Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I made a tweet to a bunch of old school id Software people saying they should play some Doom deathmatch for charity:

https://twitter.com/xenomrph/status/700399319019425792

3 of the 5 people I name dropped seemed to like the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Thats because it was on the Xbox and all the kids who played Halo(The First First Person Shooter, online multiplayer game). I'm pretty sure a ton of games had audio logs.

System Shock 2 had audio logs.

Yeah, I remember the Doom3 devs saying the audio logs were an homage to System Shock 2.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

the doom books went an incredibly weird direction after the second book.

the story is much better than doom 3.
The Doom books were one of many examples of Doom spin off stuff making ABSOLUTELY SURE not to include demons or hell in their story based on a game about demons from hell.

There are a pair of Doom3 novels that came out around 2008/2009, they don't outright say the monsters aren't demons from hell like other stuff did, but they're pretty noncommittal.

I really liked the story in Doom3, to be honest. I'm replaying the old Doom games in anticipation of the new one, I just wrapped up Doom 1 episode 4. That episode has some real motherfuckers.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The expansion had a few neat ideas going for it, like revisiting the Delta Labs and they're constantly phasing in and out of Hell, and the strong implication that your character dies at the end.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm replaying all the Doom games in anticipation of the new one, I just wrapped up Doom 1 episode 4, so it's onward to Doom 2 now (and all its expansion packs).

The Doom pump-action shotgun is still one of the most satisfying FPS weapons of all time, I love it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42 posted:

The pump action is good, but the SSG in Doom 2 is the real poo poo. That is the most satisfying weapon in any FPS. Boom, chunk-chunk. Boom, chunk-chunk. Mmm, soo good.

How did you like ep 4? It always kicks my rear end.

Episode 4 has some bullshit and it's a colossal step up in difficulty over episode 3. When the first level unexpectedly makes you fight a Baron of Hell and all you have is a shotgun with like 25 shells and a pistol with 30 bullets, you know the episode isn't loving around. :stare:

I had to look up YouTube walk through for a couple levels because I'd either have no idea where to go and didn't have the luxury of exploring because the floor is loving lava, or I'd get ambushed by a shitton of enemies and have no idea where a safe place to retreat to was.

Like the episode was fun and it's nowhere near the level of "gently caress you" that is the later Wolf3D Spear of Destiny episodes, but the difficulty scaling is pretty bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Heavy Metal posted:

Doom 3 RoE's super shotgun is great.
It's especially great when you use it with all of the Hell Artifact powers going. One-shotting a Hell Knight in slow-motion never gets old.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I want to play Final Doom and Master Levels Of Doom 2, am I better off doing the Steam/Dosbox version, or going with a source port?

I want as close to a vanilla old school Doom experience, no new bells and whistles like new lighting or jumping or new textures and poo poo. So I'd prefer to not have to grapple with a source port that added in a bunch of new poo poo, just so I can turn all of the new features off.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What's my best source port if I don't want to waste time fiddling with options in order to recreate vanilla, unmodified Doom? Like surely there's a source port of Doom out there for purists, with default settings that are just like the original game, right?

Like I want to play Doom, not the Star Wars Special Edition of Doom with new stuff tacked on.

Is Chocolate Doom my best bet?

Edit-- took too long to click Post! :downs:

Edit again--

If I'm using Chocolate Doom and I own Final Doom on Steam, is it easy to take the WADs from Steam and drop them into the source port or whatever?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 23, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42 posted:

Sourceports are the way to go always.

Skulltag or Zandronum for deathmatch, ZDoom, GZDoom or Doomsday for single player and co-op with fancy graphics and lighting,

But if you want strictly OG doom experience with no bells n whistles, the answer is clear:

Chocolate Doom.

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

Named such because its as close to vanilla doom as you can get without being literally vanilla doom which doesn't always run nice on modern hardware.
Is the Chocolate Doom link not cooperating for anyone else? The page keeps timing out for me, but "downforeveryoneorjustme" insists that it's up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42 posted:

Weird, when I linked it to you I went there first and it was fine, but now its not responding.

Avast antivirus has been flagging the site as "not safe", as well. :ohdear:

Let's derail for a bit and talk about the Doom movie. :can:

I like the Doom movie as a generic sci fi action movie, even if it's a real bad "Doom" movie. I thought it had some neat characters and did some clever and interesting things, and the FPS sequence was pretty sweet.
On the other hand I really wanted a Doom movie with actual fireball-throwing demons from capital-H fire-and-brimstone Hell, and crazy flashing pentagrams and bleeding walls and demonic voices and poo poo.
Instead we got something like the Resident Evil movies, where it's a fun brainless action movie but really doesn't have anything in common with the games.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poptart_fairy posted:

The movie is a terrible, guilty pleasure of mine and I love rewatching it every so often. Just for the FPS scene but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMA8NmdyW4

I love how they went with practical effects where possible, regardless of how goofy they look (that loving Baron :laffo:), but I'm secretly jealous someone got paid to dress up like that and wrestle with Karl Urban.
Speaking of the FPS bit, pay attention to the FPS-style credits at the end of the movie: the names of actors who survived the movie don't get shot

I'll never get tired of watching Richard Brake (Portman) being a smarmy rear end in a top hat. See also: 'Outpost'

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

I thought the Doom movie was not the worse video game to movie translation that lost everything about the video game in the process. I think they did a good job cutting it together and keeping the main details there.

