Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just caught up on this thread, finally joined the legions. Oh my god I loving love this loving game. Played through on HMP and UV, next up is gonna be a Nightmare run and a separate Ultra Nightmare save slot for when I'm feeling especially masochistic. Also played Harvest Doom, whoever posted that way upthread. Thanks, that was fun :)

I can't get over how good DOOM is. I haven't felt like this about a shooter since the original (edit: also Quake 1 single player + modded DM). All I wanna do is RIP AND TEAR all day everyday

DOOM good

Lobok posted:

I had the plasma rifle already before going back to the level to find the rest of the secrets, but based on someone's video that I checked I'm pretty sure I picked it up again for ammo in that location.

IIRC, the hidden weapons don't count as a found secret if you pick them up for ammo, only if you hit the use button (RS for Xbox) to pick it up.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Wow, the MP is ultra dead (been sitting in a lobby for like 30 minutes and literally not one other person to be seen). Which is kind of a shame, because even though the impression I get is that it was pretty fuckin lame, and I'm not crazy about the loadouts and stuff, I did a Practice DM with bots just to see what it was like and it actually felt pretty decent to play. Not nearly as good as campaign of course but it felt like a Quake3-lite, which is great to me. Not crazy about the damage number popups, but the couple maps I played were pretty decent.

Guess I'll just have to keep playing Overwatch to get my MP fix. Slow, but fun, but still way way slower Overwatch. At least it has Junkrat :brrring:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Haven't seen a demon powerup yet, and near as I can tell the only modes are DM and Team DM. Dunno how many maps there are but you can pick from like a dozen or so

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

How much progression is hidden behind secrets in DOOM? I am not sure how well that works, missing out on multiple suit or weapon upgrades every level because i don't find ALL THE SECRETS is going to add up to a ton of unlocks before long.
Not much, don't worry. Just keep playing, you'll miss a handful of praetor tokens but nothing critical, and as long as you rip and tear like you should the game will p much shower you with weapon upgrade points

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last I checked my stats i had over 2000 kills with the double barrel shotgun. #2 was the regular shotgun at just over 200.

The double barrel is my favourite melee weapon in any game ever

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

I guess it is because you meet less enemies in DOOM but each enemy is more difficult to kill now, so it seems that the weapons are weaker.

It's this. The fully upgraded SSG still owns hard though. Circlestrafe a baron and bring him down in 5-6 hits, even faster if you're swapping the gauss rifle between reloads

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think according to fanon he's ambidextrous for that reason. Makes sense, he's a more effective killing machine that way

I wanna see him dual wield something in the next game

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
XboneX here. When I tried multiplayer vs bots, it was very fast and smooth and very fun. I never experienced launch-day MP but from what I've read it sounds like an entirely different game from what I experienced. If MP wasn't dead I'd probably play Doom MP and Overwatch exclusively right now.

The downside is the multiplayer is dead. Might be better on PC but on Xbox it's dead, dead, dead. Literally not one single person playing Doom MP, ever, in the times I looked for games. And it's a shame, because it was pretty fun. Shades of Runequake DM.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probably never. Bethesda bet it all on the multiplayer (lol) and probably figured that the players would do their job of providing supplementary single player material via Snapmap (double lol)

I really, really hope they fix this for Doom5 and put way more focus on the single player. I'm not holding my breath, but it's entirely possible.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vargatron posted:

Just make deathmatch the same as the single player mechanics and it would instantly be super fun.

Yup

Also make the multiplayer weapons available in single player

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
looking at the chart here: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Doom+%282016%29

I was extremely surprised to see PC sales did so poorly. Only 340k, that's crazy. Xbone and PS4 blew PC sales out of the water.

edit:

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah but we have no idea what numbers they were hoping for when they were projecting sales and making budgets. That's what determines "success" to a company, not raw numbers.
yeah also this. Mass Effect Andromeda sold around 2-3 million as well, didn't it?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Cool story, got some better numbers? Because otherwise they seem good enough for the sake of light discussion.

Not counting steam sales would definitely explain the PC numbers at least. I mean wow

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

echronorian posted:

I would bet a majority of people that bought doom in 2016 would buy a sequel in the first month.
I'd slam that pre-order button so fuckin hard. It would be the first game I ever pre-ordered

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mr. Fortitude posted:

http://steamspy.com/app/379720

Not completely accurate but does give you a rough idea. Granted some of those copies were probably from third party sellers and deep discounts but 2,544,200 ± 49,83 owners isn't something to scoff at.

okay, those numbers definitely sound more in line with what I'd have expected from PC. So back-of-the-envelope calc, ~2.5M + ~3.6M = about 6M sales, give or take a margin of error that's smaller than I care about for the sake of this thread. That's a pretty respectable take. And if it's true that Bethesda was pleasantly surprised by how well it did, then I'm feeling better about the chances for a sequel.

