that he's just this heavy-handed psychopath whose sole interaction is punching or shooting roaring monsters in the face. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Running up to guys and blasting them point blank with the SSG was a decent strategy in the alpha. Might need to put a rocket in them on the approach to soften any armour they had, but it was a really heavy hitter up close.

Looks like there's far less enemies that have ranged attacks, and possibly zero enemies with hitscan attacks? If so then the slower movement speed isn't as much of a liability to the SSG because you can get into and out of melee range with less danger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

Let me just say that I work in the same office building as Id and have had contact with quite a few and pretty much everything you say is completely and utterly wrong. But it's some nice speculation.

Hey there KING human being OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM, would you care to actually explain anything in particular or any concrete detail that was wrong? Want to shed some light on the development process since you are so in the know? Nope? Just wanna drop in to say "lol ur wrong I work with Id and know more" uh okay guy, you're real cool!

I'd be surprised to hear what you think is so utterly wrong since I didn't say anything remotely controversial. All the major Doom names other than Carmack left a long time ago, that's a fact. Carmack left several years ago, that's a fact. Id games have been sloppy but have been technically impressive, that's an opinion but a pretty drat common one.

AirRaid posted:

It's been confirmed there are Possesed guys with shotguns, as well as possibly machineguns and chaingunners.

Hm, nuts. Well, it still depends upon how the fights are staged, which enemies are used where.

Could be effective then to pick off the chaingunners from range then run around SSG slapping the imps and pinkies after that. Or the SSG could still be good against chaingunners as long as they give us lots of cover when they do use chaingunners.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

I mean basically you wanted to act like you know all about the inner workings at play while actually having no clue whatsoever and it entirely being conjecture - ie. "carmack was the man with the plan and everyone else blah blah blah turnover"

You don't know anything about the actual talent that works there or some of the senior guys that have been working at id for over a decade. You don't know anything about who the actual lead designers are, or what their resume is. You don't know anything about anything really, you're just running your mouth because you read an article a couple years ago about Doom being in development hell and know Carmack left.

Even regurgitating this line of "id games have been sloppy but technically impressive" is pretty much the equivalent of some dipshit yammering off corporate buzzwords in a meeting - I doubt you can even speak to what these 'technically impressive' feats are without googling or regurgitating something someone else may have posted about shaders or w/e

Basically you're just a big loving phony

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155

Oh poo poo what?

Once again, if you know gently caress-all about Id, please share it. Saying "nuh uh you don't know anything" is loving pointless.

Also read a loving book sometime.

Ddraig posted:

my uncle works at id, ama

:lol:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 17, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Plan Z posted:

The way I read it is that John and the rest of the programmers were putting more and more time into engine-building as the tech got heavier, leaving Romero and the designers twiddling their thumbs. There were also the issues of Romero not liking stagnation and Tom Hall not being huge into violent games, but with the large dead zones in id's development, it seems like the first sentence played a much larger role than people think.

"Let me just say that I work in the same office building as Id and have had contact with quite a few and pretty much everything you say is completely and utterly wrong. But it's some nice speculation." :goonsay:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Broose posted:

I like the new enemy designs. Definitely a step up from doom 3. Except the zombie men and I guess what are the imps look almost identical from a distance and are just varying shades of light brown. Cacodemons and pinkys look rad as hell though.

Yeah the zombies look super lame and boring, but all the demonic monsters look pretty classic.

And now that bump mapping has been replaced by normal mapping, everybody won't look like they're made of plastic ala Doom 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

I'm tentatively excited, that might just be the name Doom bringing back all the 90's nostalgia though. Do like the speed of the title, but think it could be a little more brutal based on the content so far. Also they removed weapon reloads for flow of the game but I kinda liked them in Brutal Doom. Maybe that was just me.

Read an article in the latest Edge too and they had some pretty cool concept art speaking of hellscapes, such as a giant Demon skeleton/corpse reaching out of the ground and I immediately thought "I'd love to fight demons around that".

I'll probably get a bit of fun from it at the very least, I am kinda hoping that it will be a modern popular classic FPS in terms of multiplayer too, but I doubt it after the Alpha. Maybe I let my rose tinted glasses get in the way and Quakeworld isn't as fantastic as I remember.

I agree with all of this except reloading. gently caress reloading.

Bisse posted:

I have read this book twice and nothing in it backs up anything you are saying about what happened post Doom 3. There is nothing in it about Rage, the Wolfenstein game, or who worked on any of those. In fact the book ends around the end of Doom 3's development and then segues into homemade rockets and broken down cars.

I am sorry but you do in fact not know jack poo poo, neither do I, but I trust someone who claims to have any sort of connection to the dev team at all more than I do some random human being on the internet who spouts complete conjecture and can't handle being doubted or critisized.

Everything I said about Id was pre Doom3 though. Doom3 was already where Id was not the same as it used to be. All I said about post Doom 3 Id is "the same people don't work there and the games have been technically impressive but overall pretty badly designed".

I don't see what's so controversial about that.

The only thing I said about the internals of Id was about the Romero / Carmack dynamic based on the Doom days, which is straight out of Masters of Doom.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 17, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bisse posted:

"It was Carmack holding the studio together with his techno wizardry, and then a bunch of rotating new hires who worked on things like Doom 3, Wolfenstein (Blue Version), Rage, etc.

Which is why games like Rage don't seem to have great design or very coherent vision. But Carmack was such a wizard the games still did okay on their technical prowess."

How is that pre Doom 3? Are you travelling via TARDIS and mixing your timelines up?

I don't understand what your problem with those statements is. Guys like John Romero had tons of ideas, those guys left, then Id pushed out a bunch of repetitive but technically impressive FPS games.

I guess the word 'rotating' is what's bothering you so much? But its very safe to say that not everybody who worked on doom 3 still works at id there today, that's true of any game studio. There are no doubt people who worked on Rage or Wolfenstein that aren't still at Id either. Then you've got the fact that not a single person at Id has become remotely notorious the way Carmack or Romero did. Can you name a single person working at Id now? Nope. That's all I'm saying. Its not exactly insider information!

Rage is a game at-odds with itself which looked good, but even the megatexture implementation was a mess on consoles, and the game itself was very meh. "Rage was fun for the 5 minutes you spent shooting people" or "rage was the lovely borderlands" are comments I hear a lot. Saying that rage didn't have great design is not some revelation which requires insider knowledge either.

The games did sell okay though, and mostly because they're graphically impressive. Also Carmack managed to keep Id afloat selling engines for a long time, but Epic really stole that market out from under them, and then Crytek finished them off. The only people using Id Tech now are Bethesda companies.

LotsBread posted:

All I want is good first levels. None of the DOOM 3 bullshit of "Hey youre on mars lets find out what astronaut mcplumber is doing in the vents", just gimme good level architecture, impressive arcologies, kickass military bases, portal testing labs, get me straight to that meat. I want to be in hell by E2, no by the end of the game.

Agreed completely. If anything I want the game to just start off in Hell right away. I don't need a reason!

The developers did mention they didn't put much weight into the game's story because 'that's not important to doom' so hopefully they get it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was after Quake 3.

Kazvall posted:

Ok ok they haven't had a GREAT game since RtCW, but they were also only executive producers, buddy!

Yeah the single player for Return was Nerve Software and the multi was Splash Damage. Id just oversaw the project and technology, it was their brand after all.