Except for the kungfu battle at the end.

Well the main details except "demons" and "hell" of course.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zigmidge posted:

use your imagination, nerd
I don't even know what that means in that context

Tenzarin posted:

It was just after doom 3 so yes it was correct.

Or that either

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 27, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bungbroy posted:

This looks like a really good movie, I wanna see it.

It's by the same people who did the Russian music video "Bad Motherfucker" in 2013, it's worth looking up on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just beat the level Refueling Base in Doom II on Ultra Violence. That level can go gently caress itself; here's a video for those that need a refresher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XxbzcJS70

It's pretty straightforward if you go into it with a good stock of ammo, but I was going into it with about 30 bullets, 17 shotgun shells, 2 rockets, and 0 energy cells, which means I was using the loving chainsaw on like 70% of the enemies. Basically if it wasn't a Pain Elemental, Revenant, Arachnotron, Chaingunner, or Cyberdemon, I was chainsawing it in order to bank enough ammo to carry over to the next level. That means I was dealing chainsaw justice to well over 200 enemies.

:smithicide:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mung Dynasty posted:

I honestly don't feel like Doom II's Ultraviolence is very well balanced, and this exact level is why. gently caress it.

The icing on the poo poo cake is that the next level starts you off in a crossfire from like 15 enemies right from jump, meaning there's no good place to save at the start of the level. I got my rear end kicked which meant I had to reload a save from the prior level and replay the last quarter of the level all over again, making sure I saved before hitting the exit button.

:suicide:

crondaily posted:

You remember just how truly bad Doom 3 was after watching that video. Long live D1/2.
I still really like Doom3, even if it's a different sort of game than Doom 1 and 2. Maybe I'm more tolerant of genre shifts because I'm an Alien fan where that kind of thing happens with every sequel.

Doom 3 scared the gently caress out of me, it was like a really well crafted demonic haunted house, with a great balance of frantic combat and insane tension.
The flow of Doom 2's gameplay is pretty different from the first game, Doom 1 has a good amount of tension and scary dark alcoves and "gotcha" monster closets. Doom 2 was the one that introduced enormous hordes of enemies that you mow down with the chaingun.
In that way Doom 3 really is a refined version of the original game's sensibilities, using contemporary game design technology.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Heavy Metal posted:

I also really dig Doom 3, though I'd love to see more 90s FPS design stuff that got lost along the way make a comeback too. Like levels with a few directions to explore, faster pace, etc.
Related to this, how were the modern Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes? I own both on Steam but haven't had a chance to play them yet - my PC largely poo poo the bed and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet due to other expenses.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dogstile posted:

If you didn't enjoy the Doom, Silent Hill films or the Resident evil films, you may be taking your films a bit to seriously. Watch them while drunk.
The Silent Hill movie is surprisingly solid.

I maintain that the Doom movie is a competent generic sci fi action movie with above average acting, action, and practical effects, even if it's a bad Doom movie.

Likewise the first Resident Evil movie is a pretty sweet generic zombie movie, even if it's a bad Resident Evil movie.
The RE sequels are good as mindless popcorn entertainment of varying quality from movie to movie, even if they aren't high art.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong. This one was an advertisement to renew subscription for Nintendo Power:

In a pre-CGI age, that ad means one of two things happened:

1. Someone spent hours lovingly drawing really realistic toenail clippings in a jar

2. Someone actually collected up a jar full of toenail clippings, and then photographed it

Both possibilities are pretty loving wacky!

And speaking of wacky, when I'm not phone posting I've been meaning to do a mild :effort:-post about Doom merchandise and memorabilia (and not just the Doom comic, which I'd love to get a physical copy of).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mung Dynasty posted:

I own the Doom novels and a few of the pewter figurines from Reaper Miniatures, as well as the poster that came in the Master Levels box. I'd love to know what else is out there (besides the obviously available stuff on Bethesda's store).
Well in true Doom fashion, here's a trio of plushies:

Yes they're on the Bethesda store, but they're too funny not to link. My cat likes to kidnap the Cacodemon when I'm at work, it's extra funny because it's bigger than her head and she can barely get a grip on it with her mouth.