Imagine how much it'd have sold if Bethesda marketed it properly, or hadn't front-loaded the multiplayer experience :allears:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/959113144663764992

The whole thread is p great

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pause glitch still works last time I tried it a couple weeks ago on the xbone

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
based on Bethesda's recent history, if there's a Doom 2 in the works I'm guessing they're gonna keep quiet about it until they announce its release in 4-6 months' time. So keep an ear to the ground around the times of any upcoming E3s or major gaming expos

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Doom 2: Hell on Earth (2019) features:

• Expansive open world
  • Intricate crafting system with 1,000s of potential options
  • Procedurally-generated NPCs and enemies
  • Massive battles the player can join and command
  • Space travel and over 10 classes of ships
  • Ship-to-ship combat
  • Hacking and lockpicking minigames
  • Resource mining
  • Up to 7 different romance options
  • Multiple endings

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 23, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

Chainsaw, BFG, rocket launcher, Gauss rifle, super shotgun, plasma rifle, and minigun?

well duh

You can also unlock some monster romances with the DLC

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

If VTARD has all that poo poo I’m gonna hurt somebody.

you can trust me, I'm from bethesda

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GutBomb posted:

gently caress bees

This is terrible advice

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:thunk:

:flashfap:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm excited to announce that in 2018 we're releasing Skyrim for DOOM! You can access and play the game through any interactive terminal.
__________/

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Backhand posted:

I would still love to try VR Doom. My computer is old as hell though and won't play nice with VR, and I'm saving up money to finally get out of my apartment and into a townhouse this year.

Has anybody here actually played it? Any good, if so? Or are we just kind of assuming it sucks since it's VR?

Anecdotal, but I have a few friends who've tried it and they all enjoyed it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I enjoyed every lovely cheesy moment from the one with Karl Urban and the Rock, so yes, very much so.

I dunno who Nina Bergman is, but she seems like a perfect Olivia casting, which makes it sound like they're going with the Doom2016 story, which I'm super excited for. I dunno how that would play out--I feel like the Doomslayer wouldn't be a great movie-length protagonist--but should be fun at the very least

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I’d think Tilda Swinton would be pretty inspired casting for Olivia.
okay yeah that would be even better, you're right

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wanderer posted:

My first thought is that they'd keep him as a silent protagonist, but there are new characters around him who do things like acting and moving the plot forward, leaving the Slayer to rip and tear.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

another possibility is they try to do a story about the fall of Argent D'Nur and the creation of the Doomslayer. I really hope they don't do that though, the Doomslayer should be a force of nature that has, as far as the audience knows, always been the Doomslayer.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

It’s hard for me to see how a Doom movie could be any good when the entire franchise is built around game mechanics that are fun to interact with, and barely any story at all. I could only see a movie being good if it had a retardedly high budget for just the visual spectacle of more and more demons getting gibbed by one pissed off dude with the most kick rear end weapons you can imagine.

Like, picture the movie 300 but with one Doomslayer instead of 300 Spartans and hundreds of thousands of demons instead of Persians and that’s a start.

p much what I'm hoping for yeah

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh. Booooo. When I heard Netflix, I'd hoped a Netflix Original, because then there'd be a chance of it being some kind of good.

Well, my hopes weren't high to begin with, but at least now I can stop worrying about it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm sure Beethoven's Treasure Trail is about the dog but still lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Bring It On, but with demons

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Donovan Trip posted:

If they're announcing Rage 2 for this christmas then there's probably definitely no Doom 2 this year
fixed, for the sake of avoiding broken hearts and whatnot

like it's still possible but I wouldn't bet money on it. Guess we'll find out for sure at E3 though

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Top Gun posted:

They should find a good dev to make single player Quake games now

Oh my god yes. I'm not gonna type out pages of fanfic here but since playing Doom2k16 I've been thinking a lot about how a quake 1 reboot would shake out, and if they took a similar approach story- and lore-wise it would be phenomenal. Please please please give me DO4M but in a technomedieval lovecraftian nightmare setting. Let me gib fiends and shamblers with glory kills and chop them up with my axe for health and ammo :circlefap:

E: also imo a reboot should also fold in the best parts of runequake for the base game. Also the grapple hook.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The from-behind pinky glory kill is also super loving weak

*rips off tail*
*gently smacks u with it across the face*

There was one other that really bothered me with how weak it felt, can't remember right now. If I don't remember I might play some doom later tonight to try and remember.

edit: I just looked it up and it's the Baron of Hell glory kill, also of the "let me gently kiss your cheek with your body part" variety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sos0MZCM-WI

It's so loving wimpy. They could at least gib the head on impact if they want to get the idea of "FINISH HIM" across. Or have Doomguy turn the horn around and stab it into the baron's fuckin brain, like he does with the pinky's tooth.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 16, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'd say Helllnkight is the weakest. Huge monsters like that have huge guts to rip and all doomguy does is punch them a bit.
Yeah, the kick also has the issue of "how the hell does this kill him?"

The punch is okay though, because at least the Hell Knight's head half-disintegrates when it gets punched

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I had a fun hour or so playing Harvest Doom. There's a handful of fun ones but the scene is dead

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Even on limited console controller setups you can take advantage of the last-weapon-used button to alternate two certain weapons.
Yeah, once I started using the weapon swap this way I was absolutely melting every monster including bosses. My two favorites are SS+gauss and SS+rocket launcher with remote detonator

BANGBANG-pew-BANGBANG-pew-BANGBANG-pew

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Apparently they just finished shooting for a new Doom movie, I didn't know they were even shooting one

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/09/new-doom-movie-looks-like-doom-and-the-other-doom-movie/

Edit: ew it has Dr. Betruger, not a good sign

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
IT'S loving HAPPENING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah it's unclear of it's meant to be the same Earth from doom2, just much further on the future, or if there's a many-worlds thing going on and Doom/2 took place in a parallel reality Earth or something. I prefer the latter, since it also allows doom3 to be part of the canon without the protagonist needing to be the doomslayer himself