As Mung Dynasty mentioned there's the pewter miniatures by Reaper, here's a pic of them all painted up:

For scale, the Pinky demon is a little under an inch tall.
I have the Pinky demon, I think I got it for preordering Doom 3. I've been trying to find the others on eBay over the years, but they're not exactly common and they tend to fetch higher prices than I'm willing to pay.

The now out-of-print Doom boardgame is also pretty great, it's basically Space Hulk with a Doom 3 skin. 1 player controls the demons while all other players control a Marine, and they shoot their way through various levels while the demon player tries to be as big of an rear end in a top hat as possible. Surrounding players with teleported monsters, making guns jam at the worst possible moment, locking doors between players to split up the group, there's a bunch of options for the demon player to be a colossal fucker and it's hilarious.

And if you've got $400 to burn, there's the Doom anniversary statue, which is totally loving ridiculous:

Photos don't quite do this thing justice, so here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0uRObd_Bg

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 6, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4

The irony being that you're the retard

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I probably have more copies of Doom than any other game, due in no small part to it being ported to every platform under the sun. poo poo I've got it on my iPhone, so I can blast demons with a shotgun at a moment's notice.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zigmidge posted:

This thread isn't bad enough so let's try to get it there: Explain the differences betweeen UT and Doom and Quake without referencing fluff.
Doom has you shotgunning demons from hell, the other two don't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alain Post posted:

The Blops and Blops2 campaigns are the best. I love the part where you play as the bad guy, a south american drug lord, and go on a first-person Coke Rampage. Almost every level has one bit in it that's just completely out there bizarre.

Anyway, this isn't really on-topic so I'll stop. I just love Treyarch's crazy-rear end campaigns.

I haven't played Blops 3 yet, but the World at War/Blops/Blops2 story arc was cool, and Menendez is the best, most compelling villain in any Call of Duty game.

Oh and his machete rampage level owned. JOSEFINAAAAAA!

Blackfyre posted:

So who is thinking about picking this up with that Revenant statue (which also comes with nothing else, no art book or anything)?

Anyone? :ohdear:
I have it on preorder through Amazon, because Prime members get it for 20% off.

Also it has a steelbook case for the game, too.

Oh and for all you folks who preordered Wolfenstein The New Order two years ago, your Doom beta code is finally useful: the closed multiplayer beta starts March 31st.

Oh and if you're like me and enjoy meaningless video game swag bullshit, GameStop now has the second of four Doom trading cards. They're doing one a month leading up to the game's release.
February - Revenant
March - Mancubus
April - Cacodemon
May - Cyberdemon

They're literally free trading cards, they don't have DLC codes or anything on them.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 10, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got done re-reading the 7th Doom novel.

"7th?" I hear you say, "but Xeno, there's only 6."

I'm talking about the one that no one thinks about, the one that's a spin-off of a spin-off.

That's right, the Doom movie novelization.

The book is interesting because parts of it are clearly based on the earlier version of the movie's script when it was set on a distant planet called Olduvai rather than Mars (until the lack of Mars leaked to the public and there was pretty huge fan backlash, so the filmmakers changed it on the fly), and while the vast majority of the plot plays out exactly the way we see it in the final movie, there's whole scenes in the book that are added in. I haven't read the script for the movie (I don't even know if it's available online, I haven't looked), so I don't know if the author was writing scenes that were in the script but cut out, or if he was creating material from whole cloth.

I'm skimming over [url=http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Doom.pdf[/url]an early draft[/url] and yeah, it looks like the author fabricated a bunch of new scenes. I can say that the new scenes would have made the movie more coherent and better overall, but it'd have likely ballooned the budget quite a bit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm laughing way harder at this than I probably should be.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The executions kinda rub me the wrong way, they don't really feel like Doom. Like, the first 3 games were about being a desperate soldier tackling insane odds and fighting your way into and out of Hell, but it was still a harrowing, dangerous experience. Seeing the player character willingly "rip and tear" demons with his bare hands as if he's doing Mortal Kombat fatalities on everyone in sight makes him seem like a sociopath.

I had a similar problem with the Mad Max game and the ease with which he could become a brutally efficient Batman-esque combat monster. It kind of severely undermines the whole "underdog fighting impossible odds" vibe and instead makes the character seem like a bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mung Dynasty posted:

Vanilla Doom is God's own creation and modding or playing it in any other fashion is a terrible sin.
This is the gospel truth. I was baffled by how hard it was to find a source port that was just "vanilla Doom".

Brutal Doom v20's sprites, explosions, gameplay flow, and animation style make it feel like it's a Duke Nukem total conversion. Like it seriously feels like it's running on the Build engine, it's weird.

Groovelord Neato posted:

only the first four are canon

Actually none of them are, since they don't have demons from hell. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jia posted:

Heretic is actually an extremely good game, and once you get used to the level layouts Hexen isn't bad either (except for the lack of weapons per class, pretty unforgivable sin)

Doom 2 is the greatest game ever released and is a thousand times better than the original game if only for the expanded bestiary.

Doom 2 is to Doom like Left 4 Dead 2 is to Left 4 Dead - it's less of a sequel and more of an expansion and refinement.

I've got two levels to go in my Doom 2 playthrough and then it's onward to Doom 3. :toot:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doom 3 owns, I've always enjoyed it. This will probably be my 5th time replaying it since it came out.

Also holy gently caress the Icon of Sin in Doom 2 can gently caress right off on Ultra Violence difficulty. I've failed this mission about 11 times now, and it's consistently either due to bullshit random enemy spawns, or mis-timing firing the rocket into the boss's brain.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

JerryLee posted:

What does UV actually change on that map, anyway? I think there's like a revenant on the higher difficulties and the invul spheres might be gone as well? Neither of those should make a severe difference. Does it affect the Icon spawn mechanics?

Yeah there's the Revenant, and the invulnerability spheres are gone. It doesn't change the spawn mechanics.

I've just been dicked over by the enemy spawns repeatedly now. I had an enemy spawn ON the little lift you ride up twice now, the first time I got knocked off the lift, the second time I accidentally killed myself with a point blank rocket shot.

Edit-- Icon of Sin is dead, stock Doom2 complete on Ultraviolence, now I'm just going to knock out the No Rest For The Living maps and then it's Doom3 time. :getin:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 21, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

khwarezm posted:

You march right back to the original games young man, and you complete Final doom before even thinking about Doom 3, especially the Plutonia experiment!

Edit: Then Doom 64.
I would, but my PC is inoperable right now (PC repairs forthcoming once my tax refund comes through) and my N64 is about to be modded, but I plan to do both once I'm able to. :hellyeah:

In the meantime, here's an old print ad for SNES Doom I stumbled across on eBay. Excuse the watermark.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FanaticalMilk posted:

It wasn't until the Giant Bomb did their Doom 2 thing that I realized Doom II is supposed to take place on earth, and those levels are supposed to represent cities and towns.
The game is literally titled "Doom II: Hell on Earth", and the plot screens tell you that you're on earth and stuff. :psyduck:

Like where did you think you were? The "Suburbs" of Hell, where Jim McDemon and his wife and 2.5 demon kids live in a lovely subdivision run by an HOA that makes Satan Himself seem like an okay guy?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Levitate posted:

Heretic is boring. I tried, I really did, but it's a pale Doom clone.

Hexen is fun if you know what to do/where everything is. First time through it's a bitch. It's also super fun as co-op

Later Doom 2 levels (specifically the city levels as mentioned) get too annoying and you run around trying to find keys rather than shooting poo poo but it's OK. There's one red key you have to get in a level (I forget the name of even though I just played it) where you have to activate a switch to bring down a wall to open up a teleporter that you then go through which takes you to some place where you don't get the red key...you have to go through the teleporter, and then turn around and go BACK through it and it teleports you to a different place where the key is. Who's the bright motherfucker who came up with that idea? It's not clever it's just annoying as gently caress.
I know exactly what key you're talking about, I think it's in the map "Downtown". The game doesn't give you any indication that going back through the teleporter will send you anywhere other than where you came from. And as an added "gently caress you", the red key is in plain sight, there's just no obvious way to get it.

I ended up resorting to a YouTube walk through to figure that poo poo out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ball Cupper posted:

Hell, you don't even need the red key for the regular exit. Just skip it entirely.
Are you sure we're all thinking of the same map? I'm phone posting at work so I can't really check YouTube, so I'll check when I get home.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A.o.D. posted:

I'm sure Bethesda will release expansive mod support enabling this.

:negative:
You mean like Snapmap?

Like seriously I'm pretty sure any really obvious modes we want that aren't included in the base game will get developed by the community via Snapmap within an hour of launch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A.o.D. posted:

I was under the impression that Snapmap was more akin to the Portal 2 community testing initiative than an actual set of mod development tools.
The way I've seen it described, it lets you make completely new game modes wholesale, like Forge. So if the base game doesn't have Deathmatch or whatever, you can create it in Snapmap.

There's a Quakecon video about it on YouTube; I'm phone posting right now but I'll be on my computer in a sec and I'll find it.

Edit: Snapmap video: http://youtu.be/9-yT1l_4QZs

Edit again: another video http://youtu.be/q1s7dxotmoo

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dewgy posted:

:perfect:

So I assume I'm getting some kind of multiplayer beta access for pre-ordering Wolfenstein TNO, when's that?
Did you redeem your access code that came with Wolf TNO? If so you'll get emailed your beta access instructions before the beta launches on March 31st.